You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iEatChickenMcNuggets

How to fight Saipans in Kaga?

45 comments in this topic

Members
92 posts
1,627 battles

So I started a reroll account and I’m having trouble fighting saipans.. any help? They usually pulverize my planes before they even reach their target. Using friendly AA can help but it sucks if the enemy Saipan is smart enough and waits it out :Smile_sad:

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Saipan is always tough, and your best bet tends to be making it hard to predict what target you will attack, so that their fighters don't get there in time.

Members
92 posts
1,627 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Saipan is always tough, and your best bet tends to be making it hard to predict what target you will attack, so that their fighters don't get there in time.

Fair enough, but Saipan fighters are so damn fast that by the time I'm done dropping my fish they are on top of my torp bombers. It's a massacre 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
11 minutes ago, iEatChickenMcNuggets said:

Fair enough, but Saipan fighters are so damn fast that by the time I'm done dropping my fish they are on top of my torp bombers. It's a massacre 

Yep. Just accept that every strike will cost you every plane you send, so you have to make them count. Fortunately, Kaga's got a bunch of reserves, so it can play that game better than Hiryu can.

• Cool 1

Members
92 posts
1,627 battles
10 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Yep. Just accept that every strike will cost you every plane you send, so you have to make them count. Fortunately, Kaga's got a bunch of reserves, so it can play that game better than Hiryu can.

I see..thanks for the help. Maybe divisioning with a Cleveland or an Atlanta would be good too. 

Edited by iEatChickenMcNuggets
  • Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles
19 minutes ago, iEatChickenMcNuggets said:

I see..thanks for the help. Maybe divisioning with a Cleveland or an Atlanta would be good too. 

Atlanta or Flint are absolutely great allies.

• Cool 1

Members
818 posts
8,648 battles

You're not supposed to win a fighter duel against a Saipan as a Kaga. If you're always thinking about how to win the fighter duel, then you're playing right into the Saipan's hands.

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

You can not take on Saipan one on one in the open, he will have an advantage.  But, you can buy time and play game of attrition.  Your own fighters get damage bonus vs Saipan fighters with Dogfighting Expert, and when used correctly they can help buy time for your strike squadrons.  You have to learn to take advantage of friendly AA, and learn to dodge strafes and set up your own strafes.  Never group your squadrons close together, so that strafes don't eat all your planes at once.  Use way points to stage your approach and retreat routes over friendly AA.  Keep your fighters back, and use strafe when the time is right.  Remember you have low supply of fighters, but you have many TBs.  Use your TBs to lure Saipan fighters into advantageous position and set up your own strafe over your TBs and perusing Saipan fighters.  Your job in Kaga is not to win air superiority, but to buy enough time to put hurt on surface fleet where it matters.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
5,600 battles

This is probably obvious, but make sure you have the captain skill 'Dogfight Expert'. The Kaga gets more benefit from this skill against Saipan than any other CV in the game.

Then remember you have more squadrons than the Saipan, so don't put all your squadrons in one place. If he had to go one-on-one, one of your squadrons is going to get through.

Don't forget to strafe. His fighters will get shredded just like yours, but he has far fewer.

Lastly, use your teamate's AA to boost your own combat level. Draw him into range of a friendly AA ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles

In real life, you want your strike to be an all-at-once coordinated attack.  This is a game.

If you are facing a standard Saipan with only bombers..  cheer up..  unless your team potatoes out, you've won.

Strategy I use there is the same for a Hiryu.  Scatter the strike force.  Kaga Autodrops are pretty impressive without getting too focused.  Just get them on target, and get out in 3 different directions.  This is easier to manage on the 'M' map.

The 'Evasive' 1 point captain skill is also nice here.  If your squad is confronting fighters and can't get away, give it a 'F' command to return home, and take a few fighters with it.  Saipan only has 4 fighters per squad (3 if the op is an idiot).  It may not save your planes, but the Saipan fighters will use up more precious ammo.

If you can slip your fighters in closer to the Saipan (not on top of it), do so, and wait to intercept the out-of-ammo fighters returning.  Saipan doesn't have any reserve.  Its fighters run out of bullets quickly, so this is a massacre in return.

Usually, CV operation is like running a conveyor belt of planes coming and going.  I've learned to hold back my strikes until enemy ships have been beaten and burned enough to reduce their AA capabilities.  Imagine surprising/deleting half-health Atlantas who thought their magic 'T' button would save them...

I've also learned to manual torpedo drop...  LONG instead of short.  This brings back more planes if I see it's going to be a long/difficult battle.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
15 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

What the [edited] is a reroll account?

Say you play thousands of games on your main account, and learned the game pretty good.  Your recent stats are of high quality, but your first few hundred/thousand battles are dragging your overall stats down.  Some players chose to create brand new account, and get the advantage of not having history of battles spent to learn the in and outs of the game.  This is done to have improved overall stats, and that's what is called reroll account.  Personally I never bothered with this in any of the games I played, because I was never overly fascinated with stats.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
16 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Say you play thousands of games on your main account, and learned the game pretty good.  Your recent stats are of high quality, but your first few hundred/thousand battles are dragging your overall stats down.  Some players chose to create brand new account, and get the advantage of not having history of battles spent to learn the in and outs of the game.  This is done to have improved overall stats, and that's what is called reroll account.  Personally I never bothered with this in any of the games I played, because I was never overly fascinated with stats.

