Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

To Musashi or Not to Musashi

54 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
3,971 posts
6,876 battles

upF7gGK.jpg

So having ground my way there, and already owning the Mighty Mo, I find myself with a conundrum.  Should I get the Musashi or not? 

Some quick calculations show I could FXP the entire IJN BB line up to the Yamato buying and selling as I go up the line for about the same FXP.  However when I look at the stats the Musashi is certainly doing well over the last 2 weeks (top of the tier IX charts) and it has a better win rate and almost identical damage as Yamato does at tier X . As well the Musashi has the attraction of being available to more tiers than Yamato (I think)

I am looking for a BB killer.  I dearly want to punish those BB campers that are screwing up high tier game play .  I have the Monty, but I keep getting penned by you-know-whos. So those big IJN guns are calling to me and I am about to succumb to their siren song of heinous disrespect and destruction.

So whaddaya think?   Buy or not.

Members
29 posts
3 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

upF7gGK.jpg

So having ground my way there, and already owning the Mighty Mo, I find myself with a conundrum.  Should I get the Musashi or not? 

Some quick calculations show I could FXP the entire IJN BB line up to the Yamato buying and selling as I go up the line for about the same FXP.  However when I look at the stats the Musashi is certainly doing well over the last 2 weeks (top of the tier IX charts) and it has a better win rate and almost identical damage as Yamato does at tier X . As well the Musashi has the attraction of being available to more tiers than Yamato (I think)

I am looking for a BB killer.  I dearly want to punish those BB campers that are screwing up high tier game play .  I have the Monty, but I keep getting penned by you-know-whos. So those big IJN guns are calling to me and I am about to succumb to their siren song of heinous disrespect and destruction.

The sigma value alone would make me choose the Yamato over the Musashi. Not to mention much better AA and secondaries.

[ARP2]
Members
1,358 posts
3,637 battles

Honestly, I bought her because I'm an IJN fan, and she one of the most powerful battleships to ever sail so I had to have her.

If I wasn't either of those things, I'd have skipped her and just got Yamato.

[RNG]
Members
221 posts
5,473 battles

Id get Musashi, there is no guarantee she will stay in forever, as with Mighty Mo, she could get replaced. Yamato will always be here to grind up to.

[MIA]
Members
1,187 posts
4,485 battles

I wouldn't get Musashi. You already have the Mo whose better at printing credits than the Musashi.

If you want the Musashi, just get the Yamato lest you are that concerned over having a IX handicapped Yammy with a different name. If the guns are calling to you, better to get the fully decked Yamato then a bare Musashi who still has the chance to face off against her more powerful sister; or you still have a chance to fight X CVs except now you have no AA and now you have barely any secondaries to ward off DDs.

Musashi to me is if you don't want to progress down the IJN BB line but want the famous 18in guns, its a similar case to the Mo if you wanted to skip the USN BB line to get an iconic Iowa class ship. However, the IJN has a very solid line that has a few keepers in addition to the Yamato. And, unlike the Mo, trades a lot to keep those guns but move to a lower tier. Part of what made the Yamato so great is its guns in conjunction with a moderate AA armament and mortar secondaries. Prior to the KM, she was the secondary spec BB of choice

Plus I'd pick the Mo, free Iowa, Lion, or Alsace before taking out the Musashi if I wanted a IX BB.

Plus there's the datamined IX Soviet Cruiser that looks very interesting and unique so you may wanna save for that if it turns into a freemium.

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ
  • Cool 1

Members
29 posts
4 minutes ago, Magyar5 said:

Id get Musashi, there is no guarantee she will stay in forever, as with Mighty Mo, she could get replaced. Yamato will always be here to grind up to.

To be fair, this sounds highly subjective based on a desire to collect rather than, "I need something to punish others".

17 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

upF7gGK.jpg

From a combat perspective, the Musashi is not anywhere close to as good as the Yamato.

Members
828 posts
6,339 battles
22 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

upF7gGK.jpg

As I keep saying, musashi is the best tier 9 BB IN THE GAME. Better than that gimmick of a ship which can't pen anything at bow and has to rely on radar and AA to be effective. Seriously MO might as well hide its BB balls and be a cruiser instead.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,652 posts
8,321 battles
24 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

upF7gGK.jpg

• Funny 2

Members
828 posts
6,339 battles
7 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

To be fair, this sounds highly subjective based on a desire to collect rather than, "I need something to punish others".

From a combat perspective, the Musashi is not anywhere close to as good as the Yamato.

Actually I somehow average 20 k more dmg in the musashi than yamato. Stats don't lie 

[YORHA]
Members
3,971 posts
6,876 battles

Combined_Fleet_HQ posts a reasonable well argued position that has balance, logic and facts supporting it. I am convinced.

Then along comes  tcbaker777 and posts that and  i am ready to roll...

What the hell is wrong with me?

Members
29 posts
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Combined_Fleet_HQ posts a reasonable well argued position that has balance, logic and facts supporting it. I am convinced.

There's a few videos on YouTube that compare them, and give more info... if you haven't watched them yet... I'm about to pick up the Mo after this match.

Members
828 posts
6,339 battles
7 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

You obviously want it. Just get it you won't regret.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/150449-my-highest-dmg-ever-267k-dmg-in-musashi/

Musashi gets to beat up on tier 7s. You don't get the satisfaction of deleting colorados and Belfast in yamato.

Edited by _Dracarys

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
12,710 battles

Yes, get it.  Seriously, free premium T9 BB.  It would be a great companion to the Yamato and they can share a 19pt commander.  T10 requires a lot of credits to run so unless you purchase premium camo or premium time running the Yamato can be a credit sink especially while you are still learning to play it.  I've got Montana, Mo, and Yamato myself, my next goal I've been working on is Musashi and I've got about 30K Free XP to go...maybe another week or two running Papa Papa flags on high-tier ships.

Enjoy grinding up the IJN BB line as they are all great ships except for T3, T4, and T9.  Maybe use some free XP on Izumo to upgrade the equipment.  But otherwise it seems like a good idea to save free XP to spend on premium free XP ships when they come along.

[MIA]
Members
1,187 posts
4,485 battles
38 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

If I may add:

In my personal opinion what denotes a battleship as being great or a keeper is its ability to survive and its versatility across a variety of circumstances in randoms. In that regard, there are 2 (technically 3) ships that accomplish this better than the Musashi at IX.

The Lion and Iowa/Mo are better IXs than the Musashi, one that you already own and the other two are free to grind to or free exp.

The Iowa/Mo are BBs with accurate guns who are only inferior to Musashi in the ability to lolpen. However, these are ships with the concealment and speed to wait for an opening and punish any opponent who was unaware of you. This is furthered by their accuracy which leads to great result. The USN IXs also have the added benefit of a great AA loadout to ward off CVs in their occasional appearances and their narrow profiles lends itself in bow on tanking at mid range. The Missouri has all this with American radar which I'm sure you can agree is very useful. Their citadels were lowered which while does not completely negate citadels, makes playing these ships more forgiving

The Lion is almost the same as the USN with a few differences. Your AA, while good, is short range if you play according to a survival build, and your secondaries are practically nonexistent; on paper you have a very small health pool. However, you have one of the best heals in the game that when played right can see a player repair +20k HP and this can happen multiple times throughout a match. Your AP can smack, you'll see less citadels but more regular penetrations. Lion is also one of the most accurate BBs ingame at IX (might be the most accurate I can't remember). If AP is not working, you also have the trademark British HE with its 1/4 penetration instead of 1/6 and its high fire chance of 48%. Its why people mainly use HE on them: 1 salvo = +15k dmg with 1 fire guaranteed. With that 1/4 penetration you can also smack cruisers with the Lion's 419s. This isn't even mentioning it has the best concealment among the IXs BBs allowing to ghost when its needs to disengage.

At the end of the day you want the fearsome 460 lolpen guns. If thats what you're looking for then yes the Musashi can give you that but that's all you can rely on at IX to which other ships can still do the same job and more. 

You have the armor and the guns, but while you have the chance of bullying VIIs you also have the unfortunate IX mm which will have you face off against the same threats the Yamato has but you'll have a much tougher time in the Musashi. Its not equal mm chances either as VIIs are mostly top tier, meaning you won't be most of the time. 

I should also mention, you're not getting the exact same 460s from the Yamato. The difference in them is the sigma between both. Whether or not the difference is significant is a whole other discussion but what this means - or could mean depending on RNG - is you will more often not see those tight shell groupings of the Yamato which results in 3-6 shells hitting the citadel and annihilating an enemy. You'll have a higher chance to hit your target at the shells disperse over a wider area but you'll a lower chance of them all hitting a critical point. 

The sigma isn't as bad as the FDG or Alsace but its still worth mentioning imo.

At that point: why not just get the Yamato or why not just play the Missouri?

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ

[LEGIT]
Members
1,591 posts
23,955 battles
28 minutes ago, BarbedWireRat said:

Seriously, free premium T9 BB

I got it.  I like it.  I'll play it.

[MIA]
Supertester, Supertester
6,439 posts
7,774 battles

There's nothing else and it's not as bad as others say, get Musashi.

[RST]
Members
378 posts
7,910 battles

Your title and topic are the same as mine.  You may find added info in this thread (as I am in yours).

In case you want more info on the same topic.  FWIW I am reading this one for other (new) comments / insights along the same lines.  For now, I am taking a wait and see...I need 90k XP to get Yamato outright (and be rid of the albatross WarGaming calls "Izumo") and I figure Musashi will be around for a while, so I can afford to wait a bit.  Good luck with your deliberation.

[RST]
Members
378 posts
7,910 battles
1 hour ago, BarbedWireRat said:

Yes, get it.  Seriously, free premium T9 BB.  It would be a great companion to the Yamato and they can share a 19pt commander.  T10 requires a lot of credits to run so unless you purchase premium camo or premium time running the Yamato can be a credit sink especially while you are still learning to play it.  I've got Montana, Mo, and Yamato myself, my next goal I've been working on is Musashi and I've got about 30K Free XP to go...maybe another week or two running Papa Papa flags on high-tier ships.

Enjoy grinding up the IJN BB line as they are all great ships except for T3, T4, and T9.  Maybe use some free XP on Izumo to upgrade the equipment.  But otherwise it seems like a good idea to save free XP to spend on premium free XP ships when they come along.

Isn't the HSF promo campaign running giving the equivalent of a free premium camo?  I'm counting on that going onto my Yammy when I get her.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,833 posts
8,347 battles
1 hour ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

She most certainly is.  I can personally attest to that.

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
19,461 posts
19,601 battles

I am less than 30k FXP from being able to get the Musashi, but I have very little desire to do so.  I have the Missouri already.  And even the Yamato doesn't excite me all that much.  I suppose it'll be a while before we see another FXP premium, but I think that I'll wait to see if the next one interests me more.

[NGAGE]
Members
4,284 posts
6,294 battles

I'd personally wait to find out more about what WG is going to do with the Kronshtadt before spending large amounts of Free XP myself.  

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,943 posts

Had 750K FXP..   Could have pulled the trigger.

Decided I'd rather have a Hindenburg for 188K FXP (+ credits + $25 for camo)  Now my FXP is at 602K

I already have the Missouri and Yamato with premium camo.  

I can wait until I've got time to play to get the Musashi.

[JASH]
Members
3,662 posts
9,807 battles

I've got 850K free XP.  Maybe after I have Chung Mu, Yueyang and I have 1.5 million I'll really consider it, or maybe not.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
2,319 posts
8,777 battles
3 hours ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

You don’t know what you are talking about.  From a combat perspective Musashi is identical to Yamato in every way.  I have plenty of combat experience in each ship, in solo randoms.  My stats are not hidden, you can go and see for yourself.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,421 posts
5,945 battles
3 hours ago, JCC45 said:

upF7gGK.jpg

I haven’t really enjoyed mine.  I don’t care for the play style.   It punishes aggression, and I’m a really aggressive player.

Sign in to follow this