You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
byzantine_falcon

Commander/Ship Questions

17 comments in this topic

[CVRME]
Members
3 posts
3,723 battles

First off, new to the forums, so I hope this is in the right spot.  I did some digging and got several questions answered that way, but had a few more than (hopefully) the rest of you might be able to assist with.  

I've been steadily pushing up several lines, and I think I have a handle on most of the commander skills.  The basics, anyway.  A few lines I am left wondering what else 'works' or if I might be missing something.  For example, with RN BB's, am I better off with Basics of Survivability or Superintendent?  I'm at the QE (T6) and got the first 10 points taken care of (PM, EM, SI, CE, and later AR), but I am wondering if, given the low speed and tendency to catch on fire it has, if BoS might be a better choice.  

Same for the Italian BB's.  I have the Guilio, missed the Roma (but I'll get it if it comes back).  Pushing up past 12 points there too.  PT, EM, AR, SI, and CE.. and not sure where to go?  Secondaries?  AA?  Unlike the RN ships, I can dodge a lot of the hits, so BoS seems like a bad call.  Vigilance maybe?  

Starting from scratch on the KM Cruisers.  Currently at the Konigsberg with my 'usual' cruiser commander.  PT, AR, DE, and CE.  I'm at a loss with how to play the German cruisers though.  I'm not sure what their gimmick is.  In my BB's I know the higher tier ships tend to bounce a lot bow on, but they set fires like no ones business.  

My only other question mostly centers around the North Carolina.  I'm grinding up to the top packages, and I am having a heck of a time with the lead needed at long range.  Ok, easy fix.. get closer.  But then I'm getting hammered from anyone not to my front, and even with pretty good aim I'm having a heck of a time getting a citadel if they have any angle at all.  Most of my cits come at long range from the plunging fire.  I played the Alabama in ranked, and much like there, the NC seems to do great when top tier.  I cant seem to do a whole lot vs 9/10 though.  Not really fast enough to cruise around (and risk a side side), but not beefy enough to just sit still and bow tank.  Trying to play support has me missing a lot of shots at range.  Its not impossible, just frustrating.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Members
182 posts
728 battles

Hello im also a newb :D .

Skills depends mostly on your playstyle and how you like to fight and also if your spreading a commander over a certain amount of ships then obviously the skills have to be balanced not good for every ship.

If your the kinda guy whom likes to brawl say with a bb and also likes to be first into a cap with a bb then secondary skills are a must aka warspite................

It all takes practice and the best time is when commander skills are reduced in price gold wise or free as you will make mistakes and the ships can go from really good in battle to bloody hell what happened due to wrong skill choice and wrong upgrade choices.

Its a fine line and the right upgrade and skill choice can make a bad ship amazing.

Me i use my bbs same as i would use a dd.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles
6 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Hello im also a newb :D .

Skills depends mostly on your playstyle and how you like to fight and also if your spreading a commander over a certain amount of ships then obviously the skills have to be balanced not good for every ship.

If your the kinda guy whom likes to brawl say with a bb and also likes to be first into a cap with a bb then secondary skills are a must aka warspite................

It all takes practice and the best time is when commander skills are reduced in price gold wise or free as you will make mistakes and the ships can go from really good in battle to bloody hell what happened due to wrong skill choice and wrong upgrade choices.

Its a fine line and the right upgrade and skill choice can make a bad ship amazing.

Me i use my bbs same as i would use a dd.

There's no such thing as "play style".

Despite the illusion of many skills in the skill tree. There's often ONLY one build for any given class of ships. For example, DDs must take Last stand and camo, CVs must take CV skills.

There's no "play style". The meme builds such as secondaries focused german BBs, or AA focused cruisers, are all sub optimal at the current state of the game.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
4 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

i use this site for figuring out what skills to use

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011011001000000000119

Nice thanks.

Just remember sometimes the upgrades do not work ie gear and engine protection and your only option is then last stand.

Learning mistakes does cost you but thats how you learn the game.

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, NeutralState said:

Despite the illusion of many skills in the skill tree. There's often ONLY one build for any given class of ships. For example, DDs must take Last stand and camo, CVs must take CV skills.

There's no "play style". The meme builds such as secondaries focused german BBs, or AA focused cruisers, are all sub optimal at the current state of the game.

Thats completely false.

Everybody has a unique playstyle.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles
Just now, francesabyss said:

Thats completely false.

Everybody has a unique playstyle.

That's why they are all so colorful, such as red, yellow, and green. There's only one way to play the game, and many ways to lose it.

• Bad 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
2 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

That's why they are all so colorful, such as red, yellow, and green. There's only one way to play the game, and many ways to lose it.

Why are you here?

I hope you are never ever on my team in battle.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles
2 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Why are you here?

I hope you are never ever on my team in battle.

Image result for smile konata

Then you will die, sink along with your unique play style ship build.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
245 posts
4,389 battles

I'm not sure if you've seen the wiki but it is a very helpful source: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

On each ship, there is a discussion of how to play it and recommended commander skills and ship upgrades with discussion on why the choices are made.  Some ships are more well discussed then others.  Obviously, these are the opinions of the wiki maintainers but it might help you with your questions.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
19 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

It absolutely depends on playstyle. Are you looking for a ship that brings every ounce of AA to the fight and plant to provide AA protection for the fleet? Do you plan to be a firestarter directing a steady stream of napalm at enemy BBs? Do you plan to move in close needing secondaries and more HP to survive as a brawler? Do you plan to hunt DDs? Do you plan to play a sneaky ambusher requiring you to get in and out unnoticed? Are you looking to minimize the number of fires that you receive or the number of modules that you lose?

