Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

What's the next T6 Scenario monster?

59 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,679 posts
4,602 battles

Unlocked Cleveland today and jumped into Aegis.  First live scenario I've been able to play because The Beaver is my first real Tier VI.  Love it!  Will wear the Beav out!

So the question is, what's the next T6 to unlock to play scenarios?   Current T5s are Kongo, New York, Mutsuki.  T4 Kuma, Clemson, Danae, Kaiser.  (Nothing on the Russian line, though I just got a 10 pt captain with no ship to put him on..)

If necessary I have 100K FXP, but I really hate to spend FXP.

[WO0KY]
Members
4,112 posts
3,195 battles

I'm doing well with the Leander and Normandie.  I find in a scenario as a rule DDs are not as effective (and I like my DDs)

Battleships have a much shorter queue wait

Edited by Destroyer_Suzukaze

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,679 posts
4,602 battles

I've seen a DD (particularly in Aegis) be useful.  But I don't feel very competent in DDs at this level.  So CR, BB.

UK, huh?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,853 battles

Cleveland is a great boat for op's, especially when the op's are loaded with cv's. Do you yourself a favor and grab t7 for the op coming in 7.2. The weather effects are incredible! 

[WO0KY]
Members
4,112 posts
3,195 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I've seen a DD (particularly in Aegis) be useful.  But I don't feel very competent in DDs at this level.  So CR, BB.

UK, huh?

I have seen DDs do well in Aegis, but not consistent and not in all of the scenarios. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,503 posts
14,140 battles

In general DPM wins out, I'd echo @Destroyer_Suzukaze and others on that point. Cruisers can be highly advantageous because -

1. Swarming attacks of destroyers need to be dealt with quickly and a miss in a BB can be fatal
  2. Bots are stupid, and >30k AP alpha from a Cleveland shooting AP at a broadsiding Furutaka is frequently better than 90k AP alpha with worse dispersion every 30s
  3. Carriers are highly prevalent and therefore AA is useful, moreso than usual
  4. 30kt of speed to keep up with, or rejoin the herd is very useful

Destroyers have never seemed useful in scenarios, they lack the DPM or durability or AA. Torpedoes reload too slowly, especially in competition with teammates whose shells get out there faster. Trading your Farragut for a couple of equal or higher tier DD in random is fine, in scenario it's a bad trade.

31 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Current T5s are Kongo, New York, Mutsuki.  T4 Kuma, Clemson, Danae, Kaiser. 

Of these, I would immediately discount New Mexico (too slow, too derpy), Bayern (too derpy, only 8-guns), Farragut (destroyer) and Fubuki (destroyer, plus low gun power).

Of the remainder, I'd say Aoba is one of the weaker T6 cruisers for scenario's as she has lowish DPM and poor AA. Leander is mixed, reasonable DPM, good anti-destroyer, the smoke works better in some scenarios than others (if you have to keep moving it's bad). Fuso is one of the better (IMO) battleships, with reasonable speed, reload and a 12-gun broadside. In scenario's I'd definitely rather see a Fuso than a New Mexico.

[-TBP-]
Members
17 posts
3,523 battles

While a Wallet Warrior (and proud) boat, I've been using the Duca d'Aosta with pretty good success. Defensive AA is nice and with bots, the 12 km set 'em and forget 'em torpedoes are nice.

Edited by gingavitisx
  • Cool 1

[WO0KY]
Members
4,112 posts
3,195 battles
2 minutes ago, gingavitisx said:

While a Wallet Was (and proud) boat, I've been using the Duca d'Aosta with pretty good success. Defensive AA is nice and with bots, the 12 km set 'em and forget 'em torpedoes are nice.

I haven't tried the Duca yet, but the Degrasse does well. Defensive AA and some speed. Perth does well too. Except when it doesn't...

I like the Normandie. 29 knots and 12 guns. I do not have a Fuso to compare. 

Edited by Destroyer_Suzukaze

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
2,932 posts
8,488 battles

Dunkerque is among the best BB to use in scenarios.

The maneuverability, speed, and forward fire power makes her a very good assault ship

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,143 posts

DPM cruisers are the order of the day for ops. Cleveland is a beast, of course, Nurnberg does well with that 6 sec. reload, Budyonny handles like a pregnant yak, but the guns are great, La however you spell the French boat does well, though DeGrasse is better(gee what a surprise). Aoba is a bit slow on the reload, but the guns are 8" and hit harder and you don't need IFHE, which is pretty much mandatory for the 6" gunned cruisers. Leander is nice for being able to heal in the ops without repair ships, but the lack of HE and the general lack of usefulness of smoke in ops limits her compared to other cruisers.

As to battleships, Bayern has fast turrets, good rudder shift, and of course that wonderful KMS iron diarrhea, AKA German secondaries. Queen Elizabeth is a plane eating monster that I kept just for that reason, and despite what people say about British AP, trust me, the QE will cause hurt aplenty, not to mention the extra crispy setting British HE is set to. New Mexico, I am sure there is a use for a 21kt warship, I am just not sure what it is. Fuso, well, just load HE and you are the world's largest shotgun when quail, otherwise known as DD bots, appear. That being said, I somehow deeply offended IJN RNGeezus in a past life and was sentenced to never hit anything over 9Km away with Fuso, fortunately Nagato and subsequent IJN BBs were RNShintoists.

A word of warning, ops are not DD friendly, as the AI has raging death wood for destroyers. Yes you can use them, but it is basically like smearing gravy on your genitals and shoving six weasels down your pants.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[RLGN]
Members
13,539 posts
23,672 battles

None of the above ship suggestions ever really worked for me.

Bots decided they loved me and I burned to death in most cases. Hell ever; not like I was way out front, they just all seemed to want to shoot at me.

Only exception was Dunkerque; also for the reasons cited above.

Instead; I loaded up Ryujo and Independence, and started murdering bots.

Odd, because I can’t seem to use carriers well in Randoms at all...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[RLGN]
Members
13,539 posts
23,672 battles
41 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

A word of warning, ops are not DD friendly, as the AI has raging death wood for destroyers. Yes you can use them, but it is basically like smearing gravy on your genitals and shoving six weasels down your pants.

Dat’ visual... :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I had one game in the French Cruiser with 170k damage, 6 kills, 18 Citadels, and a dozen planes shot down - most games aren’t that good for me but it’s well suited for all the missions I’ve play it with.

I hear it sucks in Randoms, but the AP is beastly against all the bots and it’s AA consumable is really useful in a lot of them.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,470 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Unlocked Cleveland today and jumped into Aegis.  First live scenario I've been able to play because The Beaver is my first real Tier VI.  Love it!  Will wear the Beav out!

The tier 6 cruisers I see most in scenario play are Cleveland, Budyonny, and La Gal; probably in that order.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
991 posts
13,554 battles

Thing is, don't be afraid to use a ship you are not used to, or are labeled as "weak/useless".  When OP's first came out, I wasn't used to my Ryujo by any stretch.  At first I hated the fact that I would run out of bombers quickly compared to Indy, but then, I started to figure her out.  Now, that 8pt Captain is a 19pt captain and I have 760k+ SXP with her.  This is purely Op's, with some of it having been converted.  I would have over a million otherwise. :Smile_Default: I prefer her over my Indy 7/10 times, so much so that I (embarrassingly) tend to botch the first drop or two in Indy, being so used to Ryujo's torpedoes. :Smile_hiding:  Though Indy has a major advantage of being able to hit DD's much more easily.  CV's were, at first, considered pretty useless.  Not as much as a DD, but definitely got some remarks about bringing one. :Smile_teethhappy:

In regards to using a DD in Op's, you are either going to love it or hate it.  There are is no middle ground.  Personally, I love using DD's in Op's, when I feel like it of course. :Smile-_tongue:

As for next T6; Personally, I'd go with Fuso as your next T6 for Op's.  You could push for NM, which has better AA, but her dispersion is worse (at least to me) and she is slow.  If you don't want to burn FXP, then push for the T6 BB you are closest too. :Smile_great:

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,361 posts
13,453 battles

Budyonny

jjLfo3d.jpg

iON9MeC.jpg

etc etc etc

Edited by Business6
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
27,073 posts
15,653 battles

Light cruiser Aigle can pit her weight too~

shot-18.02.19_14.10.47-0278.jpg

Keep in mind we lost 3 players before the transport ships spawned and finished the game with 2 players surviving myself included.

[INTEL]
Members
12,354 posts
34,342 battles

image.thumb.png.f3d687b4c4535be36cd233820d798e74.png

Leander is the true beast of Aegis. You can easily get over 150K damage, and over 200k is not unusual. The torps give it dimension that the Cleveland simply doesn't have. The heal extends your life, and the smoke... her only drawback is limited range. 

