Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ikolbyi

Benson - 3 Captain points - best choice?

8 comments in this topic

[USNR]
Members
18 posts
8,373 battles

I own a Benson (Hull C)  and unsure what to use my 3 captain points on, my choices:

*  Torpedo armament  (reduces torpedo reload time from 122s to 110s)

OR

* Basic firing training (increases my AA from 35 to 38 and reduces artillery load time from 3.3s to 2.9s)

I already have: priority targets (1), smoke screen expert (2), Vigilance (3),  Concealment expert (4), and Radio location (4)

My issues in current configuration are the long torpedo reload times, takes me out of the battle for considerable amount of time or torpedoes are never available when I actually need them.  Second issue I have is loosing turret #5 means I can't place enough shells on the target especially when engaging a DD at close range and any match that involves a CV I'm quickly sunk with limited damage to planes.

Thoughts on best bang for buck?

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

A bit surprised that you're opting out of LS especially on a DD. 

If you're looking to increase you damage potential, you might want to consider dropping Vigilance for SI. That was you've got an extra smoke charge for additional open water smoke firing. 

Also, if if you're looking for reload buffs might want to look into picking up AR. While it is more late game rather than early, it also stacks with BFT and TAE. 

I'm not entirely sure on how you use RDF within your playstyle, but if CVs are an issue AFT and/or BFT will help you a little bit when there's planes over head. 

[USNR]
Members
18 posts
8,373 battles

Thank you Ivlerlin for the reply,

I have 'Vigilance' for one reason only: the Benson does not have sonar and I've been caught too many times with a hail of enemy torpedoes with little to no notice - before obtaining it. 

Regarding 'Radio Detection', I use it almost all the time to figure out how to position myself for an attack, extremely useful when navigating around islands. 

Regarding LS, adding a 3rd smoke to me has little advantage for 1 simple reason: radar.  It seems lately every match I play has at least 1 if not 2-3 ships with radar.  Smoke is useless against these ships and that is the #1 reason why I sink.  So I had to adapt my game play and forget the smoke.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,066 posts
3,324 battles

Last stand. The little I've played DDs you lose rudder and engine a lot, LS is pretty much required on all DDs. I'd put the points in LS. Put the extra one into preventative maintenance.

I get why you want Vigilance, but it's not that great, especially on DDs. You should be able to have an idea of when torps are incoming, and DDs can dodge a heck of a lot easier than BBs. IMO Superintendent or BFT is a better use of those 3 points.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Most people stick with the B hull on Benson for exactly the reason you mentioned--it's better to have that extra gun which you'll use constantly vs. having a bit more AA which you'll use rarely.

I'm not sure about your current commander set-up at all.  It looks like you've spec'd your Benson as a pure support ship, but that's not generally the best direction to go for Random battles.  Benson is an outstanding weapon which is capable of wrecking most same tier DDs as well as putting a hurt on larger ships with a combination of guns & torps.  Most recommended builds stress those qualities: Preventative Maintenance to reduce the chance of having your modules knocked out in gunfights, Last Stand so you're not completely screwed every time your engine/rudder gets knocked out, and either Survivability Expert or Basic Firing Training as the first 3-point skill (for the HP & DPM increases, respectively).  Vigilance is usually regarded as a skill to pick up last, if it all...you'll far more often dodge torpedoes just by paying attention to where enemy destroyers are vs. being saved by vigilance.

To answer your question, out of the two I would take BFT as your guns are your biggest asset in Benson.  Torpedo Armament Expertise is a good skill to have on high tier USN destroyers, but not as good as getting a higher rate of fire.  But I would also completely revamp the other skills you've taken (aside from Concealment Expert).

Edited by Harv72b

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles

In all honesty, you should NEVER be taking Vigilance in a DD. The only time you should have problems getting torp'd is by sitting still in a smoke screen. So, Don't Do That Then.

SSE is indeed a reasonable option, particularly if you play with friends regularly. But even in Random, if you team up with a CA often in-game, it's a big help to your WR.

Basically, for a Benson, the reasonable skills for your configuration are:

PM, LS, AR, SI, SE, TAE.

If you don't want to give up VI, then for your last 5 points, I'd go in this order (several options, in the order I'd recommend taking them):

AR, PM, LS

AR, SI

AR, SE

If you can give up Vigilance, I'd go with:

LS, AR, SI or SE, PM

[CAST]
Members
4,808 posts
3,359 battles

ALWAYS take Last Stand on a DD. Always. Always.

Always.

Alw ... well, you get the drift. Not taking it on a ship that gets its engines knocked out regularly is suicide. I loooove it when an enemy DD doesn't have LS and gets an engine hit. Free kill.

Also, strongly recommend taking SE on USN DDs. You really feel that health buff.

Sign in to follow this