You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Change one thing to a tech tree ship

58 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
4,896 battles

I have zero interest in the French BB line...and I'm stuck at work...so this dawned on me: what would you change (within reason) on a tech tree ship?

-------------

Me personally I would give the Gneisenau the option to take the 11 inch guns. I feel like it could give the ship an unique opportunity to go for a high speed cruiser killer...more so the 15 inch guns are garbage. 

When you finish the grind for the ship, the Scharnhorst just looks like that much more of an attractive premium...you can sell more scharnies. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,651 battles

One thing on one ship? I think I'd tweak New Mexico's dispersion to equal Arizona's.

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts

Here's several ideas:

• Give the US 5"/38 its historical rate of fire.
  • Give Gneisenau Hydro
  • Count STS in US armor profiles
  • Keep Baltimore as-is when it gets moved to Tier 8
  • Restore all battleships to historical turn radii

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
20 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I have zero interest in the French BB line...and I'm stuck at work...so this dawned on me: what would you change (within reason) on a tech tree ship?

-------------

Me personally I would give the Gneisenau the option to take the 11 inch guns. I feel like it could give the ship an unique opportunity to go for a high speed cruiser killer...more so the 15 inch guns are garbage. 

When you finish the grind for the ship, the Scharnhorst just looks like that much more of an attractive premium...you can sell more scharnies. 

I do agree the 11" gun should have been the tech tree variant.

That said, after being a die hard Scharnhorst player, I'm learning to really appreciate the 15s on the Gneisenau.  You could have just bumped the accuracy or whatever for the premium 6 gun variant.

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles

Give Amagi 0.5 increased base secondary range.  I love my secondary build on her, I just wish I could reach out a hair further.

Members
1,051 posts
4,647 battles

I'd give Des Moines the same citadel as the Baltimore.  There is no reason a T10 ship should be far squishier than a T9.  It would at least give the Memes a shot while in open water instead of being the free citadel it currently is.

Alpha Tester
2,549 posts
14 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I'd like this too. But let's face it, WG deliberately omitted the 11 inch guns from Gneisenau to keep Scharnhorst unique. I hate it when the historical version is locked behind a paywall, but that's just the way it is.

As for me, I'd give Iron Duke her historical Jutland hull. After all, this is Jellicoe's flagship we're talking about and it irritates me that WG butchered an iconic ship into an abomination. Not as abominable as Kaiser, Konig or Bayern, but still.

1280px-HMS_Iron_Duke2.png

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,701 posts
11,828 battles

CV planes do not spot ships or torpedoes for teammates.

Gun bloom time reduced to 10 seconds for destroyers and 15 seconds for cruisers.

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
5,972 battles

I want the WWI hulls back. Yes I know the grind sucked when the stock ship was basically a tier lower but those WWI hulls were cool.

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
792 posts
6,245 battles
23 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I'd give Des Moines the same citadel as the Baltimore.  There is no reason a T10 ship should be far squishier than a T9.  It would at least give the Memes a shot while in open water instead of being the free citadel it currently is.

I think this would be mine as well, either that or give T8 cruisers repair party.

[SALVO]
Members
23,291 posts
23,927 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

-------------

WG has already said that they think that allowing for two different gun options on the Mogami (6" and 8") was a mistake.  This is why they didn't provide the 11" and 15" gun options on the Gneisenau in the first place. What makes you think that they'll change their minds at this point, given all this?

[SALVO]
Members
23,291 posts
23,927 battles
37 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Gun bloom time reduced to 10 seconds for destroyers and 15 seconds for cruisers.

Two big thumbs up on this, Drake!  :cap_like: :cap_like:

One exception.  CV planes should spot enemy ships (even if they were only put on the minimap).  Ships yes, torps no.

Gun bloom change?  Yes please!  or maybe make the gun bloom penalty depend on gun size.  5" and below, 10 seconds.  6-10" guns, 15 seconds.  Above 10" in size, 20 seconds.  This would largely address ships that have oddball guns sizes, like the 5" guns on the Atlanta, or the 150mm guns on some German DDs, or the 11" guns on the Spee.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
1,078 posts
4,073 battles
44 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Treat torpedoes as per a ship is, i.e. minimum range requirement to be detected and once out of range no longer detected.  And as per Crucis's idea, base the gun bloom on caliber.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,791 posts
4,594 battles
1 hour ago, Verios44 said:

Undo the USN BB armor nerf 

Huh??  The crowd here claims it (lowering the cits) was a buff.

Or do you want STS modeled?

[SVF]
Members
1,349 posts
1,821 battles

Barring giving Colorado a WeeVee hull  (I'd prefer a stand-alone premium for her), my thoughts would be:

Buff the reload speeds for the New York and New Mexico from the current 34.3s to something around 30s.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,054 posts
8,074 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Here's several ideas:

• Give the US 5"/38 its historical rate of fire.
  • Give Gneisenau Hydro
  • Count STS in US armor profiles
  • Keep Baltimore as-is when it gets moved to Tier 8
  • Restore all battleships to historical turn radii

Option D: All of the above. :Smile_great: