You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pikohan

First Impressions on 36 Premiums I Don't Have

25 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,581 battles

So my goal during Corgi weekend was to play, at least once, every premium I don't own that isn't a clone of or extremely similar to a tech-tree ship. 

So I did, and just for fun here are my first impressions:

1. Arizona
    • Quite tanky, but still gets lolpenned due to overmatch. Kited a Gneisnau within 10km and bounced tons of his shells off the belt. Eventually killed him and then got deleted through the front by a far-away Colorado. Also, slow.
  2. Ashitaka
    • Gun handling seemed better than the impression I got from CC reviews. This was probably my highest damage Corgi game at a 140k. Luckily didn't have to deal with planes, but still can't beat a Tirpitz that wants to hunt you down.
  3. Atlanta
    • I know I played this ship because I thought I'd like it, but I have no memory of the game.
  4. Black
    • Seems OP, but not quite as broken as I originally imagined. The radar's nice, but the short cool down seems like on average it can't really do that much without support.
  5. Blys
    • The worst handling DD ever. At least it has nice guns and nice torps.
  6. De Grasse
    • The most vanilla cruiser ever. Everything is mediocre, but at least it's less mediocre than the Gasoline.
  7. Duca
    • Very nimble. Seemingly accurate guns that don't seem to do that much damage.
  8. Dunkerque
    • This is a big, slow, heavily armored cruiser that doesn't take random citadels from every angle. I think it does a good job promoting proper ammo choice.
  9. Flint
    • I used to think this ship was OP, and then the Belfast came out. The Belfast is more well rounded, but the Flint is a better knife-flighter. Still, a fun ship overall.
  10. Gallant
    • Middle of the road gunboat/torpedoboat. Torpedo angles are terrible, though. T8 MM is terrible too.
  11. Gremy
    • This ship might be OP, but the guns still traverse like garbage. The stealth torping capability seems at odds with the awful gun handling - it's a bit hard to tell when I should stop shooting at range and stealth up for a torp run.    
  12. Harekaze
    • TRB is nice, but doesn't help that much when there's four radar ships, a carrier, and everyone is running away from you. When I finally landed two sets of torps on a Freddy, of course the first set didn't flood. Did finish off my arch-nemesis the Balti and the Taiho though
  13. Huang He
    • Threat of torps is scarier than actual torps. Held off four BBs behind an island before one of them was brave enough to take a few. Then I died.
  14. Indianapolis
    • Stock New Orleans downtiered. Radar is not very useful without support. Seems a pretty ergonomic ship to play though.
  15. Iwaki A
    • This ship is basically Belfast/Kutuzov at tier 4. Even with it's fairly anemic gunpower it's still a bit broken. It could probably go to tier 5 and still be decent. That being said, I think it could be a decent template for IJN CLs - whereas the Russian line is DDs that are super-light cruisers, these should be CLs that are super-heavy DDs.
      • Small number of moderately fast-firing guns (something like the Oyodo only has 3x2)
      • Give it the ability to stealth torp (Iwaki has 8.6k stealth and 10k torps)
      • Give it IJN smoke: you can use it for protection or to start fires, but your DPM isn't enough to make it crazy
      • It should still have a citadel
  16. Kidd
    • Apparently I can't outgun a kiting Shimakaze. 
  17. Kii
    • AA isn't too strong against T10. Since you'll always see T10, AA isn't too strong. I was in a match with a Midway and I shot down a grand total of three planes. Combining AA with a friendly Derpitz and Minotaur gave our ball of death the win though. Did get a chance to torp a Montana but he died before they hit.
  18. Krispy
    • A very weak and very long ranged cruiser. With AFT the range goes up to near 18k, but you struggle to do any damage at that range because the guns are the size of destroyer guns. Maybe needs IFHE.
  19. Kutuzov
    • Smoke is nice, but it doesn't work that well when everyone is running away from you.
  20. Leningrad
    • A better Gremy. Too bad it's also two tiers up.
  21. Lo Yang
    • When you don't get to use hydro, it's just a worse Benson
  22. Makarov
    • This is a clone, what was I thinking? 
  23. Molotov
    • The worst handling of the T6 cruisers. Did not get a chance to utilize the long-range railguns because I was stuck among islands on Shards. 
  24. Murmansk
    • Better than I thought. The extra 1k of range over the Marblehead makes a difference.
  25. Musashi
    • Just like the Izumo I don't know how to aim these guns. The lolpens just turn into overpens for me.
  26. Mutsu
    • Again, the gun handling seemed better than the impression I got from CC reviews. I don't think I ever got into a T8 game though. Steering gears got knocked out a lot while kiting, and the torpedos were of course useless. 
  27. Nelson
    • Not really a battleship, more of a floating artillery platform. Almost threw a game because I thought I could tank at least some shots from a nearby Colorado.
  28. Nicholas
    • This is not a premium ship, but I've overlooked this gem! Clemson might be everyone's de-facto seal clubber, but this can mount DFAA without sacrificing DPM unlike the Farragut, Mahan, and Benson. Plus you get awesome USN 127s that can citadel pretty much any cruiser in your MM. 
  29. Nikolai
    • OP guns for sure. The shell speed is slow and the trajectory is high, but this is actually a feature like USN shells because you overpen less. It's a slow, crappy handling ship with no AA though. 
  30. Perth
    • Don't remember much about this ship except that we lost. The silly smoke makes you want to move, but I think it's a red herring sometimes. Better than the Huang, though.
  31. Roma
    • Did a mediocre 75k damage and placed third on our team. Did not really get a good feel for the inaccuracy of the guns or the tankiness of the armor. Instead, got burned down by a Monarch.
  32. Shinonome
    • The worst handling DD after the Blys. The first time I experienced this was while trying to dodge torps. I died.
  33. Sims
    • All I can remember about this game is that two Leningrads and a Maass in a division tried to push into me. My team deleted them. 
  34. Texas
    • USN guns still OP. This ship still mediocre.
  35. Tirpitz
    • I just found out I forgot to play this.
  36. Warspite
    • It just feels like a sidegrade from the QE, which already isn't my favorite ship.
  37. Yubari
    • Not as OP as the Iwaki, but better than I thought.
  • Cool 7

