You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Torpedo Hit Ratio

99 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
7,519 posts
12,226 battles

Hey everyone,

So I was just scrolling through my WoWS profile and stumbled upon my torpedo hit ratio, a stat which I've never really paid much attention to before.  It currently stands at 7.54% after 6200 battles, which seems pretty abysmal at a first glance.

Not that it really matters if that is good or not, but I'm curious to know.......what is your current torpedo hit rate?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
207 posts
7,443 battles

18% for me

I learned on US DD before the range buff a long while ago, so could not miss at those close ranges.

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I'm currently at 7.5% (last I checked), and if I'm not mistaken the server-wide average for the NA server is 6%. That puts you above average.

The longer the range on your torpedoes the lower your score will be (more time for them to be spotted and more time for someone to change course).

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[ARGSY]
Members
15,795 posts
10,672 battles
1 minute ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

if I'm not mistaken the server-wide average for the NA server is 6%.

The trouble with this is that it runs the risk of being distorted by speculative and smoke-clearing spreads, in which high-tier destroyers fire between eight and fifteen into a channel or smoke cloud, with the knowledge that any hits they make are likely to be lucky ones. And let's face it; even the best of us KNOW that at least some of the torps we fire at even the easiest targets are NOT going to hit unless we are either firing on AFK ships at almost zero distance (unsafe if the enemy captain gets back to their keyboard and the ship in question also has torpedoes) or dumping a set at the last second to add to the general devastation of a suicidal ramming attack.

• Cool 2

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The trouble with this is that it runs the risk of being distorted by speculative and smoke-clearing spreads, in which high-tier destroyers fire between eight and fifteen into a channel or smoke cloud, with the knowledge that any hits they make are likely to be lucky ones. And let's face it; even the best of us KNOW that at least some of the torps we fire at even the easiest targets are NOT going to hit unless we are either firing on AFK ships at almost zero distance (unsafe if the enemy captain gets back to their keyboard and the ship in question also has torpedoes) or dumping a set at the last second to add to the general devastation of a suicidal ramming attack.

I wasn't offering an analysis of the stat, simply reporting the stat.

Cruisers and BBs will have the highest hit rates because they launch torps at very close range. Some DD lines have short range torpedoes that will have higher hit rates, others have slower torpedoes which will have lower hit rates. As some one with a LOT of time in DDs, I understand that.

My best hit rate is a ship with 33%, my favorite ship as 9%. It is mostly a useless stat.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,795 posts
10,672 battles
1 minute ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I wasn't offering an analysis of the stat, simply reporting the stat.

True, but stats - particularly benchmarks - need to be understood in their full context. I tend to ignore such, except as a general guide, and concentrate on relative improvements in my own performance.

[KWF]
Members
3,745 posts
5,417 battles

7% for me, but torpedoes don't exist just for hitting their opponents. To me a torpedo salvo is successful too if my opponent shows broadside to escape the torps and gets citted. This is something that no stat can really measure, and while you missed your torps, you helped your team come that much closer to victory. Another example is torping smokes and forcing the enemy DD to leave the cover.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[-AGW-]
Members
948 posts
12,503 battles

9%, but that can be a very misleading stat. Depends if it's DD or CAs. Sometimes I fire a spread into a narrow just because I might get lucky. When I'm in Graf Spee I usually wait until I am very, very close and can't miss.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

11% and surprised it's that high.

A small pro-tip is to pay attention to the time left in a battle whether it's points, the focused last enemy, or literally the time. I still find it all too easy to lose track, and launch a spread that gets nowhere near the target as the battle ends resulting in lowering your hit rate.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,258 posts

This is a meaningless stat if you routinely send out area denial torps. I sat behind an island in a cap most of the game a few minutes ago just keeping a bunch of cruisers and battleships pinned into the map corner with torps. I never hit a single one but none dared come past my island either so all were effectively taken out of the game. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,737 posts
3,895 battles

Around 8% is the server average, and this is considered too high by certain people who don't play ships armed with torpedoes

• Funny 1

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

7%.  I could definitely be a lot better in setting up DD torps, but I agree it is a meaningless global stat, since it depends so much on what you torp with and how you use them.  There are rarely good reasons to shoot at open water; there are plenty of good reasons to torp some area or opening just in case.  Somewhere out there there is a Scharnhorst-only player with like a 50% torpedo hit ratio, purely from drive-bys.