Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

To promote active play should bump tanking reward

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts

right now potential damage taken reward just too little, should bump it greatly to promote more active play,

think about it, any damage coming is damage avoided by team members, it's as important as damage delivered to the enemy team

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

Attempting to tank sustained HE spam doesn't win games.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts

Bbs already get a reasonable bonus from potential damage to encourage good play.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles

I don't think that many of these ideas to reward "good play" matter a hill of beans to many of the players that we'd be wanting to get to play better.  The "good" players are already going to try to play well because they want to play to win.  And the not-so-good players who are only playing for fun aren't going to change their ways just  because there are some incentives out there.  The play for fun types don't care much about winning.  They care about shooting their guns at enemy ships and that's just about it.  You think that that sort of player gives a flying fig about how much potential damage they "take"?  I don't think they do.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
9 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

There's so much that needs to be rewarded in this game.

Like I said above, exactly how are these rewards going to get the play for funners to change their "only care about shooting enemy ships" ways?

At some point, I think that it might be important to consider that these play for funners just don't give a crap, and that no incentive you can think up will change their ways.  And maybe instead of trying to change the ways those who will simply refuse to do so, perhaps WG should come up with more/better rewards for those who do play to win.

Just as a random idea...  I don't know if there's any particularly special XP/credit benefit to winning one of the epic medals that currently give you some signal flags.  Obviously, if you earn a High Caliber medal, all the damage you do will give you good XP and credit rewards, for example.  But what about if you earn such a medal, then there should be a bonus to your credits and XP (if there isn't already)?  And that unlike signal flags which are usually once per day rewards, the bonus credits and XP would be rewarded every time the medal is earned?  Maybe make the bonus a, for example, +10% modifier to XP and credits.  And if by chance you win multiple medals in a  battle, those +10% modifiers stack.  They'd affect credits, combat XP, commander's XP, and free XP.

On a related topic.... what about adding an epic medal for taking multiple caps in a battle (assists and solo caps would be treated the same)?  Not sure what signal flag, if any, would be attached to this.  Could be an already existing one.  (I suggest treating assisted and solo caps the same, because there's always someone wanting to jump on a cap to grab an assisted cap ribbon for the XP/credits, and if the medal was only solo caps, the person jumping on the cap for an assist would be screwing the first guy on cap.  So just make solo and assisted caps count the same to prevent this.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,916 battles

Trying to support the team to win should be incentive enough for not hanging in the back. Those who snipe from the spawn will not move closer to the battle if they get a reward for tanking. Even fixed repair costs didn't prevent people from running from the battle.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

right now potential damage taken reward just too little, should bump it greatly to promote more active play,

think about it, any damage coming is damage avoided by team members, it's as important as damage delivered to the enemy team

It didn't work in WoT and will not work in WoWS.

The problem here is that WG can never make tanking damage rewards as much as own damage done. Because other wise ,imagine the bots, first and foremost...

So as long as people knows that, and they do, they are uninformed but not dumb. The tanking reward will basically do nothing but inflate avg income and thus is a detriment to WG (less grind less sells bruh).

Edited by NeutralState

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts
17 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

It didn't work in WoT and will not work in WoWS.

The problem here is that WG can never make tanking damage rewards as much as own damage done. Because other wise ,imagine the bots, first and foremost...

So as long as people knows that, and they do, they are uninformed but not dumb. The tanking reward will basically do nothing but inflate avg income and thus is a detriment to WG (less grind less sells bruh).

bots won't take much potential damage, but take real damage and sink quickly

as about income inflation, you can reduce damage delivered reward to balance, so income still the same

right now it's very unfair for those who push and get focus fired, they get very little reward, that makes everyone stay back and camp, that's bad game for everyone

Edited by Happy668
  • Bad 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,799 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I don't think that many of these ideas to reward "good play" matter a hill of beans to many of the players that we'd be wanting to get to play better.  The "good" players are already going to try to play well because they want to play to win.  And the not-so-good players who are only playing for fun aren't going to change their ways just  because there are some incentives out there.  The play for fun types don't care much about winning.  They care about shooting their guns at enemy ships and that's just about it.  You think that that sort of player gives a flying fig about how much potential damage they "take"?  I don't think they do.

Better yet do they even know what potential damage even is? Let alone everything you mentioned.

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

As someone who generally burns though all his repair parties I appreciate the idea,  but kinda don't think I need to be rewarded all that much just for getting shot.  

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

Trying to support the team to win should be incentive enough for not hanging in the back. Those who snipe from the spawn will not move closer to the battle if they get a reward for tanking. Even fixed repair costs didn't prevent people from running from the battle.

Erebthoron, I felt from the moment they made that change to fixed service costs that it wasn't going to help all that much.  My reason for thinking that was that the mindset, the meta was already fixed into the minds of many players to play a certain way, and it can be gawd awfully difficult to change the minds of those players.

