Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Patience is a Virtue!

9 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,606 posts
17,341 battles

And it helps your win rate in WOWS too!!!!

Two games today...up on caps...up on points...up on ships.  All we have to do is concentrate and defend...make them come to us.  But NOooooo....everyone wants to charge into the enemy...ONE AT A TIME....an enemy that is happy to oblige with concentrated fire...one killed...two killed...three killed.  Five minutes later...down on caps...down on points...down on ship...game over.

We've talked about tactical focus vision...where someone focuses on one target and loses vision on the battle at large.  This is strategic focus vision...where someone doesn't recognize a game is won as long as he/she doesn't lemming into the waiting guns of the enemy.  The defeated enemy has PATIENCE to wait.  Let the winning enemy come to them.  Patience..as the winning team loses ship after ship.  Then the once defeated enemy, can leisurely advance...mopping up ships and taking the caps.

I'm not talking about getting passive on defense.  There are still offensive opportunities.  But not into a still lethal defending force capable...with a few kills...of turning the game.  Sometimes when you're winning...up on caps..up on ships...up on points....PATIENCE is the key.  Strategic patience wins games.

• Cool 2

[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,964 battles

Patience is important to a good WR. But tell that to the sub 45% WR tomatoes that yell at their teammates for not "capping". :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
1,257 posts
7,142 battles

The issue is wins aren't really where the credit and experience rewards are. Yes I know winning does give a boost to earnings but a win in which you did very little isn't rewarding and often quite punishing. So players are encouraged to do stupid things like risk a sure win by overextending to chase after a beaten enemy. Which in turn encourages the beaten enemy to do the stupid thing (run away) when they should be trying to salvage the game. It's a vicious cycle. 

The only way to fix this behavior is to make winning extremely valuable by itself which I don't see WG doing. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

Members
63 posts
239 battles

Had a pretty close match that was won by patience earlier, thanks to a La Galissonnière with 36 hp telling me and an allied BB to cool our jets. 3 on 1, but I was in a Nurnberg with less than half hp, a french cruiser that would spontaneously combust if you breathed at it, and a half hp french BB vs a pretty healthy Bayern that was taking our C cap and had a good position on us. We had all three caps to that point but were still down points, so we thought rushing the Bayern was the only way to win. Luckily enough, we pulled back and ran the clock down with a score win while all chat filled with some banter. Had we rushed in, we probably would've lost the match.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, Rocketpacman said:

The issue is wins aren't really where the credit and experience rewards are. Yes I know winning does give a boost to earnings but a win in which you did very little isn't rewarding and often quite punishing. So players are encouraged to do stupid things like risk a sure win by overextending to chase after a beaten enemy. Which in turn encourages the beaten enemy to do the stupid thing (run away) when they should be trying to salvage the game. It's a vicious cycle. 

The only way to fix this behavior is to make winning extremely valuable by itself which I don't see WG doing. 

I agree that the best way to encourage people to play to win would be to enhance the XP and credit rewards for winning.  But I don't know one way or the other whether WG would be willing to do this.

On a related side note, I don't know if it would help encourage players who are already "play for fun" types, who only care about shooting up ships and not about winning, to change their ways and play to win.  Also, I'm not so sure that I agree with your opening paragraph.  I see the credit and XP benefits of winning quite clearly.  And I feel certain that the play for fun types know this as well.  The difference is that they don't care, rather than thinking that more damage in a loss is better for rewards than less damage in a win.  And if that's the case, I don't see how further increasing the difference in rewards between winning and losing will change those players when they already don't care about winning, many saying so openly.

Sign in to follow this