Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jagerban

Smoke and cruisers

7 comments in this topic

[BPL69]
Members
15 posts
3,442 battles

I had a DD lay down a smoke screen, and I was in a Hindenburg. BB was was 12km away, but Iwas detected. No idea by what because no radar or hydro... did they change smoke mechanic (hid in smoke earlier in the day and no one spotted me) or was it a glitch? Nothing was closer than 12 KM 

Edited by jagerban

[CVA16]
Members
4,276 posts
13,295 battles

Just for clarification:

Were you firing at the time?

Was there any chance there was a sneaky DD or even CA closer to you than 12k?

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles

Also, here's something:

If you're detected because you fired your guns in the open, and then you sail into a smoke screen, YOU REMAIN DETECTED.

It's stupid - the "gun bloom" remains in effect, regardless of whether you go into smoke, or hide behind an island.  You have to wait the full 20 seconds no matter what. 

I see it all the time - shoot your guns just before you run behind an island, but because you're going fast enough, you can sail out from the other side of the island and get immediately respotted.

Or worse: shoot your guns, get detected, then hide behind an island and lose LOS to anything. But, another ship get a good angle on you 10 seconds later, and Poof! You're still detected out to your max gun range.

Yet another thing about detection that is badly broken in WoWS.  I'll just add it to the list. 

[CVA16]
Members
4,276 posts
13,295 battles
16 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Also, here's something:

If you're detected because you fired your guns in the open, and then you sail into a smoke screen, YOU REMAIN DETECTED.

It's stupid - the "gun bloom" remains in effect, regardless of whether you go into smoke, or hide behind an island.  You have to wait the full 20 seconds no matter what. 

I see it all the time - shoot your guns just before you run behind an island, but because you're going fast enough, you can sail out from the other side of the island and get immediately respotted.

Or worse: shoot your guns, get detected, then hide behind an island and lose LOS to anything. But, another ship get a good angle on you 10 seconds later, and Poof! You're still detected out to your max gun range.

Yet another thing about detection that is badly broken in WoWS.  I'll just add it to the list. 

Seems easily fixable but then again there is the radar/hydro through islands  problem that has been brought up in hundreds of forum threads, and has never been fixed. Don't hold your breath.

Are you sure about the gun bloom going into smoke? Does it remain the full bloom or drop to the smoke value? Have to test that out. I'm most often in a DD smoking myself in which case I go undetected, but that might be because I am now using the much smaller firing from smoke value and nobody is close enough to see me.

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles
21 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Seems easily fixable but then again there is the radar/hydro through islands  problem that has been brought up in hundreds of forum threads, and has never been fixed. Don't hold your breath.

Are you sure about the gun bloom going into smoke? Does it remain the full bloom or drop to the smoke value? Have to test that out. I'm most often in a DD smoking myself in which case I go undetected, but that might be because I am now using the much smaller firing from smoke value and nobody is close enough to see me.

I'll have to check myself as to whether or not it does the full bloom range or merely the in-smoke firing range.  But you absolutely don't get the full "non-firing" concealment. And, of course, if you go out of the smoke before the gun bloom time expires, you're back at the full max gun range detection.

The only time the gun bloom disappears before the 20 second time is if you're out of max gun range of ANY enemy ship anywhere, regardless of smoke, islands or anything intervening.

I can't count the number of times a friendly DD has smoked me in a BB, only to have that smoke be completely worthless because I fired my guns 3 seconds before.

Edited by EAnybody

[CVA16]
Members
4,276 posts
13,295 battles
1 hour ago, EAnybody said:

I can't count the number of times a friendly DD has smoked me in a BB, only to have that smoke be completely worthless because I fired my guns 3 seconds before.

You still get friendly DDs to smoke you? In a BB??:cap_wander:

I know I stopped smoking BBs after WG changed the rules (welcome change really). It seems like a waste of a smoke if the BB is just going shoot and make it worthless anyway unless the closest enemy is in the next time zone.

Sign in to follow this