You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sivle

64 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
186 posts
6,810 battles

I remember there being a one time reward of FTW camo based upon your karma. It might be a nice acknowledgement and perhaps even encourage others to be a bit more friendly if it was rewarded. Maybe if you have XX karma at the end of each month you receive XX amount of a flag or camo. 

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

They do this every once in a while, you will get the FTW flags for having X amount of battles without dipping into negative karma. But I do like the incentive of weekly items as well

Beta Testers
394 posts
14,002 battles

I do not think Karma should be used for anything other than trying to control toxic chat.  I have been neg repped for strange things; playing too well , setting too many fires; hitting someone in smoke ( they thought it was a hack), not surrendering immediately and suiciding  once the rest of the team was dead. So I NEVER trust Karma ratings.

• Cool 4

[CNO]
Members
5,224 posts
16,404 battles

Karma is like a "thank you".  At least the positive kind.  It's not a good idea to reward folks for how many thank yous they get, as then it just opens the system up for more abuse.

The karma system depends on a large majority of good folk using it appropriately so as to swamp out those who use it inappropriately.  Better to let it run under the auspices of good will vice under some reward system.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,297 posts

The good behavior reward was a quarterly reward for not getting any strikes, had nothing to do with karma. Don't think they are giving them anymore.

[SYN]
Members
5,461 posts
12,704 battles

The Karma system needed to be properly thought out before inclusion, which it is most definitely not.

As it is now it's just vulnerable to abuse.  Too many raging saltaholic scrubs reporting for no good reason.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
5,461 posts
12,704 battles
8 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

you should get positive karma for reporting bad players that would go a long way to fixing the issues with it.  

^^ This is especially dubious.  How would you judge who is bad, and by what standard?  How would that "fix" anything?

Frankly, people who block their stats shouldn't even be allowed to report or compliment at all.

Your suggestion here is part of the problem.

• Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
129 posts
14,825 battles

Karma system should actually report to the player when they are "Reported".  It only tells you when you are complimented currently.  I want to know the player name that Reported/Complimented me.  For reporting, this would be useful because 95% of the time when I am "reported" I would like to know by whom so I can look at the replay and find out what did I do to deem a "Report".  This will only help to improve my game (and believe me, my game can use improvement).   

TLDR;  Remove the anonymity from reporting/complimenting.  Increase the reporting display to the player (including what match it happened in would be great too) .

• Cool 2

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,687 battles

WG originally wanted some sort of community driven thing with Karma, but gave up. It's a pointless number beside your name now.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 minutes ago, 12thDoctor said:

Karma system should actually report to the player when they are "Reported".  It only tells you when you are complimented currently.  I want to know the player name that Reported/Complimented me.  For reporting, this would be useful because 95% of the time when I am "reported" I would like to know by whom so I can look at the replay and find out what did I do to deem a "Report".  This will only help to improve my game (and believe me, my game can use improvement).   

TLDR;  Remove the anonymity from reporting/complimenting.  Increase the reporting display to the player (including what match it happened in would be great too) .

Are you suggesting a Karma Name and Shame? This is what it would become. I say Remove it completely end of false reports and fictitious Compliments.

[WOLF2]
Members
425 posts
7,769 battles
3 minutes ago, 12thDoctor said:

I agree there are times I get a minus karma for a match and wonder who the frak gave that to me.

However, this in all likelihood would just make the community more toxic.

As others have said the system is pretty useless anyway. There are so many times you don't get a compliment for a good/great match and then get minus when it's not deserved anyway.

[O_O]
Members
129 posts
14,825 battles

I am suggesting if someone "reports" me, I want to know the persons are so I can look back at my battle and find out from those perspectives what I did in error to correct my play.  I could also ask the person what they are complaining about if that is warranted.  We have in game blocking so if people get too mouthy people are able to block people if that becomes necessary.

Having this anonymity IMHO only promotes false reporting because they wont be named.  

Its a poor system, but this might make it somewhat more usable.  Just some thoughts. :)

Members
621 posts
25 minutes ago, 12thDoctor said:

love this idea!  bad play is toxic and deserves reporting.  hopefully this would encourage people to play better.

[GLF]
Members
908 posts
14,113 battles
36 minutes ago, 12thDoctor said:

It will tell you THAT you were reported, but obviously not who did the reporting.   I'm convinced it will only tell you when you actually lost a poiint.  I am perpetually at zero karma so... i never lose any, thus never get notified.  You always get compliment notifications, because its always worth a point.  

Also, remove anonymity:  MEH.   Won't do anything.  If I tell you during game I am reporting you, you won't give a @#$% if you're like 99% of the players out there.   Why then would you care if it tells you after that *i* did so?   To contact me about it?  If I am reporting someone, they immediately get blacklisted so i don't ever have to hear from them.   Because if I am doing that, I already do not value anything they have to say in retaliation.  With a report during game, I also mute them in chat.  

I still want to know, if i burn all of my "plays poorly" charges on one person in one match, does it actually set them back that many, or is only one counted?   What about Plays well?  Can i add 7 karma to someone? 

The FTW camo disbursement had nothing to do with karma.  It was based on support complaints and strikes as i recall.  

Edited by AnimaL21

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
4 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

It will tell you THAT you were reported, but obviously not who did the reporting.   I'm convinced it will only tell you when you actually lost a poiint.  I am perpetually at zero karma so... i never lose any, thus never get notified.  You always get compliment notifications, because its always worth a point.  

Also, remove anonymity:  MEH.   Won't do anything.  If I tell you during game I am reporting you, you won't give a @#$% if you're like 99% of the players out there.   Why then would you care if it tells you after that *i* did so?   To contact me about it?  If I am reporting someone, they immediately get blacklisted so i don't ever have to hear from them.   Because if I am doing that, I already do not value anything they have to say in retaliation.  With a report during game, I also mute them in chat.  

I still want to know, if i burn all of my "plays poorly" charges on one person in one match, does it actually set them back that many, or is only one counted?   What about Plays well?  Can i add 7 karma to someone? 

The FTW camo disbursement had nothing to do with karma.  It was based on support complaints and strikes as i recall.  

The current system only notifies you when you gain a point, it makes no notification upon losing a point (or 6). You know the system's being abused when you have a good game and lost 5 karma. lol

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[GLF]
Members
908 posts
14,113 battles
Just now, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

The current system only notifies you when you gain a point, it makes no notification upon losing a point (or 6).

Wrong.   

I have seen the "You were reported" popup on my own screen  (it appears amongst the useless notifications that my ship was repaired and consumables repurchased after a battle concludes).  But only when i have positive karma points.  

It looks exactly like the "You were complimented" one, only not as thrilling.  

[O_O]
Members
129 posts
14,825 battles
3 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Wrong.   

I have seen the "You were reported" popup on my own screen  (it appears amongst the useless notifications that my ship was repaired and consumables repurchased after a battle concludes).  But only when i have positive karma points.  

It looks exactly like the "You were complimented" one, only not as thrilling.  

Interesting, I have never seen a "You were reported" message.  I always look on my Notification tab.  Only way I know about negative reports is by looking at my profile in game.

Now i'm wondering if it is intended to show but is broken most the time.

[GLF]
Members
908 posts
14,113 battles
2 minutes ago, 12thDoctor said:

Interesting, I have never seen a "You were reported" message.  I always look on my Notification tab.  Only way I know about negative reports is by looking at my profile in game.

Now i'm wondering if it is intended to show but is broken most the time.

Its probably mostly broken, like every other part of the port UI.   Kinda like how my teammates only sometimes have the  crossed swords showing they are in game.  Most the time they appear to be in port, and don't respond for 20 min, only to come out and say "i was in battle".    Why bother having that, if it isn't actually going to update itself.  Gimme a "refresh" button or something.  

I can't say with any certainty that it displays on every report even when i have positive karma.  I can say with certainty that every time i actually get a report notification, i did previously have positive karma.  

Maybe it only shows when you cross the 0 to 1  or 1 to 0 threshold?  lol  

Edited by AnimaL21

[WOLF3]
Members
22,749 posts
20,671 battles
1 hour ago, JdeMolay said:

I do not think Karma should be used for anything other than trying to control toxic chat.  I have been neg repped for strange things; playing too well , setting too many fires; hitting someone in smoke ( they thought it was a hack), not surrendering immediately and suiciding  once the rest of the team was dead. So I NEVER trust Karma ratings.

The best is being negative repped for being the Top Scorer of the Winning Team :Smile_teethhappy: