You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Scotch_Donkey

American BB Captian Set Up

28 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
4,805 battles

I'm closing in on my 16th point for my American BB Skipper.  What skills are the best for an American BB?

Here is what I'm running now:

1 - Priority Target

2 - Expert Marksman & Adrenaline Rush

3 - Basic Fire Training

4 - Concealment Expert

Thanks in advance - and as always enjoy a sea cat.

RoyalNavyCat.jpg

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts

IMO .... Shouldn’t be running concealment expert on a US BB other than NC.

generally speaking you should be at midrange.   That’s 4 skill points for a benefit that disappears once you start shooting and for the rest of the game.

BFT, AFT are your friends in American BBs

Members
80 posts
4,805 battles

Thanks - The previous consensus was that I had to run CE.  Kinda questioned it, but ran with it anyway.  I'll probably redistribute points either at 16 or 19.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
207 posts
13,125 battles

Have you looked at the Wiki? For every ship they rank the captain skills based on their usefulness for that ship.

• Cool 1

Members
80 posts
4,805 battles
1 minute ago, Mik6669 said:

Have you looked at the Wiki? For every ship they rank the captain skills based on their usefulness for that ship.

I guess so - and most American BBs should be about the same.  Either I wanted a group opinion or was being lazy... :fish_sleep:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts

Here’s a build I would typically run on American Battleships of Tier 8 or below.  It wouldn’t be too shabby for 9 or 10... but not my preferred build at those tiers:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000011100010000010010000100019

It really reduces the threat from fire, torps, and airplanes.

Take the rudder shift and Target Acquisition mods where available.

[B2P]
Members
1,662 posts
21,037 battles
1 hour ago, Scratched said:

Thanks - The previous consensus was that I had to run CE.  Kinda questioned it, but ran with it anyway.  I'll probably redistribute points either at 16 or 19.

Don't. CE is definitely worth it. With all the HE spam and focus firing a BB has to deal with, being able to drop detection is crucial for your survival. Without CE, a Montana will have a 15.6km detection range. Good luck getting unspotted with that. With CE, you can get it down to 13.4 which is much more manageable .

I go with a full AA build because it's a USN BB, so why not?

PT, PM

EM

BFT

AFT, CE, Manual AA

Edited by Ju87s

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

My current high tier US BB skippers are more geared towards survivability. For 16 pts:

PT

EM, AR

BOS - that extra heal is awesome

CE, FP - 1 fewer fire is great

Alternatively I do run my high tier CA captains in my premium BBs 16 pt:

PT

EM, AR

BOS 

CE, AFT

Note: I take BOS on nearly every ship with a heal. That’s one extra shot of health that comes in really handy.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles

The above video discusses a couple of build ideas that I've either messed around with personally or am currently running.  I personally run, (for those who don't want to watch the video):

-Preventative Maintenance - PM is great for moving Main Armaments Mod 1 to Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 as PM takes over the job of MAM1 pretty well which allows the use of AAM1

-Expert Marksman - Because these ships frequently find themselves in situations in which turret rotation is key.  The "Battleship Driveby Joust" was a USN Specialty for a LONG time.

-Superintendent - Because HE spam means more repairs necessary

-Concealment Expert - Because surprise NC/Alameme/Iowa/Missouri/Montana at cruiser detection ranges will make any cruiser captain or broadside BB captain wet their pants... also being able to disengage at cruiser levels of detection means you can get away from the HE spam you WILL receive

-AFT - Because screw you CV's with my 7.6km no fly zone

-BFT - Because screw you CV's with my 400 DPS at 5.1km in my T8 no fly zone

-AR - Because just when you thought my [edited] accurate guns (at the high tiers) with stupid AP pen at long ranges and high alpha were plenty ridiculous at 30s for reload time, it gets shorter the more damage you do to me! :)

Some people question why I don't run Priority Target, and my comment is always the same:  My Mark 1 eyeballs allow me plenty of knowledge of when I'm being focused on and general situational awareness can yield some pretty good information without relying on an indicator to tell me that.  The detected icon and incoming shell fire is PLENTY of information to determine when I can and cannot maneuver.  I don't run direction center for catapult aircraft because the planes don't stay up long enough to matter anyway.  I also don't run BoS, HA, or FP because these ships are very strong with stealth builds and can easily disengage when played correctly.

In general, this build yields more great games than other builds I've tried over the years of playing this game.  That's not to say other builds aren't viable, or this build is the ONLY build ever, it's just it works great for me.  It also happens to be a solid build for most cruiser lines and the French BB Richelieu (and I suspect many other BB's too).  

[REVY]
Members
6,291 posts
5,164 battles
7 hours ago, Scratched said:

I'm closing in on my 16th point for my American BB Skipper.  What skills are the best for an American BB?

Here is what I'm running now:

1 - Priority Target

2 - Expert Marksman & Adrenaline Rush

3 - Basic Fire Training

4 - Concealment Expert

Thanks in advance - and as always enjoy a sea cat.

If he's an American BB captain, he should be specced to offer the maximize PTSD given to aircraft pilots.

Irw7Bjw.gif

Edited by Sventex
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
10,240 posts
18,879 battles
7 hours ago, Scratched said:

5 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Don't. CE is definitely worth it. With all the HE spam and focus firing a BB has to deal with, being able to drop detection is crucial for your survival. Without CE, a Montana will have a 15.6km detection range. Good luck getting unspotted with that. With CE, you can get it down to 13.4 which is much more manageable .

I go with a full AA build because it's a USN BB, so why not?

PT, PM

EM

BFT

AFT, CE, Manual AA

Yeah, keep that CE. It is a HUGE help at fading in and out so the HE Spammers can't cook you, or disengaging to get out of a sticky situation, while staying within a very effective range for your ship (12-15km) and it gets even better when you can equip the ship with the concealment module starting at T8 with the NC. I wouldn't get caught without CE/CSM1 T8+.

Ship + CSM1 + CE:

• Colorado - 13.9 (CE only CSM1 N/A)
  • North Carolina - 11.8km
  • Alabama - 12.2km
  • Iowa - 12.2km
  • Missouri - 12.2km
  • Montana - 13.4km

Just a HUGE difference and one that really helps. They can't shoot you if they can't see you. And, this isn't some kind of camping/sniping benefit either. It lets you operate within a range where you are very effective with the guns and can support DD and Cruisers and such. It just lets you do it with the ability to go dark when needed AND even more important disengage and get out of town if the situation goes south.

IMO build the T7+ US BB's and their Capt's for AA, Gun Accuracy (not range - stock range is enough on all of them), and Concealment.

My 19pt Montana Capt is built to maximize stealth, AA, and also survivability IMO core skills would be....

1. PM
  2. EM
  3. BFT/SI
  4. AFT/CE

That is 17 so you can use the final 2 once 19 is reached however you wish. I use PT and IFA but you could go with AR, JOAT, or HA.

You are at 15 you said so I would go... 

1. PT/PM
  2. EM
  3. BFT
  4. AFT/CE

Of course everything is all opinion and what fits you best. This is what works best for me. And remember, if you go stealth and AA with the Capt do the same with the ship.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah, keep that CE. It is a HUGE help at fading in and out so the HE Spammers can't cook you, or disengaging to get out of a sticky situation, while staying within a very effective range for your ship (12-15km) and it gets even better when you can equip the ship with the concealment module starting at T8 with the NC. I wouldn't get caught without CE/CSM1 T8+.

Ship + CSM1 + CE:

• Colorado - 13.9 (CE only CSM1 N/A)
  • North Carolina - 11.8km
  • Alabama - 12.2km
  • Iowa - 12.2km
  • Missouri - 12.2km
  • Montana - 13.4km

Just a HUGE difference and one that really helps. They can't shoot you if they can't see you. And, this isn't some kind of camping/sniping benefit either. It lets you operate within a range where you are very effective with the guns and can support DD and Cruisers and such. It just lets you do it with the ability to go dark when needed AND even more important disengage and get out of town if the situation goes south.

IMO build the T7+ US BB's and their Capt's for AA, Gun Accuracy (not range - stock range is enough on all of them), and Concealment.

My 19pt Montana Capt is built to maximize stealth, AA, and also survivability IMO core skills would be....

1. PM
  2. EM
  3. BFT/SI
  4. AFT/CE

That is 17 so you can use the final 2 once 19 is reached however you wish. I use PT and IFA but you could go with AR, JOAT, or HA.

You are at 15 you said so I would go... 

1. PT/PM
  2. EM
  3. BFT
  4. AFT/CE

Of course everything is all opinion and what fits you best. This is what works best for me. And remember, if you go stealth and AA with the Capt do the same with the ship.

Hey, I know that captain build! :P

[PVE]
Members
10,240 posts
18,879 battles
8 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Hey, I know that captain build! :P

Well, in part it was developed through watching your videos so I expect you would. :Smile_teethhappy:

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Well, in part it was developed through watching your videos so I expect you would. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well that explains it! :D  It really is a useful build.  Good mix of everything without overly specializing in one area over the other.  Been my favorite build for when I'm not sure what a line will actually be good at since the captain skills rework at 0.6.0.

