Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Deuce5150

The Fletcher Four

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
30 posts
3,077 battles

I've been poking around the wiki and have become enamored with the idea of having all four Fletcher class ships in the game - Fletcher, Kidd, Chung Mu and Black.  In my opinion, the type is exactly what I think of when someone says "destroyer". 

I have the easy to obtain one (Kidd) and am frankly terrible in it.  I have had a couple decent games, but the rest have been disasters - as my awful stats would attest.  I went about destroyers all wrong and just bought high tier premiums, which was clearly a mistake.  So, I'm putting myself on a D.I.P. (Destroyer Improvement Plan) and am going to grind the US Destroyer line followed by the Pan-Asian line.  Both at least to tier 9.

Then, maybe some day when the clouds part and pigs with wings streak across the sky, I'll earn a Black.

Anybody here have all four?  Are they different enough from each other to enjoy them all?

Edited by Deuce5150
  • Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
492 posts
16,775 battles

I have all but the Black.  They are similar & different in many ways...especially the Chung Mu which I really like.  I found the Pan-Asian line rather rough till I reached the Fushun but from there they have been great.  Fletcher is well rounded and possibly the best T9 DD.  Kidd is solid and the repair comes in handy so you can play a bit more aggressive.  Like all US destroyers, the guns take some getting used to at a distance but up close they are deadly.  Good luck with your quest!  Semper Paratus.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
2 hours ago, Deuce5150 said:

I've bee poking around the wiki and have become enamored with the idea of having all four Fletcher class ships in the game - Fletcher, Kidd, Chung Mu and Black.  In my opinion, the type is exactly what I think of when someone says "destroyer". 

I have the easy to obtain one (Kidd) and am frankly terrible in it.  I have had a couple decent games, but the rest have been disasters - as my awful stats would attest.  I went about destroyers all wrong and just bought high tier premiums, which was clearly a mistake.  So, I'm putting myself on a D.I.P. (Destroyer Improvement Plan) and am going to grind the US Destroyer line followed by the Pan-Asian line.  Both at least to tier 9.

Then, maybe some day when the clouds part and pigs with wings streak across the sky, I'll earn a Black.

Anybody here have all four?  Are they different enough from each other to enjoy them all?

Well you've got one, so only three more to go! :cap_like:

The Chung Mu the Pan-Asian Tier 9

Fletcher the American Tier 9

and finally Black, which is available by reaching Rank 1 in five separate seasons of Ranked Battles.

A lot of grinding and hard worked needed but a great goal to aim for! The Black is one I see very rarely. She is certainly a worthy prize to chase! 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,659 battles

From only the Fletcher and from what I hear of the rest of them, Fletcher is by far the most balanced.

Black, though I cannot say this outside of a personal opinion, is a good ship; but you have to remember who ends up earning that one. The only people who can get a chance to play it are outstanding themselves.

The Kidd has some issues with torpedo count (so that one is not on my list... though I would still like to have it), and the Chung Mu has torpedoes designed only to go after larger ships (which I will get to eventually).

Regarding the guns on the Fletcher, I've unlocked the additional range module but have not bought it. Simply put, if you are firing outside of the initial range, it is more often a waste of shells and opens you up to being detected by more threats. In a one-on-one against other DD's at 6km's (<the lowest you can get the concealment before using camo) you should win most any gun battle with another DD. Not saying that you will come out unscathed or eat a torp, but you should be able to hold your own as far as guns go. Even against the Russian DD's, as long as you are close enough to get those shells on target, you match them rather easily.

The Torpedoes have plenty and then some range and has the capacity to hit any ship. Just throwing this all out there, but if/when you get the Fletcher, you shouldn't be disappointed if you can figure out its strengths and weaknesses. I use the guns only against other DD's when they spot me (or if I'm in smoke and have to wait for torps to reload) and throw out torps like Mardi Gras beads. The only thing I really have to worry about in the Fletcher are other DD's and Carriers.

From what I hear of the Kidd by comparison, it's torpedo's are a slight problem. The guns and hull are the same as a Fletcher but the torpedoes are what makes or breaks a DD in my opinion and being that you only have one launcher, it's not the best setup for guaranteeing a hit on a ship. Benson torpedo's are good, but the Benson has 2 launchers and is possibly my most favorite DD in the game lol. Fletcher itself has a little more to prove before it can win my affection over the Benson; but it's making progress.

The Black is not in the cards for me. 5 times winning rank 1 is a definite no go. The Kidd... unless it goes down in price or I can earn it for free, I wont be getting. But I will get the Chung Mu eventually; that's a certainty. Actually curious just how different it might actually play compared to the Fletcher.

Members
26 posts
6,551 battles

I have Fletcher and Chung Mu.  Fletcher is my favorite dd in the game, and I've played all of them except Yueyang and the Germans.  Fletcher with torp reload mod and torp expertise captain skill gets the torp reload time down to 81s, which is amazing at T9.  On top of excellent reload, the torps have 10.5km range and hit for over 19k damage.  This suits my play style really well, and I thoroughly enjoy this ship. 

The Chung Mu has the same guns as the Fletcher, better concealment (0.1km) and DW torps that can have a pretty decent reload with the module and capt skill as well.  However, not being able to torp dd's while cap contesting can cause you to play it slightly differently.  If you catch a DD in cap whose smoke is on CD, and you can get him to fire at you, you can smoke and gun him fairly effectively because your smoke CD is so quick, and you have so many charges, that yours will likely be ready to go.  DW torps are incredibly stealthy, and they have the same range and speed as Fletcher torps.  They are incredibly effective against their targets.  

Both ships are very effective and fun to play.  I find them different enough to play them slightly differently, and I think it is worth earning both of them.  Good luck on your grindy grind.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,100 posts
15,399 battles

chungmu is best random  t9  DD in the game  followed by z46.    the smoke is awesome on it and  very easy to  keep friendly  cruiser happy with it.   who need torp when you have firepower handy. 

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Good luck with your grind, it will be worth it! :) Please feel free to share when you've obtained them, as we're all rooting for you. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
14,123 battles

Hah! sounds familiar.  I bought into closed beta by purchasing a bundle that included the Sims. I only played it a few times before recognizing the right thing to do for both myself and in consideration of others that would find me on their team that I should keep it in port until I had developed the skills to be effective in that ship.

Kidd is a stout, stealthy gun boat that excels in randoms  Her role is capturing, scouting, countering DDs, and lighting fires on BBs.  Kidd can be problematic for all but the best CV players, I find it an advantage to matched against them because it disadvantages other DDs and provides opportunity for you to get more XP.  Kidd is forgiving and has longevity, you often get a second chances with your heal, and return from near death to continue inflicting damage on the enemy and capture or re-capture objectives.

Sign in to follow this