You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

1,000 Games in Kii

16 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Gratz! I'm impressed with how many planes you shot down with it. 

Thank you. I put her up front alot. This is still not a full AA build, either. I imagine others who tag with carriers in divisions could attain even higher numbers.

Members
3,820 posts
8,135 battles

Really impressed--+1. I have been SO tempted to get this ship. Can you tell me what you like about her and why you focused on her so much?

For example how would you react to this reaction to Kii posted in the forum?

Wargaming, make the Kii Class what it should be, an actual upgrade to Amagi, not another hybrid unit like Mutsu and it can still perform at t8. Give her the longer range secondaries, torpedo bulges and Amagi upgraded guns, that is why people buy premium. Kill the torpedoes and knock down the speed a little more. Even 27.5 knots is acceptable for a "fast" battle ship which is only a half knot slower than Yamato. With her increased survivability she will be able to withstand the punishment.

Cheers.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,123 posts
5,391 battles

Kii isn't bad. Oddly enough, despite being an actual battleship, it's always felt far less tanky to me than Amagi. I do wish the torpedoes were a bit more useful - it's hard to justify their presence on such a fragile platform.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,263 posts
3,154 battles
22 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Kii isn't bad. Oddly enough, despite being an actual battleship, it's always felt far less tanky to me than Amagi. I do wish the torpedoes were a bit more useful - it's hard to justify their presence on such a fragile platform.

That would be because she is less tanky than Amagi.
Kii's citadel roof has an unfortunate issue with overmatches, and her whole layout is just less effective than Amagi's.   

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
9,764 posts
19,290 battles
1 hour ago, BrandonKF said:

Personal milestone attained... (snip)

Congrats...

Hopefully you’re not seeing Kii afterimages floating before you eyes...

How does one not burn out playing the same ship so much? I have nearly 12k games in all modes, and the most in any single ship is 325-ish with Langley in Co-op... (Next would be 300 with Bogue in Randoms.)

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,352 battles
38 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

13 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Kii's citadel roof has an unfortunate issue with overmatches, and her whole layout is just less effective than Amagi's.   

I have said it once and I will say it again. IMHO you play Kii like a Battlecruiser/Fast Battleship, if you play her like Kongo you will do very well with her.

Also congrats on 1000+ games in the Kii, very well done @BrandonKF.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

How does one not burn out playing the same ship so much? I have nearly 12k games in all modes, and the most in any single ship is 325-ish with Langley in Co-op... (Next would be 300 with Bogue in Randoms.)

I have always wondered this as well. In PvP play, I think I have more matches in my Atago than anything else and that is maybe 300. The only reason I have that many is because I used it to grind up a bunch of IJN captains to 10 points while working on the Honors/Yamamato campaigns. The second most used is probably my Murmansk and that is because I love her. She may have 100 games.... I can not even imagine 1000 games in one ship although over a long time that is a possibility.

Gratz OP and good luck!

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
2 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Really impressed--+1. I have been SO tempted to get this ship. Can you tell me what you like about her and why you focused on her so much?

For example how would you react to this reaction to Kii posted in the forum?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

2 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

To start with, @Stauffenberg44, I personally liked having torpedoes for a change. But then I forced a square peg into a round hole there, and made her a brawler.

The problem, as Lutzow mentions, and River confirms, is she is far less 'tanky'. Her hull design, as I mentioned many times before, is very flat, and with a 32mm armor section located directly above her armor belt, it will not stop the incoming, but rather just help it go straight into the citadel, which is scarcely thick enough to even be considered a citadel. Oh, and roughly halfway down her barbettes the armor changes to only 55mm, making it laughably easy for incoming shells aimed under her bridge to citadel her.

However, her AA is one of the best in its tier, even when not specialized for it, making it less insufferable to be caught out in the open on a flank by accident. Having a reputation like Kii means carriers aren't entirely happy to send their planes in your direction. The one big one recently that hurt is the Graf Zeppelin, and any U.S. equipped AP bombs. These will just flat-out level you, and their torpedo spreads and manual drops are something that your maneuverability will not help you escape from. In this instance, you need friends, preferably of the cruiser persuasion, to assist in breaking up the attack.

Her guns will troll you. There is no stopping that. The 16-inch guns will bounce and shatter regularly on tier X and tier IX cruisers and battleships, unless you are given flat broadsides to engage, or close to within 12 kilometers. However, broadside or with plunging fire, you can reliably citadel with her on cruisers and make them want to fire spam you to death (which they will). I halfway wish they'd tighten the sigma and stop watching my shots straddle things at 14 or 16 kilometers, but I understand the balancing act being played. Still.....

To answer your other question of why I focused on her, I'd need to address what Prophet and Taylor said.

-

2 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

I have said it once and I will say it again. IMHO you play Kii like a Battlecruiser/Fast Battleship, if you play her like Kongo you will do very well with her.

Also congrats on 1000+ games in the Kii, very well done @BrandonKF.

What Akashi says is halfway true, but I have to tell you, Akashi, I disagree to a point, because of the fact that Kongo is played in a tier match-up where battleship accuracy is nowhere close to the dispersion levels one sees at tier 10.