[PVE]
Members
10,240 posts
18,879 battles
6 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Well that explains it! :D  It really is a useful build.  Good mix of everything without overly specializing in one area over the other.  Been my favorite build for when I'm not sure what a line will actually be good at since the captain skills rework at 0.6.0.

I actually run it pretty much standard on all my BB's as it is an all purpose build as you say. What I really like is that it helps both AA and secondary guns so it helps all BB's. My Montana, Yamato, and GK Capt's all run the same basic skills for me. Yamato is missing SI as I am only to 17 and I haven't wanted to spend doubloons to respec but my Montana and GK Capt's are at 19 so they have the full set. 

Where are the French BB how to videos??? Stop playing here and get to work LOL. J/K as I know they aren't even officially out yet but am looking forward to them when you can post them. Will be very curious to watch your Lyon video and see what you say about it. That thing is ridiculously fun.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I actually run it pretty much standard on all my BB's as it is an all purpose build as you say. What I really like is that it helps both AA and secondary guns so it helps all BB's. My Montana, Yamato, and GK Capt's all run the same basic skills for me. Yamato is missing SI as I am only to 17 and I haven't wanted to spend doubloons to respec but my Montana and GK Capt's are at 19 so they have the full set. 

Where are the French BB how to videos??? Stop playing here and get to work LOL. J/K as I know they aren't even officially out yet but am looking forward to them when you can post them. Will be very curious to watch your Lyon video and see what you say about it. That thing is ridiculously fun.

Soon(TM).  I don't actually have Lyon or Normandie, just Bretagne and Richelieu.  Not sure I want to spend more money on the premium crates to get the other two since the only one I really wanted was Richelieu because she's just so dang pretty! :)

[PVE]
Members
10,240 posts
18,879 battles
7 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Soon(TM).  I don't actually have Lyon or Normandie, just Bretagne and Richelieu.  Not sure I want to spend more money on the premium crates to get the other two since the only one I really wanted was Richelieu because she's just so dang pretty! :)

I thought you must have at least got to test Lyon?

I got lucky and got all 4 of the BB's so have played them all and Lyon is just a blast. It will be in my regular rotation for sure. When you shoot it looks like a swarm of angry bees descending on the target there are so many shells LOL. My only issue with it is that HUGE mini mall of a front tower/structure that catches every shell within it's orbit. Similar issue on T5 and T6 too.

Normandie is a pretty good T6 too. Bretagne is a T5 so that about sums it up LOL although it is ok for a T5. I am not a big all guns forward ship guy so have played Richelieu sparingly. It is ok but not a favorite. I think Stevie Wonder throwing rocks at the red ships would be more accurate than it is. I wonder if WG screwed up and threw German BB gun stats on it? LOL :Smile_amazed:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,353 posts
8,477 battles

My USN BB cpt currently has:

1- PT

2- AR

3- SI

4- CE

5- EM

6- AFT

You can trade AFT for fire prevention, depending on what you want, better AA or better fire protection. 

IMO CE is a must on most ships, it allows you to get better firing positions and to disengage if needed.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think Stevie Wonder throwing rocks at the red ships would be more accurate than it is. I wonder if WG screwed up and threw German BB gun stats on it? LOL :Smile_amazed:

I believe historically the 4 gun turrets were noted to have poor accuracy. 

[NNC]
Members
2,103 posts
12,801 battles
3 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

My current high tier US BB skippers are more geared towards survivability. For 16 pts:

PT

EM, AR

BOS - that extra heal is awesome

CE, FP - 1 fewer fire is great

Alternatively I do run my high tier CA captains in my premium BBs 16 pt:

PT

EM, AR

BOS 

CE, AFT

Note: I take BOS on nearly every ship with a heal. That’s one extra shot of health that comes in really handy.

Riip thats not bos. Thats SI your talking about

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I thought you must have at least got to test Lyon?

I got lucky and got all 4 of the BB's so have played them all and Lyon is just a blast. It will be in my regular rotation for sure. When you shoot it looks like a swarm of angry bees descending on the target there are so many shells LOL. My only issue with it is that HUGE mini mall of a front tower/structure that catches every shell within it's orbit. Similar issue on T5 and T6 too.