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I have a couple counters/2 cents for some of your selections:

Lo Yang:

"When you don't get to use hydro, it's just a worse Benson"

That's why you have to force that Hydro on them bro! Get them to pop smoke and then roll the guy that thought it was a good idea to do that against Yangbang. It's actually not worse than Benny, it's just a 4 gunned Benson C hull.... tradeoffs, right?

Gallant:

"Middle of the road gunboat/torpedoboat. Torpedo angles are terrible, though. T8 MM is terrible too"

I had that view, but then I played it using my head and you get some really good results with some patience in the mix. It's crazy up close, really pounds the red DDs even with it's -goofy at range- guns. Cap contesting is strong on this one if you give it a chance. It's an all around DD, not wicked strong but provided you're not in MM purgatory good games can most certainly be had, but you'd probably better like DD play.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
3 hours ago, pikohan said:

Dunkerque

• This is a big, slow, heavily armored cruiser that doesn't take random citadels from every angle. I think it does a good job promoting proper ammo choice.

I have wanting this ship for awhile so while I was a Corgi I had to try her. NOW I know for sure if she is still available, and I have the cash - I will get her.

Nelson

• Not really a battleship, more of a floating artillery platform. Almost threw a game because I thought I could tank at least some shots from a nearby Colorado.

I was trying to decide or the Nelson 1st or the Musashi 1st as my first FXP, after using them both it will be the Nelson.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,833 posts
11,533 battles

•  
  1. Perth
    • Don't remember much about this ship except that we lost. The silly smoke makes you want to move, but I think it's a red herring sometimes. Better than the Huang, though.

What Piko? How can you say not best bote is better than best bote?

:cap_book:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,827 posts
9,581 battles

Gremmy is best played as a torp boat. You have to have the correct modules and skills fitted to make the guns useable.

Kidd... yea. A meh bote in randoms and a dismal failure in compeditive. No you won't outgun a shima that's running.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

You got some of my favorite ships in there...  Having one sentence for each - felt way, way off.  But I understand, first impression and all :fish_book:

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,339 battles

Glad to see that you no longer think that Black is broken; I think too many people have jumped on the Black-is-broken bandwagon without actually seeing the ship, let alone having one to play.

Though I’m slightly disheartened to see that you still think it’s OP. It’s not. If you take speed boost or defensive fire instead of radar, it’s then a flat-out nerfed Fletcher: torps are so much slower that they are useless outside of suicide range, ship speed is slower, and AA is slightly weaker. What does it get over the Fletcher? Just a couple thousand more damage on the torps, a few km more torp range, and a shorter torp reload by about 10 seconds. These don’t even come close to outweighing the slower torps and slower ship speed.

If you use the radar, then you completely give up on having a decent speed for a DD or any complement to your AA to help against CV. Plus, the radar has such a short duration and the shell arcs on USN DDs are so awful beyond 6km that you’re lucky to damage even half of a DD’s health as they run away.

I honestly think Black should get a separate consumable slot for its radar, then it will be a balanced ship; right now it has too many negatives and too few good things. But of course, the general community will never agree to this change because they’ve all jumped onto the Black-is-broken bandwagon without having any experience to make a useful opinion themselves. And this post is probably going to get a lot of thumbs-down by these same people.

Edited by Peregrinas

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
5 hours ago, pikohan said:

Perth

Perth uses a unique play style. And I do recommend moving while under smoke. Got close to 1k matches with the ship.

Makarov

Yup, can be easily deleted even angled.

Tirpitz

Play like a Bismark. Just remember you have torps. The Arkansas Beta was interesting. I wish they allow us to get premium ship from the account pass.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
3 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

Glad to see that you no longer think that Black is broken; I think too many people have jumped on the Black-is-broken bandwagon without actually seeing the ship...

You listed out pro and cons of using Black solo.  You may want to consider force multiplication potential of Black in coordinated division play.   

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,339 battles
2 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

You listed out pro and cons of using Black solo.  You may want to consider force multiplication potential of Black in coordinated division play.   

Every ship can become powerful in coordinated division play. We shouldn’t be making exceptions for Black.

Edited by Peregrinas

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
Just now, Peregrinas said:

Every ship can become powerful in coordinated division play. Black is no exception here.

I agree, except Black becomes significantly more powerful when compared to other possible ship choices.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
14 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

Glad to see that you no longer think that Black is broken; I think too many people have jumped on the Black-is-broken bandwagon without actually seeing the ship, let alone having one to play.

Though I’m slightly disheartened to see that you still think it’s OP. It’s not. If you take speed boost or defensive fire instead of radar, it’s then a flat-out nerfed Fletcher: torps are so much slower that they are useless outside of suicide range, ship speed is slower, and AA is slightly weaker. What does it get over the Fletcher? Just a couple thousand more damage on the torps, a few km more torp range, and a shorter torp reload by about 10 seconds. These don’t even come close to outweighing the slower torps and slower ship speed.

If you use the radar, then you completely give up on having a decent speed for a DD or any complement to your AA to help against CV. Plus, the radar has such a short duration and the shell arcs on USN DDs are so awful beyond 6km that you’re lucky to damage even half of a DD’s health as they run away.

I honestly think Black should get a separate consumable slot for its radar, then it will be a balanced ship; right now it has too many negatives and too few good things. But of course, the general community will never agree to this change because they’ve all jumped onto the Black-is-broken bandwagon without having any experience to make a useful opinion themselves. And this post is probably going to get a lot of thumbs-down by these same people.

I think the introduction of the Pan Asian line kind of ended the debate over this since those ships can equip a short radar at high tiers.  The biggest problem facing a Black is the captain is ALWAYS a very good player.

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
7 hours ago, pikohan said:

Makarov

1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Yup, can be easily deleted even angled.

Played it just like I do Konigsburg and Nurnburg and didn't have any trouble with it at all.

Blys

Play it like a Gnevny; especially now that OWSF is gone.

Gallant

• Middle of the road gunboat/torpedoboat. Torpedo angles are terrible, though. T8 MM is terrible too.

Haven't had any trouble with the torpedoes; love the guns.

