You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Hamilton

How did this happen?

25 comments in this topic

[NCBL]
Members
56 posts
9,790 battles

Just picked up the Khab and was trying her out in Co-op, 5 great games and I'm feeling smug.  6th game a bomber hits me and blows me away.  Fun and engaging...  move on.  7th game another bomber does the same thing, 2 dets in 2 games, ok.  On the score sheet I see this which raises my question, how can you not be hit but still suffer a total loss of hp?  Also, maybe its been my bad luck but the detonations seem to be increasing quite a bit.  2 in a row is bad friggin luck, especially with the 70% reduction module installed. Ive had Missouri's, Hindy's ect blowing up all over the place without any noticeable change in play style. Anyone else notice a change or am I in a real RNG slump?

shot-18.02.19_00.40.48-0574.jpg

Members
1,257 posts
7,273 battles

Someone is going to venture an answer, but it makes no sense at all to me. 0 hits for 18,936 damage? Ridiculous.

• Funny 1

Members
1,866 posts

If you detonate in Random, you will get 10 no-detonation flags. If you detonate in co-op, you get nothing, but will win over 90% of the time. I actually saw a Yamato detonate. Fun and engaging! I have 9 detonations total in over 2,000 Random matches.

[NMKJT]
Members
4,027 posts

One morning last year I took my DDs out, all equipped with Mag Mod 1, and detonated 3 times in my first 5 games. There is a mathematical theorem we studied in college, been a long time and don't recall the name. Simply put, rare events are not evenly spread out, they tend to cluster.So it's a bad streak of RNG, nothing more. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,257 posts
7,273 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

One morning last year I took my DDs out, all equipped with Mag Mod 1, and detonated 3 times in my first 5 games. There is a mathematical theorem we studied in college, been a long time and don't recall the name. Simply put, rare events are not evenly spread out, they tend to cluster.So it's a bad streak of RNG, nothing more. 

I recall that theorem, it's called a "cluster chuck", or something like that.

[7RET]
[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
124 posts
10,085 battles

I believe sometimes the stats aren't 100% reliable. I had a module incapacitation shot with my first round from maybe my Hood? I didn't receive a hit or damage count though

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,697 battles
9 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

Splash damage.

This.  To explain a bit further for the OP, an HE bomb hit the water next to your ship, close enough that you were within the bomb's splash damage radius.  So it wasn't technically a hit.  The splash damage destroyed a module, probably an AA gun or secondary, which triggered a check against your detonation chance.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,697 battles
Just now, I3lackout said:

I believe sometimes the stats aren't 100% reliable. I had a module incapacitation shot with my first round from maybe my Hood? I didn't receive a hit or damage count though

Same thing, it was HE splash damage that took out a module.

[7RET]
[7RET]
124 posts
10,085 battles

I believe it was AP and was a rudder disable

Just now, kerensky914 said:

[7RET]
[7RET]
124 posts
10,085 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

I believed at the time it was the same principle, so yeah.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,697 battles
1 minute ago, I3lackout said:

I believe it was AP and was a rudder disable

Hmm, I guess that could happen if the AP shell actually hit the rudder, since AP can penetrate the water and do damage.  An HE shell would explode when it hit the surface.  Still, that's a pretty random result.

[7RET]
[7RET]
124 posts
10,085 battles
2 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Hmm, I guess that could happen if the AP shell actually hit the rudder, since AP can penetrate the water and do damage.  An HE shell would explode when it hit the surface.  Still, that's a pretty random result.

It was a one off. We figured that's what happened, water hit first then penned the rudder so didn't count as an actual hit

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,697 battles
59 minutes ago, I3lackout said:

It was a one off. We figured that's what happened, water hit first then penned the rudder so didn't count as an actual hit

Well, the rudder is a module, same as any other like, say, a secondary gun.  Ordinarily AP doesn't do module damage because modules generally don't have enough armor to set off the fuse.  But perhaps the rudder has enough when combined with the water impact to fuse the shell under proper conditions.

[7RET]
[7RET]
124 posts
10,085 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

Well, the rudder is a module, same as any other like, say, a secondary gun.  Ordinarily AP doesn't do module damage because modules generally don't have enough armor to set off the fuse.  But perhaps the rudder has enough when combined with the water impact to fuse the shell under proper conditions.

Yeah, that's what we figured. One in a million shot I'm sure.

[HINON]
Members
12,181 posts
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

This.  To explain a bit further for the OP, an HE bomb hit the water next to your ship, close enough that you were within the bomb's splash damage radius.  So it wasn't technically a hit.  The splash damage destroyed a module, probably an AA gun or secondary, which triggered a check against your detonation chance.

Aa and secondaries don't count towards detonations just main magazines. So the he blast radius overlapped the magazine. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,697 battles
42 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Aa and secondaries don't count towards detonations just main magazines. So the he blast radius overlapped the magazine. 

While it could have changed, I know detonations used to come from AA or secondaries.  LWM had a fairly lengthy treatise on the subject.

[CRMSN]
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Hamilton said:

Just picked up the Khab and was trying her out in Co-op, 5 great games and I'm feeling smug.  6th game a bomber hits me and blows me away.  Fun and engaging...  move on.  7th game another bomber does the same thing, 2 dets in 2 games, ok.  On the score sheet I see this which raises my question, how can you not be hit but still suffer a total loss of hp?  Also, maybe its been my bad luck but the detonations seem to be increasing quite a bit.  2 in a row is bad friggin luck, especially with the 70% reduction module installed. Ive had Missouri's, Hindy's ect blowing up all over the place without any noticeable change in play style. Anyone else notice a change or am I in a real RNG slump?

shot-18.02.19_00.40.48-0574.jpg

3 hours ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

Someone is going to venture an answer, but it makes no sense at all to me. 0 hits for 18,936 damage? Ridiculous.

Splash damage / splinters penning your magazine. 

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Why does a tsunami destroy everything in its path? 

A massive explosion next to your ship is just as deadly as a hit.

[HINON]
Members
12,181 posts
4 hours ago, kerensky914 said:

While it could have changed, I know detonations used to come from AA or secondaries.  LWM had a fairly lengthy treatise on the subject.

Perhaps, currently it is just magazine according to the wiki and LWM's experiments only refer to the main magazines AFAIK. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

I think I've been detonated in every match where I've not worn a det flag. 

[SYN]
Members
15,473 posts
12,778 battles

If you have replays, it'd be nice to see where the bombs are hitting.