You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EFINIDE

Im accusing WG of throttling downloads

30 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
99 battles

This is a very bold statement i know, and before anyone tries to be all "I know more than you" in the comments of this and tries to say that i'm wrong because Megabytes and Megabits are a thing. I know the difference, i have been studying and working in IT for 5 years now. Anyway, to my point... I will open up my launcher and begin updating the game, it will kick into gear and go to the expected 3.5-4.0MB/s download, then, slowly it will trickle down at 0.1MB/s until it reaches 1MB/s and then sits there, doesnt go down anymore, doesn't go up anymore, just sits there. Before people say "Oh, you must have deliberately throttled the download in the settings, change it back" i haven't, and to be sure, i have set the max speed to 25MB/s and left it, and believe it or not, it will run worse when i do this, around 900KB/s. so unless someone has a logical explanation for this, i will continue to accuse WG of download throttling.

P.S. Apologies if this statement came across forceful and borderline aggressive, i am a little annoyed that i wont get to spend time playing this game for a while as i will have to wait up to 4x longer to play the game.

• Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
6,454 posts
5,168 battles
4 minutes ago, EFINIDE said:

Im accusing WG of throttling downloads

This is...bad?

[REVY]
Members
6,454 posts
5,168 battles
1 minute ago, EFINIDE said:

are you trying to say its good?

What's the conspiracy here?  That WGing doesn't want people to play World of Warships?  That it wants it's players to have longer downtimes?  

Edited by Sventex

Members
4 posts
99 battles

Does there have to be a conspiracy? well, if you are desperate, i can think of one.

It means they wouldn't have to spend so much maintaining high speed connection to the download servers, thus saving them a bunch of money at the cost of a large amount of the players time.

There, one freshly brewed conspiracy.

And to the contrary of this conspiracy, maintaining a high speed connection is expensive, especially for an always on server that can be accessed by anyone world wide. so i could simply be that they cannot afford to have such a high speed connection, but if this is the case, i would much prefer them to be truthful about the fact, rather than to just be hiding it as much as possible.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
20 minutes ago, EFINIDE said:

This is a very bold statement i know, and before anyone tries to be all "I know more than you" in the comments of this and tries to say that i'm wrong because Megabytes and Megabits are a thing. I know the difference, i have been studying and working in IT for 5 years now. Anyway, to my point... I will open up my launcher and begin updating the game, it will kick into gear and go to the expected 3.5-4.0MB/s download, then, slowly it will trickle down at 0.1MB/s until it reaches 1MB/s and then sits there, doesnt go down anymore, doesn't go up anymore, just sits there. Before people say "Oh, you must have deliberately throttled the download in the settings, change it back" i haven't, and to be sure, i have set the max speed to 25MB/s and left it, and believe it or not, it will run worse when i do this, around 900KB/s. so unless someone has a logical explanation for this, i will continue to accuse WG of download throttling.

P.S. Apologies if this statement came across forceful and borderline aggressive, i am a little annoyed that i wont get to spend time playing this game for a while as i will have to wait up to 4x longer to play the game.

What is happening is that the download manager is being slowed by going out and looking for packets on other systems. Some low-bandwidth connections or overloaded home networks don't handle torrents well. Uncheck the Enable Update Seeding box and your downloads will speed considerably. Open the main client, go to Settings > Update and uncheck the box marked "Enable Update Seeding."

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
11,257 posts
21,642 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

What is happening is that you have the torrent box checked and the download manager is being slowed by going out and looking for packets on other systems. Uncheck the box and your downloads will speed considerably. Go to Settings > Update and uncheck the box marked "Enable Update Seeding."

FWIW that option does not exist for me

Members
4 posts
99 battles

well... let me eat my words because i seem to be a massive idiot, and i am glad to admit it. I was really hoping my accusations were wrong, and thankfully they are. Thank you @Snargfargle, i had looked for something to do with torrenting, but was close minded and looked for only "Torrent", rather than anything related with it.

• Cool 4

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
11,969 battles

Just tick no uploading, same thing.

BTW unless you don't use your connection for anything else while downloading, you do want to limit the download speed as while it is updating at max it slams your internet connection and makes it virtually unusable for anything else till the update is finished.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
33 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Just tick no uploading, same thing.

BTW unless you don't use your connection for anything else while downloading, you do want to limit the download speed as while it is updating at max it slams your internet connection and makes it virtually unusable for anything else till the update is finished.

That has been my experience. The download will take all 100+ mbps until the download is done. Good thing that we have fiber, so that 100+ is consistent and fast.

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,688 battles

What would be the point and what would WG get from doing that ? :fish_panic:Excuse me for a minute while i go and by some download premium time 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF4]
Members
446 posts
6,644 battles

I get download speeds of 10-15 Mb per second, you probably just have had internet. I know it sucks but you got to just live with it. My ISP has total monopoly on my area, it’s very fast but it’s Comcast, not exactly the best customer relations...

[MARE]
Members
381 posts
11,337 battles

Wow OP, someone was... nice and helpful? AND fixed your problem? I didn't foresee this... and my D/L is only 200 KB/S :cap_win: (Though I know for a fact it's my super crappy ISP)

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,617 posts
19,297 battles

Strange thing.

The game launcher beta doesn't have that option...

[YORHA]
Members
4,802 posts
9,468 battles
2 hours ago, CanuckTheCanadianGoose said:

You claim to be doing IT for 5 years yet you couldnt google the problem? 

51 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

My downloads................download. I don't know if I can take much more of it. :Smile_amazed:

Is this the IT you work in?

https://goo.gl/images/YZdknN

The guy admitted his error and apologised (which is a helluva lot more than most of the doofuses around here do).  Is there really a need for snark?

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

The guy admitted his error and apologised (which is a helluva lot more than most of the doofuses around here do).  Is there really a need for snark?

Good natured ribbing...try a less serious outlook on life. Cheers