Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GeneralNaruto

A Change in Approach

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
226 posts
5,252 battles

Every time I play and get multiple losses in a row I just get immensely discouraged from playing. Thus I move on to another game come back in a week only to have the same thing happen again and again. Think I just need to let go of the notion of winning all the time and let that win rate number float into the dark abyss and just play for the shenanigans :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,069 posts
6,300 battles

I never look at the win rate, The historical immersion of ships, in a era gone by is my attraction. :cap_look:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
226 posts
5,252 battles
8 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Focus on your actions, not winrate.

Winrate follows actions. Actions don't follow winrate.

As true as this is sometimes your actions are just not enough to tip the scale of "teamwork" :fish_boom:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,557 posts
33,709 battles

I don't focus on stats. Do my best. Derpy teams happen.

When I get into a losing streak, I move to lower Tier (e.g. T4) or Operations, or Coop to get the spirits up. Taking a break works too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,539
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,716 posts
16,330 battles
12 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Focus on your actions, not winrate.

Winrate follows actions. Actions don't follow winrate.

People who become match influencers don't become that way by accident or luck.  They analyze their mistakes, search for answers and practice those new techniques.  The path to success in this game is the SAME AS EVERY OTHER PATH TO SUCCESS ON EARTH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,350
[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
16 minutes ago, GeneralNaruto said:

As true as this is sometimes your actions are just not enough to tip the scale of "teamwork" :fish_boom:

That's why you focus on actions, not winrate.

Edited by enderland07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,422
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,609 posts
17,345 battles

Losing is frustrating.  Losing multiple times in a row, even more frustrating.  I often ameliorate the angst, by looking at my performance.  I use my "top of tier rule".  Add up all the ships with tiers higher than mine, count that number down from the top of the score, and see if I'm in that group.  If I'm in the group, I feel good about my performance...regardless of win or loss.

If I'm not "top of tier", but within 10% of the top player, then that too is considered a good performance.

Also, reconcile the fact that there are some really good players out there.  I'm never going to be that good.  There are some games I can't carry.  There are other games I get carried.  That's just the way it is.

 

Edit: Oh, and don't forget self reflection.  If I fall below tier, I ask myself...could I have done something different.... better.  A day of play doesn't go by where I don't reflect on something I did poorly...or could have done better.  And I sometimes still have those "Oh crap...that was stupid" moments.  It hurts, but only mentally.  Learn from it...try not to do it again.  Over time, I've built up a pretty good "experience" base to guide myself when those situation present themselves in the future.  But every day something happens to adjust that base.

 

 

 

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,539
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,716 posts
16,330 battles
40 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

OP has a 57% win rate and decent stats for a BB main. Sounds like he's trolling.

You are assuming he considers 57% successful.

You are assuming he thinks his stats are decent.

His aim might be 65% overall win rate ( meaning he would need to win at 70% plus to get there ) and dark purple WTR or PR as well.  Success is a different number for every person, what's good or even great for one person is pathetic to another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,770
[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
50 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

People who become match influencers don't become that way by accident or luck.  They analyze their mistakes, search for answers and practice those new techniques.  The path to success in this game is the SAME AS EVERY OTHER PATH TO SUCCESS ON EARTH.

As much as I'm a competitive person and see WoWS as a competitive, team game, it's still a game and ought to be fun.  Good, competitive fun, but still fun.  You make it sound like a job, for crying out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,832
[GWG]
Members
6,722 posts
12,788 battles

I see a lot of great players in operations.

It's a great place to hide from a bad RNG day -- and make a few credits with a 5 star win.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,339
Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
21 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Success is a different number for every person, what's good or even great for one person is pathetic to another.

I can agree with that, my goal each game is to have fun. If it gets to the point it is not then it is time for a break. But my WTR just does not mean that much to me, do I like to win, yes.

But I do not have a fit like some I have seen in game if I do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
150
[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,974 battles

Ever since I got my Nelson, I have been aiming more on individual performance rather on raw WR percentage. With this ship, I can rake in a lot of damage and its kills soon after. At that point, I just want to see how much butt I can kick more than everyone else post-game. :cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,214 battles

I would rather be a good player with bad stats than a bad player with manipulated stats. Just play your best. Ignore there those that tell you stats are important, enjoyment is the only thing that matters. If some body is shaming you because your stats than I find nine times out of ten they are manipulating the system to get their good stats and guickly die in a one on one with a “bad” player that doesn’t. Enjoy your loses and wins and the game stays fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,539
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,716 posts
16,330 battles
53 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As much as I'm a competitive person and see WoWS as a competitive, team game, it's still a game and ought to be fun.  Good, competitive fun, but still fun.  You make it sound like a job, for crying out loud.

Once again, you only see your perspective and how YOU enjoy the game.  Don't assume your enjoyment expectations are the same as everyone elses.  Fun comes in different flavors, I like to do well - but what is well for me is just that - well for me.  I don't own the perspective of what is well for everybody, and I don't say I do.  However becoming successful in any endeavor is the same PROCESS, how much a person is willing to invest in that process is how far they will go in that endeavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

In my experience; I recommend you find a ship that you really enjoy, and for me that is the USS Pensacola; I enjoy playing this ship on my own. If you believe in yourself and know your ship, you can influence the battle; being polite to your team can also get some of them to help your cause so that you can win that game. It also helps a lot if you join and active clan that likes to division, because 3 people can influence a battle in a way that one cannot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,770
[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
19 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Once again, you only see your perspective and how YOU enjoy the game.  Don't assume your enjoyment expectations are the same as everyone elses.  Fun comes in different flavors, I like to do well - but what is well for me is just that - well for me.  I don't own the perspective of what is well for everybody, and I don't say I do.  However becoming successful in any endeavor is the same PROCESS, how much a person is willing to invest in that process is how far they will go in that endeavor.

Sorry, but I disagree.

I think that the first part of your post is in direct contradiction to the second part of your post.  You say that you don't own the perspective of what is well for others and claim to not say that you do.  And then you go on to do EXACTLY that in the final sentence.  You can't have it both ways.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,539
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,716 posts
16,330 battles

Enjoyment is subjective - process not so much.  Not worth arguing over, too busy at my "job".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
226 posts
5,252 battles
4 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

OP has a 57% win rate and decent stats for a BB main. Sounds like he's trolling.

Yea no I use to be 59% but it's been tanking.

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

You are assuming he considers 57% successful.

You are assuming he thinks his stats are decent.

His aim might be 65% overall win rate ( meaning he would need to win at 70% plus to get there ) and dark purple WTR or PR as well.  Success is a different number for every person, what's good or even great for one person is pathetic to another.

Exactly this!!! I always strive to achieve better results, its just my nature to push my skills to their limits. Yet this is my biggest flaw that I'm coming to terms with cause I'm just not having fun anymore in doing this. So i shall become the lemming train I shall do silly/crazy maneuvers, because unless I'm in a tournament there is no longer any need to be as competative as I have been. :cap_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,842
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
4 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

I see a lot of great players in operations.

It's a great place to hide from a bad RNG day -- and make a few credits with a 5 star win.

I have been feeling poorly of late and can't seem to focus long in a Random Match. This however playing operations makes the difference, I still get to blow up ships and not have to stress while doing it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×