You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CFagan1987

Having trouble getting 25 torpedo hits

51 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
337 posts
10,612 battles

Does anyone have any suggestions to how to make this grind a bit more bearable? I am NOT a destroyer player and the few destroyers I do excel at tend to be gunboat destroyers (ie: the Gremyashy). I just can't seem to get the hang of using torpedoes. This mission is becoming a pain in the you know what.

Destroyers over tier 5 that I have: Kamikaze R, Benson, Gremy, Ognevoi, Kiev, T-22, and the Blys. I also have a multitude of cruisers with torpedoes ... but again, you rarely get close enough to use them.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,617 posts
23,951 battles

You have a Kami and cannot get the mission done? :cap_wander:

The Gremlin is also a good torpedo boat. If you have a 10 Point captain for both of them it shouldn't be a problem to do this mission. If you chose CE as the 4th skill ofc.

[OO7]
Members
3,843 posts
9,054 battles
Just now, Erebthoron said:

You have a Kami and cannot get the mission done? :cap_wander:

Yeah I was thinking this. The Kami is so easy to get at least a few torp hits a game.

Alternatively buy back some of the really low tier USN destroyers and just yolo torp stuff.

[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles

I used a Nicolas at tier V and just played hide and seen with iskands and smoke. You get 4 triple racks of Torpedoes so do the math and you can see the odds are rather good at getting some hits in lol.

[ARGSY]
6,617 posts
23,951 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I used a Nicolas at tier V and just played hide and seen with iskands and smoke. You get 4 triple racks of Torpedoes so do the math and you can see the odds are rather good at getting some hits in lol.

Still doesn't beat the 47 seconds reload on the Kami with a 19 Point captain.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
6,617 posts
23,951 battles
Just now, Carniolan said:

Tier V CV.

Two games tops.

Think the mission says ship Torpedos.

[FML]
Members
3,219 posts
13,715 battles

I got mine with a combination of Gallant, Leander and Fiji - the cruisers have good long range torps that you can actually use from smoke, and single fire means you can make them all hit too!

Good luck!

[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
4 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

True but Nicholas does get the chance to hunt tier 4-5 Battleships which tend to be rather sluggish in their movements and thus far easier to get multiple Torpedo hits on.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Kami hands down.

The best advice I can give you is watch Notser, Flamu, iChasegaming, and Flambass on YouTube. 

Look and see how they do it.

Flambass is prolly more DD oriented, but the others have great info as well.

A few even have guides on the subject.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,450 battles

Yeah... with only 83 DD games played, spread out across 15 different DDs, you are going to have no idea how to make torpedoes work. As has been said, Gremyashchy and Kamikaze are really good torpedo boats (as a DD main, I would love to have a Gremy!) but you might be best served using your Izyaslav Gremyashchy, closing to close range, and trying to land torps that way. You have 14 games in the Izyaslav, the most of any of your DDs. And at those ranges it is difficult (not impossible) to miss. The trick is getting close enough to use them.

Sadly, I think you are going to struggle here no matter what advice you receive. I don't believe there is anything we can collectively offer you here that will substitute for experience.

Best of luck, brother!

Respects,

Am

*Edit: because you need a T5+ ship

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
892 posts
9,983 battles

Your best bet is the Kami R.

With CE it has a detection of 5.4 km and 7 km range torps. Add torp reload as a captain perk for 30 second reloads. 

You will see t3 through to t7 ship's and are bound to get the torps you need. Stay concealed and fire torps.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I don't know how, but I got 19 of my 25 with a ship that has about a .5 km torp range, the Okhotnik...I guess it's the firing 4 sets at a time that made the difference. 

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Oh, one bit of advice I can give you on the kami..

Don't use the smaller tight thin spread. Use the other one to shoot them.

Put your right side of the target reticle on the center of the enemy target reticle.

Your next shot, put it on top of the enemies.

The last one, put the left of the target reticle in the center.

What you want to do is make a wall of torps so you can at least get 1 torp hit.

If that doesn't work, tighten up the spread a bit.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
3 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Oh, one bit of advice I can give you on the kami..

Don't use the smaller tight thin spread. Use the other one to shoot them.

Put your right side of the target reticle on the center of the enemy target reticle.

Your next shot, put it on top of the enemies.

The last one, put the left of the target reticle in the center.

What you want to do is make a wall of torps so you can at least get 1 torp hit.

If that doesn't work, tighten up the spread a bit.

Great advice...I've been firing a lot more for expected turn ins (one on or near the gray path and one or two for a turn in depending on ship I'm in) and it's really helped my torp runs. 

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
946 posts
12,484 battles

I have a far better chance of hitting with cruiser or BB torps (with the one exception of Farragut of all things). I think I did the last 10 hits with Graf Spee.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,709 posts
3,895 battles

Wow it's almost like using torpedoes to attack ships isn't the brainless easy mode damage farm that battleship mains like to claim it is.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
183 posts
8,104 battles

I feel for you. those kind of torpedo missions used to make me pull my hair out lol. First thing I can tell you is to not force it. When I tried to force it and just spam game after game, the less hits I got. Play a few, get up grab a drink, bug the wife or kids for awhile then play some more. Find a ship you are comfortable with and play it the way you usually do, and the hits will come. Your Kamikaze R should be great at this. Since you said you are not a DD type player, use your cruisers. I used the Emile Bertin and the Furutaka, their torpedo range are good at 9k and 10k. The Emile is fast and can turn well to lose both sets. Try to survive the match as long as you can, torpedo opportunities get better for you later in the games. I got many torpedo hits for this mission with the Scharnhorst. Or you can use a short range DD (Russian) and use the hide behind the island trick, wait for a big fat dumb BB to come along, hit speed boost and yolo. I know yoloing does not make good team game play, but until WG changes these kind of missions you got to do what you got to do.  Wish you luck on this.

John

Edited by JBR40
spelling

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Wow it's almost like using torpedoes to attack ships isn't the brainless easy mode damage farm that battleship mains like to claim it is.

This person doest have any torpboat orientated destroyers, so obviously hes going to struggle, reading is Op.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,709 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Akeno017 said:

This person doest have any torpboat orientated destroyers, so obviously hes going to struggle, reading is Op.

I actually didn't specify destroyers at all in that post.

[K0]
Members
1,744 posts
7,318 battles
31 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Just noting here that 47 seconds is Kamikaze's base torpedo reload time without any investment. This can be driven down further with TAE and AR.