Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

torpedo Bait

9 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
160 posts

Need any suggestions on trying to survive this game.  I have been playing relatively moderate to fair until late with my tier 10 GK but for the past 5 days i can't even get the game started before i'm someones torpedo target drone.  I can't hit DD's unless i'm lucky as they are too small and my guns take to long to shoot and if theirs a carrier its lights out even with my GK's secondary built around AA fire i'll still have a wall of torp's on me in seconds with minimal loss of the CV's planes

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

For DDs, go out of your way to throw your ship around. Turn in and our hard, change speeds, abuse islands. Make your course indicator worthless to the DD.

As for CV, div with an AA boat or follow one around.

• Cool 1

Members
975 posts
1,871 battles

do just as X15 said throw your ship around as for CVs if you don't have friends to division up with take the catapult fighter and pop it when you think a CV is going for you and if you see a DD at 10 ish kilometers pop your hydro as it is the KM hydro and is the best in the game

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles

If it's the Konig, their model's a bit off.  It had 1.5 CM more armor on its torpedo bulge than is in game (yes, I've been nuked many times in it by torps, lol!).  GC has a huge advantage now after its buff...and being a premium, maybe it should have that.  I've put some more effort in secondaries/AA due to this with my captain skills and it is helping a bit....but it still frustrates me to see ships with less armor in their torpedo protection historically having much better torpedo protection.  :Smile-angry:

I try to find a close friendly AA boat like Texas or Cleveland and hope the Torp bombers don't eat me.  And...if there's a smoke cloud, I'm not afraid to lob HE into a cloud when I'm running Anslain's mod with last known position in order to try to keep the dd's moving as I try to extend.  Anslain's WoWS Mod Pack 

~War~

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I'm a bit weird for my BBs... I run PM2 over SGM2 for some of them. 

But having +50% Acceleration does help when tossing the throttle back and forth and messing with the Torpedo aim indicators. 

---

Err... just reread that your issue is with CVs. Ummm... depending on what I think their approach vector is I'll either turn away or turn towards. But Never, EVER in a BB give "Full Rudder" doing so will "lock" your ship in a turn and become extremely predictable against a highly maneuverable strike wing. 

[70]
Members
1,070 posts
5,204 battles

I for on would recommend not playing Tier 10s unless in clan wars, except for those with actual stock grinds.

The reason is simple: I don't want to be a master of the art of baiting torpedoes, or, in abbreviated form, a master baiter.:cap_haloween:

If I get infracted for sheer terribadness of pun, well, you baited me first.

Members
330 posts
4,994 battles

1. The accuracy mods and accuracy captain skills help a lot.

2. The German tier 10 GK is a medium range brawler.  Not a log range sniper.  You have to push in a bit harder than most BB driver do.  (Around 9km). STAY BEHIND friendly DD's and Cruisers.  They will spot enemy DD's for you.  I've annihilated enemy DD's with my main guns using the accuracy mod.  This the only BB I even consider shooting enemy DD's with.  The other BB's main guns just don't have the accuracy to reliably hit a teeny tiny DD.

3. Stay away from islands... 4KM minimum.  Expect enemy torpedo's to be heading your way if ANY enemy ship has them to send.

4. Load AP.  Anyone dumb enough to get to within secondary range WILL be set on fire by your secondaries.  They only shoot HE.  Besides, HE damage is around 3500, while AP is around 11000. (+/-)

5. Have a beer before playing this ship. Or maybe meditate.  Anything to relax you.

Edited by guinness77

[WOLF3]
Members
18,757 posts
17,087 battles

As with any BB, you have to be super paranoid of DD spotting reports and consider how old those reports are.  Then think of what the DD will do to have a good torpedo launch position to make your team have a bad time.

Against CVs, your Secondary Spec AA is sufficient, but not great, against Tier VIII CVs.  You'll inflict losses to a point where the hits you take aren't as bad.  The real danger is against Tier IX-X CVs.  The planes are tougher, faster, and will penetrate GK's mediocre AA easily to land lots of hits and damage.  A significant danger to German BBs are the USN CVs with AP bombs.  Not just for the AP bomb effects on your ship, but because they come at you differently  than traditional CVs with HE bombs.

You see, consider an AP or HE bomb slinging Midway.

- If an HE bomb Midway, they may come at you with staggered attacks.  Like TBs first to land hits, floods, which forces Damage Control Party (DCP) use.  The CV then waits out the DCP active timer, then times his HE DBs to arrive when the timer wears off.  The DBs land hits, fires, you're eating lots of damage.  This is very deadly.

- But an AP bomb Midway?  This is different.  They do not play the DOT Stack CV tactic as their AP bombs don't compliment the style.  What they often will do is simply rely on the Mass Bomber Strike.  Send the TBs and DBs at the same time, not staggered like HE DB+TB CVs do.  This is dangerous to poor or mediocre AA ships because:

1.  People almost always focus fire on the TBs first with their AA.  "Torpeduz are bad" is why.

2.  This leaves the dangerous AP DBs  free to come in clean and land lots of hits.

You have to play very conservatively around CVs, esp. the IX-X ones.  One of the worst things you can do is sail isolated from other teammates as a BB in a CV match.  This highlights you in the eyes of every CV and they will go after you.  Even a Montana can be hurt badly if she's alone and a Hakuryu, Taiho, Midway decide to pay a visit.  I'm not saying to sail and have a DM at your hip at all times, but you can sail and be positioned where you have AA Cruisers, High Tier USN BBs arrayed around you that they provide layers of AA that the CV must cross to get to you, thereby discouraging air attacks against you.  Example:

- There's a friendly Minotaur a few km away, in between you and the enemy team / CV, and she's camping the islands, smoking up.

- To the NW of you is an AA Spec Montana, maybe 10 or so km away.

- To the NE of you, maybe 9km away is a Des Moines camping an island.

You have teammates like this around you to provide layers of AA from different directions.  They're not necessarily within 7.2km of you, but they're around where they AA makes it discouraging for the CV to go after you.  Just remember, CVs do not like running their planes into AA gauntlets.  They may still do so in specific situations, in such cases, the gauntlet will take their toll on planes.

Just you have to be patient when playing a Secondary Spec German BB in a High Tier Match, you have to be patient also in a CV match.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PLDN]
Members
160 posts

Thanks X15. sorry i cant get discord to work but feel free to use my teamspeak channel anytime you want.

2018-03-23 (2).png

Sign in to follow this