You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CFagan1987

Having trouble getting 25 torpedo hits

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
337 posts
10,647 battles

Does anyone have any suggestions to how to make this grind a bit more bearable? I am NOT a destroyer player and the few destroyers I do excel at tend to be gunboat destroyers (ie: the Gremyashy). I just can't seem to get the hang of using torpedoes. This mission is becoming a pain in the you know what.

Destroyers over tier 5 that I have: Kamikaze R, Benson, Gremy, Ognevoi, Kiev, T-22, and the Blys. I also have a multitude of cruisers with torpedoes ... but again, you rarely get close enough to use them.

[1RD]
Members
156 posts
13,856 battles

Do any of your DD skippers have the CE perk??  I would focus with the Kamikaze R and Benson. Be sure to understand your detection range for ships and the range of your torps. Try and be stealthy and fire torps where you think the target will be. It took me a few days to get those 25, so I do feel your pain. However, patience and staying hidden should help.

[PVE]
Members
3,974 posts
22,322 battles
1 hour ago, CFagan1987 said:

the few destroyers I do excel at tend to be gunboat destroyers

There's a tendency in gunboat DDs to do what they do best...fire their guns. This is a habit you need to concentrate on not falling into when trying to torp...all too often I see DDs fire their torps right down the line at straight lining BBs from perfect concealment & then start shooting thus causing the BBs to turn as they assume (rightly) that the DD has torped at them. If this sounds familiar you need to learn to either not shoot after torping or send the torps in a predicted GTFO maneuver that the BB (based on terrain) would logically take.

Kamikaze R should be your best bet here for the torp & stay undetected option.

Hope this helps.

[TDG]
Members
1,736 posts
10,066 battles

I looked at the dds I had and focused on the ones with the best gap between range and detection together with shortest reload.

For me, this was Minezake and Kamikaze.  I also added the DDs I do well in which include Akatsuki and Akizuki.  I'm also grinding Kagero, so I put that ship in rotation as well.

As noted above, you need to focus on not firing the guns and finding the right location to launch from and the right ships or choke points to launch at.

While Kamikazi R is your best bet, also give strong consideration to Benson and T-22.  I've had good numbers using the torpedoes on these ships.

I'm currently working on the last citadels needed for the next stage.

[-Z-]
Alpha Tester
88 posts
1,667 battles

Do you need 25 hits? I think its 25 hits OR 1000 main battery hits, not both. At least my bar seems to be moving up with just the MBHs and it doesnt seem like I need torpedo hits at all... If I need both tho that's a shame since I also am not a DD player and dont have ships to try to get them with outside a few cruisers (which is the wrong way to try to do it)

[TDG]
Members
1,736 posts
10,066 battles
1 minute ago, Lunarhawk said:

Do you need 25 hits? I think its 25 hits OR 1000 main battery hits, not both. At least my bar seems to be moving up with just the MBHs and it doesnt seem like I need torpedo hits at all... If I need both tho that's a shame since I also am not a DD player and dont have ships to try to get them with outside a few cruisers (which is the wrong way to try to do it)

You need both.

I ran Akizuki for part of that stage as I could advance both.

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles
2 minutes ago, Lunarhawk said:

Nope. You need both.

[YETI]
Members
129 posts
7,730 battles

I'm not dd guy by any standards, but I was able to complete the 25 torps, buy picking up a T5 IJN minekazi dd and working the T5 battles.

• Cool 1