Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pussnboats

How to fix this?

4 comments in this topic

[AN2AC]
[AN2AC]
Members
150 posts

Here is a screenshot of literally as close as I could get to a  cap in  a DD, due to radar.  With over 6 radar ships on the other team, and them using radar in chains.

shot-18.02.20_19.04.36-0167.jpg

• Boring 1

Members
1,183 posts
9,109 battles

When I get into matches with excessive radar I just spam torps and hope for the best. Some times it works out, some times I just pad my stats before we lose. One of the worst games I had was a few days ago where the reds had 6 radar and my team had 1, it was over before it even started.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

When there's that much enemy radar and your team can't/won't work together to make any concerted pushes, there's not much you can do.  It basically becomes a game of trying to get in as much damage as you can while you wait out the loss; it doesn't help that you drew one of the worst maps to face a heavy radar presence on in this one.

There's a fairly popular push going on to try to goad WarGaming into factoring radar into the matchmaking system, so you don't get so many lopsided matches like the one Rouxi mentioned above, but who knows if that will ever come to anything...if it's even realistically possible given that so many ships have the option of fitting different consumables instead of radar (do you count T8+ PADDs as radar ships?).  Until then us DD guys have to take our lumps every so often when the matchmaker decides to lump all the radar on the other team.  Thankfully scenarios like these don't happen that often, at least not now that the novelty of the Missouri has worn off a bit.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,291 posts
23,927 battles
1 hour ago, Harv72b said:

When there's that much enemy radar and your team can't/won't work together to make any concerted pushes, there's not much you can do.  It basically becomes a game of trying to get in as much damage as you can while you wait out the loss; it doesn't help that you drew one of the worst maps to face a heavy radar presence on in this one.

There's a fairly popular push going on to try to goad WarGaming into factoring radar into the matchmaking system, so you don't get so many lopsided matches like the one Rouxi mentioned above, but who knows if that will ever come to anything...if it's even realistically possible given that so many ships have the option of fitting different consumables instead of radar (do you count T8+ PADDs as radar ships?).  Until then us DD guys have to take our lumps every so often when the matchmaker decides to lump all the radar on the other team.  Thankfully scenarios like these don't happen that often, at least not now that the novelty of the Missouri has worn off a bit.

Some thoughts.

1. WG says that they don't factor in consumables in MM.  Fine.  I'm sure they don't.  But that doesn't change the fact that Radar is an IMMENSELY powerful consumable.  I won't exactly say that it's OP.  But because they refuse to factor it into MM or do something else about it, a considerable imbalance in the number of radar ships between the two teams can all but guarantee a win for the team with  more radar.  Not always, but very often.

2. I always count up the number of obvious radar ships on my team and the enemy team.  I don't count ships like high tier RN CL's because it's fairly rare for one of them to take radar rather than smoke, though it does happen on occasion.  I prefer to stick to counting the nearly certain radar ships, like the Missouri, Belfast, Atlanta, Indy, and the USN and  VMF tier 8+ cruisers.

3. I don't know how one fixes this issue in a good way, other than to have MM balance off radar equipped ships.  It's probably too late to remove radar from the game, given that it's in some premium ships.  Furthermore, the reason they added radar in the first place hasn't gone away.  They could add radar to all tier 8+ cruisers as that would seem to remove most of the imbalance issues, except for the fact that it would only vastly exacerbate the problem that having too much radar would make it all but impossible for DDs to do a damned thing.

EDIT:  To add to this line of thought, here is one suggestion for a way to reduce the potency of effect of radar without actually changing its raw stats.  It's a suggestion that's been made before, but perhaps should be made again.

Suggestion:  Have radar only make enemy ships visible on the HUD for the ship that's mounting the activated radar.  However, any ship spotted by radar would show up on the mini-map for all team mates to see,  even though it wouldn't show up on their HUDs.  This would allow them to close on the spotted ship if they chose to do so.

A related thought.  If a radar spotted ship gets hit by gunfire, maybe allow it to be lit up on all team mate's HUDs for a very short period of time, like 2-4 seconds perhaps.  This way, good focus fire could keep the  spotted target lit, but if you start missing, it'd quickly go dark.  Just a strange idea I thought I'd throw out there.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 4

Sign in to follow this