You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hatework

I stink at getting torp hits.

29 comments in this topic

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Dunno what you tell you man except I didn't struggle with the task, just played normally and it happened.... then again I happen to play DD regularly.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles

Hmm... I feel like I'm spamming videos today, but here is a video in which I talk about predictive torpedo launching:

While the video focuses heavily on the effects of the predictive indicator, the key is putting the torpedoes where the target will most likely be when the torpedoes reach the line of travel.  Seems easy to say that, but it really requires a good understanding of your prey and typical behaviors of them.  For instance, torpedoing RN cruisers is significantly easier than torpedoing a US or German cruiser.  Why?  Because they have a tendency to smoke up and shoot at targets in the open water (something USN and German cruisers can't do).  The key is waiting for them to smoke up and being in the right place to put torpedoes on them!  US Battleships at the high tier are easy to hit too, relatively.  Basically involves getting on their sides and waiting for your team to distract them enough so that they eat your torps! :)

[PHASE]
Members
5,745 posts
18,673 battles

Use the white indicator and don't use the indicator. Send one group and think to yourself what would you do if you saw them coming and send the second group there.....Or send one group short which will force the ship to speed past them straight into your second group....

Using the white indicator can mess you up more than you know. If its moving one way or the other it indicates a ship possibly speeding up or slowing down or turning....Use the terrain in front of the ship to figure out where he might go.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
243 posts
12,131 battles

On two torp launch boats I send one tight salvo just short of the indicator then one wide spread on the indicator. On three torp launchers almost the same but then I hold one back to see their reaction, 10 second evaluation then send the third salvo in a manner you choose. I also hover around 2K from my detection range and always try to send them when they are broadside to me. 

Best of luck!