Normandie is a pretty good T6 too. Bretagne is a T5 so that about sums it up LOL although it is ok for a T5. I am not a big all guns forward ship guy so have played Richelieu sparingly. It is ok but not a favorite. I think Stevie Wonder throwing rocks at the red ships would be more accurate than it is. I wonder if WG screwed up and threw German BB gun stats on it? LOL :Smile_amazed:

I have tested it, but everything in testing is under NDA forever and ever and ever and ever. Amen.  So that means you'll never see anything about the ship until I've played it on live, which I can't at the moment! =\

7 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

I believe historically the 4 gun turrets were noted to have poor accuracy. 

Yup, it was an issue not resolved in Richelieu until post WWII and was done by installing delay coils in the pairs so one of the barrels shot slightly after the first.  FWIW, every ship during WWII that sported multibarrel turrets suffered from accuracy issues due to the blast of the adjacent barrel.  Some did it more than others, but delay coils were required on most.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,161 posts
3,943 battles

1: Priority Target

3: Adrenaline Rush

6: Superintendant - For extra heal

10: Concealment Expert

14: AFT

17: BFT

18: PM

19: EL

You don't need Expert Marksman on anything that rotates faster than 30-35 seconds for a 180.

The last 2 points you can sink into whatever you want really, but I really like PM, and Expert Loader is the best remaining option.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

There are a few builds that work well on US Battleships.  I have x3 19 point captains that I can use on my Montana, Missouri, Alabama, Arizona and Texas.  2 captains for randoms and 1 for clan battles.

The builds are:

Build 1 (All-Purpose)

1 - PM

2 - EM or AR

3 - BFT

4 - FP, CE, AFT

Build 2 (AA)

1 - PM

2 - EM, AR

3 - BFT, Vig or SI

4 - FP/AFT

The reason you take PM instead of PT as a USN BB is because as a BB, you should expect to be targeted by everyone who can see you anyway.  Part of your job is to draw fire away from friendly cruisers and destroyers.  In short, you should expect to be shot at whenever you're spotted.  It does no good knowing whether 2 people or 5 people are looking at you as you don't have the ability to go into crazy WASD incoming fire avoidance.  PM is the way to go as it allows you to take AAM1 in slot 1 which gives your secondaries and AA guns double hit points while maintaining additional hit points in your main batteries.  AR ad EM are a nice quality of life choices and there's nothing in tier 2 that is worth taking over them.  EM allows my Montana and Missouri, which in a full turn at full speed, to maintain my turrets being able to track a moving target.  Not having EM means you can't track many targets while at full rudder.  BFT is useful for the AA build for obvious reasons.  Superintendent and vigilance can be swapped in build 2.  If you have trouble dodging torpedoes, vigilance is a fine choice.  If you're good at torp dodging, having an extra heal is nice if you take superintendent. My own preference is vigilance.  If I can avoid torpedoes chances are I won't need that 5th heal.  FP is mandatory on all BB's, IMO.  That is ALWAYS my first 4 point skill.  With the inherent awesomeness of US AA, its silly not to take AFT.  CE is always useful.  You have 10 seconds where you can go dark between shots if you're shooting from beyond your detection rage.  Having lower detection makes it that much easier to avoid incoming fire and withdraw from a bad spot.  

I use build 1 when I solo and build 2 when I division.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle

Beta Testers
347 posts
2,163 battles

Just in my experience Priority target is useless. I don't need some UI element telling me I'm being targeted. So I go:

-Preventive Maintenance. I find the lower risk of modules being knocked out helps a lot more. It helps late game since you'll have a lower risk of your turrets or AA mounts being disabled making you stronger late game.

-Adrenaline Rush. More dpm as the fight goes on.

-BFT. USN BB anti-air is godly at high tier.

-Concealment. NC and Iowa in concealment build have cruiser levels of stealth. You can pop up and and surprise people with massive citadel hits if you position correctly. Cant be shot at if you cant be seen. And since NC and Iowa have pretty weak armor by BB standards your stealth will help you survive.

-AFT. More AA, enough said.

-Your choice of Superintendent (more consumables), Vigilance (torpedo beats since Iowa and Montana turn like beached whales), or BoS (cause reasons)

-Expert Marksmen for faster turrets. Or as another option you can go Jack of All Trades

Another option if you want to be cancer: replace PM with DCCA and go catapult spotting aircraft build and watch the enemy team hate you (works better with cruisers).

Edited by Phaere

Members
80 posts
4,805 battles

Thanks everyone!

As always I expected some different opinions.  In the end it is up to me to choose what I think is best for my play.  Obviously I doubted myself - so I asked!  Thanks again for the responses.  May the wind be at your back. :Smile_Default: