Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IAmCoop

Spotting xp?

4 comments in this topic

[KSC]
Members
8 posts
9,234 battles

Now to start off, I know that in world of tanks there IS spotting xp based off how much damage your teammates do to whatever you're spotting. And in world of warships it tracks your teammates damage to enemy ships and tells you it in the post battle screen.

So naturally I'm thinking that'd it'd be a great mechanic for wows since there are quite a bit of examples, in game and even on YouTube of a DD and CA/CL div'ing up and the DD smokes him up for the battle and the cruiser does great, and then the DD is about in the middle of the team for base xp because he's helping his team win and not going off to use his smokes for himself.

So since he uses up his time sticking near his division teammates he can't perform well, and doesn't get rewarded for making a contribution. You can clearly see this on Flamu's video called "Des Moines- Divison Synergy". Which is why I'm writing this, because they don't get the reward for being a team player. 

I would love to see this implanted into the game, even when I'm not a true DD or CV player myself, since it promotes team play, not selfish play. Not just for DDs, but CVs too, since basically all a CV player does is spot, or should do at least, when he's not dealing with the enemy CV. 

Anyways, just my thoughts, although I'm sure many other people have them too. Would love to see this in game.

Thanks,

Coop

Edited by IAmCoop
  • Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
8 posts
9,234 battles

About halfway through writing this I realized it could also apply to CVs, not just DDs... I'm not quite sure how to delete a post since I'm not on the forums that much but it would be nice if any wg staff could move this from this section to another, or delete it so I can repost in the correct section. 

[AOD_D]
Supertester
219 posts
6,652 battles

Spotting exp does exist in wows pretty much in the way you described. You get a percentage of exp based on the amount of damage that you have spotted (at least in CVS not 100% about DDs though). Ill have to check the wiki amd get back to you on that :)

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles

You absolutely do get XP based on the damage caused while you're spotting. However, and it's a BIG however:

1. The amount seems to be small. It's not detailed anywhere, but it can't be more than 10-15% of what the person who gets the damage receives.
  2. "Spotting" is very, very limited in scope.  Basically, you get counted as "spotting" in one, and only one place:  where you can see the ship, but no one else can, for ANY other reason. As soon as someone else can see the ship, you lose any spotting bonus.

The second is the real killer, because it makes it hard for even super-stealthy DDs and CVs to accumulate much XP this way.

Here's a typical example:

You're a DD, with 6km concealment.  You're way out ahead of your team, say 10km.  You spot a BB, 15km away from you.  That's 25km from your team. So, you keep him spotted, which telegraphs his every move to your team, allowing your team to position themselves perfectly.

OK, you're still out in front of your team, but the enemy BB is now 16km away from your team, and they decide that they should now open fire, as THEY are not detected yet.  So they fire their guns.

Naturally, YOUR TEAM IS NOW DETECTED by that enemy BB.  So, what does he do?  He fires his guns back right away.  This blooms up his detection range, so he's now detected by your teammates.

The shells take 5 seconds to travel 16km, and when they arrive, OOPS! your team has that ship detected.

You, the DD, get ZERO spotting damage. None. Nadda. Zilch.  For all your efforts, you get bupkiss.

Here's another:  You pop radar, and spot a DD for your team.  The DD, knowing he's detected and there's nothing to lose, starts firing his own guns immediately.  Oops. No spotting damage for you.

Another:  you staddle up to an island where you suspect (or know) there's an enemy just on the other side, but he's not detected by anyone.  Either you're inside minimum detection distance, or using hydro, and the enemy knows he's detected.  So, even if at that moment he can't be fired upon, he knows to sit there will be death shortly, so he decides to run.  Running gets him immediately spotted as he leaves cover, and NOW people can shoot at him.  So again, your spotting him gives you NO reward.

That single dynamic, that firing guns blooms detection radius and that as soon as any other ship sees an enemy, spotting damage is negated, eliminates probably close to 90% of all rewards.

The situations go on, and on, and on, all where a rational person would say:  Player X deserves spotting damage because they spotted that ship and kept it under observation, but WoWS denies them ANY reward.

I've spent entire games spotting, with over 100k spotting "damage" (which is extremely rare), and still ended up at the very bottom of the XP reward.  And don't spin the "Winning is its own reward" schtick, because it isn't:  DDs on the other (losing) team that took a more Dakka-Dakka playstyle get significantly more XP even through I get the 50% win bump. 

So, yeah, spotting rewards are completely broken. Especially since it's one of the most important activities any ship can do in the entire game.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this