You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hatework

I stink at getting torp hits.

29 comments in this topic

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

I thought IJN were suppoed to be torp boats?  Why do i have more Citadel hits than torp hits?!  I just want to finish this damn mission!

n6DmcrG.jpg

LyRioho.jpg

How do you get torpedoes, seriously?  Im terrible at torpedoesing.

Edited by Hatework

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,085 posts
9,013 battles

Hats you need to stagger your torpedoes and use choke points to be a ninja.

[ANKER]
Members
225 posts
5,329 battles

recent torp mission made me realize how crap I am at torp boats... made me sad....

how does one gain consistency? judging by the wtr of the top players, they seem to do well every game.

I have some very good games but also some very bad games. I know some of it is due to experience, as I don't play torp boats usually. But just so annoying to miss almost every torp volley on any1 who have the slightest idea of what they doing.

• Cool 1

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

It involves an intuitive reading of the map to see what the reds are doing.

• At least half or so of the battles I see teams tend to lemming to some extent and you can capitalize on that keeping an eagle eye on your spotted range.
  • Even better if they opt for the classic 'fishball defense' just lob them in the centre at that point.
  • Always be ready to launch at ships outside your torp range if they are heading into it.
  • And finally, your chances to operate like a classic U boat stalking prey increase if you survive into the end-game.
  • Choice of DD for this is obviously critical. Tiny detection range plus max torp range, captain skill to decrease loading time. My weapon of choice is the Shimakaze, but the Minekaze is still a fine boat even after getting her torp range nerfed.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles

The average damage for Kagero, one of the best torp boat in game, is only 29000 per game. IJN DD's torp boat ONLY because it's relative to USN. T9 and T10 USN DDs are better torp boats with better guns even... so LAWL IJN DDs.

Edited by NeutralState

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,365 battles
19 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

It involves an intuitive reading of the map to see what the reds are doing.

• Always be ready to launch at ships outside your torp range if they are heading into it.
  • And finally, your chances to operate like a classic U boat stalking prey increase if you survive into the end-game.
  • Choice of DD for this is obviously critical. Tiny detection range plus max torp range, captain skill to decrease loading time. My weapon of choice is the Shimakaze, but the Minekaze is still a fine boat even after getting her torp range nerfed.

1: I abuse the first bullet mercilessly. Yes; I target doesn’t have to do much to avoid a hit; but ‘dat feeling’ when you get hit at your closing-max range is great. Look up ‘Sinking of USS Wasp’ on Wikipedia for the best irl example of a max range torp attack.

2: I stalk all game anyway, but the last DD alive end game can often make even a battleship run like a scared cat.

3: As much as people hate it, Mutsuki is the DD I’ve performed the most execution with while doing such.

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles

It's easier to land hits on targets when they are forced to bow-in and angle against your friendlies, thus reducing the amount of movement they can perform.

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

i think i averaged 1 torpedo hit every 2 games in DDs.  On the up side, id forgotten i owned a Sim, id also forgotten how fun she is.  Yay new (kinda) boat to spend time playing :cap_rambo:

I do wish they would make these things ship or air launched though.  Even if you quadrouple the number needed for air dropped.  Say like this mission: 25 ship launched OR 100 air dropped.  I also think id have finished it faster lol

Thanks for the tips folks, will try to keep these things in mind next time im crying into my cheerios playing DDs.

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles
1 hour ago, SimiaStoicus said:

recent torp mission made me realize how crap I am at torp boats... made me sad....

how does one gain consistency? judging by the wtr of the top players, they seem to do well every game.

I have some very good games but also some very bad games. I know some of it is due to experience, as I don't play torp boats usually. But just so annoying to miss almost every torp volley on any1 who have the slightest idea of what they doing.

I feel the same way.  I can pewpew with the best of em, but im lucky if i manage to hit the ocean when i launch torps.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Well it is an art I got really good at it playing the Clemson just because I got to shoot torps a lot and had to learn how how to work the range

But the trick is being really aware of the mini map and where the enemies going that you can be in front of them makes torpedoes close the range faster and they even give yourself a kilometer or two if they're moving at you by this I mean if you have 5.5 kilometer torpedoes sometimes you can let loose and 6.5 kilometers if they're coming at you and always try to stay hidden because if they don't know where you are they can expect torpedoes until it's too late

Members
304 posts
4,537 battles
48 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

3: As much as people hate it, Mutsuki is the DD I’ve performed the most execution with while doing such.

My best performing DD has been Mutsuki as well, along with Clemson.

42 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It's easier to land hits on targets when they are forced to bow-in and angle against your friendlies, thus reducing the amount of movement they can perform.

