Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Time for a new Premium Commonwealth Cruiser

14 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
416 posts
7,956 battles
We have plenty of new cruisers of other nations and major navies, time for a new Commonwealth Cruiser to be added.
I would like to see a tier 7 Commonwealth premium heavy cruiser like the  HMAS Canberra, a Royal Australian Navy (RAN) heavy cruiser of the Kent sub-class of County-class cruisers
Built prewar due to the constraints of the washington treaty but she is no lightweight.
Armament
Primary

4 × 2 – 8-inch (203 mm) guns (4 twin turrets) The 50 calibre BL 8 inch gun Mark VIII  could fire 5 rounds a minute ( 1 round every 12 seconds, faster than a Pensicola) These are less than pocket battleship guns and more than a typical light cruiser so more uptier than a perth leander for instance.  Same calibre as a Pensicola at Tier 7.  Less guns than a Pensicola but a faster refire rate.

Anti Air
    4 × 1 – 4-inch (102 mm) anti-aircraft guns
    4 × 1 – 2-pounder (40 mm) quadruple pom-poms
    4 × 1 – 3-pounder (47 mm) saluting guns
    12–16 .303-inch machine guns
    4 × multiple pom-poms (installed 1942)
    5 × 1 – 20 mm Oerlikon guns

Torps
    2 × 4 – 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes

Armor

Similar to the pensicola

Also had a walrus float plane for recon that dropped bombs ( so a unique aspect of this plane could be that it drops AP bombs ? )

She was a war veteran with Battle honours:

East Indies 1940–41, Pacific 1941–42, Guadacanal 1942
Savo Island 1942 and sunk on savo island battle.

This is a ship I know I would pay money for and is definitely a kick [edited]ship even though it is very squishy but it depends on how WG models it, and after all the bleating about cruisers give them something to chew on.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
11,161 battles

No.....you meant to say you really wanted a new Russian OP science fiction paper cruiser.....then you'd get your wish. You want a historic ship???? NO SHIP FOR YOU!!

Members
2,631 posts
7,876 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:
We have plenty of new cruisers of other nations and major navies, time for a new Commonwealth Cruiser to be added.
I would like to see a tier 7 Commonwealth premium heavy cruiser like the  HMAS Canberra, a Royal Australian Navy (RAN) heavy cruiser of the Kent sub-class of County-class cruisers
Built prewar due to the constraints of the washington treaty but she is no lightweight.
Armament
Primary

4 × 2 – 8-inch (203 mm) guns (4 twin turrets) The 50 calibre BL 8 inch gun Mark VIII  could fire 5 rounds a minute ( 1 round every 12 seconds, faster than a Pensicola) These are less than pocket battleship guns and more than a typical light cruiser so more uptier than a perth leander for instance.  Same calibre as a Pensicola at Tier 7.  Less guns than a Pensicola but a faster refire rate.

Anti Air
    4 × 1 – 4-inch (102 mm) anti-aircraft guns
    4 × 1 – 2-pounder (40 mm) quadruple pom-poms
    4 × 1 – 3-pounder (47 mm) saluting guns
    12–16 .303-inch machine guns
    4 × multiple pom-poms (installed 1942)
    5 × 1 – 20 mm Oerlikon guns

Torps
    2 × 4 – 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes

Armor

Similar to the pensicola

Also had a walrus float plane for recon that dropped bombs ( so a unique aspect of this plane could be that it drops AP bombs ? )

She was a war veteran with Battle honours:

East Indies 1940–41, Pacific 1941–42, Guadacanal 1942
Savo Island 1942 and sunk on savo island battle.

This is a ship I know I would pay money for and is definitely a kick [edited]ship even though it is very squishy but it depends on how WG models it, and after all the bleating about cruisers give them something to chew on.

Personally I'd want to see HMAS Australia II But I'd settle for HMAS Canberra if it meant having another Australian ship in my port. Also: Commander Rankin or Emile Dechaineux Legendary commanders when

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,541 posts
18,067 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

Same calibre as a Pensicola at Tier 7.

Pensacola is getting dropped to tier 6, and has 10 x 8" guns, not 8 x 8". Having said that, I'd love to see a County class cruiser in the game; at tier 6 like Pepsi will be.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
416 posts
7,956 battles
1 hour ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Personally I'd want to see HMAS Australia II But I'd settle for HMAS Canberra if it meant having another Australian ship in my port. Also: Commander Rankin or Emile Dechaineux Legendary commanders when

HMAS Australia II is the same ship and class as the Canberra

Members
2,631 posts
7,876 battles
15 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

HMAS Australia II is the same ship and class as the Canberra

I know, hence why I'd prefer Australia II of the two given we'd only ever get one

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
416 posts
7,956 battles

HMAS  Australia I was a The Indefatigable class and were a british battle cruiser for the Royal Australian Navy.  it was a bit ancient for tier 3

[4HIM]
Members
2,816 posts
9,925 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

Pensacola is getting dropped to tier 6, and has 10 x 8" guns, not 8 x 8". Having said that, I'd love to see a County class cruiser in the game; at tier 6 like Pepsi will be.

But Commonwealth already has a T6 in the Perth.  So far they have the T3 Vampire and the T6 Perth.  Whatever they introduce would need to be in other tiers.  

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

It would be pretty neat to have some Australian ships in the game. What was their navy like? I don't know much about them, but they sound really interesting! 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,246 posts
13,032 battles
23 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

A Kent subclass may struggle at T7, although most were rebuilt with a 114mm belt, unlike some County class ships which had a 25mm plate to protect the machinery, I believe Canberra is the exception to that, meaning she'll be vulnerable to HE citadels from heavy cruisers and IFHE equipped light cruisers and destroyers - not an attractive in-game feature. Unless they adjust that significantly (or I'm wrong) it's probably fatal. I don't think she had the twin 4in HA gun upgrade either, and her AA should be very, very weak as a result - 10 or so DPS at T7. The County's are large slab-sided targets with very little going for them in-game.

At T6 she'd still be badly flawed but would at least have something going for her in HP and firepower-ish.

21 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

HMAS  Australia I was a The Indefatigable class and were a british battle cruiser for the Royal Australian Navy.  it was a bit ancient for tier 3

The Indefatigable class a contemporary of the T3 Bellerophon, age isn't an issue but I think combat capability will be. The Indefatigable class gave up a lot for not that impressive speed.

I don't know if the Battlecruiser Australia, or the County Class cruiser Australia has a better claim on the name.

11 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

It would be pretty neat to have some Australian ships in the game. What was their navy like? I don't know much about them, but they sound really interesting! 

Well, we have two already, although WG call them 'Commonwealth' in game.

To briefly summarize the Royal Australian Navy in WWII, it was highly similar to the Royal Navy in structure, doctrine, ranks and tradition and entirely similar in equipment using 99% British built and designed weapons, ships and aircraft. Ships included for instance the Amphion sub-class of Leander class cruisers, the County class (of which Canberra was one), V&W class destroyers (of which in-game T3 Vampire is one) and a range of other destroyers including Q, N class, Tribal class, Daring class etc. In it's earlier years the two services were very closely meshed - the first two Captains of Canberra for instance were both RN, rather than RAN officers, and some of her other crew were RN rather than RAN. The RAN predominantly operated smaller ships, a handful of cruisers were the largest after the retirement of the Battlecruiser Australia and until early post-war acquisition of an Aircraft Carrier.

The RAN worked very closely with and frequently in squadrons with RN ships, for instance HMAS Perth operated alongside RN cruisers in the Mediterranean, the RAN was frequently under RN control. In addition to operating with them, they frequently undertook area patrol missions, which would result in the mutually destructive engagement of HMAS Sydney and HSK Kormoran, a German commerce raider, and also operated extensively alongside the USN in the war in the Pacific including the Canberra being lost at the battle of Savo Island.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
8 hours ago, mofton said:

A Kent subclass may struggle at T7, although most were rebuilt with a 114mm belt, unlike some County class ships which had a 25mm plate to protect the machinery, I believe Canberra is the exception to that, meaning she'll be vulnerable to HE citadels from heavy cruisers and IFHE equipped light cruisers and destroyers - not an attractive in-game feature. Unless they adjust that significantly (or I'm wrong) it's probably fatal. I don't think she had the twin 4in HA gun upgrade either, and her AA should be very, very weak as a result - 10 or so DPS at T7. The County's are large slab-sided targets with very little going for them in-game.

At T6 she'd still be badly flawed but would at least have something going for her in HP and firepower-ish.

The Indefatigable class a contemporary of the T3 Bellerophon, age isn't an issue but I think combat capability will be. The Indefatigable class gave up a lot for not that impressive speed.

I don't know if the Battlecruiser Australia, or the County Class cruiser Australia has a better claim on the name.

Well, we have two already, although WG call them 'Commonwealth' in game.

To briefly summarize the Royal Australian Navy in WWII, it was highly similar to the Royal Navy in structure, doctrine, ranks and tradition and entirely similar in equipment using 99% British built and designed weapons, ships and aircraft. Ships included for instance the Amphion sub-class of Leander class cruisers, the County class (of which Canberra was one), V&W class destroyers (of which in-game T3 Vampire is one) and a range of other destroyers including Q, N class, Tribal class, Daring class etc. In it's earlier years the two services were very closely meshed - the first two Captains of Canberra for instance were both RN, rather than RAN officers, and some of her other crew were RN rather than RAN. The RAN predominantly operated smaller ships, a handful of cruisers were the largest after the retirement of the Battlecruiser Australia and until early post-war acquisition of an Aircraft Carrier.

The RAN worked very closely with and frequently in squadrons with RN ships, for instance HMAS Perth operated alongside RN cruisers in the Mediterranean, the RAN was frequently under RN control. In addition to operating with them, they frequently undertook area patrol missions, which would result in the mutually destructive engagement of HMAS Sydney and HSK Kormoran, a German commerce raider, and also operated extensively alongside the USN in the war in the Pacific including the Canberra being lost at the battle of Savo Island.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this with me!

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
416 posts
7,956 battles

yes it would be vulnerable to citadels, in similar vein as a pensacola,  but with smoke as other cruisers of that line it could be a good ship. but i understand that the pensacola is being dropped to tier 6 ?

Edited by DevilD0g

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
416 posts
7,956 battles
On 2/21/2018 at 5:28 AM, WolfofWarship said:

From wiki on Royal Australian Navy. "Early in the Second World War, RAN ships again operated as part of Royal Navy formations, many serving with distinction in the Mediterranean, the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf, the Indian Ocean, and off the West African coast. Following the outbreak of the Pacific War and the virtual destruction of British naval forces in south-east Asia, the RAN operated more independently, or as part of United States Navy formations. As the navy took on an even greater role, it was expanded significantly and at its height the RAN was the fourth-largest navy in the world, with 39,650 personnel operating 337 warships. A total of 34 vessels were lost during the war, including three cruisers and four destroyers.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this