And like I said previously, there are a group of players, the play-for-funners, who don't give a fig about winning and who only play to shoot stuff and/or just have some chuckles, usually at the expense of their teams mates' (i.e. the sort of players who try to get the team to all charge down the middle on Two Brothers because they think it would be funny.) chances of winning.  And I doubt that you can change the mindset of these players even if every win earned five times what wins do today.  They just don't care.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,814 battles

I think there is a good amount of rewards for players in Random's, etc. Players need to become more active and actually get stuck in
during a battle. The rewards will flow. Sniping BB players miss out, on so much potential rewards, and those of other classes that
refuse to participate and or utilise there ship to it's fullest potential . By no means am I a genius, and I managed to work out,that active
participation during a battle  gives you greater rewards.   :Smile_izmena:

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

right now it's very unfair for those who push and get focus fired, they get very little reward, that makes everyone stay back and camp, that's bad game for everyone

I think that you're making a VERY bad assumption above that it's only either push, push, push, or camping/sniping.  I'm definitely not a fan of pushing into the enemy and brawling.  I don't like brawling in this game, for starters because of the nonsense national flavors in BBs that that nerf every nations' secondaries except for Germany.  (And perhaps the French BBs when they're released.  We'll see.)    If all nations had secondaries that reflected the sec guns they carried without nerfing them to kingdom come, more nations' BBs might be willing to brawl.  Look at the USN BBs at high tiers.  They have a crapton of 5" guns.  And while those won't be as potent as larger secondaries on other nations' BBs, if their RoF came a good deal closer to the RoF of the same guns on DD's, they'd be pumping out a TON of 5" shells and be nasty, in their own way.

But the way things stand now, why in holy hell should a non-German BB player with 2 brain cells to rub together charge into secondary range of any German BB at tiers 7 or higher and allow them to shred you with their manual secondaries?

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
4 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

I think there is a good amount of rewards for players in Random's, etc. Players need to become more active and actually get stuck in during a battle. The rewards will flow. Sniping BB players miss out, on so much potential rewards, and those of other classes that refuse to participate and or utilise there ship to it's fullest potential . By no means am I a genius, and I managed to work out , that active participation during a battle  gives you greater rewards.   :Smile_izmena:

Depends on what you mean by "stuck in".  If you mean get into secondary range, not a chance in hell, unless I'm in a German BB.  Going toe to toe in a non-German BB vs a German BB at short range is just plain stupid IMO.  For one thing their secondaries will shred you.  Secondly, their main guns aren't all that accurate, but they have that strong turtleback armor.  So why should I take a non-German BB close enough that their mains get more accurate and increase their chances of getting cits on my BB when I have little chance of getting cits on him.  Again, just plain stupid.  Also, if the German BB I'm fighting is a Tirpitz, Shiney Horse, or Gneisenau, I'm going to keep the range as open as I can to prevent him from closing to torpedo range.  Mind you, if I'm in a BB with the speed to prevent them from closing, I won't mind fighting at somewhat closer range just as long as I can prevent him from closing to 6 km.  But if I'm in one of the slow USN BBs, I'm going to keep the range VERY open, because I'd never be able to keep the range open and I can only rely on time and distance and hope to take that BB down and maybe  get some help doing it, before he can close to torp range.

If I'm fighting a German BB, it's best to hold the range open enough to stay outside secondary range as well as decreasing his main gun accuracy, while you can hold the range open just enough to use your superior accuracy to take him apart.

Mind you, if the roles were reversed and I was in the German BB against a non-German one, of course I'm going to try to close the range on him.

Overall, I'm not a big proponent of brawling in BBs.  It seems to me that it's just not the smart thing to do, unless you're a German BB in the right circumstances.  And it seems to me that the biggest proponents of it only really like it because they like the action and adrenaline rush, not because they think that it's a smart thing to do. So, sorry, I prefer playing smart and playing to win, rather than looking for adrenaline highs.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

To incentivize Player participation and do whatever is needed to win , Maybe Close out the after death Chat and Not allow them to return to port until the battle ends. If there is a penalty for death maybe just maybe Players will Live longer and fight the good fight. I see the responses as This will only encourage back row fighting and hiding. To answer this make a hit per min. requirement once the first shot is fired. Not enough hits per min. effects your Credit and Exp payout. I personally know this won't work for the habitual campers but eventually they would go broke.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,814 battles

You  can still get to 11km or so in a BB and still be much more effective than being at 20 - 25 KM and outside there effective sec;s range.
Of course. Using common sense is the biggest issue here. Seem's it is in short supply these days. So yeap, you hit the proverbial nail on
the head :cap_win: 

Edited by Crusin_Custard

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts

tanking damage is helping the team, just like shooting the enemy, why not equally reward it?

[OPG]
Members
97 posts
11,312 battles

There is tanking damage and than there is mitigating damage.  Mitigating damage is when you are really hard to hit and make people miss salvos.  This is something that can truly give your team the edge.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I would rather an epic medal for doing more than X damage and getting 0 in return, or a 0 kill Hi-Cal or Confederate medal. Had a 1 kill 96k Confederate Atlanta game couple days ago, got no damage done to myself in the paper tiger. 

You want people wasting their DPS, not "tanking" it generally. The ocean is the best damage tanker.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I think aggression should be more rewarded, not tanking. Now, figuring out exactly how to reward that aggression is the tricky part.

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
11 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Even fixed repair costs didn't prevent people from running from the battle.

No, but it did encourage some people to play less passively, especially at high tiers.

I know, because I'm one of them. It's nice not to have my credit balance dictate what or how I play.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts
7 hours ago, LordOFace said:

There is tanking damage and than there is mitigating damage.  Mitigating damage is when you are really hard to hit and make people miss salvos.  This is something that can truly give your team the edge.

i should have said "potential damage" should be more rewarded, that's what i mean "tanking", of course you want to wasd not to get hit

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
15 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Bbs already get a reasonable bonus from potential damage to encourage good play.

Not enough to matter vs doing damage.  Played some games in the Grober last night and one game I tanked over 3.5 mil damage.  I had I think ~100k damage or so.  End result was only ~1700 exp.  There was some DD damage in there too.

I could do that damage in a cruiser and get similar results without tanking the damage.  It really doesn't pay to tank other than drawing fire away from teammates.  Spotting damage is in the same boat.  DD's don't really benefit enough from it to make doing it instead of doing damage be rewarding.

Sign in to follow this