You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Elisabeth

Help Save the L&A #503

12 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
5,152 posts
5,414 battles

I know this may seem a little random, but just based on my casual discussions with other warship fans, there seems to be a lot of crossover between people who love ships, and people who like other big, heavy, loud machines. 

Hurricane Harvey (of last year's fame) severely damaged historic Louisiana & Arkansas 4-6-0 steam locomotive #503, which has for decades been on display in the city of Port Arthur, Texas. After some debate, the municipality decided to scrap the engine rather than lay out the dough to repair it. After a last-minute negotiation with a couple of guys from the area, the demolition company agreed that if the money could be found, they would sell off the rights to the engine and allow it to be relocated.

Obviously, outside one new-built steam locomotive in Britain, we aren't getting any more of these things - each one is unique, and, with time, attrition will claim them one by one. This is a chance for us to make an effort and keep #503 away from the scrapper's torch. Anyone interested?

https://www.gofundme.com/help-save-the-la-503-friends-of/

• Cool 3

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,949 battles

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think Britain would likely produce any more steam engines, which is all the more reason to save this piece of an era of engineering.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,152 posts
5,414 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think Britain would likely produce any more steam engines, which is all the more reason to save this piece of an era of engineering.

They did, but it took like 2 decades. There's also an effort to new-build one here, too. 

However, I don't expect it to become a trend.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,943 posts

The pricing sounds a little hokey...   One source puts it as COSTING $20,000 to have it scrapped (cost to tax payers).

I'm going to withhold judgement, but take a close look at this before jumping in.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMG5DV_LA_4_4_0_No_503_Bryan_Park_Port_Arthur_TX

Seems today is the last day...   Feb 21st

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/02/19-emergency-fund-to-save-steam-locomotive-tops-20000-potential-home-emerges

keep digging.....   Oooooo..  Ouch !!  Toxic Waste Disposal....

http://www.panews.com/2018/02/20/somebody-is-going-to-have-to-clean-this-up/

Edited by AVR_Project

[KNMSU]
Members
5,152 posts
5,414 battles
27 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

The pricing sounds a little hokey...   One source puts it as COSTING $20,000 to have it scrapped (cost to tax payers).

I'm going to withhold judgement, but take a close look at this before jumping in.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMG5DV_LA_4_4_0_No_503_Bryan_Park_Port_Arthur_TX

Seems today is the last day...   Feb 21st

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/02/19-emergency-fund-to-save-steam-locomotive-tops-20000-potential-home-emerges

keep digging.....   Oooooo..  Ouch !!  Toxic Waste Disposal....

http://www.panews.com/2018/02/20/somebody-is-going-to-have-to-clean-this-up/

That's the city's responsibility, not the locomotive rescue group's. They're paying for the scrap and transport costs of the engine, not assuming responsibility for some minor environmental disaster. The local newspapers can whine all they like, but restoration of the grounds is a municipal matter.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,943 posts
10 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

That's the city's responsibility, not the locomotive rescue group's. They're paying for the scrap and transport costs of the engine, not assuming responsibility for some minor environmental disaster. The local newspapers can whine all they like, but restoration of the grounds is a municipal matter.

Since the whole situation was handled UNDER THE TABLE, it is subject to lawsuits by local organizations in the future.

I have the distinct notion that the city will have the engine demolished overnight by city crews.  They want it to go away so they can sell off the park land, but locals might want it back once they recover from this storm.

The local residents are not completely in the information loop about what's going on.  The cost has gone up above the $21K limit, and now there must be a public hearing on the matter.  The longer it stays there, the higher the publicity, and outrage -- some of which I see in the post comments.  That $65K might all be wasted on legal fees.

Edited by AVR_Project

[KNMSU]
Members
5,152 posts
5,414 battles
16 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Since the whole situation was handled UNDER THE TABLE, it is subject to lawsuits by local organizations in the future.

I have the distinct notion that the city will have the engine demolished overnight by city crews.  They want it to go away so they can sell off the park land, but locals might want it back once they recover from this storm.

The local residents are not completely in the information loop about what's going on.  The cost has gone up above the $21K limit, and now there must be a public hearing on the matter.  The longer it stays there, the higher the publicity, and outrage -- some of which I see in the post comments.  That $65K might all be wasted on legal fees.

Extending this line of thinking, the alternative is to never do anything, ever, and simply reconcile oneself to losses. I do not accept such a nihilistic worldview. If they can get the locomotive off site, that's what counts - the details in the thereafter can be ironed out.

You are, of course, more than welcome not to be charitable. However, when presented with alternatives of action and inaction, I will always choose to fight back.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,943 posts

I donated several hundred to the restoration of this locomotive.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/fansofprr1361/photos/?ref=page_internal

Some of my fellow Model Railroader Club members are in the pictures, helping with the restoration.

