You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

DD 1 point Cmdr Skill Priority Target vs Preventative Maintenance

41 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,707 battles

It seems people favor Priority Target (the "PT") over Preventative Maintenance (the "PM"). The logic behind it seems good, basically maximizes open water firing time. But PM increases DD's survivability so much and PT basically offers zero utility in a DD vs DD situation, or any situation where the DD's getting shot anyways.

So why choose PT over PM?

[WOLF2]
Members
1,583 posts
10,128 battles

I use priority target on cruisers and BBs.  Never on DDs.   WHY?   Because I'm up close, and if I run into contact, I EXPECT to get focused.   There's no need to look up to see how many are targeting me.  I assume everyone in visual range is targeting.    I find it best to work on evasion and returning to stealth.   I'd rather reduce the chance of incapacitation.

• Funny 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
13 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

It seems people favor Priority Target (the "PT") over Preventative Maintenance (the "PM"). The logic behind it seems good, basically maximizes open water firing time. But PM increases DD's survivability so much and PT basically offers zero utility in a DD vs DD situation, or any situation where the DD's getting shot anyways.

So why choose PT over PM?

I take both on every ship I  have.

[K0]
Members
1,742 posts
7,308 battles

PT is a skill that I can use actively to assess risks to my ship, especially those that I can't see.

PM is a passive skill that only goes into effect when I'm already taking damage.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
15,665 posts
10,504 battles
12 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

PT basically offers zero utility in a DD vs DD situation,

It depends on whether you are primarily taking on other destroyers or getting into situations where your main interactions are with the bigger ships (cruisers and battleships), against which you are scouting and upon which you might from time to time want to deliver nuisance or harassing fire. Remember too that if you are scouting enemy battleships from outside your nominal detection range and all of a sudden six or seven of them are sighting on you, it means that somewhere very close to you there is an enemy destroyer, so far unspotted, that YOU haven't seen yet which is telling THEM where you are. And if you don't pull your finger out and find and kill him, or smoke up to hide, or whatever, what happens to your destroyer in the next thirty seconds will be beyond the ability of Preventive Maintenance to do anything about.

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I had PM on all mine and realized that I lost modules all the time anyway.  My thought was that if I am spotted I should assume I am being targeted and should act accordingly.  But, I switched to PT last week when the reset was free and I'm finding that I lose modules about as often.  PT lets me know when ships are targeting me, but more importantly, it lets me know when they are NOT.  I can make slightly more bold moves than before and can back way back if I see 8 people are aiming at me.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
25,520 posts
6,355 battles
5 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

I assume everyone in visual range is targeting.   

Which is a safe assumption, but think about the flipside.

You have to play a certain way if you think everyone is targetting you, but what can you do differently if you know that nobody is targetting you?

If there's a friendly DD nearby who's also spotted, wouldn't it be handy to know if the enemy were all focussed on him?

If you both assume everyone is targetting you, one of you could be missing an opportunity.

• Cool 2

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles
13 minutes ago, Stampz said:

PT if mini-cruiser, PM if actual DD.

7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It depends on whether you are primarily taking on other destroyers or getting into situations where your main interactions are with the bigger ships (cruisers and battleships), against which you are scouting and upon which you might from time to time want to deliver nuisance or harassing fire. Remember too that if you are scouting enemy battleships from outside your nominal detection range and all of a sudden six or seven of them are sighting on you, it means that somewhere very close to you there is an enemy destroyer, so far unspotted, that YOU haven't seen yet which is telling THEM where you are. And if you don't pull your finger out and find and kill him, or smoke up to hide, or whatever, what happens to your destroyer in the next thirty seconds will be beyond the ability of Preventive Maintenance to do anything about.

I follow this logic.  PT(as first choice) where I spend a lot of time trying to speed tank against bigger ships in open water: so, Soviet main line, Blys, Aigle, Anshan, Leningrad, maybe Fushun and Gadjah Mada if either eventually gets a dedicated captain.  PM on DDs that try not to be shot at by bigger ships: IJN, USN, German, other Pan-Asians, Ognevoi-Grozovoi (Udaloi is a bit out of place here).  

I currently have PM on both the Vampire and on my dedicated Clemson/Smith captain, the latter of whom will eventually get AFT since it is viable with the 102s.  I could rethink PM/PT for those two...but it is tier 3-4, not a big deal and not a priority at present.

[SFBG]
Members
1,663 posts
9,091 battles
20 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I had PM on all mine and realized that I lost modules all the time anyway.  My thought was that if I am spotted I should assume I am being targeted and should act accordingly.  But, I switched to PT last week when the reset was free and I'm finding that I lose modules about as often.  PT lets me know when ships are targeting me, but more importantly, it lets me know when they are NOT.  I can make slightly more bold moves than before and can back way back if I see 8 people are aiming at me.

^^^This is my basic thinking about it as well...  I might add that when stealth running IJN DDs, "detected but not targeted" is useful info. I can usually maintain my attack, and not run just because I'm detected.

Also, taking PT on a BB can give you an instinct to when you are being torped by a DD.

Edited by OtterWolf

[5BS]
Members
8,842 posts

Always PM on every ship (except CV's): PT tells you something that you should always assume *anyway*: Everyone is aiming at me. If you aren't drawing attention, and assuming someone is lining up a shot, you are not pulling your weight. PT and the Long Range Fire indicator are pretty worthless. PM is useful for all ships as if it even prevents *1* case of a gun or torp tube being knocked out, and missing a reload, it's worth it, while nothing in PT's information shouldn't be assumed at all times ANYWAY.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,543 posts
6,772 battles

Personally, I use PT if all I have is one point to spend, due to the information it gives. However, the one exception is that PM is my first choice on my high-tier DDs that use Torpedo Reload modules to help offset the increased chance of torpedo tubes being disabled.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
952 posts
12,610 battles

Both options have merit, but if I could only choose one, I would go with PM.  I ALWAYS assume I'm being targeted anyway, so PT doesn't suit me. :Smile_playing:

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Being newer, I find it more valuable to me to have PT. When the numbers drop out and I'm just "detected", I can perform less WASD hacks and adjust what I'm doing in game as far as map position or capping or whathaveyou. Yes, I still fire my guns and launch torps when I'm focused by multiple ships, but I'm concentrating more on evasive maneuvers at that point. 

[WK]
952 posts
12,610 battles
21 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Being newer, I find it more valuable to me to have PT. When the numbers drop out and I'm just "detected", I can perform less WASD hacks and adjust what I'm doing in game as far as map position or capping or whathaveyou. Yes, I still fire my guns and launch torps when I'm focused by multiple ships, but I'm concentrating more on evasive maneuvers at that point. 

This doesn't not mean you don't have a wall of torpedoes heading your way.  I do not need target someone when doing a torpedo drop, so you won't see that little number pop up.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, Volron said:

This doesn't not mean you don't have a wall of torpedoes heading your way.  I do not need target someone when doing a torpedo drop, so you won't see that little number pop up.

True...maybe it's a comfort thing since I'm so new. I just feel more confident seeing the numbers. I know we are talking DDs right now, but I have not quite learned to back off of my aggressiveness in this game yet (mostly cruisers anyway). I just like to know when I'm "targeted". 

[SBS]
Members
5,055 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

Always PM on every ship (except CV's): PT tells you something that you should always assume *anyway*: Everyone is aiming at me. If you aren't drawing attention, and assuming someone is lining up a shot, you are not pulling your weight. PT and the Long Range Fire indicator are pretty worthless. PM is useful for all ships as if it even prevents *1* case of a gun or torp tube being knocked out, and missing a reload, it's worth it, while nothing in PT's information shouldn't be assumed at all times ANYWAY.

I have PM on all my DDs, and have forgone PT.  Like you I always assume everyone is aiming at me.  At one point when respec was free I even tried switching to PT and found I was preoccupied with the number on the screen.  That caused my to play more conservatively.  I decided to switch back pretty quickly.

Now, I'm pretty sure I bailed out on PT too quickly.  It was sort of like conformation bias.  I thought, "see, I knew everyone was aiming at!"  The reality is I didn't take the time to learn how to make the most out of the information PT gives me in my DDs.  When not using PT I was just going by "feel" when things were getting too hot, and/or assuming everyone was aiming at me.  The problem with that is twofold.  First, by the time you start feeling the heat it could be too late to bail.  The second, is you are operating on information that will be incorrect most of the time by assuming everyone is aiming at you.

Now, I'm not trying to make a case for PT over PM.  Unfortunately, its not so easy to compare the two for your particular play style.  They are apples and oranges.  There is a learning curve to get the most out of the information PT is giving you at any given time in the game.  The upside is information is the key to making the right decision.  With PM there is no learning curve but it is only working for you when you are taking damage.  Making it worse, is that we don't really know how well it works, or how often it is saving our butts.  

Has anyone thoroughly tested PM?  It would nice to see the results a ship with PM, and one without in testing.           

[WK]
952 posts
12,610 battles
1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

True...maybe it's a comfort thing since I'm so new. I just feel more confident seeing the numbers. I know we are talking DDs right now, but I have not quite learned to back off of my aggressiveness in this game yet (mostly cruisers anyway). I just like to know when I'm "targeted". 

No worries.  PT does have it's merits, no doubt.  But it can be misleading as well.  Simple thing is, go with what you like more.  Some folks here, who have a lot more battles than me, still roll with PT.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, Volron said:

No worries.  PT does have it's merits, no doubt.  But it can be misleading as well.  Simple thing is, go with what you like more.  Some folks here, who have a lot more battles than me, still roll with PT.

I'm thinking I'll migrate over to PM as I get more experience and hopefully get better. I almost feel like it's a needed crutch right now. You guys are right though, I'm not using it when I'm trying to cap or fight cap because I'm popping smoke in most of those situations. I am depending on it in open waters mid to late game in my DDs though. Thank you for some discourse on it. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,709 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

I had PM on all mine and realized that I lost modules all the time anyway. 

This is why I take Priority Target. PM is basically worthless.

[WK]
952 posts
12,610 battles
23 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I'm thinking I'll migrate over to PM as I get more experience and hopefully get better. I almost feel like it's a needed crutch right now. You guys are right though, I'm not using it when I'm trying to cap or fight cap because I'm popping smoke in most of those situations. I am depending on it in open waters mid to late game in my DDs though. Thank you for some discourse on it. 

:Smile_great:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,497 posts
18,037 battles
1 hour ago, DiddleDum said:

Because I'm up close, and if I run into contact, I EXPECT to get focused. 

DDs always get focused first.