You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

MM these days

13 comments in this topic

Members
559 posts
5,394 battles

Not sure if this has been brought up recently, but it seems to have gotten quite bad of late (at least the times I play).  Load into a match, especially at higher tiers and the teams will consist of 5 BBs, 5 DDs, and 2 Cruisers.  Sometimes one BB or Cruiser will be replaced by a CV, but you get the idea.  Rarely do matches have more than 2 Cruisers in them.  My assumption is that this is largely due to the tendency for Cruisers to be deleted, especially at higher tiers and no one wants to play them.  Personally I think Cruiser play can be some of the most fun, so I find myself wondering if perhaps it is time for WG to consider capping the number of ships per type per team in a match.  Pretty sure this is not a new idea, and obviously the numbers could be tweaked, but for example 3-4 BBs, 3 DDs, CV stays at 2.  I can't imagine server pop ever gets low enough that something like this would seriously impact matchmaking times. 

Am I way off base or missing something here?

[PVE]
Members
991 posts
8,100 battles

The french event requires 25 torpedo hits from ships. I think that is why we are seeing so many more DDs than usual.  We'll see what it looks like after the mission is over.

[SALVO]
Members
615 posts
12,941 battles
1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

The french event requires 25 torpedo hits from ships. I think that is why we are seeing so many more DDs than usual.  We'll see what it looks like after the mission is over.

And another one requires citadels, which BB's tend to be pretty good at, and in higher tiers CA's can struggle with due to low number of opposing CA.  

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Not sure if this has been brought up recently, but it seems to have gotten quite bad of late (at least the times I play).  Load into a match, especially at higher tiers and the teams will consist of 5 BBs, 5 DDs, and 2 Cruisers.  Sometimes one BB or Cruiser will be replaced by a CV, but you get the idea.  Rarely do matches have more than 2 Cruisers in them.  My assumption is that this is largely due to the tendency for Cruisers to be deleted, especially at higher tiers and no one wants to play them.  Personally I think Cruiser play can be some of the most fun, so I find myself wondering if perhaps it is time for WG to consider capping the number of ships per type per team in a match.  Pretty sure this is not a new idea, and obviously the numbers could be tweaked, but for example 3-4 BBs, 3 DDs, CV stays at 2.  I can't imagine server pop ever gets low enough that something like this would seriously impact matchmaking times. 

Am I way off base or missing something here?

I see it. 

[12TF]
[12TF]
Members
25 posts
6,913 battles

I was acomplishing sitadels in suiside range cleveland combat, why are bbs so abused? And the cap seems reasonable, even more since frank bbs are being added and japonece dds will sealxlub the area like never before

Members
559 posts
5,394 battles
16 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

15 hours ago, brdhntr said:

And another one requires citadels, which BB's tend to be pretty good at, and in higher tiers CA's can struggle with due to low number of opposing CA.  

I'm sure these are a factor, but it sure seems like this dates back to prior to the start of the event.  Guess we will have to see what it looks like after the event wraps.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,851 battles
17 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

Missed that 25 Torps hits thingy ... guess I gotta bring my DDs out to play ... eh .. so very sorry Poster

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,533 posts
12,810 battles

I like having more DDs in game.  DDs win games. 

Members
559 posts
3,883 battles

OMG MAN I FINALLY GOT A TIER 8 SHIP AFTER 2 WEEKS OF SLOGGING AND I ONLY GET INTO TIER 10 MATCHES WITH IT. IT WOULD BE ALRIGHT IF THAT WAS BALANCED WITH SOME TIER 6 MATCHES BUT NO. I AM ABOUT TO BE DONE WITH THIS PERNICIOUS GARBAGE!!!

• Cool 1

Members
559 posts
3,883 battles

Ok, I had a thought. If I take my tier 8 battleship and div up with a tier 6 ship, will that keep me out of tier 10 games? Or would the hapless tier 6 find itself in a tier 10 game? If this works, and people are already doing it, shame on you scallywags! That's a terrible thing to do! I assume I can't queue for anything if I div up with a tier 5 ship. I've noticed before that when I div up with a ship a tier lower, he can get triple uptiered (and he was triggered and afk'd.) If there's no way to keep my barely upgraded North Carolina out of tier 10 games, at least I'm not wasting any more camo in games where I can't get points. One time I did fairly well, compared to how I usually do, but mostly I get rekt by the first tier 10 that sees a low level battleship to blap. Definitely not wasting any more camo or flags. I'll grind the Iowa the slow way. Also, after losing repeatedly in games that I can't influence in the slightest, I lose motivation to sail around and look for things to shoot. Everyone hits my battleship even if I swerve, it's always on fire, and the last 2 games I did 0 damage to tier 10 battleships in 4 salvos broadside. So yeah, terrible matching, waste of camo/flags, tempted to just exit to port and play the operation while the tier 10 guys have fun.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,596 posts
13,513 battles
2 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

Ok, I had a thought. If I take my tier 8 battleship and div up with a tier 6 ship, will that keep me out of tier 10 games? Or would the hapless tier 6 find itself in a tier 10 game?

The hapless T6 will end up in a T10 game.

Not to mention, you can't even div a T6 with a T8 anymore.

[BOTES]
Members
2,132 posts
7,621 battles

I hope they don't add ship limits. Balancing the number per class per team was important to guarantee that each team is capable of fulfilling essential roles, but I like the variety of games. They don't happen often, but I love matches with 0 BBs. 1-2 has a similar effect as well.

[PVE]
Members
991 posts
8,100 battles
8 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I'm sure these are a factor, but it sure seems like this dates back to prior to the start of the event.  Guess we will have to see what it looks like after the event wraps.

As far as I can remember I pretty much always see 4-5 BBs per round and I don't think anything really changes that but I think I am seeing 5 DDs per round a lot more often since the second part of the French collection missions started.

I may be using a DD right now when I would normally be playing a cruiser or a BB. :Smile_hiding:

I want to move up a DD line a bit and this gives me a reason to switch to that as opposed to moving up a different line.  I am not really set on unlocking the specail French Captain. If I don't get there I won't loose any sleep over it.