Not even playing against tier 7s 60 percent of the time can equal seeing tier X every 6 out of 10 matches, in my opinion.

And the fact that she is not the fastest ship in her tier leaves her at a disadvantage. The Kongo can reasonably disengage, kite, and keep other opponents at range reliably. The Kii will only get away if the opponent is under heavy maneuvers or deliberately slows to half speed.

Others have mentioned to me that they use her in a kiting method to take advantage of the fact that six of her guns are to the rear, and I can attest that this is a fair tactic, albeit with the caveat that you are basically playing the bait for an enemy team.

2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Congrats...

Hopefully you’re not seeing Kii afterimages floating before you eyes...

39 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have always wondered this as well. In PvP play, I think I have more matches in my Atago than anything else and that is maybe 300. The only reason I have that many is because I used it to grind up a bunch of IJN captains to 10 points while working on the Honors/Yamamato campaigns. The second most used is probably my Murmansk and that is because I love her. She may have 100 games.... I can not even imagine 1000 games in one ship although over a long time that is a possibility.

Gratz OP and good luck!

Basically... because I wanted to git gud in her.

A certain mouse mentioned her love for her Warspite. I decided Kii would be my Warspite. I would control my win rate in her. As a result, driving her like this, I saw my play improve, and my win rate went from 46 percent, to holding at 52 percent overall now.

Plus there's something just so satisfying about driving past an enemy battleship literally 100 meters apart, and launching torps right into her bow. It's not the knockout that Tirpitz offers, but it backs them up hard on the ropes and makes them remember, "Oh yeah, Kii has torps."

Or torping into smoke blind and seeing the destroyer who thought it had your number go up in flames.

If I can single out a single tier X cruiser or battleship, so long as it's a one-on-one, I'll just take the challenge for what it is, and go in for the kill.

Against multiple enemies, I need to be more cautious, so I'll back off if it's early. Might cost us the match, might not, but then in mid to late game I have had some banger moments where I was blazing secondaries, guns in all directions, torps flying fore and aft, and thought, "Fun!"

[PVE]
Members
7,865 posts
13,749 battles

WOW. 1000 games in 1 ship. Congrats. I have less than 6000 games combined in ALL my ships LOL.

I am not a huge IJN BB line guy. Liked Fuso and love Yamato/Musashi but the rest = yuck or meh and that includes Amagi. However, for some reason, I actually like Kii overall and play it voluntarily LOL. 

As far as your image issue try http://www.imgur.com It is 100% free and easy to work with. I swapped over to there after Photobucket pulled their bull crap last year and have been very happy (other than no real way to organize stuff).

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles

Not even gonna lie, I still don't have a single ship past 100. I keep telling myself I'm gonna make Mahan break 100 just to put it into the top 100 players board on Warships, but never get around to it. How you managed to do that with Kii is beyond me. Not saying it is a bad ship, but man I feel like if I'm not progressing something is wrong.

Honestly, I blame Navyfield for that, you literally had to GRIND in that game. I think it took me 6000 matches to get a crew level 115 finished for just Japan. That being said, at least on that game I could take lower tier ships with the same crew to level them up :cap_rambo: AA Emden anyone?

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
On 2/22/2018 at 6:36 AM, Azumazi said:

Not even gonna lie, I still don't have a single ship past 100. I keep telling myself I'm gonna make Mahan break 100 just to put it into the top 100 players board on Warships, but never get around to it. How you managed to do that with Kii is beyond me. Not saying it is a bad ship, but man I feel like if I'm not progressing something is wrong.

Honestly, I blame Navyfield for that, you literally had to GRIND in that game. I think it took me 6000 matches to get a crew level 115 finished for just Japan. That being said, at least on that game I could take lower tier ships with the same crew to level them up :cap_rambo: AA Emden anyone?

Lots of cussin' and grit. Lots of suggestions on how to improve her. Ultimately, just denying that I am a garbage player and wanting to prove I could drive her well, and stick it in the face of others who said otherwise.

Never been much into the whole 'grind' thing. For me, doing well is a grind. Doing well each and every time you get into a match, that is a grind. But each time there is a hardfought victory, the grind becomes a moment of exhilaration.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Grand_One said:

Hey when you pay for something, and enjoy it, why not use it? Congrats! I feel the same way about my Arizona...

2018-02-23.png

That number for warships destroyed versus battles is one thing I'd like to have changed eventually. Next milestone is to supersede battles fought with number of ships destroyed in Kii. Well done to you.

[DRACS]
Members
4,330 posts

1000+ games in a single ship 0.o

Damn, dude! Still ... I like Kii. I've only played some 20 or 30 games in her, but she never disappoints. Definitely less tanky than Amagi, and marginally less accurate (I say marginally because base dispersion on IJN ships is very very tight), but has better AA and torps for those Oh-@$^$ moments, so she feels a bit more well rounded. Plus I got the Kobayashi armor on her which looks slick (unlike Roma's, lol), so she's good for credits and XP.