So much this!  Last night in my New Mexico I was dueling with an enemy NY and Fuso, and had to stay bow-on to avoid getting creamed.  The enemy BBs did not (I got 6 cits!), and I sank the NY and nearly got the Fuso, but an enemy Mutsuki kept stealth-torping me.  I never saw him, and I just could not turn away towards the map edge (where a useless "ally" NY was crawling many km behind me) and on his 3rd torp run finally did me in.  Too bad, as I was having a great game besides, 131k damage, high caliber.  We ended up winning, at least in part because as well-played as that Mutsuki sank me, he decided to damage-farm at the map edge to sink our useless NY instead of coming back to defend his cap against our better-played ships, and that cost him the match.

[BLUMR]
Members
217 posts
2,860 battles

Make sure to choose your targets. BBs are many many times easier to torp than CAs or CLs, not only because they are slower, but also because their playstyle is inherently more predictable. 

Watch your target for a few seconds if you can afford them. Torp prediction is also a lot about playing to the opponent as much as the ship or map. If they seem to really like to reverse, throw your torpedoes that way,  if they seem oblivious to being spotted throw your torps closer to the indicator. If they haven't spotted any other friendlies yet throw closer to where you think they might want to go (near an island, on the edge of a cap), or if its just open water, anticipate a hard turn to not be broadside when they are finally shot at by your team and throw your torps closer to their ships current location.

Don't throw at a hydro ship if you can instead throw at a non-hydro ship. Hedge your bets and throw at groups instead of single targets if you can. Throw from the side of a ship instead of its nose if you can.

But most of all don't get frustrated if you can't get torp hits consistantly. People are weird and do silly things like abandon good positions or sail broadside for all your BBs or inadvertently ground themselves and accidentally dodge your torpedoes all the time. Just keep going and if all else fails engineer a situation where they physically can't dodge the torps, like surprise around an island.

[DAKI]
Members
629 posts
6,494 battles

try flanking or being on the flank with many ships....usually your hit rate is better obvious if targets are coming towards you well not directly and or giving you broadside. When I mean towards you I mean dds get strong when targets push toward them in a cap. Also, one big thing to learn is using your own prediction versus the grey line, often ships in certain situations will have predicable patterns, like a cruiser or bb fighting another wont often turn away and will be committed to going bow in if they arent a potato, so torping the direction you know they must go to in order to minimize damage will often get you a ton of hits as well. Also to with torp boats torping an general area and using duel purpose for hitting more than one target works too.  Id suggest pan asian if IJN isnt working out.

If you are torping as well, make sure you arent one of those guys that switches from guns and torps or back since it will give any target with priority target full warning that your salvo of torps are under way.

Edited by awildpervert

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles

Too many people want to get all their torps on the target all at once. You are only going to be able to do this if the player is a complete noob. Even when I don't suspect a DD anywhere near I change my course frequently. What you need to do is to anticipate which way the player will turn in response to detecting your first torpedoes. You will have to assess this for each individual player because all act differently. However, oftentimes they are habitual in their turns. For instance, in a game today the player always slowed and turned to the left. After I figured this out I sent one spread along the assist line and the other spread 20 seconds later and to the left. Sure enough the player slowed and turned... and ran right into my second spread.

Many players will send out a narrow spread along the assist line and then a wide spread along the same line.  I like IJN boats with three launchers. With them i send a narrow spread along the line and two wide spreads on either side of it. Almost always I get at least one hit or if not then the target turns and runs off. It's a great area denial strategy.

If you want to be more sure of hits you have to get close. However, even close I've seen torps miss turning targets. Don't use the assist line in a twisting and turning fight because your opponent won't be their when the torps reach where the assist line said he was going to be. 

This is rough but shows what happens if you use the assist when your target is turning into you versus where you actually need to aim. The assist presumes the target is going to remain on the black arrow, whereas it's actually turning along the red line.

Untitled.jpg.cff1067de1d311a1c717e80fb4433ad2.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles

Just wanted to say that I took my own advice last game and got torpedo hits on 4 ships, sinking three with my Fletcher. I came in second on the team. Unfortunately, I and the guy who came in first were the only ones who did anything on a decidedly sucky team and we lost in a ROFLstomp. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles
14 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I also stink with torps. You are not alone OP. Ive gotten better as I play DDs more, but I cant seem to do the awesome amounts of damage others seem to do with them. Just gotta get better at anticipating enemies movement and leading my target better I suppose. 

Remember that the games with multiple citadels and perfect torp spreads you see on YouTube are usually selected from hundreds of games. Anyone can look good if they only show their best face.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,649 battles

I was concerned about this mission, but then I rediscovered the Cancerkaze R.