You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Warhawk1984

Ranger Where am i going wrong

29 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
31 battles

please see the pic below i appreciate i have only played 21 battles in the ranger but to be running at a 38% win rate i am clearly doing something wrong yet when i look at the stats i feel i am not doing to bad at all i mean close to 74k average damage 1.3k average exp a positive destruction ratio a decent aircraft destroyed per battle ratio so where am i going wrong. it would be easy to just blame the teams i am getting but i would rather find out if i am just playing this ship poorly. any advice or feedback would be appreciated if my stats are crap in this just tell me just don't compare me to unicum players shot-18_02.22_17_40.17-0464.thumb.jpg.6ff1d0f217e1788c640fca98712267ae.jpg

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

Could you perhabs post screenshots of your Captain and Modules?

Members
5 posts
31 battles

sure

2 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Could you perhabs post screenshots of your Captain and Modules?

sure                                          shot-18_02.22_17_56.34-0468.thumb.jpg.2cd7c71aee836ff2e8900e3bcfb14628.jpgshot-18_02.22_17_56.50-0310.thumb.jpg.6bf57860f477b68415cdbb01110e7053.jpg

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

Most of your opponents Kaga's or Saipans?  Even a Hiryu is going to give you problems,  really.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

Wait a second... :cap_hmm:

When looking through your Profile this showed up:

DjzsYIz.png

Okay, maybe the API screwed up, but wait another second...

1ZdQq89.png

31 battles? In both CoOp and Randoms?

Now that makes me think...

m6DmqDJ.png

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

Nevermind, you are from EU, my bad

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

Your build is okay, nothing to be improved there.

If you face a competent Saipan player, there is little that you can do. Hope that he leaves a flank open, make a fast strike there, other than that pray that your team wins on the sea. You can potentially sink him in one go, but don't rely on Carrier sniping.

Against the other three you need to strafe to make up for your equal/lower fighter count. Strike Destroyers whenever you can, and be mindful of Carrier snipes directed at you.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles

Tier 7 is a tough spot with two OP premium and the contemporary that outnumbers you, while most ships still cannot take care of themselves yet and will get toasted without your cover...which you cannot give everywhere at once. DFAA isn't issued yet, either, so snipe is still viable on both ends.

There's nothing to be done on the humongous detection range at this point too.

In short...Ranger is extremely disadvantaged as things are currently...

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

So, I grabbed ranger on the PT server, and I have to say that I find the ship mediocre. It could be the fact that the queue was spammed with high AA Richelieu's but it seems that the ship relies on DoT stacking. The strafe is nice, so be sure to use that. 

Please be aware that a CV cannot carry the team, or contest caps, it is up to your team to cap, you can only encourage them to do so. At that tier CVs have a lowish carry capacity, and the AA your ship can face is retarded. The easiest way to buy your team a win is to kill the DDs, then work on the BBs, but I don't know if that's feasable with a ship like that. 

Good luck captain!

Edited by megadeux

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles
Just now, megadeux said:

So, I grabbed ranger on the PT server, and I have to say that I find the ship mediocre. It could be the fact that the queue was slammed with high AA Richelieu's but it seems that the ship relies on DoT stacking. The strafe is nice, so be sure to use that. 

Please be aware that a CV cannot carry the team, or contest caps, it is up to your team to cap, you can only encourage them to do so. At that tier CVs have a lowish carry capacity, and the AA your ship can face is retarded. The easiest way to buy your team a win is to kill the DDs, then work on the BBs, but I don't know if that's feasable with a ship like that. 

Good luck captain!

If 72 is still lowish then your standards must be really high...

Beyond the Ranger is the Lex, which is more of the same thing plus tier 10 AA. What you learn in Ranger would go over to the Lex too.

Yes, kill destroyers. Take time to look at roster for which ship you should strike or stay away from. The rest is your strike/strafe ability and your own awareness...and pray your team don't derp...

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

If 72 is still lowish then your standards must be really high...

Beyond the Ranger is the Lex, which is more of the same thing plus tier 10 AA. What you learn in Ranger would go over to the Lex too.

Yes, kill destroyers. Take time to look at roster for which ship you should strike or stay away from. The rest is your strike/strafe ability and your own awareness...and pray your team don't derp...

No, it's damage is fine, in fact, I did the same damage when I played it. I'm talking carry capacity, a ship that relies on DoT stacking doesn't do a whole lot besides doing reparable damage to BBs. 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
359 posts
6,775 battles

WG killed the US CV line. Without that second fighter squadron, any Japanese ship running air superiority can lock you down permanently with their 3 fighter squadrons. The Saipan's only counter was when you had 2 squadrons in the air as well. You can barely (if you use allied AA) win a dogfight against its single squadron; you're screwed if it has two; which it most often does.

The only thing you can possibly compete against is any other US CV or a Japanese CV that is not running fighter builds (which luckily they don't). Everything else either swats your planes from the sky or locks you down.

Your only alternative is to either get lucky and get placed into a match against a Noob. Or learn to strafe like a pro. <Even that might not even help against a Saipan though.

Now, if it's actually dealing damage and has nothing to do with getting locked down, you simply need to get better at manual drops. Though for the US CV line, you're focus is bombers and not torpedoes. Even with 5 of them, it's not hard to dodge a single set of torpedo bombers. Now, if you had 2, that's a whole other story.

Edited by Levits

[THF41]
Members
249 posts
3,755 battles

Personally, I believe that Ranger is a Tier too high, more suited for Tier 6. Hopefully once they do a USN CV Line split(s), they can remedy that issue and Ranger will be more comfortable at Tier 6.

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

Tier for tier, Ranger is just the weakest carrier in the game. I would say just grind your way through her and be done with it.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
18 minutes ago, Levits said:

WG killed the US CV line. Without that second fighter squadron, any Japanese ship running air superiority can lock you down permanently with their 3 fighter squadrons. The Saipan's only counter was when you had 2 squadrons in the air as well. You can barely (if you use allied AA) win a dogfight against its single squadron; you're screwed if it has two; which it most often does.

The only thing you can possibly compete against is any other US CV or a Japanese CV that is not running fighter builds (which luckily they don't). Everything else either swats your planes from the sky or locks you down.

Your only alternative is to either get lucky and get placed into a match against a Noob. Or learn to strafe like a pro. <Even that might not even help against a Saipan though.

Now, if it's actually dealing damage and has nothing to do with getting locked down, you simply need to get better at manual drops. Though for the US CV line, you're focus is bombers and not torpedoes. Even with 5 of them, it's not hard to dodge a single set of torpedo bombers. Now, if you had 2, that's a whole other story.

Have you actually fought an AS IJN CV? They are basically as rare as unicorns. What the change did was to remove the cancer/noob magnet AS build on the US CVs. I have run into a skilled ranger player twice in my hiryu. Learn to abuse the powerful US strafe. The entire US CV line seems to be a noob magnet, I'm not saying that there are not good USN players out there, but the line seems to attract bad players. As a whole, IJN players generally learn strafe by tier 7, while USN players seem to figure it out at tier 9. 

As to Saipan, that ship is the definition of PTW, I don't think any same tier CV should be expected to nail a Saipan.

Edited by megadeux
  • Cool 1

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
359 posts
6,775 battles

The key things to getting a victory in the CV is to support more than doing damage.

If you think taking your planes across the map in an attempt to destroy the enemy CV is helping, you are wrong. I've seen this way too many times and not just from the Ranger. Your Ranger specifically however will never be able to take out a enemy CV in one strike and the time it takes you to get there takes you out of the battle for 1/4th of the game each time you try to get those planes across the map.

Use your planes to spot for enemy DD's. Use them to damage or finish off ships. But don't go after the enemy CV at the very start of the game.

Other than that, it's all about what is happening in the game. Prioritize spotting and/or going after DD's first. Battleships may seem like a more obvious target, but those DD's are going to get to you first and spot for the enemy BB's the whole time. Leave the cruisers for the allies unless a single cruiser is obviously kicking your teams rear.

You have the eyes in the sky and you can keep track of what is going on. It's a lot of micro management but you should be able to respond in place of the others. If a single enemy ship is being noticeably good, you should focus on it and/or point it out to the rest of the team.Really basic stuff.

In the end, I liked the Ranger back when it had two fighter squadrons, now, it's hard to keep my bombers in the air or I end up having to play defense the whole time it seems. I'll get damage in there guaranteed, but with the single fighter squadron, I can't get my planes to where they need to be without losing them before or after the attack to enemy fighters. Nor can I dedicate anything to spot for the team and spotting is usually the difference that determines the outcome of a battle.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
359 posts
6,775 battles
Just now, megadeux said:

Have you actually fought an AS IJN CV? They are basically as rare as unicorns.

Yes. A couple of times. And each time it is practically guaranteed who would win. I don't know why people don't play that build that often. It's practically a guaranteed victory against a Ranger. Strafing only does so much and is one of the easiest things to avoid when you only have to focus on one fighter squadron. I don't even have to worry about Rangers as there is nothing to keep track of. 1 fighter squadron, all I need to know is where it's at and I'm good. If it moves in to strafe, step to the side. I don't have to worry about any other fighter groups cutting me off.

As for the Saipan, I literally had a Saipan player tell me "Your planes shouldn't be able to destroy mine." when I had my two fighter squadrons engaged with his in a dogfight. WarGaming agreed.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
7 minutes ago, Levits said:

Yes. A couple of times. And each time it is practically guaranteed who would win. I don't know why people don't play that build that often. It's practically a guaranteed victory against a Ranger. Strafing only does so much and is one of the easiest things to avoid when you only have to focus on one fighter squadron. I don't even have to worry about Rangers as there is nothing to keep track of. 1 fighter squadron, all I need to know is where it's at and I'm good. If it moves in to strafe, step to the side. I don't have to worry about any other fighter groups cutting me off.

As for the Saipan, I literally had a Saipan player tell me "Your planes shouldn't be able to destroy mine." when I had my two fighter squadrons engaged with his in a dogfight. WarGaming agreed.

AS IJN CVs are uncommon because;

A: the damage is trash, almost every ship at that tier can shoot down that 1 TB squad, and you're always outdamaged by the enemy CV. 

B: 3 fighter micro is really difficult.

C: You rely way more on your team being good then any other CV does.

D: it's embarrassing when a CV strafes down half your fighters and he ends up out-killing you.

If I remember right, AS IJN CVs can be beaten like this: they always spread put their squads, so strafe it then engage it. When his second squad comes in, exit strafe that squad. By now he has fighter locked you, but it should be 5 vs 5 right now. Now wait till his third squad comes in, and then strike.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles
33 minutes ago, LordHood2552 said:

Personally, I believe that Ranger is a Tier too high, more suited for Tier 6. Hopefully once they do a USN CV Line split(s), they can remedy that issue and Ranger will be more comfortable at Tier 6.

You'll need to get another fleet carrier into tier 6 to get Ranger down there...that or restrict Ranger to the current stock hangar (slightly over 50). Ranger is at tier 7 only because it is a fleet carrier. What a mistake WG made in bumping up Independence to tier 6 while retaining tier 5 hangar capacity...had Independence been given its overload capacity of 45 it would've been on par with Ryujo's 48...

22 minutes ago, megadeux said:

The entire US CV line seems to be a noob magnet, I'm not saying that there are not good USN players out there, but the line seems to attract bad players. As a whole, IJN players generally learn strafe by tier 7, while USN players seem to figure it out at tier 9.

It's NA server...and US carriers really are easier to play due to less workload. When I played Shokaku on test I found myself overwhelmed quickly by my own squads...having so many squads is useless if you can't control all of them.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
3 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

You'll need to get another fleet carrier into tier 6 to get Ranger down there...that or restrict Ranger to the current stock hangar (slightly over 50). Ranger is at tier 7 only because it is a fleet carrier. What a mistake WG made in bumping up Independence to tier 6 while retaining tier 5 hangar capacity...had Independence been given its overload capacity of 45 it would've been on par with Ryujo's 48...

It's NA server...and US carriers really are easier to play due to less workload. When I played Shokaku on test I found myself overwhelmed quickly by my own squads...having so many squads is useless if you can't control all of them.

That was my gripe with the ranger when I played it. There was so few squads! Where is the fun in a CV if I'm not frantically trying to micro fighters+TBs+my ship+keeping an eye on the entire CVs planes, and trying to pull off a cross drop while at it! Besides, easier to play is no excuse for failing to learn micro.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Anyway, on topic, USN CVs will have a bad winrate by their very nature because of their lack of ability to hit DDs, and your sample size is too small, wait a bit an WR should go up.

[THF41]
Members
249 posts
3,755 battles
1 hour ago, pyantoryng said:

If you mean to get another fleet carrier into Tier 7 to replace Ranger (which is what I believe I think you meant), it would be Ranger Tier 6, Lexington Tier 7 (another one over-tiered / too high), Yorktown Tier 8 (along side her premium sister ship Enterprise). As for Tier 5 (when Bogue and Independence are moved over to a CVL Line) there was an initial proposal for convert the Liner SS Normandie into a fleet carrier and name it USS Lafayette, but decided to make it a troop transport instead (that didn't happen due to other circumstances).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Normandie#Lafayette_conversion

file.png