The way to play is to drive her north to D3, then park. When the second wave comes up, hit them all broadside and drop some torps into the mass of ships. You can usually finish 2-4 ships and pile up 20 cits. Then race down to A5 and greet the 2 CVs with torps and shells. After that you'll probably be a bit far from the action to do much damage to the remaining ships in the NE, but you'll have already piled up a formidable total.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,910 posts
11,281 battles

I know DD's aren't great for most Ops, but I've done okay in mine so long as the team doesn't all freebase derp.  But the only two T6 DD's I have are the Egg and Gallant.  Leander does well, given it has torps that the Beaver lacks.  And Aegis doesn't penalize the lack of HE as some do.  Those that require you to destroy the forts are easier if you have HE.  DD's have a tough time in those.  The Exploding Nurnburg does well in Ops.  Better than it does in Randoms.  6km torps and passable HE helps.  As for BB's, I've never clicked with the Dunker, but see a lot of them.  The New Mex can do well, but its eternal reload hurts it.  I've done better with the Bayern than the New Mex in most.  I'm not a big fan of the IJN line so I haven't ground any to T6 yet so I can't say.  But I rarely see IJN ships in Ops at T6 or T7 (like Ultimate Frontier).  

For Killer Whale, you'll like the Beaver.  Toward the end the torp bomber spam gets pretty thick.  It's a great CV hunter and I've seen a lot of those not get 5 stars when the team doesn't take out the CVs on the exit.  

For premiums, De Grasse is pretty solid.  The Molotov Cocktail can do well with its great guns, but it is pretty squishy and it has those jokes they call torpedoes.  Duca D'Aosta can do okay in Killer Whale, but I've never done great with it in Aegis.  

Supertester
442 posts
10,905 battles

For Aegis, any cruiser works really. They all farm citadels with ease. But for other tier 6 Operations, you can generally use all types of ships and do solid amounts of damage, even with DDs:

Spoiler

20180211034218_1.thumb.jpg.5d9b7f8401d97bcf1cf4c8450a673d65.jpg20180211034221_1.thumb.jpg.49c2984ac7ab6c431a829c09fc28c8d8.jpg

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,143 posts
53 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I know DD's aren't great for most Ops, but I've done okay in mine so long as the team doesn't all freebase derp.  But the only two T6 DD's I have are the Egg and Gallant.  Leander does well, given it has torps that the Beaver lacks.  And Aegis doesn't penalize the lack of HE as some do.  Those that require you to destroy the forts are easier if you have HE.  DD's have a tough time in those.  The Exploding Nurnburg does well in Ops.  Better than it does in Randoms.  6km torps and passable HE helps.  As for BB's, I've never clicked with the Dunker, but see a lot of them.  The New Mex can do well, but its eternal reload hurts it.  I've done better with the Bayern than the New Mex in most.  I'm not a big fan of the IJN line so I haven't ground any to T6 yet so I can't say.  But I rarely see IJN ships in Ops at T6 or T7 (like Ultimate Frontier).  

For Killer Whale, you'll like the Beaver.  Toward the end the torp bomber spam gets pretty thick.  It's a great CV hunter and I've seen a lot of those not get 5 stars when the team doesn't take out the CVs on the exit.  

For premiums, De Grasse is pretty solid.  The Molotov Cocktail can do well with its great guns, but it is pretty squishy and it has those jokes they call torpedoes.  Duca D'Aosta can do okay in Killer Whale, but I've never done great with it in Aegis.  

The Southern Dragon/Myoko does appreciably well in the tier 7 ops, and the Nagato  is a monster when you turn it loose in Narai. Crowded harbor and secondaries; it's sort of like throwing babies in a wood chipper.

• Funny 1

[GWG]
Members
6,722 posts
12,789 battles

Aegis - Queen Elizabeth with topped out AA works wonders, especially at the end swatting planes.  Cleveland is OK, but without heal, it won't take too many 8" gun hits.  No AA will lead to a painful end.

-- we once had an Amagi spawn with the CVs..  I was in a Mutsu at the time.  That T8 BB took 6 torps and all my attention to put down.  We still got 5 stars on that one.

Raptor Rescue  - favors the New Mexico with 12 rifles and excellent torpedo belt.  High Alert detects torpedoes sooner.  I you see them in advance, Raptor has more time to evade - like bots excel in doing.

Harbor Raid - favors fast cruisers since battleships tend to overpen the defending cruisers and waste a lot of shots  Cleveland is king there.  Dunkerque does well since it's a fast ship and can safely take out those forts in a hurry.

Harbor Defend - Any big slow tanky battleship does well there.  New Mexico, Queen Elizabeth, Mutsu.  It's always good to see Clevelands there to help out.

Also seen CVs give a good show in each of these.

Sign in to follow this