.[edited]really? ...some of you guys are seriously sick minded and need to get some priorities straight...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles
12 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I have a Re-Roll account too.  'Accident_Sorry'.

This primary account is still primary.  Primary is 1 year Premium time, the reroll is Standard (free).

I've made a few astonishing discoveries based on how the different types of accounts are treated.  Hey..  It's marketing/targeting/profiling.

Reroll is 8 months old and I'm ground up to a Pensacola, Ryujo, and got all the New Year Raid T6 ships.  Also bought Sharnhorst, DoY, Kidd, Indy, Dunker, and Zucchini.  Also earned Vampire, and from Christmas Crates:  Mutsu (my favorite DD), Julius Caesar, and the Ohkitakami.

My main premium account got a lot of Frosty Fir Tree camo -- and no ships from the Crates.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I have a Re-Roll account too.  'Accident_Sorry'.

This primary account is still primary.  Primary is 1 year Premium time, the reroll is Standard (free).

I've made a few astonishing discoveries based on how the different types of accounts are treated.  Hey..  It's marketing/targeting/profiling.

Reroll is 8 months old and I'm ground up to a Pensacola, Ryujo, and got all the New Year Raid T6 ships.  Also bought Sharnhorst, DoY, Kidd, Indy, Dunker, and Zucchini.  Also earned Vampire, and from Christmas Crates:  Mutsu (my favorite DD), Julius Caesar, and the Ohkitakami.

My main premium account got a lot of Frosty Fir Tree camo -- and no ships from the Crates.

I am sorry, I am having difficult time processing this.  You created another account, while keeping your main account with plenty of paid premium time, and also paid money to get premium ships for that other account, just so that you can experience how different types of accounts are treated?

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,742 posts
3,490 battles

The Kaga is the most powerful CV in the game, and the Saipan is the only counter. Basically you need to be patient and pick your attacks. You'll lose planes, but you'll generally beat him in damage. If he's AS this is more difficult, but he'll do awful damage which you can beat in a single strike. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,291 posts
4,117 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

In real life, you want your strike to be an all-at-once coordinated attack.  This is a game.

If you are facing a standard Saipan with only bombers..  cheer up..  unless your team potatoes out, you've won.

Strategy I use there is the same for a Hiryu.  Scatter the strike force.  Kaga Autodrops are pretty impressive without getting too focused.  Just get them on target, and get out in 3 different directions.  This is easier to manage on the 'M' map.

The 'Evasive' 1 point captain skill is also nice here.  If your squad is confronting fighters and can't get away, give it a 'F' command to return home, and take a few fighters with it.  Saipan only has 4 fighters per squad (3 if the op is an idiot).  It may not save your planes, but the Saipan fighters will use up more precious ammo.

If you can slip your fighters in closer to the Saipan (not on top of it), do so, and wait to intercept the out-of-ammo fighters returning.  Saipan doesn't have any reserve.  Its fighters run out of bullets quickly, so this is a massacre in return.

Usually, CV operation is like running a conveyor belt of planes coming and going.  I've learned to hold back my strikes until enemy ships have been beaten and burned enough to reduce their AA capabilities.  Imagine surprising/deleting half-health Atlantas who thought their magic 'T' button would save them...

I've also learned to manual torpedo drop...  LONG instead of short.  This brings back more planes if I see it's going to be a long/difficult battle.

Get out of my head.

I'm all seriousness good post.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles

Going air-to-air, Kaga will never win against a competent Saipan player.  You'll have to win by still snaking in good strikes or a snipe.  The snipe against a half competent Saipan player is much harder to do, especially if they're running 3/0/1, but I've seen savvy Kaga players pull it off.

But for a long time now I've seen so many incompetent Saipan players on my teams that it shouldn't too much a problem for you.  In the past I used to confidently say, "We got a Saipan on our team?  Then we won."  Now it's not so certain with the amount of Potatoes having her.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles
2 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

What the [edited] is a reroll account?

Somebody who doesn't want to play burdened by their old stats or forum reputation, and has started over. 

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
51 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Somebody who doesn't want to play burdened by their old stats or forum reputation, and has started over. 

'Burdened.'

If this isn't first world problems IDK what is... in a game where stats literally count for nothing at best, at worst, they actually work against you.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles
8 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

'Burdened.'

If this isn't first world problems IDK what is... in a game where stats literally count for nothing at best, at worst, they actually work against you.

I'm just... saying why people would do it. 

Members
92 posts
1,627 battles
8 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

'Burdened.'

The real reason is that my "main" account has an undesirable name, and I'm too cheap to change it. But my main's stats are also garbage so saying that it's for reroll reasons is easier to explain.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
Just now, iEatChickenMcNuggets said:

The real reason is that my "main" account has an undesirable name, and I'm too cheap to change it. But my main's stats are also garbage so saying that it's for reroll reasons is easier to explain.

The logic of this makes no sense: it only costs 2000 Gold to change a name right? But you have a Kaga on this 'reroll' account, obviously, as you are asking specifically about it. As a T7 *PREMIUM* CV it costs *WAY* more than a rename.... so.... you're full of crap...

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

The logic of this makes no sense: it only costs 2000 Gold to change a name right? But you have a Kaga on this 'reroll' account, obviously, as you are asking specifically about it. As a T7 *PREMIUM* CV it costs *WAY* more than a rename.... so.... you're full of crap...

Why... couldn't he have rerolled then bought the Kaga?