Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Situational_Unawareness

Quick tips on German DDs

5 comments in this topic

Members
63 posts
223 battles

I recently started working down the German DD line and at first I was kinda thrown off by the weird frontal torpedoes but so far these things are a blast. Pretty speedy, decent guns, and the torps are like shotguns, smaller range it looks like but when they hit you definitely feel them. I need to get better with my consumables and how aggressive I get, I've accidentally gone head first into a few cruisers keeping an eye out for me and I'm pretty clumsy with my mobility, hitting a lot of islands here and there. I've tried using my Smoke for allies but it kinda evaporates pretty quick it seems. They also seem a bit wide which hasn't been problematic yet but I don't look forward to taking AP pens. Any general tips on German DDs would be greatly appreciated, or DD tips in general as the line is fairly new to me.

Members
1,148 posts
4,262 battles

So I'm assuming you're still in the lower tiers because you mentioned front facing torps.

Quick-tips

• First you're gonna lose those front-facing torps at about IV or V, can't remember
  • The V is gonna be the worst of the grind, its garnered more of a reputation as a tugboat than a warship
  • You're gonna get torps with progressively longer range capping out at 10.5km at the tier X DD
    • Your torps will also have formidable speed and low concealment but be countered by meh dmg. However, at the the higher tiers, your torps also have a reliable short reload
  • For most of the line your guns will be slighter better than average till about the VIII.
    • The IX and X have 3x2 128mm guns that are not only a threat to DDs, but are effective against broadside cruisers and battleships. These are guns where you'll mostly see your dmg dealt with AP instead of HE. You'll be farming 4-7k per salvo
  • Down the line you will also receive hydro starting at VI with the Gaede's b-hull I think. This makes them excel at cap contesting. (The Z-52 at X has 5.9km hydro range)
  • You will find that KM DDs are susceptible to being smacked by AP more often than other DDs
  • You're smoke is terrible, duration is short
  • The key to playing the KM DDs to their absolute best is understanding that they can "mimic" the playstyles of the other nations. They can either play a VMF/USN gunboat or the IJN/USN cap contest and torp boat. However, this depends on how you spec your captain and what modules to choose.

I will post a link to an old thread I had made after my first 100 games in the Z-52. It is somewhat dated but still holds up. Hopefully, you can understand how to best use the KM DDs. This is a line that takes awhile before it gets good, but the end result are a IX and X that are the 2nd best destroyers in game. Of course, in my opinion.

Here's the link:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/114915-z-52-and-the-hybrid-build/

Good luck

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 2

Members
63 posts
223 battles
5 minutes ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

So I'm assuming you're still in the lower tiers because you mentioned front facing torps.

Yeah, learning with the V-25 and G-101 right now, don't wanna tier up too fast without knowing what I'm doing. And yeah, I've noticed the German lines have a rough line with a few gems in between but at tiers 9 and 10 they perform extremely well. Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to look into your thread.

Members
842 posts

The T5 and T6 KM DDs are the hardest to play, as they kinda suffer from bad turret rotation and a VERY slim-to-none stealth torp window. 

But as soon as the T7 rolls around, the availability of hydro combined with excellent guns means you cap bully better than anyone else. KM DDs *are* the capping ships of the game.

I've found the KM DDs best overall strategy is to do two things:

1. Scoot-and-Shoot:  their big HP pools (for a DD) means that they can stay out in the open and shoot at stuff far more than anything except the Russian DDs.  Launch torps to where you THINK the enemy will turn into, and then open fire - the enemy will see you're a DD, realize they are probably being torped, and turn.  But, OOPS! you didn't torp down their current path, but the path you expected them to take when they turned. So, they just turned INTO your torps.  Glorious. Using that gunfire as a distraction really, really helps score more torp hits.  It's also an excellent way to be able to shoot a few volleys to get a fire, then stop and run for cover.
  2. Gang-Bang:   This is more for when you get nerves of steel.  It requires using smoke, cover, and Hydro all together.  You can pop out of cover, shoot the full torp spread at an enemy 6-8km away who is headed your way, then smoke up immediately. Start firing from the smoke, moving around inside.  Pop your Hydro.  By the time your opponent gets into your hydro range, your torps will have reloaded, and you can shoot again point-blank (where they still can't see you), and then RUN.

KM DDs are not smoke campers like US/PA ones.  They use it for temporary cover to get off a few volleys at big stuff, or as cover in a knife fight with another DD in combination with their hydro. 

And lastly, KM DDs AP is great.  Thin-skinned cruisers are easy to citadel, and your ROF is sufficient to deal lethal damage to all but full-health CLs.  You just can't do it at range:  it's knife-fighting with cruisers that works. Heck, the nice AP is even better for wracking up damage against the superstructure of broadside BBs. 4k+ damage volleys every 7 seconds adds up quickly.  

The big thing you have to get used to is that in KM DDs, you'll find yourself switching back and forth from HE to AP far more than any other line of any other type.  You absolutely want to use AP in certain situations, but that can quickly turn into one where you need to switch back to HE.  Knife-fighting DDs is an example:  when you have the flat side of an enemy DD, use your AP.  That might last 2 volleys before they angle away more than 30 degrees, so you switch back to HE.  And so forth.

Sign in to follow this