The cost to restore and house 1361 is ...  entertaining...  A lot of money has been spent here, and the hand is still reaching out for more.

From what  I see of 503 - and the local politics going on down there, [I will withhold judgement] ...

All I say is...   LOOK..  LOOK.. LOOK..   We need to see a Tax Deductible NP charter before tossing money into this Trust Fund.  They even say that if they don't get it, it will either be refunded OR given to someone else.   (Doesn't say whose choice in the matter).

The biggest worry is the deadline...   GOTTA BE NOW OR NEVER...     -- Red Flags..  Red Flags...

Edited by AVR_Project

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Just now seeing this thread. Glad to hear that they reached their goal (went a bit above it as well) on the GoFundMe page. 

[T-D-M]
Beta Testers
45 posts
3,117 battles

Hate to dredge up this old thread, but she isn't quite safe, after all.

Wonder what the people who want to keep it there because of it's "Historic ties" with the city will do when they find out the loco never even went close to Port Arthur when she was in service.

Also, as a rebuttal to what someone said above about the UK not getting any more new steamers besides Tornado, you are dead wrong. The A1 trust that built Tornado is currently building an LNER P2 2-8-2 "Co.ck O' The North", and she is pretty far along. There are plenty more, as well. In fact, one, LMS Patriot Class 5551 is scheduled for completion later this year.

Also, the T1 Trust has a good chance of succeeding, as they are sharing info with several new build steam groups in the UK, especially in regards to the extremely rare valve gear. She uses  Franklin Rotary cam valve gear, only one locomotive with rotary valve gear survives and there is a new build steamer in the UK that uses a similar type of valve gear. They are sharing drawings, blueprints. the blueprints in the US have been lost to time, but the UK group has similar blueprints, but no physical templates. the T1 trust has access to USA 611, the only surviving loco with Franklin Rotary gear, albeit a slightly different type.

5550 is about 28% complete. They have two sets of driving wheels, a tender (the last PRR "Long Haul" tender in existence. Coal capacity of 31 tons, and a capacity of 18000 gallons of water), a mechanical stoker, the cab, the nose, parts of the boiler (the first and second round sections before the boiler starts to narrow with the streamlining) as well as the rear tube sheet. (the front wall of the firebox, where the boiler tubes that carry the hot gasses and heat through the boiler are fixed), and several small miscellaneous, but vital parts.

Edited by Sergeant_0ddball

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
On 3/23/2018 at 6:18 AM, Sergeant_0ddball said:

Hate to dredge up this old thread, but she isn't quite safe, after all.

Wonder what the people who want to keep it there because of it's "Historic ties" with the city will do when they find out the loco never even went close to Port Arthur when she was in service.

Also, as a rebuttal to what someone said above about the UK not getting any more new steamers besides Tornado, you are dead wrong. The A1 trust that built Tornado is currently building an LNER P2 2-8-2 "Co.ck O' The North", and she is pretty far along. There are plenty more, as well. In fact, one, LMS Patriot Class 5551 is scheduled for completion later this year.

Also, the T1 Trust has a good chance of succeeding, as they are sharing info with several new build steam groups in the UK, especially in regards to the extremely rare valve gear. She uses  Franklin Rotary cam valve gear, only one locomotive with rotary valve gear survives and there is a new build steamer in the UK that uses a similar type of valve gear. They are sharing drawings, blueprints. the blueprints in the US have been lost to time, but the UK group has similar blueprints, but no physical templates. the T1 trust has access to USA 611, the only surviving loco with Franklin Rotary gear, albeit a slightly different type.

5550 is about 28% complete. They have two sets of driving wheels, a tender (the last PRR "Long Haul" tender in existence. Coal capacity of 31 tons, and a capacity of 18000 gallons of water), a mechanical stoker, the cab, the nose, parts of the boiler (the first and second round sections before the boiler starts to narrow with the streamlining) as well as the rear tube sheet. (the front wall of the firebox, where the boiler tubes that carry the hot gasses and heat through the boiler are fixed), and several small miscellaneous, but vital parts.

Well that's a bit sad. I wonder how they are going to use the funds that were raised to help restore the 503. It would be a shame if they're not able to save it and restore it. If they aren't able to do so, at best, it should be given to someone who could maintain it and restore it back to it's former glory.

[T-D-M]
Beta Testers
45 posts
3,117 battles

What I hate is the fact that NO ONE cared about this locomotive until it was announced that after she was saved, she would be moved out of town. Then everyone got into an uproar over her leaving town. If they really cared, why did they let it sit and basically rot for the last few decades?