You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Minimap Shooting Mod

29 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,192 posts

I'd heard of the minimap mod where you could click on the minimap and fire your guns at an otherwise undetected target. I never had actually seen clear evidence of its use until just now. At least three ships on my team were firing at an undetected ship, and hitting it every time.

TEMP.jpg

[WOLF2]
Members
1,584 posts
10,128 battles

I assume you took the screenshot after the Graf became spotted.

Quick question - were the other three in a division or in the same clan?     Three random folks, I might question.  But if they were grouped or same-in-clan, then having the mod might be a bit more suspect.

[SKI]
Members
147 posts
8,302 battles

I've seen it used in several YT videos.  I believe its called the X mod. What it does is places an X on the line where your guns are pointed at the distance you are aiming, that shows you where your shells are going to hit. but haven't found where the people got the mod or even if it's legal. If I remember, go to YT "world of warships X-mod". I think that's where I saw it.

Edited by nightrider760
additional statement

[SP3AR]
Supertester
215 posts
6,164 battles

On the minimap you are showing the graf zepplin is currently spotted. If it were unspotted it would have a white outline of it at the last known position. You see a red outline which means that other people have spotted it, but it is not in your view range (target acquisition in game). 

• Cool 1

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It was not spotted because it was an outlined icon not a solid one. 

it is spotted because it is a red outline. If it was not spotted it would have been a white outline.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,921 posts
1,693 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Actually, I think spotted targets will appear outlined on the minimap if they are not in your visual range (as opposed to not in line-of-sight)

EDIT:  Oops, last on top of the dogpile. ;)

Edited by kerensky914

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,820 battles

This is not a cheat, this is simply a target beyond your acquisition range.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's outlined for you....it's just outside your scan range, but clearly well within the Chappy's in the cap circle.

[CNO]
Members
5,236 posts
16,454 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Solid:  Spotted within your visual range.

Outlined:  Spotted by a friendly, but not within your visual range.

White: Unspotted last location.

Someone on your team had it spotted.  If you saw an outlined view, it was spotted but outside your visual range.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,192 posts
10 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Solid:  Spotted within your visual range.

Outlined:  Spotted by a friendly, but not within your visual range.

White: Unspotted last location.

Someone on your team had it spotted.  If you saw an outlined view, it was spotted but outside your visual range.

TY

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

TY

If you want to actually lock onto a targets last known position.  Use Shift + X.

This will lock your guns on its last position allowing you to continue firing at the target even if it is not unspotted. 

Great for shooting ships behind mountains.  Obviously only useful if he ain't moving. But very useful regardless. 

[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
31 minutes ago, megadeux said:

This is not a cheat, this is simply a target beyond your acquisition range.

Actually, the X mod is a questionable mod.  Yes, in the OP's pic, the target is beyond his acquisition range.  But let's say that it was truly unspotted, the X mod would let you put the "X" on top of the white "last known spot" icon and your ship's guns would aim at that spot.  And if the target ship has not moved from that spot, you can hit it.

To me, this mod is HIGHLY questionable.  From the Mod Rules post:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/142629-updated-modification-rules-11142017/

Applications and mods that help a player to aim in any way that is not already available in the game, that includes any predictive aiming mods.

The reason I say that this mod is highly questionable rather than an outright violation of the rules, is that the mod does NOT tell you where to aim that will "guarantee" a hit, though I will say that in the OP's example, if someone's spotting a target that's outside your acquisition range, and the X mod will get your guns onto that target, even if you can't see it yourself, then that does sort of sound like a violation of the above stated rule.  Arguably, if the target is truly unspotted, it's not a rules violation.

I'm very much of two minds on this.

On one hand, this is a mod that's outside the vanilla client and provides the player with an aiming capability that isn't available to anyone not using the mod.  

And on that same hand (so to speak), this mod feels like cheating to me, from a gaming perspective, even if I can compare what it actually does to the above quoted rule and see that it straddles the line really closely.

But on the other hand, from a historical and realism perspective, the way this mod works feels a lot like what aiming by radar rather than aiming by eye would seem like.  That is, aiming at fixed coordinates on the ocean rather than at the ship.  HOWEVER, this is not a capability that lower tier ships should have.  It's a capability that no ship not equipped with radar should have (and I don't really mean the radar consumable itself, since a lot of the highest tier ships would have had radar by the time they were commissioned).

Personally, I wish that this mod was banned, because it doesn't feel "right" and because it does straddle the above quoted rule much too closely for my taste.

@Radar_X Radar, just added you here so that you could read this post and pass it along to the appropriate people if you think it's worth their time.

[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
18 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

If you want to actually lock onto a targets last known position.  Use Shift + X.

This will lock your guns on its last position allowing you to continue firing at the target even if it is not unspotted. 

Great for shooting ships behind mountains.  Obviously only useful if he ain't moving. But very useful regardless. 

Cobra.... Is this part of the vanilla client or part of the mod, this Shift+X thing?  (I'll have to see for myself.)  Just curious.

[CRMSN]
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Cobra.... Is this part of the vanilla client or part of the mod, this Shift+X thing?  (I'll have to see for myself.)  Just curious.

Yea, it was in the other thread about that mod which could be considered a hack. 

Another poster stated shift X does the same thing. Just does not provide an actual X on the mini map.

I tried it out this weekend and it seems to work, great for hitting targets in smoke that re concealed. 

[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Yea, it was in the other thread about that mod which could be considered a hack. 

Another poster stated shift X does the same thing. Just does not provide an actual X on the mini map.

I tried it out this weekend and it seems to work, great for hitting targets in smoke that re concealed. 

Do you have to Shift+X before you lose target lock?  Or are you able to lock onto the last known position after the target has disappeared?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,911 posts
4,602 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

NM.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
1 hour ago, Cobraclutch said:

:Smile_great:

This method is better than using the X mod. :Smile_honoring:

[CRMSN]
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Do you have to Shift+X before you lose target lock?  Or are you able to lock onto the last known position after the target has disappeared?

I have not tested the specific timing of it, I think it follows the same mechanics when you loose target lock on a ship that recloaked. 

So if you target lock right after the ship reconceals, you should still have the same position as your target lock. However I do not know how long that window lasts for as I normally do it right after the ship disappears. 

I will have to test it out. 

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

There is another thread about this very same topic (within the past week). The mod is currently allowed by WG and available in both their official modpack and Anslans (did i spell that right?).

Personally I think it should be banned, and have voiced that opinion repeatedly in the other thread - that's been beaten to death, but should be easy for anyone to find as it was just within the past week.

• Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,719 posts
25,526 battles
2 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

Oh boy, once you find that spot with Atlanta/Mino/DM and hit Shift-X bad things are going to happen if they aren't moving.

[SALVO]
Members
23,434 posts
24,054 battles
11 minutes ago, hofmannsc said:

Oh boy, once you find that spot with Atlanta/Mino/DM and hit Shift-X bad things are going to happen if they aren't moving.

Well, which is why any smart player who is going to try to shoot while hidden, whether behind an island or in smoke, should never sit still in the location where they were last spotted.  Heck, if you're smoke shooting, you should probably never be sitting completely still while shooting.