jo5hykins

Warships Shot displacement

13 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
487 battles

After seeing my camouflage shot displacement bonus of +4% i was wondering how they implement this with a manual shot from a person, well it turn out it depends on a couple of factors.  RNG (Random number generation) has a very big role in your shots actually hitting targets and that struck me as a bit unfair considering no matter how well you place your shot your shells wont hit if the RNG isn't in your favor. now the percentage of shot displacement actually goes up depending how many shots you fired off at once.   let me say that again...... it has nothing to do with how well you place your shot, only how how high your numbers were rolled..... obviously distance and target size have  a say in this but doesn't it strike any of you that its a bit bogus that the games decides if your shells will stay on proper course of which you shot or will they veer off into the sunset.  i can totally understand Damage factors being controlled by RNG, but not skill.....     i have been playing for 3+ years on multiple accounts for this game and i got tier 8 and 9 ships so i have some experience in the game, but after finding out how they actually calculate if your shots are going to miss or not i have lost hope and decided to uninstall the game all together,  but thats not the best part.  i have  looked up some other forums from people experiencing the same thing and do you know how war gaming responds?  they disable or freeze the thread........ but dont take my word for it look for yourselves. 

i would never expect this company to act in such a way but it seems they clearly dont care about the players and their actions prove it. 

• Meh 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles

If it took you three years and multiple accounts, including experience at almost all Tiers to find out that this game has RNG involved in the dispersion mechanic, then maybe the problem is not the game but you?

20 minutes ago, jo5hykins said:

i can totally understand Damage factors being controlled by RNG, but not skill

Then I wonder how all those good players manage such high damage numbers over thousands of games. Clearly haxx were involved.

Anyway, have fun with whatever game you will start now~

Sx4jC7C.png

• Cool 1

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

Well, it's not like shells is real life magically landed exactly where the crew aimed...

24 minutes ago, jo5hykins said:

i can totally understand Damage factors being controlled by RNG,

Also, the actual hitpoint damage you do isn't RNG dependent unlike in WoT. Lets, for example, take Kawachi's 305mm AP shell. No matter what, it will always do 0, 810, 2573, or 8100 damage. However, that doesn't mean that the game randomly selects one of those numbers when a shell hits something. If the shell hits a section or armour that cannot be penetrated by the shell or impacts at a wonky angle, then the shell will shatter or ricochet and deal 0 damage. If the shell hits a section too thin to arm the AP shell fuse, such as the thin bow or stern plating or superstructure, it will likely overpenetrate, which using my example (Kawachi), will deal 810 damage. If the shell hits armour thin enough for the shell to penetrate and there is enough time for the shell to fuse, it will cause a penetration, which will in my example deal 2573 damage. If the shell has enough penetration to penetrate a target's citadel, it will deal its maximum listed damage, or 8100 damage in my example.

Also how the :etc_swear: did you somehow make it tier 9 without finding out that there was RNG in the game?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,280 posts
18,459 battles

Hasta La Vista, Mista!

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,142 posts
20,635 battles

I think space combat sims will fire lazars with no variance due to weather, powder charge, barrel wear, etc.  You should be good there.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
9 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Warspite is a god has zero issues.

O my.  Every ship has some kinda issue. I don't have her so I can't say much about her but there is no perfect ship.

• Cool 1

Members
848 posts
5,639 battles

Real life ships had random dispersion as well. They weren't laser-guided with pinpoint accuracy - the actual hit rate in real life is magnitudes less than what we see in WoWS. RNG is an integral part of the experience of firing your guns, tossing between a few overpenetrations to a magazine detonation. If it took you three years and and a tier 9 to realise that RNG exists, then I'm glad you won't be on my team anytime soon. Sorry for being harsh, but that's the truth.

[MEIST]
Members
1,413 posts
5,608 battles

Maybe candy crush is more your speed. No, really go play candy crush! Auf wiedersehen

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 hours ago, jo5hykins said:

After seeing my camouflage shot displacement bonus of +4% i was wondering how they implement this with a manual shot from a person, well it turn out it depends on a couple of factors.  RNG (Random number generation) has a very big role in your shots actually hitting targets and that struck me as a bit unfair considering no matter how well you place your shot your shells wont hit if the RNG isn't in your favor. now the percentage of shot displacement actually goes up depending how many shots you fired off at once.   let me say that again...... it has nothing to do with how well you place your shot, only how how high your numbers were rolled..... obviously distance and target size have  a say in this but doesn't it strike any of you that its a bit bogus that the games decides if your shells will stay on proper course of which you shot or will they veer off into the sunset.  i can totally understand Damage factors being controlled by RNG, but not skill.....     i have been playing for 3+ years on multiple accounts for this game and i got tier 8 and 9 ships so i have some experience in the game, but after finding out how they actually calculate if your shots are going to miss or not i have lost hope and decided to uninstall the game all together,  but thats not the best part.  i have  looked up some other forums from people experiencing the same thing and do you know how war gaming responds?  they disable or freeze the thread........ but dont take my word for it look for yourselves. 

i would never expect this company to act in such a way but it seems they clearly dont care about the players and their actions prove it. 

I'm sorry, but this post is so wrong on so many levels.

First of all, how well you aim your shot has everything to do with how many hits you get!!!  Don't believe me?  Then try aiming your shots like 20 km behind your target and tell me how many hits you got on your target because RNG decided to bless you.  Methinks you'd get a big  fat zero hits on your target. 

Secondly, historically, BBs had an accuracy rate of around 5% with really good gunner crews.  Only FIVE PERCENT!!!    Do you really think that those gunners were so incompetent that they could only get 1 hit for every 20 shots?  Or were there other factors in play that in this game we can describe as random?  Yes, I realize it's a game, but that doesn't make the point invalid.  A skilled sniper can hit his target nearly every time.  Were naval gunners less skilled?  A bunch of drunk buffoons?  I doubt it.  I think that the historical low hit rate simply shows that there are many, many other factors in play that affect accuracy.  Factors that get merged into RNG.  And don't forget that in this game a pretty good hit rate is around 25%, not 5%.  

Thirdly, if BBs were allowed to have a hit rate of closer to 50% or higher, I think that this game would very quickly become unplayable, because players with a modicum of skill would be trashing each other so fast that the game would be very, very unfun and unchallenging.  

Fourth, in WoWS, damage isn't randomized.  Personally, it wouldn't bother me if there was some degree of randomness in damage, like say, a 10% spread, because in some ways, gets sort of boring seeing hits from the same ship always doing the exact same # of HP of damage.  I don't think that a small degree of randomness (not as large as in WoT, mind you) would be a bad thing.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, jager_geist said:

Maybe candy crush is more your speed. No, really go play candy crush! Auf wiedersehen

I was going to say chess or checkers if he wants 100% skill with no  RNG.