Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NWGIX

Fletcher help

11 comments in this topic

[RDBOW]
Beta Testers
390 posts
2,985 battles

I've had the Fletcher for a while now, and I just can't seem to make her work, can't use stealth fire anymore since that was taken away, cant take on DD's except for IJN, and too much Hydro and Radar to sit in smoke and get some shots off. I need some real advice on how to play her, as the situation stands it's feeling like a downgrade from the Benson which I loved a lot.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
974 posts
8,571 battles

In the current meta, I think the Fletcher excels as a torpedo boat. You can get your reload down to something insane like 80 seconds. Your fish are fast, stealthy and hit very hard. Your guns are there so you can hold your own in a fight, but they're not your primary method of dealing damage. I'll edit this post in a few and share my build that I've been using for the past 300 or so Fletcher games. 

SUElLDp.png

A few other notes: 

-Don't be too aggressive in the early game. Skirt caps and see what's what before you commit. 

-At the start, ID any ships with Radar and avoid if at all possible. They are your fastest ticket to death. 

-Your torps are your primary weapons. Abuse your stealth, speed and reload time and flood choke points with torps. 

-Watch the Mini Map! Radar has a massive range now, especially Russian ships. Bug out if you see one coming. Live to fight another moment. 

-Never commit to a DD fight unless you have decisive advantage and/or massive friendly support. 

-Smoke shooting is almost a dead art. Once in awhile you'll find a time where you can truly do it, but it's almost always a fool's errand. Smoke attracts torps and radar like flies to a corpse. 

-Again, stealth and torps are your greatest weapons. 

Let me know if you have other specific questions. 

Edited by Falls_USMC
  • Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
5,788 posts

Hi, I am no expert but it does sound as if you are employing tactics that no longer really have a place in the game:

• Radar ships need to be identified at the load screen and avoided,
  • The fact you are seen when firing necessitates the need for movement and the use of land as cover.
  • Never sit still in smoke, you need to be mobile and ready to hit the boost to get out of Dodge.
  • It could be your distance with the gunfighting....maybe? the US DDs are better at close quarter fighting; see below*
  • Hydro is hydro, you have to look for both aircraft along with hoping no one has hydro on if you want to hit torps (then once seen they are always seen...sorry!).

My only thought would be to either drop back down and try to learn what you did different in the Benson, or take the Fletcher into Co-Op. With DDs being the primary target in Co-Op you will get plenty of practice, the accuracy of the enemy is very good, they will allow friendly BBs and CAs have free shots at them because they must kill the DD! You will learn to use land, find out that the AI will use every bit of info given to it to avoid torps (literally, you will be asking 'how did it know I launched torps???' then you'll see the spotter plane come into view lol).

Hope you find your way in the Fletcher; it is a great ship. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,551 posts
33,685 battles

Falls_USMC has it right. I run mine as a torp boat with excellent guns. Works well for me.

That said, I play ChungMu and Yugumo more nowadays, but Fletcher will never be sold. Great boat.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,478 posts
23,472 battles
2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Falls_USMC has it right. I run mine as a torp boat with excellent guns. Works well for me.

That said, I play ChungMu and Yugumo more nowadays, but Fletcher will never be sold. Great boat.

Same here.

I scout first with my Fletcher, (GASP! SHOCK!) instead of just charging some cap, then go from there.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,233 posts
18,432 battles

or just trade it in on a Z-46.

[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
8,638 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, Falls_USMC said:

-Your torps are your primary weapons.

Hi, I did not want to start a new thread so thought I would post in this one. I have a 15 point Benson Capt ready to move up to Fletcher in about 25K more XP. I have already have PT, AR, LS, SE, and CE. I have 3 points to use. I would like to know opinions on if I should use those 3 points to get either DE, or TE. I love to knife fight and contest caps early. So I was leaning towards DE?  Thanks in advance.

John

Edited by JBR40
spelling

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
974 posts
8,571 battles
6 hours ago, JBR40 said:

Hi, I did not want to start a new thread so thought I would post in this one. I have a 15 point Benson Capt ready to move up to Fletcher in about 25K more XP. I have already have PT, AR, LS, SE, and CE. I have 3 points to use. I would like to know opinions on if I should use those 3 points to get either DE, or TE. I love to knife fight and contest caps early. So I was leaning towards DE?  Thanks in advance.

John

I would strongly suggest that you use TE. DE is great, yes, but setting fires on DDs gives you an extremely marginal advantage, since fire ticks are based off of ship health, and DDs recover their repair so quickly it's an iffy advantage to say the least. Is it great for annoying BBs making them burn repair? Absolutely and can net you some nice damage numbers in the right time and place, but its very situational. Your torps are your moneymakers, and you want them off cool down as quickly as possible. The alpha damage of your guns alone, combined with their withering rate of fire, is enough for dealing with enemy DDs. 

Just one man's opinion. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
8,638 battles
4 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

Just one man's opinion. 

And a good one at that.  Thanks for the quick reply. I will go a head with TE. 

• Cool 1

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, Falls_USMC said:

In the current meta, I think the Fletcher excels as a torpedo boat. You can get your reload down to something insane like 80 seconds. Your fish are fast, stealthy and hit very hard. Your guns are there so you can hold your own in a fight, but they're not your primary method of dealing damage. I'll edit this post in a few and share my build that I've been using for the past 300 or so Fletcher games. 

SUElLDp.png

A few other notes: 

-Don't be too aggressive in the early game. Skirt caps and see what's what before you commit. 

-At the start, ID any ships with Radar and avoid if at all possible. They are your fastest ticket to death. 

-Your torps are your primary weapons. Abuse your stealth, speed and reload time and flood choke points with torps. 

-Watch the Mini Map! Radar has a massive range now, especially Russian ships. Bug out if you see one coming. Live to fight another moment. 

-Never commit to a DD fight unless you have decisive advantage and/or massive friendly support. 

-Smoke shooting is almost a dead art. Once in awhile you'll find a time where you can truly do it, but it's almost always a fool's errand. Smoke attracts torps and radar like flies to a corpse. 

-Again, stealth and torps are your greatest weapons. 

Let me know if you have other specific questions. 

This but...

I would trade Demo for the torp reload, it's more usable. Torps hit and miss, BFT/Adrenaline aren't optional. Lighting fires(burning Damage Party) means as much as a torp hit. Honestly it just depends on how much you like to shoot I guess. 

Edited by atPrick__

Members
28 posts
10,489 battles

It's been noted that Smoke attracts Radar and Torps... Very true.  Instead of running from Radar boats these should be your main targets. When a radar boat camps by an island to block incoming fire & control a cap and screen himself from torps then it's time to use your smoke to lure him out and tease a radar burn.

- get in a position to torp where he's gonna pull out to for gunnery .... get a double spread OTW to that spot, THEN move to put yourself at the edge of his radar range and a couple of clicks to the side from where u launched the torps and THEN lay smoke. (the bait)

Usually, he'll fire up the radar when he sees the smoke and pull out to gun your fleeing, squirming run from radar (u should be able to break contact in a few moments) ... and in the process he's pulled out right into the torp spread you laid FIRST. Even better.. when his radar has been used, flip, get to the flank to torp again or back in the cap... keep pressing him.

Kill radar boats. Don't 'run' from them. Bait and kill 'em. Use their play techniques to bait and burn thru the Radar reloads and force 'em to expose themselves. This technique works pretty well for improving your teams odds at victory by reducing the effectiveness of the radar as an info tool and exposing the radar boats to friendly fire from your fleet... don't let radar boats take the advantage by keeping you defensive... get the advantage back by using their overconfidence born of perceived advantage as the means for their elimination.

Sign in to follow this