Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Gascogne French Premium ship

23 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles

Richelieu vs Gascogne

Fyi, on the PTS I chased down the french premium ship, Gascogne. It's seriously weak gentlemen the main problem is the turret placement.  WG you hearing me???!!! Anyway, the only reason beta tester survived was he's buddy's focus fired me to death.  WG thinks you can dress up a W-h-o-r-e with lip-stick and a evening gown (dress) and call it a Lady. Honestly, it's still a w-h-o-r-e. Gascogne is a POS.  Here's a post of the France (tier 10) taking on the Roma.  Only reason France survived was his team mates killed the Roma.  So what chance does Gascogne have against the Roma in such an encounter?  

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Members
3,820 posts
8,135 battles
22 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Cascogne is a POS.

If you are going to slur a French battleship (planned but not finished in 1940) at least get the name right--it's Gascogne, and the wine from that region of SW France near the Pyrenees is lovely, almost as good as a Languedoc wine for my tastes. ;)

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,258 posts
5,352 battles

I can imagine a certain members response to OPs post... Flak jackets gentleman!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15 posts
3,356 battles
32 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

If you are going to slur a French battleship (planned but not finished in 1940) at least get the name right--it's Gascogne, and the wine from that region of SW France near the Pyrenees is lovely, almost as good as a Languedoc wine for my tastes. ;)

Are you French ? 

Because... As a French person, and living in South West of France, I totally agree with your tastes ^^ 
We have some very good "little" wines

• Cool 1

Members
3,820 posts
8,135 battles

My spouse is French yes (Savoie), and I lived and worked there. And the wines from Languedoc? Ooooooo a good Fitou, Corbiéres or Minervois svp!

Morts aux cons qui preféres les Beaujolais!

[oui c'est une blague]

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles
3 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Type "O" fixed. Gents, I totally enjoy French ships.  But when I open up a can-of-whoop A-S-S on the "Gascogne" makes me wonder if I want to spend $$$$ on it.  It struggled in Hermes mission on the PTS last week.  My Richelieu was plowing through no problem.  It has to be the turret placement. PERIOD!! I don't sugar coat anything. I call them like I see them. WG if you want my money better step it up!

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
  • Funny 1

Members
3,820 posts
8,135 battles
10 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Type "O" fixed. Gents, I totally enjoy French ships.  But when I open up a can-of-whoop A-S-S on the "Gascogne" makes me wonder if I want to spend $$$$ on it.  It struggled in Hermes mission on the PTS last week.  My Richelieu was plowing through no problem.  It has to be the turret placement. PERIOD!! I don't sugar coat anything. I call them like I see them. WG if you want my money better step it up!

Well said... and fair comment.

[WOLF3]
Members
18,679 posts
17,039 battles

Bad BB is a Bad BB.  WG has been shuffling stats around for Gas Can to make it palatable.  Otherwise they'll have another catastrophically bad Premium BB Sales like Mutsu, Ash*taka.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles

The Other than the  Gascogne and France BB French line fits my aggressive play style.  I don't like having my arm tied behind my back and being told it's fair fight.  No matter how WG improves rate of fire you are only fighting with one turret on a push. The Richelieu and Alsace offers better turret arrangement. Sure you can can hit targets at extreme ranges but how it that supporting your DD in contesting cap zones or allowing your secondaries to be effective from 25K?  The BB is suppose to be the meat shield so DD and CLs can do their magic. Only way I see Gascogne and France being able to slug it out his have Conqueror heals with under water citadel.  Which causes more brain head play style as Flamu has mentioned in his you-tube videos. 

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[TURDS]
Members
46 posts
1,149 battles
2 hours ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

4tw?? 

For the win...

The "not" part is sarcasm. But I suppose I am being too hard on the gascan. Pretty much any ship with the right playstyle\skillset can win. 

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles

Flambass, a beta tester had hosted a division with two World of Warship employees who said they will be complying stats of all french battleships  after some time.  Now, I learned listening to their discussing how the Gascogne and Republique are to be played.  Those two ships aren't brawling ships using a broadsword like Bismarck or GK.  This is mainly due to their turret layout.  Think of them as a foil (type of sword used for fencing) you make piecing strikes to the heart of the enemy.  However, due to her shells high velocity, we have horrible shell dispersion.  Not to mention over pens on cruiser that are inside 8K range. To make matters worst high tier CL can go bow-on to your Gascogne's AP knowing you cannot pen them with 380mm shells. 

Okay, I broke down an purchase the Gascogne for training my Captain as it would to long using the Dunkerque and De Grasse. 

Oh here is the youtube video 

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

Members
1,803 posts
9,525 battles

Hey

Has anyone really seen one in battle yet (not counting the video above).  I have not seen one Gascogne yet in battle, probably will be as popular as Ashitaka overall.

Pete 

Members
1,803 posts
9,525 battles
20 hours ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Flambass, a beta tester had hosted a division with two World of Warship employees who said they will be complying stats of all french battleships  after some time.  Now, I learned listening to their discussing how the Gascogne and Republique are to be played.  Those two ships aren't brawling ships using a broadsword like Bismarck or GK.  This is mainly due to their turret layout.  Think of them as a foil (type of sword used for fencing) you make piecing strikes to the heart of the enemy.  However, due to her shells high velocity, we have horrible shell dispersion.  Not to mention over pens on cruiser that are inside 8K range. To make matters worst high tier CL can go bow-on to your Gascogne's AP knowing you cannot pen them with 380mm shells. 

Okay, I broke down an purchase the Gascogne for training my Captain as it would to long using the Dunkerque and De Grasse. 

Oh here is the youtube video 

Hey

Interesting video with some good information.  But what is it with Wargaming an the development of German ships; the Z39 is garbage at this point and we have their failures with the Graf Zeppelin, the still unseen T61 (I would have liked to had a question as to why we haven't seen it yet) and so far the Z39 is disappointing?  I am glad to hear about the Asashio getting the torpedo detection increase and I actually look forward to this ship.  One game issue that I have seen is the graphics at time seem sluggish even though I have a good ping, and it doesn't happen all the time.  The Gascogne looks interesting but is it really worth buying especially with the dispersion; I have yet to see one in game.  Anyways and informative video.

Pete

Members
3,820 posts
8,135 battles
9 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Has anyone really seen one in battle yet (not counting the video above).  I have not seen one Gascogne yet in battle, probably will be as popular as Ashitaka overall.

Pete 

I have seen them a number of times, like this one where my killing spree was ended by a dam* Gascogne. At least it was a fellow French battleship---Vive la France!:

5a9de2c66b228_Alsace1.thumb.jpg.441de69fb56a8628ab611cbdfecd599d.jpg

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
10 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Pete 

I ended up purchasing one. Needed some dubloons, flags, and wanted an extra lv10 CMDR. 

While a fair number of people will cite the reviews main by the CCs saying the ship is "bad" or the "gun placement on Richelieu is better" or something to that Effect. 

I've found Gascogne, to be "fun" thus far. But one think to keep in mind is I'm Cruiser Main; well I identify as one. And having the A-X turret setup gives you a BC style of feel. 

The argument, that Richelieu has a stronger Turret layout, is a fair assessment BUT that's for Traditional Bow-In style of BB. Honestly the "over the shoulder" shots when kiting, retreating, is "doable". The Turret layout for Gascogne is significantly better for achieving that tactic.

As much as @LittleWhiteMouse's, " MehbBote" status is true for a traditional BB. As a BC, I'd rate her a "FairBote"

Members
1,803 posts
9,525 battles
14 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

I ended up purchasing one. Needed some dubloons, flags, and wanted an extra lv10 CMDR. 

While a fair number of people will cite the reviews main by the CCs saying the ship is "bad" or the "gun placement on Richelieu is better" or something to that Effect. 

I've found Gascogne, to be "fun" thus far. But one think to keep in mind is I'm Cruiser Main; well I identify as one. And having the A-X turret setup gives you a BC style of feel. 

The argument, that Richelieu has a stronger Turret layout, is a fair assessment BUT that's for Traditional Bow-In style of BB. Honestly the "over the shoulder" shots when kiting, retreating, is "doable". The Turret layout for Gascogne is significantly better for achieving that tactic.

As much as @LittleWhiteMouse's, " MehbBote" status is true for a traditional BB. As a BC, I'd rate her a "FairBote"

Hey

The placement of the turrets don't bother me as I absolutely love the Graf Spee which is similar in many ways.  My concern is about the dispersion of the main guns and whether or not it's usable.  Having only 4 guns facing forward is no big deal since I am used to the German BB's which have 4 guns facing forward at any given time.  The gun caliber is the same which does hurt them some, it's too bad the Cascogne didn't get a slight buff for reload of 25-26 seconds.  I have the Dunkerque and the 2 turrets up front is not an ideal setup for most battles IMHO.  The big question:  If you had to do it again, would you buy her, with a 6 or 10 point captain?  

Pete

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Well I'm currently not running ASM1 on Gascogne or Spee. Opted for SBM2. 

Basically since I know in advance the dispersion is relative crap, I factor that into my aiming. On purpose I'll aim a touch high, other times a bit low. The poor dispersion Will affect Unicums because they're Ace at Aiming. 

Trusting Dispersion is a generally poor tactic, hence ASM1 and APRM2 as standard for builds. IMO if it's bad to begin with, your choices are Mitigate OR forget about it. In Gascogne and Spee's case I "forget about it" I think I'm currently at ~8x Citadels with the ship. 50% are 100%Luck at 18km+ Range. 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
25 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

[...]

I have the Dunkerque and the 2 turrets up front is not an ideal setup for most battles IMHO.  The big question:  If you had to do it again, would you buy her, with a 6 or 10 point captain?  

Dunkerque and by extension Richelieu's turret setup is also great. But it's moreso for "rapid response" Bow tank presence. 

Would I take a 6 or a 10? I'll probably almost always take the 10. I don't currently have enough lv19s to generate ECxp to boost the cheaper bundles with 6s and push for more 19s simultaneously. 

When I purchased a Harekaze I took the 6. That commander is sitting somewhere still "grinding" to 10. Having access to that T4cmdr skill is huge for higher tiered ships. 

Members
1,803 posts
9,525 battles
33 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

Dunkerque and by extension Richelieu's turret setup is also great. But it's moreso for "rapid response" Bow tank presence. 

Would I take a 6 or a 10? I'll probably almost always take the 10. I don't currently have enough lv19s to generate ECxp to boost the cheaper bundles with 6s and push for more 19s simultaneously. 

When I purchased a Harekaze I took the 6. That commander is sitting somewhere still "grinding" to 10. Having access to that T4cmdr skill is huge for higher tiered ships. 

Hey

Guess what I was trying to ask; if you had to do it all over again.  Would you buy the Cascogne, knowing what you know now?

Pete

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Guess what I was trying to ask; if you had to do it all over again.  Would you buy the Cascogne, knowing what you know now?

Pete

Ah... yes. As a Cruiser Main, I prefer the BC style of play for BBs. So I would do it again. Possibly have gotten the bundle with PremTime though. The Mehbote review had me spend otherwise. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this