You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I actually quite like the Akatsuki

34 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles

I kept hearing how this ship is awful, the worst in the line, etc, but after getting it upgraded and playing several games I actually quite like the Akatsuki. It could just be a fluke/seeing it through rose tinted glasses, but I’ve done very well with her in the games I’ve played so far. The torps hit very hard and are reasonably fast, and so far I’ve been able to land them pretty consistently (again this could just be luck/great MM giving me terrible enemies), and they are the fantastic 3x3 layout, which gives tons of flexibility and allows for fast reloading. The guns while by no means good aren’t terrible either, and you have 6 of them with high shell velocity, perfect for finishing off wounded enemy ships. The big downside of the 6.4 concealment isn’t as bad as you may think, as it’s still quite workable and is far better than some of the other T7 DDs (Maass, Mahan, etc.). Overall I like this ship a lot more than the fubuki, and great MM at tier 7 helps a lot. I hope the Kagero is good as well. In several cases I’ve  liked ships other people can’t stand (I loved the Pensacola for example), this may be another ship like that for me. I hope this isn’t just luck and i can consistently do well in it as I keep playing it. I want to play IJN DDs more and do well in them despite all the nerfs, hopefully the Akatsuki is actually a really good ship.

• Cool 2

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,103 posts
5,920 battles

Anyone who said Akat was the worst has never played Hatsuharu.

And for a player of your skill level, playing to the strengths of the ship and mitigating its weaknesses does tend to shed new light.

IJN DDs where nerfed because they where OP, and are now largely balanced. Despite cries to the contrary.

• Cool 2

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts

I guess you should stop right there. There is absolutely no reason to play IJN DDs at tier 8-10 and pray to god that you get some torp hits while burdened with severe repair cost.

You can't cap so less xp playing those crapboats.

[MARE]
Members
381 posts
11,242 battles

I absolutely am loving my akatsuki too! Good speed, good concealment, good torps and the guns on there aren't completely useless, I'm actually having a lot of success with those guns. I would actually recommend Akatsuki. All tier 7 DD's suffer from the worst concealment in the game but overall Akatsuki deals with it much better than most.

Edited by The_Grand_One

[INTEL]
Members
11,523 posts
32,214 battles
16 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

I guess you should stop right there. There is absolutely no reason to play IJN DDs at tier 8-10 and pray to god that you get some torp hits while burdened with severe repair cost.

You can't cap so less xp playing those crapboats.

Seriously? I cap and torp in Yug all the time. Last time grabbed center cap on Epicenter with fellow DDs and laid down 125K in damage. That boat is awesome, I've Krakened in it more than once. Did same in Kag but had long string of bad luck with teams, so I put that boat down.

I also cap in Akat. You can cap in almost any DD expect maybe Khab. Akat is a solid boat with excellent torps and good guns, decent in a knife fight. When it had invisifire, you have a good window for invisifiring and I piled up lots of damage that way.

I suck in Shima, dunno why. Wish I knew.

Edited by Taichunger

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Seriously? I cap and torp in Yug all the time. Last time grabbed center cap on Epicenter with fellow DDs and laid down 125K in damage. That boat is awesome, I've Krakened in it more than once. Did same in Kag but had long string of bad luck with teams, so I put that boat down.

I also cap in Akat. You can cap in almost any DD expect maybe Khab. Akat is a solid boat with excellent torps and good guns, decent in a knife fight. When it had invisifire, you have a good window for invisifiring and I piled up lots of damage that way.

How’s the Kagero? That 5.4km concealment is crazy but I’m worried about tier 8 MM screwing me over. I do wish IJN DDs could get some small torp concealment buffs but I hope it’s not as crippling at high tiers as some people say

[INTEL]
Members
11,523 posts
32,214 battles
15 hours ago, bubbleboy264 said:

How’s the Kagero? That 5.4km concealment is crazy but I’m worried about tier 8 MM screwing me over. I do wish IJN DDs could get some small torp concealment buffs but I hope it’s not as crippling at high tiers as some people say

I did ok, but couldn't carry in it the way I can in Yug. Kag just doesn't have the guns or speed, I think. But I probably was playing it wrong. 

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I had the kagero, tried both smoke and torp booster, but I had to focus more on saving my [edited]from getting detected by other DDs than doing anything else.

Players at this tier know torps are coming so they just change course and then I wait 2 more minutes to get a reload. Same crapagain and again. No fun getting back to port with 0 damage, negative credits. Never went up, sold it. Not my cup of tea.

I focused on US DD and got gearing, put in premium camo. Even with 71 kts torps, some games I don't get any torp hit but at least I do 20k to 30k damage from fire alone and some kills. You can knife fight other DDs too.

Members
1,114 posts
6,011 battles
2 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I've played 5 games in it and finished first in 4 of them despite being bottom tier 3 of 5 games. It's plenty good.

Members
5,846 posts
6,737 battles

Only thing Akatsuki is really in need of is a concealment buff. 6.4km max concealment on an IJN DD is just really bad. She and Fubuki break the consistency of the IJN DD line's stealthiness by having such a large detection range(in comparison to all the other IJN DDs and even other DD lines). I honestly think too many gunboats can out spot her, which is a serious problem, Akatsuki's still an IJN DD after all, and despiter her gun platform not being terrible, she needs that extra early warning by being able to out spot gunboat threats at her tier and below, which she currently can't really do. The large detection range also means that trying to cap early game in her is pretty much a death sentence, at least if you're not highly skilled. Even then, it's likely best to leave the capping to other DDs that can actually fight effectively in cap/CQB.

Mind you, this doesn't mean that Akatsuki is a bad boat. She's one of the gems in the main line right along side Yuugumo, in my opinion. I love my Akatsuki to death, if my battle count in her is anything to go by. But I firmly believe that a detection range buff bringing her detection down to 6.1km or so would go a long way in making her more comfortable to play overall and in a traditional IJN DD roll.

• Cool 1

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,103 posts
5,920 battles
19 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Tier 10 matches are preferable to tier 8 matches with the Kagero, in my opinion.

I was the top damage dealer in it for a streak of 60 battles across all servers. It's guns have surprising alpha, and with AR and some hip gyrations you can often outgun Bensons. (but don't go looking, this is not a gunslinger.) Its torpedoes are a strong balance of speed, range, massive damage, and concealment. You have the option of giving up smoke for the reload booster which allows for deadly walls. It has no AA, don't even try. But its best in spread concealment can let you sneak away from planes surprisingly often. The fly in the ointment is Kag's speed (or rather, lack of) be very aware and your concealment will compensate. DDs love to chase you, lead them to your team, watch them smoke up, nuke the smoke.

It is not an easy or forgiving ship, but it rewards thoughtful and predictive play. If you rely on the lead indicator you're going to have a bad time.

Edited by X15

Modder, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

I love this Can.  The speed and the torpedo arrangement are fantastic.  The tier VII MM is great.  Yeah the concealment forces you to be more circumspect early game but once the map opens up she is brutally effective at flexing and assassinating targets.

I really enjoy Kagero, loved her in CBT as a tier IX and her current form is still potent when played right.  Her MM and and comparative stats are less forgiving than Akatsuki but that makes kicking [edited] with her more rewarding.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
475 posts
4,624 battles

I don't know who ever said Akatsuki was the worst IJN DD of the branch, in fact it's one of the best. I had great fun playing it, as inconsistent as IJN DDs tend to be with those moon-spotted torpedoes.

[-BRS-]
Members
491 posts
10,843 battles

Akat is a great bote, as are Kagero and Yugumo.  Only things, as mentioned, which would help is a bit less detect for Akat, and a bit more speed for Kagero and Yugumo.  IJN DDs don’t play like other countries’ DDs.  You have to start hidden, have good minimap sense, and look for topping opportunities.  Coupled with TRB, Kag and Yug can become beasts. 253k in a Yug battle a couple of days ago.  Yeah, it was awesome.

Edited by TheCompGuy25

[O_O]
Members
5,806 posts
13,429 battles
2 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

I guess you should stop right there. There is absolutely no reason to play IJN DDs at tier 8-10...

Akizuki is T8 and is amazing.  So, you lost me.

[SYN]
Members
15,468 posts
12,778 battles

If only Akatsuki was a T8 or T9.

Imagine the torp spam it could do with the T9 torpedo module

or going down to a useful level of concealment.

[AR]
Members
361 posts
15,599 battles

The trick to Akatsuki, is to have torp reload expert + Andrenaline rush. At low hp, it's torps will reload at around 58 secs or so. It shugs out more torps then Shirats and you have 3 sets to deploy from. Those that say that Akatsuki has "bad concealment" and I have seen this many times, don't know what they are talking about. At T7 Akatsuki has better max concealment then Minks/Leningrad/Maass/Sims/Mahan/Blyskawica. Only Shiratsuyu at that Tier has better concealment.

Unlike Akatsuki, it is critical for Shira to have upgrade Engine boost mod 1 + Sierra Mike flag, else it cannot run away from any other T7 dd and even some cruisers.

• Cool 1

[K0]
Members
1,744 posts
7,346 battles

This thread was made for me to post in. She's my favorite destroyer out of all the ones I've played (still need to see how godlike Fletcher is), and I'm so comfortable with her that I run a build that looks completely out of place on an IJN DD. I'm not quite there actually, I don't have BFT yet.