Many of these are playstyles. Just because one person thinks Concealment Expert belongs on a BB, doesn't mean that everyone believes that CE belongs on a BB. There are many guides of "optimal" builds, but that doesn't mean that those are the optimum build for YOU. I frequently deviate from the so-called "optimal" builds, depending on how I plan to use my ship based upon my playstyle and my individual goals for that ship. Just because someone else thinks I should take Demolition Expert doesn't mean i should (perhaps I choose to focus on another skill that I find more valuable in that ship).

When choosing your skills you should first ask yourself how do you plan to use your ship, what do you want to be good at. Keep in mind that this also depends on what your ships basic stats are (a ship that starts with an AA rating of 5 will never be good at shooting down planes even with every AA skill applied). Is there a weakness to your ship that can be improved by taking a certain skill? Is there a strength to your ship that you want to increase? Is there a role that you wish to fill that a certain skill will help with?

Same applies to ship upgrades. Just because most sites say to take the AA module, doesn't mean you can't decide to take the secondary module instead. Just make sure that your modules and skills compliment each other.

The thing you want to avoid though, is taking a mismatch of skills and upgrades that give so slight a bonus to too many things that you'll never even notice the difference. Pick one (or at most 2) thing(s) you want to be good at, and choose every skill and upgrade that affects that area.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,815 battles

German cruisers:

Play it at range. With 1/4 HE pen, you spam HE.

Broadside targets will find your AP extremely effective.  

Kite and abuse islands to block line of sight.

Angled and with turtleback you are tough to kill.

PM, AR, SI & CE are first 10 points.

DE is next.

Rest are up to you. EM is a good choice for higher tiers as you will use ROF module.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

PT - LS - SI - CE, AFT, IFHE - PM 

^ this is my "standard" build for a lv19 CMDR. This I find is a strong "basic" build for a 3xT4 cmdr. It will be "good enough" for a verity of ship types; not specialized, but easily adaptable to a ship's style of play. 

AFT and IFHE is decent boost to SB damage also AFT is a nice range booster to both SB and  AA (MBs for DDs).

LS while not the greatest for BBs or CAs there will be times when engines or rudder is knocked out, it primarily for DDs, otherwise it's EM or AR in this spot. 

Hence why I consider the build as a Universal Build.

---

Survivability builds are also decent universal builds. 

---

Outside of builds good "Universal" skills are:

CE - everyone could use concealment. 

AFT -  boosts to MB, SB, AA depending on class and Module. 

SI - more consumables is always good, it means you don't always have to run PremCons; but +2 consumables when running both. 

EM - faster Traverse Speed is always nice, waiting less on guns the more turrets you can use. 

AR - you WILL take damage at some point, might as well benefit from the damage taken playing the obj. 

PT - one of the stronger T1s, basically replaced the old SA. Other options while good are highly dependent on if you can survive without PT as first option. 

PM - great for ships with important Modules that you don't want destroyed too early; ships with strong AA, SB, or Torps. 

EL - nice to have IF you're a very competent player with knowledge of ammo choice. But it can be easily skipped if you're ammo swap timings are normally on point. 

CatCON - direction centre for catapult control, is nice if you have access to both Spotter OR CatFTRs gives some extra Torpedo spotting thanks to 2 planes sweeping around your ship. And there's also the added benefit of having 2x planes in the air; if one gets shot down you might possibly have the second still in the air to apply the buff from the consumable. 

Members
1,697 posts
7,234 battles
13 hours ago, NeutralState said:

There are builds that are designed around coordinated division play.  For example AA centric builds are quite effective in division with CV.

[CVRME]
Members
3 posts
3,723 battles

Odd.. I set it up to notify me when I got a response, checked back in today since I had not gotten a notification... guess that feature isnt working.  I'll try to address the responses.

Shipcomrade is a great resource, I've used that a few times.  Good to just play with them.  I guess I was looking for more in depth advice on specifically which skill's I might have been missing that (to some) would be obvious.  

As for the 'playstyle' debate, I am kind of in the middle.  Some ships from some nations all seem to have the same builds.  Others, I have noticed quite a bit of debate on the utility of specific skills.  Take German BB's.  I've had people tell me I was wrong by not running CE on it.  I get where they are coming from, but the way I play it, CE would be pointless.  I'd rather put those points into something that will get used.  *I* see that as 'playstyle'.  Its little choices.  

On 2/23/2018 at 4:00 AM, dEsTurbed1 said:

German cruisers:

Play it at range. With 1/4 HE pen, you spam HE.

Broadside targets will find your AP extremely effective.  

Kite and abuse islands to block line of sight.

Angled and with turtleback you are tough to kill.

PM, AR, SI & CE are first 10 points.

DE is next.

Rest are up to you. EM is a good choice for higher tiers as you will use ROF module.

Thank you!  I have my days where I am on in cruisers.. and days where I am off.  Seemed like I was not doing much of anything in my German cruisers, and so figured it was a failing on my part (or how I set them up).  My question would be is SI more important than DE for the first 3 point skill?  

Getting into that 'playstle' thing again, I usually have PT vs PM at my 1 point.  Knowing when I am being looked at (and/or focused by multiple ships) dictates how I move.  I can usually time a volley from the reds based on that too, moving out of the way right before they land.  I'll usually pick up PM later on.

Members
396 posts
6,353 battles

All I can add is that the skill I underestimated for years was concealment.

its great not being the first target enemies see most of the time, and with some clever timing you can get a lot out of this mechanic.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,815 battles

With 1/4 pen on HE, your doing goid damage, so SI will give you defensive AA , or hydro and higher up more heals. PT is a good choice, tier 9 and 10 i find turrets get knocked out. I also run AA and seondary survivability instead of main battery mod 1.

Since I am alone in backfield at first 7 minutes of game, I am prime carrier bait.