You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AngelOfWarAndDeath

U.S. National Anthem and Flag Salute/Re-Education

15 comments in this topic

Members
298 posts
4,485 battles

Ok kids.

The former Flag Salute is Roman in origin.The only difference is the palm is reversed.

The Bellamy salute is a palm-out salute described by Francis Bellamy, the author of the American Pledge of Allegiance, as the gesture which was to accompany the pledge. During the period when it was used with the Pledge of Allegiance, it was sometimes known as the "flag salute". Both the Pledge and its salute originated in 1892.

In order to prevent further confusion or controversy, the United States Congress instituted the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance in the United States, instead of the Bellamy salute.This was done when Congress amended the Flag Code on December 22, 1942.

There was initially some resistance to dropping the Bellamy salute, for example from the Daughters of the American Revolution,but this opposition died down quickly following Nazi Germany's declaration of war against the United States on December 11, 1941.

The Roman salute (Italian: saluto romano) is a gesture in which the arm is held out forward straight, with palm down, and fingers touching. In some versions, the arm is raised upward at an angle; in others, it is held out parallel to the ground.

Jacques-Louis David's painting The Oath of the Horatii (1784) provided the starting point for the gesture that became later known as the Roman salute.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

P.S. spread the news around it is time for education.

Edited by AngelOfWarAndDeath
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles

Angel, I've never heard of the Bellamy salute.  Thanks for the historical info, trivial as it may be.  Learn something new every day.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,833 posts
14,813 battles

if anyone wants to know where his clip is from, its from HBO's Rome series from (2001?). very good series and story but its not for kids! (lots of sex scenes and lots of graphic violence) my only tiff with the series is that there weren't enough battle scenes and they didn't dive into any military tactics either. but other than that it was great!:fish_book:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

I like the recent law that allows for veterans to render a salute even when not in uniform.

all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute -- U.S. Code › Title 4 › Chapter 1 › § 9

• Cool 1

Members
298 posts
4,485 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I like the recent law that allows for veterans to render a salute even when not in uniform.

Well,it makes sense since they are reserved deactivated armed forces service members...

Edited by AngelOfWarAndDeath

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,613 posts
4,602 battles

The problem with the Bellamy salute is that in the bleachers at a baseball game you clock the guy in front of you in the back of the head. 

Mayhem ensues. 

Not recommended.

• Funny 1

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,722 posts

*comes back 12 hours later*

What?! This thread hasn't been derailed by nationalists or politically-minded hooligans yet?! What sort of loopy-land have I entered?!

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
6,179 battles
On 2/19/2018 at 2:14 AM, Chobittsu said:

*comes back 12 hours later*

What?! This thread hasn't been derailed by nationalists of politically-minded hooligans yet?! What sort of loopy-land have I entered?!

I wanted to, I just couldn't put down my big mac.

• Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
6,452 posts
5,168 battles
On 2/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, AngelOfWarAndDeath said:

Ok kids.

The former Flag Salute is Roman in origin.The only difference is the palm is reversed.

The Bellamy salute is a palm-out salute described by Francis Bellamy, the author of the American Pledge of Allegiance, as the gesture which was to accompany the pledge. During the period when it was used with the Pledge of Allegiance, it was sometimes known as the "flag salute". Both the Pledge and its salute originated in 1892.

In order to prevent further confusion or controversy, the United States Congress instituted the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance in the United States, instead of the Bellamy salute.This was done when Congress amended the Flag Code on December 22, 1942.

There was initially some resistance to dropping the Bellamy salute, for example from the Daughters of the American Revolution,but this opposition died down quickly following Nazi Germany's declaration of war against the United States on December 11, 1941.

The Roman salute (Italian: saluto romano) is a gesture in which the arm is held out forward straight, with palm down, and fingers touching. In some versions, the arm is raised upward at an angle; in others, it is held out parallel to the ground.

Jacques-Louis David's painting The Oath of the Horatii (1784) provided the starting point for the gesture that became later known as the Roman salute.

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

P.S. spread the news around it is time for education.

What, no pictures that look like the US that lost WWII?

1920px-Bellamy_salute_1915.jpg

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,722 posts
9 hours ago, Sventex said:

What, no pictures that look like the US that lost WWII?

Must have been pretty awkward when they changed it. "Hey, you know that thing you've been doing all your life? Stop that."