Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Why is there Team Damage in Coop?

19 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,321 battles

So to start off I did a bad and cross dropped an enemy BB that was brawling our friendly BB. One torpedo got through and hit him, which with his low HP killed him. So I know it was my fault, I’m a potato CV player, but it made me wonder: why is there team damage in coop? Operations is team based, yet there isn’t team damage. Now you may argue that it’s easier to troll and grief others in Operations hence the non existence of friendly fire. While that is true, I do find it odd one coop mode has FF enabled while the other does not. Regardless, time to play 10 games to get that ugly pink name tag off my screen.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,321 battles
Just now, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Because it is funny watching the Bots kill each other.

I mean you’re not wrong

Members
3,784 posts
14,050 battles

IMHO, it's good to have team damage in Co-Op as it (hopefully) teaches new players to be careful about shooting, whether it's torpedoes or guns.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Really though I have never seen a Pink Bot.{are they not Ship Captains} TK is a human trait most new players soon learn not to shoot their allies.This is a teaching item in the tutorial version of the game {Co-Op} Some very good players stayed  because of the lvl of competition in the PVP was not their cup o tea.

• Cool 2

Modder
1,493 posts
2,448 battles

Consistent behavior between modes removes the chance someone is going to show up in PVP and TK the crap out of their team because they didn't know FF is a thing.  Besides utilizing weapons safety is never is bad thing.

Edited by TheStarSlayer
  • Cool 2

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,321 battles
Just now, TheStarSlayer said:

Consistent behavior between modes removes the chance someone is going to show up in PVP and TK the crap out of there team because they didn't know FF is a thing.  Besides practising proper weapons safety is never is bad thing.

And I’m totally cool with that, just seeing an inconsistency is all.

[PVE]
Members
5,619 posts
18,209 battles

Every single team kill I have gotten in the game has been in Co-op and usually playing a carrier when their are friendly bots on the team. I send my planes to auto drop and it never fails, a friendly bot rushes up to my target and stops...  It gets kind of old fast.. I really wish they would improve the AI a bit. Watching the bots rush at each other full speed then come to a dead stop to exchange torpedoes and gunfire is just lazy programming.

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,489 posts
3,435 battles

The official reason is that Co-Op serves as training wheels for the mainstay of the game, PvP. So Friendly Fire will always remain active in that particular PvE mode. WG said so themselves.

The only reason it's removed in Operations is to stop players from deliberately sabotaging the mode for others by deliberately TK'ing the transports or base facilities they're supposed to protect. I do recall WG originally considering leaving friendly fire active vs player ships but not defense targets, but chose to keep it simple and instead throw more enemies into the mode rather than have selective friendly fire.

• Boring 1

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

Coop is the shallow end of the pool but it's still the pool. Coop was designed to train players who felt that they were not good enough yet for random games. Learning how not to cause team damage is a significant part of playing the game. If you want games with no team damage play Operations.  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

My take on it is that it's there so the WG developers can have a laugh every time a "friendly" bot teamkills you.

[INTEL]
Members
8,582 posts
25,696 battles

Why is there Team Damage ?

Fixed that for you. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,582 posts
25,696 battles
18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Coop is the shallow end of the pool but it's still the pool. Coop was designed to train players who felt that they were not good enough yet for random games. Learning how not to cause team damage is a significant part of playing the game. If you want games with no team damage play Operations.  

Yeah, except no. The vast majority of team damage isn't human on bot, it is tremendously stupid bot on human damage. So the humans learn nothing, except that bots will kill them in situations in which no human would, except by deliberate TKing. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
6 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

IMHO, it's good to have team damage in Co-Op as it (hopefully) teaches new players to be careful about shooting, whether it's torpedoes or guns.

6 hours ago, TheStarSlayer said:

Consistent behavior between modes removes the chance someone is going to show up in PVP and TK the crap out of their team because they didn't know FF is a thing.  Besides utilizing weapons safety is never is bad thing.

This ^^^.

Co-op was designed originally to teach people how to play before going into Random games. So you don't want them developing bad habits (like dropping on an enemy BB while a friendly is brawling it LOL). The modes need to be as close as they can to each other. And even though these days Co-op has evolved into a stand alone mode of sorts as well it still is used as a training area (low tier) or stress relief area for cross over players too. I think if TK was removed it would just lead to even worse play from people.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Yeah, except no. The vast majority of team damage isn't human on bot, it is tremendously stupid bot on human damage. So the humans learn nothing, except that bots will kill them in situations in which no human would, except by deliberate TKing. 

With all respect I have to say this is not my experience in 5K+ Co-op games. I take far more tk damage from humans than the bots. It is about equal with CV's.

[LUCK]
Members
1,302 posts
19,576 battles
8 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

That and I'm sure some woodchuck would take it upon themselves to delete a teammate(s) for the opportunity to farm more damage, kills and XP if there wasn't a penalty.

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Why is there Team Damage ?

It's part of a diabolical plot by WG to reduce the length of games.
Cos reasons.

• Funny 1

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
26 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

It's part of a diabolical plot by WG to reduce the length of games.
Cos reasons.

Cancer damage!

To the OP, it's because it adds 150% more fun to co op battles, how funny is it to see half of the enemy team kill each other while trying to rush B? 

It's pretty darn funny to me.

Sign in to follow this