Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pyantoryng

Bismarck's 38cm vs USN 1000lb HE bombs

8 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,770 posts
4,582 battles

Which has worse dispersion?

I'm beginning to wonder, when my Bismarck 38cm shell fall around a broadsided enemy at 10km range...

[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,242 battles

German Main Battery dispersion is horrible at standoff distance. If you are auto dropping the bombs, the drop size is huge. Manual drops tighten up the grouping much better. Might be part of the issue?

[NG-NL]
Members
5,038 posts
8,290 battles
52 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

German Main Battery dispersion is horrible at standoff distance. If you are auto dropping the bombs, the drop size is huge. Manual drops tighten up the grouping much better. Might be part of the issue?

So...I've been auto-aiming in my KMS BBs all this time? o.O

[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,242 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

So...I've been auto-aiming in my KMS BBs all this time? o.O

The OP was asking for a comparison on bomb drops and KMS BB main battery accuracy. The latter part of my statement was in regards to the bomb drops, not the battleship guns.

Didn't think my comment was that badly written... maybe tighten up grammatical comprehension a bit before wisecracking next time? Just a thought.

[INTEL]
Members
808 posts
8,353 battles
1 hour ago, Halonut24 said:

Didn't think my comment was that badly written... maybe tighten up grammatical comprehension a bit before wisecracking next time? Just a thought.

Your comment wasn't poorly written but your reading ability might need work.

OP stated 10km range for the guns. I'd guess that anything inside the secondary range of a Bis hardly qualifies as "standoff distance".

Glass houses....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles

Both hit for s--t, but if the USN 1k LB HE bombs hit numerous times they really hurt.  Saipan's single DB squad epitomize this.  Lots of planes for that single unit, but no matter what, the chances of walking away with 0 hits are pretty high.  For that spec with only 1 bomber unit, when that happens, that's very bad in efficiency.  Lots of wasted time.  But if you get lots of hits, especially on a DD, they're going to feel it and likely won't survive.  Even a BB eating multiple 1000lb HE hits will feel it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,770 posts
4,582 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Both hit for s--t, but if the USN 1k LB HE bombs hit numerous times they really hurt.  Saipan's single DB squad epitomize this.  Lots of planes for that single unit, but no matter what, the chances of walking away with 0 hits are pretty high.  For that spec with only 1 bomber unit, when that happens, that's very bad in efficiency.  Lots of wasted time.  But if you get lots of hits, especially on a DD, they're going to feel it and likely won't survive.  Even a BB eating multiple 1000lb HE hits will feel it.

That's why I prefer HE bombs against destroyers in my Lex...when it hits, it hurts. Those AP needles hitting for 800 damage a pop just don't cut it when you need the damage or damacon wastage (in case of DP gun lighting up fire) to take one out at really close range where there's hardly time to calibrate drops.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

That's why I prefer HE bombs against destroyers in my Lex...when it hits, it hurts. Those AP needles hitting for 800 damage a pop just don't cut it when you need the damage or damacon wastage (in case of DP gun lighting up fire) to take one out at really close range where there's hardly time to calibrate drops.

The AP-HE dance was always a fun thing to observe with those bombs.  Sure the AP lol'd at German BBs but when they do chip damage on a DD, the targets where CVs traditionally really hurt (hell just read the forums about what DDs think about planes), it gets a bit disappointing.  The HE also hurts CVs when you do get a chance to hit them, the AP bombs do little.  Not to mention a bunch of HE bombs hitting a BB under focus fire spam will be horrible for the target.

Saipan DBs are also fun because the auto and manual drop patterns are the same.  Wide.

Sign in to follow this