Indianapolis

• Stock New Orleans downtiered. Radar is not very useful without support. Seems a pretty ergonomic ship to play though.

...or it's a tougher Pensy with Radar. Belfast, despite having HE, has been just as useless for me as all the other RN cruisers. At least Indy's shells hurt things.

Krispy

• A very weak and very long ranged cruiser.

Play it like destroyer leader, same as I do with Emerald, and don't seem to have much trouble with it. Like Emerald; win or lose; it has the virtue called 'I like it.'

Lo Yang

An impossibility. Nothing is a bad as Benson.

Murmansk

• Better than I thought. The extra 1k of range over the Marblehead makes a difference.

Two more destroyer leaders. Murm is one of my low-tier users of RPF; mostly because I didn't have anything better to do with a spare RU captain, and spec'd him for it.

Warspite

• It just feels like a sidegrade from the QE, which already isn't my favorite ship.

Well; I first got it back in the dark days of 2015, when you would get up from your computer and go brew tea while waiting for the turrets to turn.

Certainly not as good in it as Mouse; but again; it has the virtue 'I like it.'

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well; I first got it back in the dark days of 2015, when you would get up from your computer and go brew tea while waiting for the turrets to turn.

Ever since the turret traverse upgrade, and the addition of Jack Dunkirk, I love Warspite!  Definitely don't think it's a side-grade from QE, but maybe I just need to try QE some more.

Hard hitting, accurate 15" guns at Tier 6.  What's not to like?

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles
9 hours ago, pikohan said:

So my goal during Corgi weekend was to play, at least once, every premium I don't own that isn't a clone of or extremely similar to a tech-tree ship. 

So I did, and just for fun here are my first impressions:

1. Arizona
    • Quite tanky, but still gets lolpenned due to overmatch. Kited a Gneisnau within 10km and bounced tons of his shells off the belt. Eventually killed him and then got deleted through the front by a far-away Colorado. Also, slow.
  2. Ashitaka
    • Gun handling seemed better than the impression I got from CC reviews. This was probably my highest damage Corgi game at a 140k. Luckily didn't have to deal with planes, but still can't beat a Tirpitz that wants to hunt you down.
  3. Atlanta
    • I know I played this ship because I thought I'd like it, but I have no memory of the game.
  4. Black
    • Seems OP, but not quite as broken as I originally imagined. The radar's nice, but the short cool down seems like on average it can't really do that much without support.
  5. Blys
  6. De Grasse
    • The most vanilla cruiser ever. Everything is mediocre, but at least it's less mediocre than the Gasoline.
  7. Duca
    • Very nimble. Seemingly accurate guns that don't seem to do that much damage.
  8. Dunkerque
  9. Flint
    • I used to think this ship was OP, and then the Belfast came out. The Belfast is more well rounded, but the Flint is a better knife-flighter. Still, a fun ship overall.
  10. Gallant
  11. Gremy
    • This ship might be OP, but the guns still traverse like garbage. The stealth torping capability seems at odds with the awful gun handling - it's a bit hard to tell when I should stop shooting at range and stealth up for a torp run.    
  12. Harekaze
    • TRB is nice, but doesn't help that much when there's four radar ships, a carrier, and everyone is running away from you. When I finally landed two sets of torps on a Freddy, of course the first set didn't flood. Did finish off my arch-nemesis the Balti and the Taiho though
  13. Huang He
    • Threat of torps is scarier than actual torps. Held off four BBs behind an island before one of them was brave enough to take a few. Then I died.
  14. Indianapolis
  15. Iwaki A
    • This ship is basically Belfast/Kutuzov at tier 4. Even with it's fairly anemic gunpower it's still a bit broken. It could probably go to tier 5 and still be decent. That being said, I think it could be a decent template for IJN CLs - whereas the Russian line is DDs that are super-light cruisers, these should be CLs that are super-heavy DDs.
      • Small number of moderately fast-firing guns (something like the Oyodo only has 3x2)
      • Give it the ability to stealth torp (Iwaki has 8.6k stealth and 10k torps)
      • Give it IJN smoke: you can use it for protection or to start fires, but your DPM isn't enough to make it crazy
      • It should still have a citadel
  16. Kidd
    • Apparently I can't outgun a kiting Shimakaze. 
  17. Kii
    • AA isn't too strong against T10. Since you'll always see T10, AA isn't too strong. I was in a match with a Midway and I shot down a grand total of three planes. Combining AA with a friendly Derpitz and Minotaur gave our ball of death the win though. Did get a chance to torp a Montana but he died before they hit.
  18. Krispy
    • A very weak and very long ranged cruiser. With AFT the range goes up to near 18k, but you struggle to do any damage at that range because the guns are the size of destroyer guns. Maybe needs IFHE.
  19. Kutuzov
    • Smoke is nice, but it doesn't work that well when everyone is running away from you.
  20. Leningrad
    • A better Gremy. Too bad it's also two tiers up.
  21. Lo Yang
  22. Makarov
  23. Molotov
    • The worst handling of the T6 cruisers. Did not get a chance to utilize the long-range railguns because I was stuck among islands on Shards. 
  24. Murmansk
  25. Musashi
    • Just like the Izumo I don't know how to aim these guns. The lolpens just turn into overpens for me.
  26. Mutsu
    • Again, the gun handling seemed better than the impression I got from CC reviews. I don't think I ever got into a T8 game though. Steering gears got knocked out a lot while kiting, and the torpedos were of course useless. 
  27. Nelson
  28. Nicholas
    • This is not a premium ship, but I've overlooked this gem! Clemson might be everyone's de-facto seal clubber, but this can mount DFAA without sacrificing DPM unlike the Farragut, Mahan, and Benson. Plus you get awesome USN 127s that can citadel pretty much any cruiser in your MM. 
  29. Nikolai
    • OP guns for sure. The shell speed is slow and the trajectory is high, but this is actually a feature like USN shells because you overpen less. It's a slow, crappy handling ship with no AA though. 
  30. Perth
  31. Roma
    • Did a mediocre 75k damage and placed third on our team. Did not really get a good feel for the inaccuracy of the guns or the tankiness of the armor. Instead, got burned down by a Monarch.
  32. Shinonome
    • The worst handling DD after the Blys. The first time I experienced this was while trying to dodge torps. I died.
  33. Sims
    • All I can remember about this game is that two Leningrads and a Maass in a division tried to push into me. My team deleted them. 
  34. Texas
    • USN guns still OP. This ship still mediocre.
  35. Tirpitz
  36. Warspite
  37. Yubari
    • Not as OP as the Iwaki, but better than I thought.

I have most of these, so I'll drop my 'actually owned' review in.

1) Arizona - nice guns, but the ludicrous speed loss on turns means that she's way more sluggish than even your average standard American BB.

2) Ashitaka - never saw any reason to buy a nerfed Amagi.

3) Atlanta - dumb. I guess it has a high appeal among a certain subset of players, but she is so clearly outclassed in the DD hunting role by Flint and Belfast that it's almost a joke.

4) Black - never happening.

5) Blys - massively undertuned against more compelling gunboats like Akizuki.

6) De Grasse - lame. Bought it for the flag.

7) Duca - weak. The gun performance sucks, and the torpedoes - while hilarious - are next to useless.

8) Dunkerque - outmoded. Owned by carriers.

9) Flint - never happening.

10) Gallant - a torpedo platform with quick-but-terrible guns. Not really fun to play.

11) Gremy - never happening.

12) Harekaze - I don't even remember if I own this or not. Probably not.

13) Huang He - hot garbage. One of the worst ships in the game.

14) Indianapolis - almost as bad as Huang He.

15) Iwaki A - no.

16) Kidd - Own it, never played it.

17) Kii - I don't get it. Amagi is a battlecruiser that tanks like a BB; Kii is a battleship that blows up like a battlecruiser. Go figure. 

18) Krispy - Junk.

19) Kutuzov - everything that a Cleveland should be.

20) Leningrad - see Harekaze.

21) Lo Yang - Meh guns, torpedoes are weak.

22) Makarov - no.

23) Molotov - one of the best cruisers in the game if you can avoid getting citateled. Angling does not matter - bow, stern, sides, upsidedown - the shells will find you.

24) Murmansk - hahahaha.

25) Musashi - I wouldn't waste the free XP.

26) Mutsu - surprisingly fun. I have a fair number of games in her, and she does well if you remain at a distance. The torpedoes are truly useless - I have killed someone with them all of once.

27) Nelson - weird. The HE is almost as good as on KGV, and the AP is... well, it's there. The heal is insane, but you have to actually live long enough to use it a few times in order to justify how much damage the thing takes. And, in my experience, if more than 1 person is shooting at you, you aren't going to make it.

28) Nicholas - only good if it's top tier.

29) Nikolai - only vulnerable to carriers.

30) Perth - junk.

31) Roma - Good, but not as great as I once thought. If you can manage to get close enough to brawl, the crazy turret rotation is awesome. The AA and exposed citadel, however, make me sick to my stomach.

32) Shinonome - surprisingly fun, if you can manage to avoid being seen.

33) Sims - don't care.

34) Texas - tier 5 American battleship? No.

35) Tirpitz - so much better than Bismarck now it's almost silly.

36) Warspite - used to be a go-to. I haven't played it in months.

37) Yubari - only fun with a high level captain.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,581 battles
7 hours ago, Canadatron said:

That's why you have to force that Hydro on them bro! Get them to pop smoke and then roll the guy that thought it was a good idea to do that against Yangbang. It's actually not worse than Benny, it's just a 4 gunned Benson C hull.... tradeoffs, right?

Yeah, I get that, was just another game where everyone was running away (from the Corgi no less!), so that was the first impression :Smile_sceptic:

5 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I was trying to decide or the Nelson 1st or the Musashi 1st as my first FXP, after using them both it will be the Nelson.

If you can... you should get the Missouri instead of either :Smile_Default:

3 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

I did notice that the ship was pretty sluggish, but I haven't played the Fletcher so I didn't have a good point of comparison and didn't think too much of it, but that lowers my view on her for sure. The slow torps I don't think are strictly worse: in the conventional sense of "here's a ship going in some direction, I'm going to predict and torp and hope they hit", they will probably miss more than the fast Fletcher torps, but if you just throw them in a choke point or somewhere where the reds are just milling around, I think the element of surprise is stronger due to how long they take to arrive. Of course, first impression.

As far as still being OP: I just think right now anything that has smoke and radar is a little too much, even if the radar is mediocre as far as radars go... this game still isn't over the cancer that is/was Payfast, 

3 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The Arkansas Beta was interesting. I wish they allow us to get premium ship from the account pass.

Yeah! I regret not getting to that one a little bit. In retrospect I think having all those modules would make it significantly different enough from the Wyoming to make it worth a go. Next time.

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Play it like destroyer leader, same as I do with Emerald, and don't seem to have much trouble with it. Like Emerald; win or lose; it has the virtue called 'I like it.'

That could be a thing if it wasn't so slow! I think it's the slowest T5 cruiser bar none. At least the Emerald has smoke, and a much better suite of torps. I liked the Emerald too though :Smile_teethhappy:

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

Warspite is actually quite different from QE. QE has less accurate guns and worse overall pen on her AP due to royal navy BB shallow pen shells. Warspite also has better turret traverse. And better rudder and turning circle. QE on the other hand has better HE and better AA.

I wasn't a fan of QE, but Warspite still remains a personal favorite. Just wish my stats were better on her since she was my very first premium and I played her a lot back when I potatoed everywhere.

[SYN]
Members
4,545 posts
11,437 battles
12 hours ago, pikohan said:

Nicholas

To mount DFAA on the Nicholas you have to use the upgraded hull, which forces you to drop one of the five guns on the stock hull.  While the guns on the new hull share the same range and have a higher RoF than the stock guns, they also have a significantly lower muzzle velocity (Roughly 4.5 vs 6 second RoF, and 750m/s vs 920m/s), and you have one less barrel.  You still get the same torpedoes.

I'm of the opinion that, because of the extra barrel and better ballistics, the stock-hulled Nicholas is actually better than the upgraded one.  I can live with 1100 less HP and no DFAA in a Tier V destroyer.

[-TKS-]
Members
297 posts
5,942 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

i took almost a year off from playing wows came back and thought from the premium ships i have the warspite does earn a lot of money. 2nd to the atago.  the one thing i used to remember was the dispersion , always thought is was bad . doesn't see to bad now . however when they gave us the free captain re-spec  i changed from turret traverse to the fire faster per hp lost ... what a mistake . now i dont want to pay the 250d to re-spec so im stuck for a bit. 

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

This became more amusing reading the run through while listening to something like this. Fun and quick review. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,581 battles
7 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

35) Tirpitz - so much better than Bismarck now it's almost silly.

Why do you think that? My understanding is that after they buffed the Tirp, the only difference between the two is torps versus hydro, neither of which are strictly better than the other?

4 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Warspite is actually quite different from QE. QE has less accurate guns and worse overall pen on her AP due to royal navy BB shallow pen shells. Warspite also has better turret traverse. And better rudder and turning circle. QE on the other hand has better HE and better AA.

I wasn't a fan of QE, but Warspite still remains a personal favorite. Just wish my stats were better on her since she was my very first premium and I played her a lot back when I potatoed everywhere.

I don't deny that it's different enough to not be considered a clone (that's why I played it!), I just don't think the differences make it any better than the QE, it's just a different set of tradeoffs (which is why I say side-grade). 

4 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

I'm of the opinion that, because of the extra barrel and better ballistics, the stock-hulled Nicholas is actually better than the upgraded one.  I can live with 1100 less HP and no DFAA in a Tier V destroyer.

I presume the thing you like is the additional effective alpha damage (on account of better shell trajectory and more guns) you can get with the 5x1 setup? I personally don't value that over the extra health, DPM, and DFAA, especially on a ship where the funs are constantly firing, but it's an interesting thought. A ship where I think I would prefer additional alpha over DPM is like the Mutsuki - trading the poorer handling 4x1 setup on that ship for the better handling, better DPM 2x1 is probably worse.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,942 battles
2 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Why do you think that? My understanding is that after they buffed the Tirp, the only difference between the two is torps versus hydro, neither of which are strictly better than the other?

I don't deny that it's different enough to not be considered a clone (that's why I played it!), I just don't think the differences make it any better than the QE, it's just a different set of tradeoffs (which is why I say side-grade). 

I presume the thing you like is the additional effective alpha damage (on account of better shell trajectory and more guns) you can get with the 5x1 setup? I personally don't value that over the extra health, DPM, and DFAA, especially on a ship where the funs are constantly firing, but it's an interesting thought. A ship where I think I would prefer additional alpha over DPM is like the Mutsuki - trading the poorer handling 4x1 setup on that ship for the better handling, better DPM 2x1 is probably worse.

Because I think for medium-close range BBs, torps have more use than hydro. Torps are a standoff weapon system and active deterrent to enemy ships - they make you perilous to approach, and every enemy on the map has to take them into consideration. By contrast, hydro is a situational utility that can sometimes spot a DD or an incoming spread of torpedoes - not totally useless, but not as powerful as something that can devastate even a full-health high tier BB. 

Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
18 hours ago, pikohan said:

Blys

I agree that Bly's maneuvering is pretty poor for a DD. But! For a CL it's great and that's how I mostly play Blys, as a CL that has no citadel and lower detectability. (I primarily drive CLs) Contesting caps can be a chore because of the poorer than usual for a DD maneuvering but her guns can put a major hurting on other DDs. The 70 second torp reload is a nice bonus.

18 hours ago, pikohan said:

Perth

Perth's smoke can be a blessing and a bane. When you coasting along at 1/4 speed it's nice but when you have to beat feet because a DD spotted on you it leaves a big trail for the bad guys to follow, they all know where you are and where you're going until it times out. However, I find Perth to be a damn good ship and I both do very well with her and have a lotta fun too. Huang and Perth are a lot alike except that Huang has better AA and Perth has more guns. IMHO, Perth's a much better ship.

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

Really sucks when nobody is spotting for you. Gets funny when ally DDs hide in your smoke trail, then it runs out and suddenly you're surrounded by 3-5 enemy ships. But that's the risk of pushing with them. 

Edited by Yoshiblue