Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

What has the poor old Minekaze actually have going for it?

14 comments in this topic

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles

The general consensus in the game is this ship has been nerf batted to death and is but a shadow of its former self:( I'm trying to persevere with it but my old WR which used to be around 60% 12 months ago is now hovering around the 30% mark.

I find it extremely frustrating to play but some kind of stupid sentimental value keeps making me try it 'one more time'. Usually with comical results.

The positives I can gather from this ship are...

• It has decent stealth abilities
  • Its quick and manoeuvrable
  • Torp reload is good

The negatives are....

• Utterly terrible guns, no power, no speed, battleship rotation speed. snow flake shells, highly inaccurate even at close range, too slow to hit fast moving DD's at close range..
  • Torps are slow and easily dodged except by the slowest targets
  • The modules and armour are awful, the boat gets crippled with every hit
  • Torps don't hit hard most of the time, I double hit a Mahan the other week and he still managed to escape (and a few shell hits..)
  • MM seems to put it constantly on the most brain dead, noob infested, idiot teams, whereas the opposition team always seems Godlike in their tactics and teamwork.

I can jump into the Isokaze, a similar spec DD and have a great game, do a lot of damage, sink a few ships and cap a few points. Switch to the Minekaze and get spotted before I'm near a cap then shelled to death by the enemy teams railguns.

Is there any hope of this boat ever returning to its glory days or am I just wasting my time?

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,815 posts
4,346 battles
5 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Is there any hope of this boat ever returning to its glory days or am I just wasting my time?

Never again, comrade. Is balanced now. To be fair, she did kind of need the nerf, alongside Isokaze. At least the Kamikaze sisters still provide that old fun (for those who have one or all 3).

Fubuki though, really needs a return to her old glory.

As far as the IJN DD lines go in general, an ahistorical buff to traverse would be a reasonable one, not enough to turn them into gunships (they'd need an RoF buff for that), but better than what they are currently, as all or nothing torpedo boats.

Edited by YamatoA150

[WOLF4]
Members
437 posts
5,716 battles

I have the minekaze and wasn’t able to play her before they nerfed it, and I don’t have any of the kamikaze types. The minekaze I have is a lot of fun and can be very powerful, but only in certain games. It’s just so inconsistent. I had a game where I did 183k dmg, landed 23 torps, and killed 4 players; and in the next game I didn’t land a single torpedo and was deleted in the first 5 minutes. I like the minekaze but it needs some buffs to its torpedoes. Not as insane as the kamikaze types but def better than what we have now. 

Members
620 posts
2,193 battles
4 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

its a good Starter boat

Well its tier5, hardly a starter boat.

Just wish they'd do something with its terrible guns.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, LunchCutter said:

Well its tier5, hardly a starter boat.

Just wish they'd do something with its terrible guns.

Tier 5 is where the real game starts so yes it is a good starter boat

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles

Let's compare Isokaze with Minekeze, shall we?

Minekaze has faster shells

Isokaze has faster turret traverse (!)

Minekaze has a faster reload (for what it's worth...)

Isokaze *might* have better dispersion

Isokaze has more range (really a downside because gun bloom)

Minekaze has more AA (but is still the second worst tier 5 destroyer in terms of AA)

Minekaze is way faster

Isokaze is stealthier by 100m

Isokaze has a smaller turning circle

Minekaze has a faster rudder shift

Minekaze has 600 more HP (but destroyer guns start upgrading from 102 and 105mm guns to 127 and 130mm guns)

Literally exact same torpedoes

Minekaze should have 360 degrees of traverse on A turret though

Just from eyeballing the stats Minekaze doesn't look like much more than a much faster Isokaze that has to fight tier sevens.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,487 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Given the details you provided, I think you are wasting your time. Played and enjoyed a lot of games in Minekaze and Isokaze and even Mutsuki (976 games between the three ships) before the changes to the IJN DD line (which included some significant nerfs to Isokaze and Minekaze). Since then, sold them both and moved on.  It does get better at higher tiers, imo, but it's a long grind. And the best mid-tier ship imo (Shiratsuyu) was also later clubbed with the nerf bat, taking some of the fun out of that ship also. I still play Akatsuki, Akizuki, Yugumo, Shimakaze and the Premium Shinonome and Kamikaze. But all the others... not so much.

Respects,

Am

[SYN]
Members
5,470 posts
12,704 battles

Devs went too far and murdered most of the IJN DDs.  A line of ships that just isn't worth the frustration you have to endure to play through.

There are a couple of gems to be had, but I just don't have the patience for it.  Not when there are far better DD lines to grind through.

At least most of the Japanese cruisers and battleships are still fabulous.

Members
1,050 posts
4,789 battles

Bought Fujin the moment I heard about incoming nerfs, the only time, for now, that I spent real money. Probably the only ship that I do not mind being up-tiered in.

Looking at the line now, mutsuki is a better choice as T5, still a grind though

[POP]
Members
2,249 posts
19,687 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

The general consensus in the game is this ship has been nerf batted to death and is but a shadow of its former self:( I'm trying to persevere with it but my old WR which used to be around 60% 12 months ago is now hovering around the 30% mark.

I find it extremely frustrating to play but some kind of stupid sentimental value keeps making me try it 'one more time'. Usually with comical results.

The positives I can gather from this ship are...

• It has decent stealth abilities
  • Its quick and manoeuvrable
  • Torp reload is good

The negatives are....

• Utterly terrible guns, no power, no speed, battleship rotation speed. snow flake shells, highly inaccurate even at close range, too slow to hit fast moving DD's at close range..
  • Torps are slow and easily dodged except by the slowest targets
  • The modules and armour are awful, the boat gets crippled with every hit
  • Torps don't hit hard most of the time, I double hit a Mahan the other week and he still managed to escape (and a few shell hits..)
  • MM seems to put it constantly on the most brain dead, noob infested, idiot teams, whereas the opposition team always seems Godlike in their tactics and teamwork.

I can jump into the Isokaze, a similar spec DD and have a great game, do a lot of damage, sink a few ships and cap a few points. Switch to the Minekaze and get spotted before I'm near a cap then shelled to death by the enemy teams railguns.

This

You are exactly right i keep playing it the vain hope it will work but it just wont couple with bad teams its a recipe for disaster.

I can move to the next tier DD but i keep coming back to this thing and its starting to wear thin.

Played  5 games in it over the 48 hours of gaming  lost 4 in a row and still did some considerable damage to ships however you have to aim your torps  to left hand side of the map to hit a ship on the right hand side as the torpedo tracking indicator is a waste of time.

No matter how hard you carry in that ship its just not enough i also agree for some reason Isokaze works better.

Plus 1 for speaking the truth:Smile_honoring:

regards 

Edited by tm63au

[R-R-R]
Members
1,031 posts
9,306 battles

Even in current form she is a very good ship at T5

With 39knots + 5.4km concealment, there is no hope of any ship outside of a carrier or a radar cruiser can really spot you.

The torpedo speed and damage got nerfed. But the reload and range did not. They also become more stealthy so the reaction time is about the same as the old ones.

The gameplay is basically keeping enemy ships spot and torping with that super low CD. She is extremely hard to counter in most situations.

Edited by Exciton8964

Sign in to follow this