You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Toxic_Potato

DD vs DD Cage Match

21 comments in this topic

Members
1,358 posts

Two DDs go into a very small area only one comes out and progresses to the next level.  Same tier, Same concept as ranked. Great training as DD on DD may be the toughest for the DD Captain.

Opinions?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,988 posts
16,620 battles

Sounds like a great way to learn how not to play a DD in 99% of competitive situations.

I'm being half-facetious here, but it's a team game, and there are only very specific situations where DD 1v1s are a thing, much less full health 1v1s with no kiting space where the winner is determined by KO.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
4,333 battles

CW  doesn't go down like that. 

Often times both DD's will face check each other and both will hold fire and just turn away without caring about one another lol. 

Both DD's want to GTFO before radar starts messing their days up. 

Most of my 1 on 1 DD encounters have been later in the match when one team is losing.  Generally speaking DD's in CW are focused on spots , torps and team smokes.  But mostly spots and torps.

Especially getting spots on ships behind islands and in sneaky areas. Early spots to determine the red's game plan. 

Members
90 posts
2,628 battles
1 minute ago, Cobraclutch said:

CW  doesn't go down like that. 

Often times both DD's will face check each other and both will hold fire and just turn away without caring about one another lol. 

Both DD's want to GTFO before radar starts messing their days up

It's not that they don't care... it's that we want to survive more than 2 minutes into a match.  Getting into a furball with another DD at the onset of the match is almost a death sentence.

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles

You never trade 1v1 in a DD unless there is a need or you have some kind of tactical advantage. But when the need arises, its good to have experience. Situations like when you look at the mini-map and see that you have to make a play or its going to be a loss, the element of surprise giving you advantage, things like that

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

THUNDERDOME!!!

TWO DDS ENTER, ONE DD LEAVES!

All you’d need is some camo that makes you look like some rust bucket hot rod and you’ll be all set.

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles

sure -- why not have a mode like the OP suggests.  I'd definitely use it as a training tool. 

I don't see that a Thunderdome mode would really sharpen ones tactical skills or hone a DD drivers match strategy skills.  Thunderdome would train hand and eye coordination and fast twitch muscle memory.  These are of course important in DD knife fights.  But DD play also involves more than just having quicker reflexes than the other guy.  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,737 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Dirt said:

sure -- why not have a mode like the OP suggests.  I'd definitely use it as a training tool. 

I don't see that a Thunderdome mode would really sharpen ones tactical skills or hone a DD drivers match strategy skills.  Thunderdome would train hand and eye coordination and fast twitch muscle memory.  These are of course important in DD knife fights.  But DD play also involves more than just having quicker reflexes than the other guy.  

DD v DD especially depends on out-thinking the other guy.

Me in Fubuki vs 2 other Fubuki, as a demonstration of my point. Old T8 Fubuki in T8 ranked, no less.

Members
728 posts
8,923 battles

IJN DD's cannot do the Thunder Dome.

You need to finesse there wins, and a throw down is not finesse.

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

Basically, this scenario means that KM DDs win every time, with the exception of when the IJN Akazuki plays (assuming the captain has IFHE).

Smoke, Hydro, rapid-fire potent guns with large HP pool, and torps that hit other DDs. And pretty maneuverable too boot.  

yeah, Thunderdome's a recipe for boring.   No IJN DDs (Akazuki excepted). No Russian DDs. No Pan-Asian DDs. A couple of premiums, and the odd wacko trying to make a US DD work. And all KM DDs, all the time.

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
76 posts
6,570 battles
24 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

I absolutely concur.  The last thing I want to do in my Kagero is to get into a 1v1 against another DD.  Actually, ANY ship for that matter.  I have a low detection for a reason and I use it.  Now for DD hunting, that is what the Khab and the Kidd o well.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,095 posts
28,435 battles

Thunderdome mode with epicenter.  All ships of same tier can participate.  Winner keeps taking challengers as long as he wants to.

If 1 ship runs away it'll be a loss cause of the epicenter mode.

[BBICT]
Members
3,582 posts
3,720 battles
6 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

THUNDERDOME!!!

All you’d need is some camo that makes you look like some rust bucket hot rod and you’ll be all set.

6WREWAX.jpg

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,737 posts
3,895 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Mexib said:

Afraid of getting that one-punch defeat from a torpedo?

Members
728 posts
8,923 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Afraid of getting that one-punch defeat from a torpedo?

No, torpedoes are fairly easy to dodge. It's the slow rotation of the gun turrets that would suck. There not made for close gunfights.

If I ever find myself up close and personal, I keep bow on to minimize my profile for there torpedos and try for the ram or to torpedo them.

Either way, it's good.

Members
1,358 posts

Well yes if you only have one DD and it happens to have guns worth spit you would not want to play Thunderdome....

Instead you go down the Asian line with great guns, some radar, some hydro magic and WIN  Thunderdome!!!!!

or get the Sims or Leningrad...German DDs....I got Gaede and Maas ...meh  neither my fav for 6 or 7

AnI got like 16 DDs and they need work.....

Thunderdome for Pink Slips!

Two players compete to see who can win 5 Thunderdomes first. The winner gets the losers Destroyer! 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[PRNA]
Members
510 posts
5,322 battles
6 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Basically, this scenario means that KM DDs win every time, with the exception of when the IJN Akazuki plays (assuming the captain has IFHE).

Smoke, Hydro, rapid-fire potent guns with large HP pool, and torps that hit other DDs. And pretty maneuverable too boot.  

yeah, Thunderdome's a recipe for boring.   No IJN DDs (Akazuki excepted). No Russian DDs. No Pan-Asian DDs. A couple of premiums, and the odd wacko trying to make a US DD work. And all KM DDs, all the time.

This, depending on the size of the cage. If its large enough to run away its going to include nothing but Akizuki, KM DDs, and Khab. No reason to run anything else. Small enough and its ONLY KM DDs/ Loyang. Either way its a snoozefest.