You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkywhaleExpress

Normandie worth keeping? Don't want it if its considered bad...

Is the Tier 6 Normandie Worth playing?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the ship worth playing? Is it fun, or is it not enjoyable?

• Yes, it's fun.
    • No, it is not enjoyable.
  2. 2. Are the main batteries as good as or better than the Dunkerque?

• The guns are on par with the Dunkerque.
    • The guns are worse than the Dunkerque.
    • The guns are superior to the Dunkerque.
  3. 3. Do you have to expose too much broadside to get turret 2 (mid) on target?

4. 4. Do you have to expose too much broadside to get all 3 turrets on target?

5. 5. Can it take a hit as good as or better/worse than the Dunkerque?

• It takes hits as good as Dunkerque.
    • It takes hits better than Dunkerque.
    • It takes hits worse than Dunkerque.

48 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

So, I just completed the mission for Normandie, and it looks like its secondaries are more numerous than the Dunkerque, but they're more normalized in location. The Dunk can fire all 12 backwards, if you're being chased by close range DD's/cruisers, while angling your armor to bigger ships... 

The AA is pathetic. At tier 5, the Bretagne has far better AA. Nowhere near Konig and Texarkana.... 

Anyway, my question... is it worth keeping? Are the quad turrets really all that good (fore/mid/aft... not sure how I will angle and still get at least 8 guns on target) or am I better off just grinding the minimum ship XP needed to get the Lyon, then selling the ship?

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
4 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

is it worth keeping?

If you enjoy it, keep it. If you don't enjoy it, sell it. It's not rocket science.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

Members
182 posts
740 battles

So, I just completed the mission for Normandie, and it looks like its secondaries are more numerous than the Dunkerque, but they're more normalized in location. The Dunk can fire all 12 backwards, if you're being chased by close range DD's/cruisers, while angling your armor to bigger ships... 

The AA is pathetic. At tier 5, the Bretagne has far better AA. Nowhere near Konig and Texarkana.... 

Anyway, my question... is it worth keeping? Are the quad turrets really all that good (fore/mid/aft... not sure how I will angle and still get at least 8 guns on target) or am I better off just grinding the minimum ship XP needed to get the Lyon, then selling the ship?

Normandie worth keeping?

Once you have a 19 point captain and boosted seconds this ship will be better than warspite.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
8 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Anyway, my question... is it worth keeping?

IF I get it I plan on keeping it, when the line gets release as a tech tree if I do not have her I will get her and keep her.

5 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you enjoy it, keep it. If you don't enjoy it, sell it. It's not rocket science.

And what Lert said.

• Bad 1

1,166 posts
13,758 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Thanks.. but I just got it, and don't know if I like it. Was hoping for some SERIOUS informational posts from people who actually have played it... and can give a pros/cons of it. 

If I hear its so terrible a ship that its not even worth playing at all, then I won't waste my time playing it 

Sorry if I come off rude, but your post is not very helpful.

1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Edited the topic to be a little more clear. I am looking for peoples' take on the ship. If it's terrible (i.e. can't get enough guns to bear on target without exposing too much broadside...gets deleted by CV...) then I don't even want to play 1 single match in it. 

I love the Bretagne so far, and it will likely be a keeper, at least for a bit.

Members
182 posts
740 battles

Thanks.. but I just got it, and don't know if I like it. Was hoping for some SERIOUS informational posts from people who actually have played it... and can give a pros/cons of it. 

If I hear its so terrible a ship that its not even worth playing at all, then I won't waste my time playing it 

It hits as hard as nigel benn.;

It hits harder than warspite.

It has secondaries from hell.

I have it.

shot-18.02.21_23.40.39-0117.jpg

Edited by francesabyss

[BS]
Members
1,316 posts
7,451 battles

oh no, you took @Lerts bait

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
9 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Nor is your original question. We know absolutely zero about your play style, what you enjoy in a ship, what you hate in a ship, your skill level, etc. You're asking us to tell you if you'll like a ship while giving exactly zero context about what you like in a ship, what type of ship you enjoy, whether you value speed over armor, accuracy over damage potential, agility over secondaries, etc etc.

Here's what I predict will happen. Some people will say its great. Some people will say it's awful. Neither group will be able to give you clear and concise reasons why, and you'll end up not having your question answered satisfactorily.

Why not just play it a few matches and find out for yourself? What will you lose if you do, and end up not liking it?

<Edit> As for my personal take - ... Eh. I won't be going out of my way to keep it. Isn't my style. Not a bad ship, not horrible to play, just not my style.

• Cool 2

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,617 posts

It's great for Operations and general pub play. Though, as you've pointed out, her AA is...lacking, to say the least.

Beta Testers
15,660 posts
4,062 battles

Sky whale- I’ve played it in ops. I like it. Nice guns and a lot of em. Goodish angles. Good pen- the lower caliber decreased overpen.

Armor feels weak, not sure if it is. AA is weak. Size is small.

Overall feels like a Glass Cannon, definetely a fun ship to me and one I recommend. Haven’t played to much with it but I’m working on it. Lyon is what I really want heh.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

She's very like Dunkerque I think. She's a quick ship with great dispersion. A real hunter in the water, however, her turrets are poorly angled despite their strength. She's a bit of a glass cannon; all power but no armor. If you keep at a distance she's a great ship but not so good close in. It all depends on your style of play whether you would enjoy her or not

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
740 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai said:

Sky whale- I’ve played it in ops. I like it. Nice guns and a lot of em. Goodish angles. Good pen- the lower caliber decreased overpen.

Armor feels weak, not sure if it is. AA is weak. Size is small.

Overall feels like a Glass Cannon, definetely a fun ship to me and one I recommend. Haven’t played to much with it but I’m working on it. Lyon is what I really want heh.

The lyon i keep hearing this is that the tier 7 bb?

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
6 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Yep. That one's a lot more fun, tier for tier, definitely will be keeping that one.

<Edit> You've added a poll with some very good questions. Nice. I've answered them. Tells us what you're looking for in a ship. Based on your poll questions I would hesitate to recommend Normandie to you as a keeper. Would still recommend you play a few battles in her though.

I put her guns on par with Dunkerques, though they're very different beasts. Dunk's guns are lower caliber and higher velocity, but Normandie's guns hit harder and she has more of them. Overall Dunkerque's guns are individually better, but Normandie has 50% more barrels and that makes up for a lot of the older guns' deficits. Her turret angles are the main drawback, IMO.

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
740 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Yep. That one's a lot more fun, tier for tier, definitely will be keeping that one.

Cool :D thanks.

I never got this ship shame :( .

[O_O]
Members
800 posts
5,195 battles
8 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Yes.  I enjoy playing Lyon because I enjoy the mid-to-close range game and being an absolute berserker when I can.  It has effective secondaries and more barrels than Atlanta which deliver effective-if-not-overwhelming firepower.

[edit]  On-topic though; I cannot say as I don't have Normandie.  Yet.  I will be getting her, I'm a great fan of the ocean liner scheme that won the player-created camo contest.  That alone is worth having her around to me, though my standards are admittedly very low when it comes to keeping hulls around.  [/edit]

-R 

Edited by Mister_Rawr

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
15 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

No Lert's answer a good one, I may love and can make it work for me. But Lert and WolfofWarships may hate it and cannot get it to work for them. I love the French Cruisers, but I have talked with some who cannot stand them.

I have a good friend who cannot not stand the Myogi, but I like it and can make it work for me.

• Cool 1

1,166 posts
13,758 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nor is your original question. We know absolutely zero about your play style, what you enjoy in a ship, what you hate in a ship, your skill level, etc. You're asking us to tell you if you'll like a ship while giving exactly zero context about what you like in a ship, what type of ship you enjoy, whether you value speed over armor, accuracy over damage potential, agility over secondaries, etc etc.

Here's what I predict will happen. Some people will say its great. Some people will say it's awful. Neither group will be able to give you clear and concise reasons why, and you'll end up not having your question answered satisfactorily.

Why not just play it a few matches and find out for yourself? What will you lose if you do, and end up not liking it?

<Edit> As for my personal take - ... Eh. I won't be going out of my way to keep it. Isn't my style. Not a bad ship, not horrible to play, just not my style.

Haha, true.. I realized I didn't activate my poll... and yeah, about my playstyle..

I play mid-range most of the match, not afraid to push up, and although I value speed and maneuverability to an extent... I definitely put more stock in armor (especially angled) and accuracy.
I like to have BFT+AFT, but I typically like ships that can AA well, since I div with CVs a lot. However, if I know its AA isn't any good, I do love switching over to a secondary load-out + manual secondaries.

As for my skill, I am in between above average and great. My alt account (formerly my wife's account) is a solid blue/purple, but on my main account I made a lot of mistakes early on, say my first 3-4k battles--- especially playing too far back, relying on survival far more than damage output. In my last 6-7k battles, I have learned to know the difference between when to be aggressive and when to hang back/etc. It shows, with my win rate finally going near 55.5%, and my avg. damage jumping to almost large amount of damage according to Warships.Today.

Obviously, transitioning from air combat games like War Thunder and World of Warplanes took a bit longer, as well.. but I am getting fairly good.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,126 posts
15,102 battles

I got the T5 and T6 French BBs unlocked yesterday. Now I have a several good premium T5 battleships that are a lot of fun so I'll probably sell the T5 French. But I did play one game in the Normandie and HONHONHONHON was it a fun game. The ship has a 19.8km gun range and with that many guns pointing down range you're bound to hit something through area saturation. I was just above the B cap on New Dawn and some cruisers decided to camp broadside behind some Islands at the C cap. This was a bad idea because they were in range of my guns hohohohoho. So many citadels, sank one and left the other on perilously low hp. I should mention this ship has an under water citadel which is covered by a turtle back. You will eat a lot of pen damage but I didn't eat one citadel hit while getting two turrets into play. 

Now if I can just get my hands on the player created paint for the Normandie, the Ocean Liner Camo, I can start the Sinksalot Ocean Cruise lines honhonhonhonhon. 

Edited by RedSeaBear
Fixing my French thanks to Mister_Rawr
  • Funny 1

1,166 posts
13,758 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

<Edit> You've added a poll with some very good questions. Nice. I've answered them. Tells us what you're looking for in a ship. Based on your poll questions I would hesitate to recommend Normandie to you as a keeper. Would still recommend you play a few battles in her though.

I put her guns on par with Dunkerques, though they're very different beasts. Dunk's guns are lower caliber and higher velocity, but Normandie's guns hit harder and she has more of them. Overall Dunkerque's guns are individually better, but Normandie has 50% more barrels and that makes up for a lot of the older guns' deficits. Her turret angles are the main drawback, IMO.

Yeah, I stupidly hit the back button and went back...posted... it didn't save the poll. I didn't think you were rude, and hope I wasn't back. Obviously, I didn't give a whole lot of information, except for asking how others like the ship.

Thanks for voting and thanks for your honest answers.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,126 posts
15,102 battles
2 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Fixed that for you.

-R

Thanks French is not my native language. 

1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Well, against my better faculties, I will just run a few (maybe 5 or 10) matches in her and then add my own answers to my poll. Wish me luck :cap_rambo:

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
718 posts
10,539 battles

If you don't use her, how do you know you won't like her?:Smile_amazed:

I find her guns to be worse than Dunk's, since they overpen all the things, a lot.  I also find her dispersion to be worse than Dunk's more often than not.  Mind you, I haven't really messed with her HE all that much, so my vote isn't overly fair to her.  Her secondaries are the worst I've seen on any BB when it comes to accuracy, as I've had more than a few shots go way wide, even at point blank range.  Dunk will consistently hit things at point blank range at least.  While going broadside isn't as dangerous compared to Dunk, she overall soaks more damage, similarly to NM.  Dunk will bounce a lot more shots when angled compared to Norm.

In the end, all of our opinions on Normandie really amount to jack until you use the ship YOURSELF.  Take Furutaka for example; before her current variant of C Hull, she was considered utter garbage.  Folks hated her left, right and center, so I decided to go back and pick her up, just to find out myself.  I regret it, oh so much, for not having gone back sooner.  I had a BLAST with her. :Smile_izmena: