Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

WG Give us Wichita when you split the cruisers! (Poll!)

Do you want USS Wichita to be included in the U.S. Cruiser Split event as a premium?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want USS Wichita to be included in the U.S. Cruiser Split event as a premium?

• Definitely!
    • Definitely not.
    • I don't have an opinion, I just like to vote in polls!
  2. 2. What tier should USS Wichita be?

• Tier 7
    • Tier 8
  3. 3. What features/consumables should Wichita have?

• I'm going to list my thoughts below.
    • I am spiteful, and full of hate.

58 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts

Many of us have been longing for USS Wichita to make it into the game.  As a one-off cruiser, she's a perfect candidate for a premium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wichita_(CA-45)

Originally intended as a New Orleans, they wound up being the inspiration for Baltimore.

With New Orleans moving to Tier 7, and Baltimore to Tier 8, what tier should Wichita be?  What abilities should she have?

Personally, I think she should be a Tier 7 CA with heal.

[CHA0S]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
157 posts
5,637 battles

I would put the Wichita at tier 8 where the baltimore is going to be because we already got 2 tier 7 premium cruisers for US the atlanta and indy but the us don't have tier 8 premium cruiser.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,940 posts
7,872 battles

Do I want her in the game? Yes.

As a Premium? Nope.

I'd prefer her as the T8 Cruiser of the main line, as the transition from New Orleans and Baltimore.

Special features? How about strong AA at Tier 8?

• Cool 1

Members
69 posts
7,222 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

As a Premium? Nope.

I'd prefer her as the T8 Cruiser of the main line, as the transition from New Orleans and Baltimore.

That's going to be the Cleveland.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
3 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

As a Premium? Nope.

Why on earth should a one-off design occupy a tech tree slot when there are so many other multiple-ship options for that? 

She couldn't be more suited to a premium if the USN had designed her with that in mind back in the day!

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,940 posts
7,872 battles
2 minutes ago, Acaibaero said:

That's going to be the Cleveland.

Cleveland is going to be in the CL-line. The CA-line however will have Baltimore, with the Buffalo (paper) filling the gap at T9.

Just now, TheDreadnought said:

Why on earth should a one-off design occupy a tech tree slot when there are so many other multiple-ship options for that? 

She couldn't be more suited to a premium if the USN had designed her with that in mind back in the day!

Because the replacement for the T9 ship is the Buffalo, a ship that kind of breaks with the turret setup that USN Cruisers have, and that is rather unsuited for holding down a cap bow-in.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
4 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Cleveland is going to be in the CL-line. The CA-line however will have Baltimore, with the Buffalo (paper) filling the gap at T9.

Because the replacement for the T9 ship is the Buffalo, a ship that kind of breaks with the turret setup that USN Cruisers have, and that is rather unsuited for holding down a cap bow-in.

Isn't USS Buffalo going to be an Oregon City class?  Same arrangement as Baltimore.  The other two Buffalo cruisers were light cruiser designs.

[5BS]
Members
8,757 posts

No idea who thinks the Wichita should be a T8 but you (all) are very wrong: remember, it's just a Brooklyn hull (which will be the T6 soon) with a New Orlean's guns (the soon-to-be T7).

That said, give her repair, unique among USN CA's, and DFAA, on separate cooldowns. So it trades gun-vs-gun survivability for DD hunting/torp survivability.

[5BS]
Members
8,757 posts
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Isn't USS Buffalo going to be an Oregon City class?  Same arrangement as Baltimore.  The other two Buffalo cruisers were light cruiser designs.

The Buffalo has been in the game for more than 2 years now: it's a CA-B design, with 4 turrets, split deck design (i.e. raised forecastle aka lower quarter-deck) and [edited] torps. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
Just now, _RC1138 said:

The Buffalo has been in the game for more than 2 years now: it's a CA-B design, with 4 turrets, split deck design (i.e. raised forecastle aka lower quarter-deck) and [edited] torps. 

Weird.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,940 posts
7,872 battles
6 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I present to you: Buffalo

bufalo.jpg.9c4794306c62eff229e21b7c1db52

Four turrets, AB-XY setup and Torpedoes

Beta Testers
347 posts
2,163 battles

Wichita would of worked as a Tier 8 Premium when NO was Tier 8 and Baltimore was Tier 9. But due to them being move a tier down on the split the Baltimore is simply a better ship in every way to the Wichita. Due to being a weaker ship it wouldn't sell well at Tier 8 in my opinion.

For a Tier 8 Premium the USS Oregon City would work.

Edited by Phaere

[WOLFB]
Members
2,832 posts
5,848 battles

I just want her in the game. I had family on that ship. And I have a part of her deck. As well as all the books about her and artwork from Life magazine. So if you need materials to put her in game I got them by the boat load.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
6,100 battles

I have some interest in this.  To learn more about the ship, check out my profile.  I got several links.

Wichita was the best armored treaty cruiser the US produced.  The evolved layout from the Brooklyn class inspired most of the classes after her.

For the game, she would fit well at tier 8, for she is stronger than New Orleans in all areas.  However, Baltimore is stronger than her in most areas, plus Wichita never had the heavy eight inch shells.  Therefore, to keep her interesting, I would do the following.

1.  Give her the last layout of armament she had, so full of AA goodness!

2.  Give her Radar, Hyrdo, and Defensive Fire at the same time  (Perhaps even a heal if needs be and to test out that combo for the higher tier light cruisers)

3. Give her a slight advantage in fire rate over Baltimore, as she won't have the heavy eight inch shells to use.  Flatter arcs and better speed of shells, but worse at island hiding.

4.  Better concealment than Baltimore, but not by too much.

A video

Members
4,156 posts
15,654 battles

I think that Wichita should be a XP ship, like Mo, Mushi, and Nell.

As for the USN Cruiser split; We don't have a clue as to when, if ever, it's going to happen. (Leastways I aint seen any) There's only been a hint about it last October or November. I wouldn't be surprised if WG shelves it in favor of something else like Roo-Shin BBs or Swiss DDs.

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

No idea who thinks the Wichita should be a T8 but you (all) are very wrong: remember, it's just a Brooklyn hull (which will be the T6 soon) with a New Orlean's guns (the soon-to-be T7).

Brooklyn/St. Louis will be T7. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,255 posts
1 hour ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Wichita is in WOWS Blitz actually

Pensacola T6 -  New Orleans T7 - Wichita T8 - Baltimore T9 - Des Moines T10

Yes, and make Buffalo a premium!    Having torps makes it unique, and well suited for a premium.    It'd have to be a fxp tier 9 though:  12 8" guns AND torpedoes AND USN AA,  would make it ridiculous as a tier 8.  Now THAT would be something worth saving my fxp for!  It definitely would NOT get accused of being "just a meh copy n paste cash grab" like Eugen, or  a bland same as the tech tree but a touch different, like Indy.  ( hell, without the radar, Indy is more in line with the rest of the US CA's than Pensa is, lol)

I personally think Baltimore does just fine at tier 9, and dropping it to 8 would cause it far more problems than it solved.   The above posted progression is more logical, and fits right in with how the USN CA's play.  Wild cards, like Buffalo and Atlanta, are better suited as premium material.

I would like to see Wichita in-game.  It might need just a trifle of soft stat sprucing up, or a consumable like a heal to make it  enough of an improvement over New Orleans to justify a tier 8 placement, or it may not.   Playtesting would tell us that.   It definitely fits as a WoWS USN CA though.

[SALVO]
Members
23,346 posts
23,956 battles
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I just want her in the game. I had family on that ship. And I have a part of her deck. As well as all the books about her and artwork from Life magazine. So if you need materials to put her in game I got them by the boat load.

I'm sorry, lonewolf, but if WG added every ship into the game that a player had family on, there'd be so many ships to produce and not enough people interested in them to support the cost of doing the work.  Honestly, I understand that it's enough of a reason for you or anyone else to wish it so, but it's not a good enough reason for WG to do it.

[SALVO]
Members
23,346 posts
23,956 battles
14 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I don't care about Witchita, but GIVE US FREAKING BROOKLYN:

maxresdefault.jpg

Lutzow, I won't say that I don't care about the Wichita, but given that it almost has to be a tier 7, I don't see how WG  can really justify adding another tier 7 USN cruiser.  I'd rather see a good, "normal" 6" gunned tier 6 USN premium Light Cruiser.  That is, "normal" as compared to the Atlanta which is and was very much an oddball.

And if that happens to be the Brooklyn, so be it.

Edited by Crucis

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,894 posts
8,457 battles

The Wichita is a pretty ship, I really like the look of the single 5"/38s on it. 

It would make a good tier 8 premium because it offers some good trade offs to get something unique like a heal or other consumable. The single 38s are going to have a lower dps and the ship is slightly inferior to the Baltimore Class in general. So if they for example just give it a heal it will trade some AA, some gun power, and some armor for more HP. So in other words it will be like how premiums should be, somewhat unique ships that are not strictly superior to their tech tree peers. 

Sign in to follow this