You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

Nerf Nerf Nerf

52 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
50 posts
3,181 battles

I went away for a while because I was disgusted with the amount of nerfing going on.  Logged on last night, waited for the patches to upload and grabbed my Scarnhorst and off to battle I went.  First encounter at max range.  My opponent, a T7 BB loosed a broadside. One shell missed. ONE shell!  Ok, I fine tuned my aiming, and let loose with my broadside.  EVERY shell bracketed but not one stinking hit!  OK, round 2, he brackets me again.  Now I'm in trouble.  I return fire.  I bracket my target again, with NO hits.  This went on until I sank.  Not a very fun fight.  Just to be fair, I went again with the same results.  I'm not the best shot, but I sure as heck ain't THAT bad.  Yeah yeah, I know, your gonna deny this and turn it around to it's all my fault bla bla bla.  Just a little advise WG.  You are losing players to Steel Ocean because of crapola like this.  Just my humble opinion.

Now let the troll feast begin!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
76 posts
6,598 battles

Dispersion. Its the bad part to German BB's. You don't fight at max range, you're not a sniper. You need to close in, preferably to at least 10-12km, I'm shocked that your first salvo landed as well as it did.  If you want to snipe at max range, you need a different ship.

• Cool 2

Members
182 posts
728 battles
11 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

I went away for a while because I was disgusted with the amount of nerfing going on.  Logged on last night, waited for the patches to upload and grabbed my Scarnhorst and off to battle I went.  First encounter at max range.  My opponent, a T7 BB loosed a broadside. One shell missed. ONE shell!  Ok, I fine tuned my aiming, and let loose with my broadside.  EVERY shell bracketed but not one stinking hit!  OK, round 2, he brackets me again.  Now I'm in trouble.  I return fire.  I bracket my target again, with NO hits.  This went on until I sank.  Not a very fun fight.  Just to be fair, I went again with the same results.  I'm not the best shot, but I sure as heck ain't THAT bad.  Yeah yeah, I know, your gonna deny this and turn it around to it's all my fault bla bla bla.  Just a little advise WG.  You are losing players to Steel Ocean because of crapola like this.  Just my humble opinion.

Scharn is a brawler get in under 5 km.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles
14 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

First encounter at max range.

Here's your first problem.  It's no secret that German BBs at range are notoriously inaccurate.  RNG seemed to not be much on your side either, but that is the same for everybody.

Not sure what BB you were fighting against, but pretty much every other BB at T7 has better accuracy at range than Scharnhorst/Gneisenau.  Need to learn when to disengage and try to take fights that are in your favor.

Edit: just noticed OP has 104 games in Scharnhorst with only 19k average damage.  Not trying to stat shame here, but you are definitely playing her wrong when those are your averages.  She is much, much stronger than that.  Watch some YouTube videos on how to play her to her strengths before calling out phantom nerfs.

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 3

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,590 battles

You are fighting at max range with a German Battleships. That right there is the problem

Members
18,226 posts
5,205 battles
21 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

...You are losing players to Steel Ocean because of crapola like this...

Go play Steel Ocean, I dare you. You'll be back.

Steel Ocean is losing players to WoWS because of crapola like.... their entire game. (stopping your ship makes you more accurate, really?)

You started it.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Funny 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,784 battles

Funny thought. Sounds like you have discovered the historical side too BB gunnery :fish_happy: 

Members
4,172 posts

One bad battle?  I've had that happen as well, then the next game I can't miss. 

And yes, I've played SO, sorry, sucks.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

A lot of helpful stuff above. Give the Scharnie another try and see how you go. Just be careful with how and when you push. Stick with your team and fall back if you’re getting focused by the enemy.

• Cool 1

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles

There has been NO nerfing to the Scharnhorst. Like it has been said above you are meant to get closer and brawl. Has always been that way.

[HINON]
Members
9,018 posts

Clearly you need to watch Yuro's how to video to understand that the scharnhorst has broken optics but it doesnt matter because it can spam shells with impunity every 20 seconds. The Scharn is one of my best performing battleships but you don't want to get into a long range duel with higher tier bbs because you do best at closer range. This means you use islands to cover an approach and make sure not to rush in too early in a battle but to push at the right moment. You also want to angle just right to bounce shells off your armored belt. Being fully bow on is a bad idea as you can't bounce shells from the front like the Tirpitz.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Scharnhorst has good accuracy, mine sits at 33% hit ratio and never really fails me with crappy dispersion

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Also scharnhorst sits tied with gnei for 2nd place place for best hit ratio for any t7 bb. I would hardly call that inaccurate

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Max range... yeah, good luck hitting an island at max range. 11 KM or lower and you will be shredding everything, plus with a secondary build your sec guns will be planking everything else.

[SAA]
Members
856 posts
27,256 battles

I expected you to get troll flamed for your post, but it looks like the cool players are on the forum today and are trying to help you.  Listen to what they are saying, it's all good advice.

Wish all post had responses like this.       :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,104 battles

You want to experience insane dispersion at ANY range, waste your $$ on the Dumbkirk (or Dunquirk or actually Dunkerque ). Even at close range the shells will find some way to MISS the enemy ships. If a baseball pircher could throw his pitches like Dumbquirk shoots his shells, every game would be a no-hitter. But they would accuse him of throwing spitters. :Smile_teethhappy: Seriously, don't buy it. It's the worst French BB in the game. And Scharnhorst is like everyone says...a faily close range brawler. 

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Steel Ocean is losing players to WoWS because of crapola like.... their entire game. (stopping your ship makes you more accurate, really?)

Seriously?  They have a mechanic that makes you more accurate if you stop the ship?  lol

• Cool 1

Members
33 posts
2,751 battles

Every ship feels nerfed if you don't know how to play them or how they play to put it better.. of course there's exceptions there are ships that just plain suck and don't excel at anything but german BBs specially Scharn are more about positioning than aiming and sniping. German BB's are fast and have good and different armor than most for a reason, they're designed (at least in game) to get in and out when the time is right. Try practicing this in Coop games and find your ship strength..it's also why it's armed with torpedoes just like her sister Gneisenau (wink wink). 

If you're still too dense to understand what i mean.. GET IN CLOSE AND PERSONAL you will come out on top.

Members
18,226 posts
5,205 battles
55 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Also scharnhorst sits tied with gnei for 2nd place place for best hit ratio for any t7 bb. I would hardly call that inaccurate

Could be because most people know not to snipe in it.

Although, TBH, IIRC, Gneisenau has my best BB hit ratio, and I play it mid-range like all my BBs. Maybe it's that, if I take a long range shot and only hit with one shell, there's only 5 misses instead of 7-9?

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

I've found my error in aiming at long range is probably worse than dispersion.  In that situation, as ironic as it sounds, dispersion is my friend.  In fact, it also helps hitting maneuvering targets even if my aim is spot on.  Hell, at long range vs a DD or a CA, I throw in my own dispersion... each turret gets its own vector.

Rate of fire also helps.  Scharn cycles fast.  Quantity has a quality all its own.  Not to mention plunging fire on CAs...when it hits...will often pen or cit.

Members
18,226 posts
5,205 battles
7 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

Seriously?  They have a mechanic that makes you more accurate if you stop the ship?  lol

Yup, the shooting is just like WoT. Traversing turrets hurts accuracy, moving is even worse.

Playing a BB is often exactly like playing WoT arty, right down to the bird's eye view. Only difference is that, due to the secondaries being as accurate as the mains, the BB can defend itself adequately, and isn't squishy.

To be fair though, they did a decent job of implementing subs. There can be issues depending on the matchups, but I feel they didn't do a bad job balancing them vs. surface ships.