You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

If you play destroyers, stop smoking in the cap

83 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
3,842 posts
9,054 battles

I just read a thread where a bunch of people talked about how they smoked cap circles as destroyer players. Apparently this is common even among forum readers (I see it all the time in randoms, too).

The process generally looks like:

1. Sail into cap
  2. Slow down, smoke
  3. Park stationary
    1. Bonus points if you are full broadside

If this is you, stop it because you are in nearly all cases actively hurting your team. Particularly if you are the sort that dies to torpedoes in caps enough that you remember having it happen because then not only are you hurting your team directly by throwing your ship away, you are indirectly hurting your team.

The reasons it hurts your team:

• You immediately give away your position
  • You immediately block line of sight to enemies
    • This is even worse if you sit in smoke and especially if you die 
  • You tell enemy destroyers "torp here" 
  • You tell enemy radar cruisers "hey, now you can know for sure if you'll radar something"
  • You tell decent enemy CVs "cross drop here for auto dd kill"
  • Most destroyers treat smoke as an "I'm safe" blanket and don't bother getting exit plans

There are literally no benefits to doing this, either, except for against mediocre or worse CV players who might not spot you.

• Cool 14
  • Boring 3

[O7]
Members
595 posts
9,883 battles

Here's a better idea. You play your ship how you want, and let others do the same. Sound fair?

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,786 battles

Even more important PSA, pop smoke before the CV spots you, I've farmed maybe 30 to 50 Dev strikes in my Taiho because of this.

Your not invisible, your just a stationary, visible, target. And that is an easy kill.

Members
100 posts
352 battles

As a low tier CV player, Bogue and Hosho, I agree that when i see a smoke cloud in a cap its like a big shoot here sign. My issue is that I need something spotted to actually drop torps. I know of manual control, but so far getting that to work is illusive. 

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,786 battles
2 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

As a low tier CV player, Bogue and Hosho, I agree that when i see a smoke cloud in a cap its like a big shoot here sign. My issue is that I need something spotted to actually drop torps. I know of manual control, but so far getting that to work is illusive. 

You don't know? 

Low tier CVs can't. It sucks, right?

Members
100 posts
352 battles
Just now, megadeux said:

You don't know? 

Low tier CVs can't. It sucks, right?

Well, that answers that mystery of the universe!

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,665 posts
3,895 battles

I've taken to either backing into the cap or turning around and staying near an island.

It certainly helps me escape in the 100% guaranteed situation of "Enemy spots me, enemy team targets & opens fire, my team is nowhere useful because they'd rather hide behind islands and force me to do everything & then complain when I am driven out of the cap with no support".

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,786 battles
Just now, Verios44 said:

Well, that answers that mystery of the universe!

I really want to play US CVs as well, but low tiers are so boring compared to the fast paced, high stakes CV battles at high tiers that I can't bear the grind.

[SWOB]
Members
42 posts
11,744 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

I've taken to either backing into the cap or turning around and staying near an island.

It certainly helps me escape in the 100% guaranteed situation of "Enemy spots me, enemy team targets & opens fire, my team is nowhere useful because they'd rather hide behind islands and force me to do everything".

You are smarter than 99% of the player base

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,665 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, uncLe_ownTer said:

You are smarter than 99% of the player base

And yet a unicum who's only ever played low tier IJN destroyers, badly, calls me a potato in IJN destroyers and constantly insists I play them wrong/tells me how I should play them via providing 100% incorrect advice based on uninformed assumptions about base stats.

Anyway the point I was making was: If you want destroyers to do anything in caps maybe you should at least have LOS on them so you can shoot the things they encounter.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
3,842 posts
9,054 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

And yet a unicum who's only ever played low tier IJN destroyers, badly, calls me a potato in IJN destroyers and constantly insists I play them wrong/tells me how I should play them.

I... think you misread his statement.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,665 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I... think you misread his statement.

I didn't. It wasn't directed at him. Just vaguely related venting about some of the stupidity I encounter around here.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,646 posts
17,878 battles

I personally do not care how anyone plays their DD.

But if you are on my team and i am in a U.S cruiser you best be dropping that smoke were I tell you to lol.:Smile_Default:

unless you happen to be on the opposite side of the map or dead already.

*Does not apply to skilled DD players.... They already know what I am thinking.

[OO7]
Members
3,842 posts
9,054 battles
Just now, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I personally do not care how anyone plays their DD.

But if you are on my team and i am in a U.S cruiser you best be dropping that smoke were I tell you to lol.:Smile_Default:

unless you happen to be on the opposite side of the map or dead already.

*Does not apply to skilled DD players.... They already know what I am thinking.

smoke was dropped right at the cap sorry no smokes left on cooldown!

[ARGSY]
Members
15,604 posts
10,446 battles
25 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

There are literally no benefits to doing this, either, except

...sooner or later, usually sooner in my experience, an enemy ship will come, and I would rather it doesn't know exactly where I am - especially if it doesn't actually HAVE torpedoes and there are no carriers in my game.

Not everybody plays at a level with radar cruisers, or even hydro cruisers.

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,786 battles

This is why I run TRB, that way I'm not tempted to use my smoke as a crutch. It also is a great teacher for positioning.

• Cool 1

Members
4,476 posts

I've caught a DD with Mutsu's torps in smoke.  The DD was never spotted, but I suddenly saw smoke appear.  Well, knew right away it was a DD, fired off a couple of torps into the smoke and turned away to continue engaging other enemies and somehow caught that DD napping, or something.  Best torp kill in a Mutsu yet.  The DD player raged in chat a bit, but I ignored it. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
33 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

What thread are you talking about ? 

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
76 posts
6,544 battles
23 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It certainly helps me escape in the 100% guaranteed situation of "Enemy spots me, enemy team targets & opens fire, my team is nowhere useful because they'd rather hide behind islands and force me to do everything & then complain when I am driven out of the cap with no support".

For self preservation, this tactic works very well.  And it leaves you living so as to deal massive damage on Red!  Once I get a cap or if I am forced to leave, the only way I am going back in is if there is nothing close to my detect range.

9 minutes ago, megadeux said:

This is why I run TRB, that way I'm not tempted to use my smoke as a crutch. It also is a great teacher for positioning.

And to the OP, you will never get smoke from this Kagero, but you will get 16 downrange in 10 seconds!