You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

My view of war!

12 comments in this topic

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,026 posts

My real life view of war has become more cynical for three reasons...

1) I'm 57.5 years old!

2) I have lung cancer

3) I started playing WoW!

Here is what I think... in the real world, lives do not matter. You can build the worlds biggest battleship or aircraft carrier for a few billion dollars...

Or.... a few million to build a cheap destroyer whose job is to sink the carrier... but the success of the destroyer is based on how many kills it gets before the destroyer itself is sunk... and you know it will be... but if that little destroyer can sink ships which total more than the cost of the destroyer... then success.

Sailors don't figure into the equation. Life is cheap. Its like during the Cold War, U.S. Generals would say that if there was a nuclear war, it might result in 20% of the population being killed....

They said they could live with those losses..... to me, yeah, unless you're one of the 20% that got killed.

As much as I love WoW as a game, the reality is that war is stupid, its only those profiting from war that are happiest.

How many Albert Einstein's or Stephen Hawkings have been killed while still children because of war?

You could also argue that a few Hitler types would have been killed as well, but I'm guessing that most people are GOOD at heart.

Maybe one day this planet will grow up... but I think by then, it will be far too late. :(

[WOLF1]
Members
623 posts
13,226 battles
25 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

1) I'm 57.5 years old!

2) I have lung cancer

3) I started playing WoW!

I would worry more about how you spend the rest of your time on this earth than things that you or I cannot control.  History will repeat itself not much can be done about that and also has a tendency to be violent.  I hope you can still get around well and if you can get out there and see things you haven't before, just my two cents.  Life is to short as im sure you are aware of at this point, best of luck.

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,026 posts

Easy to see you are healthy. Yo think about things like this more at times like this.

I have cancer, I'm not brain dead... thinking about things keeps you young and prevents dementia. :)

I'm taking a gene therapy pill which will extend my life.

Members
4,221 posts
9,697 battles

"It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it." - R.E. Lee

I am fond of it, as in soaking up the history of it my entire life. But I thank the goddess I never had to fight in one (I welcomed thousands of draft dodgers up here in my time). Men in particular come from an evolutionary period of 300,000 years + of violent struggle. Bringing down large game with sharpened staves involved a very high mortality rate... this too is "war." You don't shake off those instincts in a mere few thousand years of "modern civilisation." So we act out those instincts here rather harmlessly.

Relax and have fun. Burn off those killer instincts and be saved brother.

[GWG]
Members
6,708 posts
12,763 battles

If, during World War 2, any one of these T6+ random battles would be fought....   It would be an political catastrophe.

Each battleship/Carrier sunk == 2,000-3,000 young men lost to their grieving parents.

Each Cruiser == 600-900

Each Destroyer == 200-500

Add it all up and one battle could kill/wound at least 15,000 young men.....   PER SIDE.

But this is a game.

Unlike real life, nobody dies at the end.  And even if they lose, they still get something.

But this game does something to the soul.  It brings out your fighting impulses.  Those impulses are also VERY important in your fight with Cancer.

It is said you never live until you've had to fight to keep that life.  Keep fighting.

I'll look for you in battle.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
12 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

The leaders of a country oftentimes have to use many psychological tricks to get their young men fired up enough to kill another country's young men. Some wars are just; every human and every country has a right to defend itself from aggression. Others are not. This is one reason we try to give our youth a broad educational background; so they can determine what's right and what's wrong for themselves.

Like it or not, war is part of the history of all nations. The history of the US is a history of war. There has not been a decade in American history in which it has not been involved on some conflict, somewhere. A nation must fight to defend itself and its best interests. Nations are extensions of the people who form them. A person also has the right to protect his or her own best interests. A person's body itself is in a constant battle with things that would destroy it. If one's immune system surrenders or is overwhelmed one usually dies. 

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,026 posts

Taking it a step further.... the London Treaty and then the Washington Treaty saw reductions in tonnage allowed...

so the leaders built floating death traps... ships with the same number of guns but no amour... my point in the first post is that war is all about money. Even the Cold War was about money and in the end, the USSR collapsed because they couldn't compete anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a history buff, always have been, especially war history and in particular, Naval war history. Its always been known that there are those that profit from war, and for those that do it for the right reasons, its patriotic, I suppose, but then you have the ones that only care about money, keeping the cost of a warship down by using aluminium in its construction to make it lighter, andit burns good.... too good, as the British found out in the Falklands war. The outcry was such that they ended up removing all aluminium (or a lot of it) from its warships. Turns out they were warned this might be a problem if a fire broke out. They kept that bit secret.

I am all for a nation defending itself... or being prepared for war, December 7th, 1941 taught the whole world that lesson. But unless you do your best to protect your own people, then its pointless really... It was Donald Rumsfeld that said you fight a war with the army you have, not the the army you want. That is true, but what he did was criminal, buying Humvees and converting them to army work but NOT adding any armour...

The idea is to kill the opposition, not your own team. :(

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles

I always thought before any countries go to war - the two (or more) Leaders should have to battle each other in an Cage Match - no weapons/no rules, maybe then they would be a little less likely to rattle/use their sabers of war.:cap_like:  

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Modern war is simply too expensive to comprehend. I think we might see more small/medium-scale affairs (like in Korea), but an actual, non-proxy-fight conflict between two or more of the powers would almost certainly escalate to a nuclear confrontation. Even if this didn't, for some reason, destroy the civilized world outright, then the victor's infrastructure would be so badly damaged that I cannot comprehend it not leading to a breakup of the country (China, Russia and the U.S. all have regions that already wish to go their own way), concurrent with widespread famine, cancer deaths, unrest, etc.

In a nutshell, we fight wars to win. If everyone loses - if there is no other result than everyone losing - we can't fight wars.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
53 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Modern war is simply too expensive to comprehend.

There are quite a few "Daddy Warbucks" making a killing selling arms. While certain US politicians decry countries who "promote conflict" by selling arms, the US is by far the largests weapons dealing country in the world.

That said, it's better to be on top than not and war machines have driven civilian progress throughout the ages. Da Vinci was mostly hired, not as a painter and sculptor, but as a military architect and engineer.

Edited by Snargfargle

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

There are quite a few "Daddy Warbucks" making a killing selling arms. While certain US politicians decry countries who "promote conflict" by selling arms, the US is by far the largests weapons dealing country in the world.

That said, it's better to be on top than not and war machines have driven civilian progress throughout the ages. Da Vinci was mostly hired, not as a painter and sculptor, but as a military architect and engineer.

Okay, none of that has anything to do with the fact that a modern war between two or more first-rate superpowers is going to result in a holocaust, if not global extinction.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
23 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Okay, none of that has anything to do with the fact that a modern war between two or more first-rate superpowers is going to result in a holocaust, if not global extinction.

Yes it does. There is not going to be an all-out nuclear war, just proxy wars for the reason I stated -- small wars are profitable, global nuclear war not so much.