IMO the only thing she (and most other T7 DDs) could use is a reduction in minimum detection range of 0.2 or 0.3 km. Being outspotted by a kilometer or more by both T5 and T8-9 DDs is a terrible experience.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
4 hours ago, X15 said:

Anyone who said Akat was the worst has never played Hatsuharu.

And for a player of your skill level, playing to the strengths of the ship and mitigating its weaknesses does tend to shed new light.

IJN DDs where nerfed because they where OP, and are now largely balanced. Despite cries to the contrary.

Yeah, seriously this. I loved the Akatsuki. I think after 64 games I finished around a 1550 WTR in the boat? *checks warships* Okay, 1520 WTR. Overall, a very enjoyable experience with her. She's one of the few IJN DD's I would abuse smoke and guns with like a US DD and bait enemy DD's after me since she can if used right wiggle and do some good damage against US DD's at 8km range and win if you know how to work it. Overall, a really fun boat. I have more damage per game and higher W/R with Shiratsuyu, but I honestly felt more secure in a gun fight with Akatsuki even with the trade off in gun stats.

As for Kagero to Bubbleboy, I'm sitting like 22 games in using the same tactics with Aka with like a 1638 WTR in it, so that added concealment really helps it.

3 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

Yea, thumbs me down you sneaky torpedo boat troll.

No, the only reason anyone gave you a thumbs down is that you're not a good IJN Boat commander and those of us that are are far better at giving advice about them. You were mostly a red to yellow player in IJN DD's with 1 exception being the Akatsuki which you were a light blue overall in showing how much better the ship was compared to your player skill. Also based off your performance in other DD's, I would safely assume she was your first DD line meaning it was your learning line to DD play hence why you did overall better in the US DD line later as you had already learned how to not play your DD's. Saying US DD's are superior isn't entirely true. Both play differently and knowing how to use them both is difficult.

Members
5,846 posts
6,737 battles
On 2/21/2018 at 1:46 AM, Aiser50 said:

The trick to Akatsuki, is to have torp reload expert + Andrenaline rush. At low hp, it's torps will reload at around 58 secs or so. It shugs out more torps then Shirats and you have 3 sets to deploy from. Those that say that Akatsuki has "bad concealment" and I have seen this many times, don't know what they are talking about. At T7 Akatsuki has better max concealment then Minks/Leningrad/Maass/Sims/Mahan/Blyskawica. Only Shiratsuyu at that Tier has better concealment.

Unlike Akatsuki, it is critical for Shira to have upgrade Engine boost mod 1 + Sierra Mike flag, else it cannot run away from any other T7 dd and even some cruisers.

You're only looking at same tier DDs. You can't do that and say her concealment is 'good'.

Akatsuki is outspotted by at least 75% of the DDs in her MM spread. Even discounting T8 and T9 DDs, as they'll definitely be stealthier than her due to their access to the concealment module. Outside of most of the T7 DDs, Gaede and Farragut, (Gnevny is stealthier than Akatsuki for pete's sake), and probably one or two of the Pan-Asian DDs(don't know as I haven't calculated their max concealment values yet, I know for certain that the Gadjah Mada is stealthier than Akatsuki) (scratch that, just looked. Pan-Asian DDs from T5-T9 are all stealthier than Akatsuki), Akatsuki is outspotted by everything else, gunboats included. T5 and T6 gunboats are just as much a threat to Akatsuki as T7+ gunboats. One simply cannot ignore the fact that Akatsuki sports an IJN DD gun platform, and can't go toe to toe(assuming relatively equal skill level) with anything other than another IJN DD and expect to come out on top.

Akatsuki is a good DD, but has bad concealment, for an IJN DD.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:23 AM, Flashtirade said:

This thread was made for me to post in. She's my favorite destroyer out of all the ones I've played (still need to see how godlike Fletcher is), and I'm so comfortable with her that I run a build that looks completely out of place on an IJN DD. I'm not quite there actually, I don't have BFT yet.

IMO the only thing she (and most other T7 DDs) could use is a reduction in minimum detection range of 0.2 or 0.3 km. Being outspotted by a kilometer or more by both T5 and T8-9 DDs is a terrible experience.

That's actually really close to the build I use in my Akatsuki. The only differences are I take TAE and PM in exchange for RPF.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
1,050 posts
4,789 battles
On 2/20/2018 at 7:35 PM, bubbleboy264 said:

At high tiers that concealment is only good if your team actually shoots at dds that you spot, otherwise, enemy dd driver will know exactly who is spotting him and will charge your predicted location. Kagero is not outrunning or outgunning anything at T8+... has worse torpedoes than yugumo and longer reload for some reason, though they are a little more stealthy.

Akatsuki is nice if you are top tier, otherwise she is outgunned by any T8+ dd that is not kagero and outspotted by all non VMF dds.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I hate all DD's but that's because I can't do well in them I suck in them. 

Maybe if I could play them without hurting the team,I might get better.