You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_BBaby

Is the Missouri worth 75 bucks?

41 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,897 posts
3,940 battles

So Missouri is leaving, and after several horrible miscalculations, I know (a week before its gone) realize if I grind like hell and spend 75 bucks, I can get the Mo. I don't buy premium time, so I am running standard account with all premium consumables on battleships. Long story short I am REALLY hurting for credits and afaik I am the perfect Missouri candidate. Its worth sacrificing my Nelson funds in order to get Missouri right?

Pretty sure the common answer is yes here, but I just wanted to double check, its a tier 9 premium, not a tier 4 sealclubber

[SYN]
Members
15,462 posts
12,778 battles

IMO, best T9 BB to bring to T10 battle.

[RLGN]
Members
12,229 posts
21,940 battles

If you’re not used to high tier games, and especially if you happen to be good with Dunkerque; Nelson might be a better bet.

Odds are Missouri will return eventually for one thing; and for another; I would recommend against the stress of binge gaming just to get a ship.

The burnout can be real, and performance anxiety might tank your win rate.

• Cool 1

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If you’re not used to high tier games, and especially if you happen to be good with Dunkerque; Nelson might be a better bet.

Odds are Missouri will return eventually for one thing; and for another; I would recommend against the stress of binge gaming just to get a ship.

The burnout can be real, and performance anxiety might tank your win rate.

The burnout is very nasty and real i cant play right now.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,004 posts
3,304 battles

Yes, easily worth it if you have the $75 to spend on the game. Don't expect million credit games all the time, but even a horrible loss will be a profit, and earning a couple hundred thousand a game is pretty easy. It's even better on a premium account (so I hear). The ship itself is very nice. The Iowa is good, and the MO is better.

However, if you don't already play at least T8, you may want to consider another ship. T9 is not forgiving for newbies, and if it's your first taste of high tier play, you'll probably end up hating the MO. If you're used to T10, go ahead.

Overall, the chance to get the MO for that price is pretty good. I'd jump on it if I were you. You have about a week, the patch probably hits early next Wednesday morning (Eastern US time)

Members
2,120 posts
11,233 battles

Hey

I have resigned to the fact that I'm just not worried about not getting the Missouri; yes I wanted it, but I don't think I can get grinding enough to make the 750K in time, and I don't really want to spend that much in doubloons either.  And if I did; I would be completely out of Convert XP.  I have other ships that I want and are within reach if I should choose to use the XP on hand; this I couldn't do if I used it all for the MO.  I really don't care for the T9/10 BB gameplay anyways, much too passive, campy for me, might consider that Nelson which is doable.  So no great loss, I will keep plugging away and having fun even without it.  

Pete 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,540 posts
12,180 battles

Missouri is better than Nelson.

Spoiler

But for what it's worth, I also think it has a higher skill floor.

Edited by pikohan

Members
1,866 posts
16,312 battles

Have about every premium and every quality tier ship (not CVs though), and the Mighty Mo is still my favorite - get it while you can 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,252 posts
10 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Missouri is better than Nelson.

Hide contents

But for what it's worth, I also think it has a higher skill floor.

True, Missouri is not at all forgiving of mistakes in positioning or angling.   It turns like crap, and takes a LOT of room to do it- so if you let DD's or torp cruisers get close, you're going to eat torpedoes.   Plus, it's very long and a citadel magnet if you give any halfway awake enemy side to shoot at.  (very much related to the first point! )  The high speed means you can get into trouble in a big hurry.

Once you've worked those kinks out, it's a very good ship- and useful in most situations thanks to it's US jack of all trades build, and the radar it gets.

Lessons learned playing MO will serve you well in Montana. (you just trade that radar for a 4th turret, better secondaries, and more health.)

I don't have Nelson yet, so I can't comment on your first statement.   I am planning on buying it soon, once my fxp gets up to speed.  (I "only" have 1.8 million, and want 2 before I start spending any lol)

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,440 battles

I think you should get to the Montana before you decide, this way you can see all the options. I have serious regret with the MO

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Outside of gameplay, I routinely ask myself, "how much play time will I make of it" regarding any in-game purchase for ANY game I play; WoWS, CoD, WoW, ect. 

I take my wages/gaming budget and compare it to the amount I'm going to spend; to check if the amount is affordable. Then compare that to the amount of time I'll actually use it; to check if is worth my dollars. 

An example is a CoD "season pass" cost ~129 I tend to get close to 14-15 days played through the season. That's 360h of play time, that's 2.79 per hour; imo worth it. 

On the WoWS side of things one of my earliest purchases was Warspite at ~45$. She's got 140 matches to her name. At ~10mins per match thats 1400mins play time, ~23h; 1.95 per hour. 

And Warspite's cost-fun factor will always get better, as long as I remember to play it. Same the for any other Premiums in my collection; as long as I remember to play them what I spent is making its value worth it. 

---

So is 75$ too expensive for Mo? As an initial lump sum; yes. But if WoWS is your primary source of gaming and it absorbs the majority of your time; consider how much usage the ship will require for you to consider it being "paid off". Not talking about in-game earnings, talking solely your personal time investment. 

Any and all recreational investments are only worth what the purchaser makes it to be... " I hear [insert country] is nice at this time of year..."

• Cool 1

[BROAT]
Members
69 posts

I have 400 games between the Iowa and the Mo and enjoy them very much. You trade the spotter/fighter plane for radar and the little bit of extra armor on the athwartship in the Mo. It is easier to push caps in the Mo because even if you don't radar the cap, DDs will see you and it seems half the time your presence alone is enough to scare them off the cap. I do average about 15k more damage in the Mo but I think that is due to the Iowa being on the very first line I went up, and back then the Citadel sat somewhere between the international space station and geosynchronous orbit. It sure is nice to play 10 games in the Mo and have an extra 5-7 mil credits in the bank though. Economically, the best I could hope for in the Iowa was a 100k gain, nothing like the Mo.

Overall I think it would be a good choice to grab it if you can, for no other reason than it is an absolutely beautiful ship.

Edited by broats

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
259 posts
6,532 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

However, if you don't already play at least T8, you may want to consider another ship. T9 is not forgiving for newbies, and if it's your first taste of high tier play, you'll probably end up hating the MO. If you're used to T10, go ahead.

Even if you're not comfortable with high-tier play, there's always co-op. And while co-op is usually terrible economy-wise for anything T8 and up, the Missouri will actually still earn money, just not as much as in Randoms.

[AXANR]
Members
3,491 posts
19,875 battles

If you play a lot, you play mostly non-premium time, and you're hurting for credits, she's worth it. Even a bad game nets you a good profit. You will never stress about grinding credits again. *But* she's a t9 BB, and one with fragile sides. She can brawl better than people give her credit for, but positioning and angling are critical to the success of the ship. She rewards playing close-in like a German BB due to her radar when you have teammates in position to engage what you light up, but you will die fast if you're flanked without support, even more so than most BBs.

She can bow-tank like a champ and she has god-mode guns. You can set her up for accuracy and be a good mid to long range fighter and make ok credits; that style of play bores me and I prefer to play closer in, so I have her set up for max ROF and stealth. Which means I'm inconsistent; with a bad team or even a good team where I push too soon, I die badly and only make a 100k profit (lol only 100k profit at tier 9). But when things break right for me I bust out huge games. She rewards a player who *wants* to get in close, but is patient and very aware of the flow of the game and the potential movements over the next several minutes. 

Also, with the combination of radar and 16" guns, she's the best British CL-killer in the game. I really enjoy lighting up my radar and putting 6 or 9 16" superheavy AP shells into a Mino or Neptune's side in their smoke before they even start to move. 

Thing is, though, even though she prints credits like mad, if you don't like her style of play, it's still going to feel like a grind when you build up credits with her. So she's worth it if you like playing her, because even though she's not much different than an Iowa you can easily clear a million credits an hour in profits playing her. But if you don't like playing her, play the fun mid-tier ships and just take longer to grind out credits. 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,749 posts
20,671 battles
14 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

Thing is, though, even though she prints credits like mad, if you don't like her style of play, it's still going to feel like a grind when you build up credits with her. So she's worth it if you like playing her, because even though she's not much different than an Iowa you can easily clear a million credits an hour in profits playing her. But if you don't like playing her, play the fun mid-tier ships and just take longer to grind out credits. 

This is an important part.  There was someone asking if he should get Missouri or not.  But he let it be known he didn't like Iowa.  Everybody was gushing with recommendations for Missouri for valid reasons.  I was one of the guys having a more even approach to the recommendations with pro's and con's, most especially since the OP in that thread didn't like Iowa.  He went and got Missouri still and 'lo and behold, he hates playing it.

750k FreeXP down the [edited].

[WORX]
Members
7,010 posts
16,410 battles

just a matter of opinion. NO the MO is not worth $75. For its tier yes its has power to defend itself.

BUT the MO is  a floating timber box that can explode when a FLAMETHROWER (cruisers/DD ) hit you from long range or in smoke like the KUTUZOV, or just long range with out it like the RU CHAPAYEV, the ZAO or even the DDs like the MOSKVA  can.

At tier 9 in the hands of a good BB player the MO is a great ship to play. In T10 Matches its not the top BB in the tier and I would argue its near the bottom ranked BB. Fire is the worst HP drain on the MO.

Economy wise, yes for its tier it gives out more credits then any other ship in its tier HOWEVER, I earn 6k cpt credits and 4k - 8k free XP in the ATL, and the ATL was way more fun then the MO (that is if you are not a BB driver and you like cruiser and DD gameplay instead).

So would I recommend the MO to anyone ? only for historians (japan surrendered on the ship) or die hard BB drivers. IF your none of these categories then I do not recommand the ship to you.

Take care everyone.

Edited by Navalpride33

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles
18 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I have resigned to the fact that I'm just not worried about not getting the Missouri; yes I wanted it, but I don't think I can get grinding enough to make the 750K in time, and I don't really want to spend that much in doubloons either.  And if I did; I would be completely out of Convert XP.  I have other ships that I want and are within reach if I should choose to use the XP on hand; this I couldn't do if I used it all for the MO.  I really don't care for the T9/10 BB gameplay anyways, much too passive, campy for me, might consider that Nelson which is doable.  So no great loss, I will keep plugging away and having fun even without it.  

Pete 

You'd be surprised how you can get the Missouri.

I ground out the 750k XP in about 2 months of premium time - got the Nelson in December, then realized I should have just saved for the Missouri.

But even better, this past weekend, I make almost 100k FreeXP  in 3 days.  Flags, the +200% win bonus, and using a lot of the various cammos really added up. 

If you have the slightest thing that you really might want to make a stab at it, BUY the premium time and drop the $4 for the Papa Papa flags. It will save you vs doubloons  a considerable amount. $10 in a week's premium time and $4 in flags can easily net you 200k in a week.

Edit:

Just to be clear, I did this in the context of leveling a couple of ship lines that I'd been meaning to do: the French CAs (going from T4 to T8 so far), the German DDs (from T6 to T9 so far), British CLs  (T8 to T10), and finishing off my German BB (T8 to T10) line.  I needed about 100 or so special camouflages, mostly with +100% base XP bonuses, and 200 Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% XP) and 200 Papa Papa (+300% FreeXP). It was helped by at least 2 +200% First Win bonus weekends, and that I'd earned 4 various permanent camos for certain ships via the special Mission/Event stuff.

But it's eminently doable, and I'm not elite. I think I averaged about 1100 base XP (before premium and any adjustments) per game, but with all the adjustments, that translated into a large number of 5k+ XP and 1k+ FreeXP games, and VERY rarely was I earning under 2k XP/400 FreeXP.  And yeah, I potatoed occasionally.  I did have to put in the seat time, though, because I had to average 500 games/month, which translates into about 100 hours/month.

Good news is that you can expect at least 20k in FreeXP just from containers per month, if you get 3 per day, which, with all the modifiers, is really easy to get in 10 games or so of play. 

I did this all in Random, no CoOp, virtually no Operations, and no division play.  Your mileage may vary, but, frankly, anyone with a WTR of 1000+ should be able to duplicate my experience easily. My WTR is 1125 over that period, which puts me barely into the "very good" category, and with a 56% Win Rate.

As far as cost:  I paid for (2) 30-day premium account packs, (1) All The Bonuses pack, and (1) 100-flag Papa Papa packs, costing me about $44 total. I also had several premium ships to help me level a couple of captains (including transferring several between ships as I tiered up).

So that's the story of how I made 600,000 FreeXP in about 60 days  (and a net of about 25 million in credits, while selling only 2 of the ships I'd leveled - the Neptune and FDG).

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,682 posts
7,356 battles
On 2/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, EAnybody said:

You'd be surprised how you can get the Missouri.

I ground out the 750k XP in about 2 months of premium time - got the Nelson in December, then realized I should have just saved for the Missouri.

But even better, this past weekend, I make almost 100k FreeXP  in 3 days.  Flags, the +200% win bonus, and using a lot of the various cammos really added up. 

If you have the slightest thing that you really might want to make a stab at it, BUY the premium time and drop the $4 for the Papa Papa flags. It will save you vs doubloons  a considerable amount. $10 in a week's premium time and $4 in flags can easily net you 200k in a week.

Edit:

Just to be clear, I did this in the context of leveling a couple of ship lines that I'd been meaning to do: the French CAs (going from T4 to T8 so far), the German DDs (from T6 to T9 so far), British CLs  (T8 to T10), and finishing off my German BB (T8 to T10) line.  I needed about 100 or so special camouflages, mostly with +100% base XP bonuses, and 200 Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% XP) and 200 Papa Papa (+300% FreeXP). It was helped by at least 2 +200% First Win bonus weekends, and that I'd earned 4 various permanent camos for certain ships via the special Mission/Event stuff.

But it's eminently doable, and I'm not elite. I think I averaged about 1100 base XP (before premium and any adjustments) per game, but with all the adjustments, that translated into a large number of 5k+ XP and 1k+ FreeXP games, and VERY rarely was I earning under 2k XP/400 FreeXP.  And yeah, I potatoed occasionally.  I did have to put in the seat time, though, because I had to average 500 games/month, which translates into about 100 hours/month.

Good news is that you can expect at least 20k in FreeXP just from containers per month, if you get 3 per day, which, with all the modifiers, is really easy to get in 10 games or so of play. 

I did this all in Random, no CoOp, virtually no Operations, and no division play.  Your mileage may vary, but, frankly, anyone with a WTR of 1000+ should be able to duplicate my experience easily. My WTR is 1125 over that period, which puts me barely into the "very good" category, and with a 56% Win Rate.

As far as cost:  I paid for (2) 30-day premium account packs, (1) All The Bonuses pack, and (1) 100-flag Papa Papa packs, costing me about $44 total. I also had several premium ships to help me level a couple of captains (including transferring several between ships as I tiered up).

So that's the story of how I made 600,000 FreeXP in about 60 days  (and a net of about 25 million in credits, while selling only 2 of the ships I'd leveled - the Neptune and FDG).

This takes a lot of time and dedication which not a lot of people can have and I certainly don't.

I've gotten the Musashi when it was released near the end of January and was slightly under 2 million free xp after the research and within a month's time I've gotten to over 2.7 million free exp while not spending anywhere near the 100 hours of game time. And 99% of those games were from operations.

The only thing is I have a great reserve of those special flags and Type 59 camos that allows me to net on average 12k-15k free xp for every operation (mostly Narai) so this requires just about as much money if not more if you're simply trying to get the Missouri, but the money I spent to obtain these flags and camo is not for a single ship or a single line, but rather an investment for multiple lines, upgrades, and potential future free exp ships.

If you happen to have these special flags and the type 59 camos, it is worth using them to do the operations with a good division to get great consistent results, something that you can't really control in randoms.

I for one would be extremely drained to play the game if I were to grind out the free exp like a machine let alone do it all in random battles.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

You can buy it but you only have 750 games under your belt and less than a 100 in Tier 8 so your probably going to struggle in that ship till you get more experience under your belt. Honestly your average profit will be similar to a tier 5 or tier 6 for a while

[TDD]
Members
1,144 posts
9,224 battles

If the $75 is disposable income and won't put you back I would pull the trigger.

There is no guarantee that Missouri will ever be back on sale.  The fact that they did not give Musashi the same credit earning ability leads me to think that it' won't.

Missouri is an incredible ship and she is my go to BB.

Spoiler

5a944f55e883b_Screenshot2018-02-2516_35_53.thumb.png.5624f6ef144317b3b4bd9b111054e4ab.png

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,559 battles
On 2/21/2018 at 12:28 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is an important part.  There was someone asking if he should get Missouri or not.  But he let it be known he didn't like Iowa.  Everybody was gushing with recommendations for Missouri for valid reasons.  I was one of the guys having a more even approach to the recommendations with pro's and con's, most especially since the OP in that thread didn't like Iowa.  He went and got Missouri still and 'lo and behold, he hates playing it.

750k FreeXP down the [edited].

I don't know.  My relationship with the Missouri hasn't exactly been stellar and I generally don't like the ship all that much but despite this, when I see I am netting 600-800k or more usually every match even with somewhat below average game play, any issue I have with the ship goes away.

On the other hand, even though I thoroughly enjoy the Musashi,  I feel massively let down by the fact most matches only secure me between 350-450k even when I have an above average game which also tends to restrict how much I end up playing the ship despite having fun with it.

Still you have a valid point.  If you don't enjoy the ship for whatever the reason be it play style or the fact that its earning potential is disappointment to you, you will tend to avoid playing the ship so it may very well be not worth the $75 despite the Missouri's earning potential. 

Still you have to consider that you will only have to play 1 match in Missouri for every 2-3 in another premium to earn the same credits.  Therefore you have to ask yourself, "Would I like the Nelson so much more than I would be willing to play it 2-3 times more than the Missouri whenever I want/need to earn additional credits?"  If yes, save yourself the cash and go with the Nelson cause she is a great and fun ship if you like the "All Firepower Front" play style.  If No and you have the $75 to spare, grab the Missouri while you can.

Also just wanted to add that I honestly don't think the Missouri will be back because with the introduction of the Musashi and its highly nerfed income earning potential, it is pretty obvious that WG feels the Missouri earns not just a bit too many credits but rather, WAAAYYYY to many credits.  Therefore just like any ship that over-performs, I think they will pull it indefinitely. 

• Cool 1

[YETI]
Members
129 posts
7,668 battles
9 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

... you have the $75 to spare, grab the Missouri while you can.

Also just wanted to add that I honestly don't think the Missouri will be back because with the introduction of the Musashi and its highly nerfed income earning potential, it is pretty obvious that WG feels the Missouri earns not just a bit too many credits but rather, WAAAYYYY to many credits.  Therefore just like any ship that over-performs, I think they will pull it indefinitely. 

Completely agree, if you can and have the $$.   I was on the fence for a long time and with the deadline fast approaching i decided to pull the trigger and get her.  I'm a very average player.  this is a typical example of what you can expect.  Running the following flags on both MO and Bama: Papa Papa, Equal Speed Charlie, Zulu, India Bravo Terrathree

Missouri
Defeat: 68K damage (2x Cits).   448K in credits
Victory: 42K damage 387K credits

Service: 57-59K  << about 60K in service for a T9 ship makes them affordable to play.

Now in a Alabama (granted it's a tier lower).
Victory: 63K damage (3x cits) 267K in credits.

Service: 55K

Edited by temp1ar

[WOLF6]
Members
830 posts
7,845 battles
On 2/20/2018 at 6:44 PM, MCCIV said:

So Missouri is leaving, and after several horrible miscalculations, I know (a week before its gone) realize if I grind like hell and spend 75 bucks, I can get the Mo. I don't buy premium time, so I am running standard account with all premium consumables on battleships. Long story short I am REALLY hurting for credits and afaik I am the perfect Missouri candidate. Its worth sacrificing my Nelson funds in order to get Missouri right?

Pretty sure the common answer is yes here, but I just wanted to double check, its a tier 9 premium, not a tier 4 sealclubber

In the context of it cost me almost $60 to get Tirpitz , the Mo is absolutely worth $15 more to get her . Also in terms of the suffering I've endured at the hands of Kutozov and smoked up RN cruisers  ,  Missouri is Sweeet Revenge !!! Throw in the credit earnings and it's a no brainer . That is if you can afford the $75 to begin with . I grabbed her right after they lowered the citadel , prior to that she was too unforgiving and an easy kill for my KMS BB's .

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,897 posts
3,940 battles

I pulled the trigger, and it has already been worth every penny. Haven't even had it a week and Ive already had my 1 million net in a game, and average probably over 500k credits a match. Throw the credit earnings aside and you still have a fantastic ship. I don't know if it is the small caliber guns on my Bismark grinding, or the AB-Y turret setup that I love so damn much, but I have cranked out averages in the Missouri I thought not even possible. Well worth every penny.

If you read this in the next 8 hours, buy Missouri now. If not, save for when it returns. It is sure as hell coming back

• Cool 1