You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

So this happened ...

27 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles

fEHXjxy.jpg

I was too busy laughing to apologize. Fortunately he was a good sport about it. The 140k double dev-strike he had 1m before I detonated him with my secondaries must've put him in a good mood ...

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,765 posts
10,628 battles

Ohh wow. How is this even... IDK, I got nothing. Magic, I tell you. Pure magic. One of the gunners threw a flaming bottle of sake or something.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,518 posts
16,316 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ohh wow. How is this even... IDK, I got nothing. Magic, I tell you. Pure magic. One of the gunners threw a flaming bottle of sake or something.

My working theory is that one 127mm HE shell hit the water right near his mag, went pop, the splash damage reached his mag and triggered a det roll. That's just a theory though.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,308 posts
16,197 battles

I once saw two friendly destroyers fail to sink an AFK Yamato who got a Close Quarters off the Gearing and Detonated Z-52. We managed to win that game and not surprisingly the enemy player who did the most for its team was the AFK Yamato. 

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,440 posts
24,062 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

My working theory is that one 127mm HE shell hit the water right near his mag, went pop, the splash damage reached his mag and triggered a det roll. That's just a theory though.

That's what I think too.

[DENY]
Members
8,941 posts
9,951 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's the only thing it could be. From experience, being det'd by secondaries sucks. xD A CO did it to me in a Fubuki, back in the day. It's my only PvP det. Thank heavens.

[SALVO]
Members
23,440 posts
24,062 battles
21 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I once saw two friendly destroyers fail to sink an AFK Yamato who got a Close Quarters off the Gearing and Detonated Z-52. We managed to win that game and not surprisingly the enemy player who did the most for its team was the AFK Yamato. 

Bear, this is why I think that it's rather dumb to get into secondary gun range of an AFK and let the AFK spot you.  Better to just stealth torp him and/or shoot at him from outside sec gun range (if you can in your DD).

Beta Testers
284 posts
5,056 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Then Boom goes the dynamite right?

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

What I think as well. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
5,056 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Flaming bottle of sake? Really? Sounds a little too Whale Wars for me.

Whale Wars.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,040 posts
10,932 battles

Secondaries hit the secret mag on top of the flag pole.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,765 posts
10,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Flaming bottle of sake? Really? Sounds a little too Whale Wars for me.

Whale Wars.jpg

Yeah, but... with a Japanese ship on both sides, I didn't know what else to suggest.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
52 minutes ago, Lert said:

Or hit an already saturated module and the splash damage hit the magazine (have had that happen).

[NDA]
Supertester
5,308 posts
16,197 battles
45 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Bear, this is why I think that it's rather dumb to get into secondary gun range of an AFK and let the AFK spot you.  Better to just stealth torp him and/or shoot at him from outside sec gun range (if you can in your DD).

Now see you have the right idea but the Gearing missed his torps on a stationary AFK Yamato so opened up with guns to set fires. The Z-52 was on less that 1k hp and some how got spotted while dumping torps. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,543 posts
18,077 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

fEHXjxy.jpg

I was too busy laughing to apologize. Fortunately he was a good sport about it. The 140k double dev-strike he had 1m before I detonated him with my secondaries must've put him in a good mood ...

Only you. (Did it get a down vote yet?)

[SALVO]
Members
23,440 posts
24,062 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Now see you have the right idea but the Gearing missed his torps on a stationary AFK Yamato so opened up with guns to set fires. The Z-52 was on less that 1k hp and some how got spotted while dumping torps. 

For crying out loud, did the Gearing launch at 16 km? or at the Yammy while it was bow on?  If there were no enemies nearby (not counting the afk yammy), I'd have closed to close to concealment range before launching.  And if the other DD was nearby, one of them could have smoked up and shot, while the other just spotted.   Ah well....

Members
330 posts
4,007 battles

That's odd but pretty cool at the same time.

Had a match last week in a Bismarck vs a Yammy. The lolpens were funny so I decided to ram him. Then last minute I decided not to and instead wondered how many cits I could score sailing by him. So I aimed my guns to the side and skirted by him and let him have it. Scored 5 cits for 55k+ and sunk him. Couldn't believe it. Was kind of stunned for a bit.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,765 posts
10,628 battles
11 hours ago, Chrifister said:

Scored 5 cits for 55k+ and sunk him. Couldn't believe it. Was kind of stunned for a bit.

IIRC waaaay back when, the rule used to be "No shot can perforate a plate unless it has 1000 feet per second velocity for each calibre in thickness" (paraphrasing Oscar Parkes, British Battleships). So a 10 inch shell with 1000 fps will pierce a 10 inch plate; with 2000fps it will go through 20 inches, etc. (assumes perpendicular striking angle, i.e. best case). Note that this was for iron shot against homogenous wrought iron armour, and there have been revisions and conversion factors since for Harvey, Krupp and various forms of face-hardened steel or compound armour (DK Brown, Warrior to Dreadnought), while shells have also had their own improvements.

I'm not sure whether this is the metric WG is using, but at zero range it should not be unrealistic for a Bismarck to put its shells through a Yamato's side armour and get to the soft juicy centre. That thing is tough, but it's not invincible.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[MARE]
Members
381 posts
11,242 battles
27 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC waaaay back when, the rule used to be "No shot can perforate a plate unless it has 1000 feet per second velocity for each calibre in thickness" (paraphrasing Oscar Parkes, British Battleships). So a 10 inch shell with 1000 fps will pierce a 10 inch plate; with 2000fps it will go through 20 inches, etc. (assumes perpendicular striking angle, i.e. best case). Note that this was for iron shot against homogenous wrought iron armour, and there have been revisions and conversion factors since for Harvey, Krupp and various forms of face-hardened steel or compound armour (DK Brown, Warrior to Dreadnought), while shells have also had their own improvements.

I'm not sure whether this is the metric WG is using, but at zero range it should not be unrealistic for a Bismarck to put its shells through a Yamato's side armour and get to the soft juicy centre. That thing is tough, but it's not invincible.

Those sound like really interesting books, good references. And on the topic of Bismarck citadelling Yamato, I've done it on several occasions... it's extremely possible. (though I'll admit I was within 5 km most of those times I believe)

[SYN]
Members
5,469 posts
12,704 battles

Flasks containing pure oxygen reacts just as poorly to incoming 127mm as anything else, I guess.  GJ.

Promote your secondary crew.