You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Raven114

Encore Graphics Engine

68 comments in this topic

Members
2,069 posts
6,298 battles

I just download the Encore test engine and was blown away with the level of animation it has reached. I know this is for WOT, but WG you have to migrate this to WOW's. I run a GTX 1080 and it ran flawlessly in the ultra test. This engine will bring WOW's to a complete new level not even close to what we have today. Everyone should check this out Jingles has the link on his youtube vid called Encore. I hope WOW's crew will work on migrating this into the game after WOT gets it up and running. This is an amazing step forward in the gaming industry.  

• Cool 3

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

You can't "migrate" a game to a new engine. That's basically reworking the entire game. When a game "changes engines" it is basically a new game being released in place of the old game. Also Devs have said (just in the past week) that there are no plans to do so as the current engine more than meets their needs for this game.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Meh 1

[OO7]
Beta Testers
470 posts
10,841 battles
8 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

You can't "migrate" a game to a new engine. That's basically reworking the entire game. When a game "changes engines" it is basically a new game being released in place of the old game. Also Devs have said (just in the past week) that there are no plans to do so as the current engine more than meets their needs for this game.

which is unfortunate... i would love to see them upgrade to this generation graphics. Eye candy is awesome

[STW-D]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,196 posts
15,518 battles

Yeah, but until they actually utilize the company they purchased— Big World— and actually conver the games to 64 bit, multi cpu/gpu/core capable, these games will still be stuck in 2004.

• Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,168 battles

You obvuosily haven’t seen Octavians latest from the other day.

He stated that the current engine works fine for them and it does everything they need and want it to do so they have no plans on upgrading or changing it. The engine will stay what it is.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,168 battles
1 minute ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

I have seen it, but I'm just saying.. perhaps if enough peeps ask.. it will come.. 

Are there any plans to change the graphics engine of WoWS?
Nein, nein, nein, nein, NEIN! The engine is fine! The engine does what it needs to do, and can cope well with the calculations, ballistics, it’s reasonably stable, un-cheatable. The graphics-part is tied to rendering, so they’re updating that step by step, including effects,... But the engine will remain what it is.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[OO7]
Beta Testers
470 posts
10,841 battles
4 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Are there any plans to change the graphics engine of WoWS?
Nein, nein, nein, nein, NEIN! The engine is fine! The engine does what it needs to do, and can cope well with the calculations, ballistics, it’s reasonably stable, un-cheatable. The graphics-part is tied to rendering, so they’re updating that step by step, including effects,... But the engine will remain what it is.

K great.. yes i've seen it. If demand is high enough some day perhaps that change will come.. thats what im saying. Also.. i wouldn't be surprised if WOWS 1.0 were to do the same thing as WOT.. 

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,168 battles
4 minutes ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

K great.. yes i've seen it. If demand is high enough some day perhaps that change will come.. thats what im saying. Also.. i wouldn't be surprised if WOWS 1.0 were to do the same thing as WOT.. 

They could. But that’s still a long way out. People have also been asking for this for a long time and Lesta still says no. I’m just saying I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

And sorry, I posted the link because I had a brain fart and read your post wrong. My bad. You said “I have” but for some reason my brain processed it as “I haven’t”. Sorry, haven’t had my coffee yet today lol.

My original response though was mainly in response to the OP and not you.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[OO7]
Beta Testers
470 posts
10,841 battles
2 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

They could. But that’s still a long way out. People have also been asking for this for a long time and Lesta still says no. I’m just saying I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

They arn't, it would be nice someday..... in the distant future. 

Members
913 posts
11,233 battles
25 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Yeah, but until they actually utilize the company they purchased— Big World— and actually conver the games to 64 bit, multi cpu/gpu/core capable, these games will still be stuck in 2004.

Oh come on, it's 2012-14 at best.

• Boring 1

[STW-D]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,196 posts
15,518 battles
14 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Oh come on, it's 2012-14 at best.

And I said 2004... I don’t give it as much praise as you do.

• Cool 1

Members
3,310 posts
6,698 battles

This is an attempt to keep the WOT populace from getting thinner I am thinking. Also it keep the pressure on other TANK games which compete.  Its a good business move and I congratulate WarGaming in their investiment to keep their game ongoing and advance to the next game level.  Wish them the best even though there are at times I would not when I get deleted in 5 minutes..but that another story for another time. LOL!  

But as for how WOW segues for this engine is another story. The effects in WOW are much less needed than WOT. Basically with the sea rendered it accounts for probably 50-90 percent of the image depending on magnification. Unless they are going to render waves and other special effects like storms and typhoons....it might be over kill.  Only the imagination (and the engine limits) is the limitation as to where this will go. 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,643 posts
7,015 battles
1 hour ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

I have seen it, but I'm just saying.. perhaps if enough peeps ask.. it will come.. 

There is a HUGE amount of work and time involved in what you are asking. Literally years if not the better part of a decade's worth of resources involved. It is not something you can ask for and expect to get just because you want it.

Especially since there is nothing to gain gameplay-wise doing so that the current engine doesn't provide.

In short, if you want a better engine, be ready to be asked what you are willing to do to make that happen beyond simply making threads on the Forums after the devs have said no. Just pushing a dead horse will not make it alive.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

WoWs engine is not going to change in a near future. The current engine works fine for the game, is it the best? no, but it does what the game needs.

Many games intentionally use older game engines because its a way to maximize the player base. 

Members
260 posts
4,070 battles
1 hour ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

A frustrating reality regarding how many applications are not yet 64 bit nor properly written to use multiple cores or GPU's. Ugh!

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles
14 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

For all the money I and many others have put into the game you'd think we would see better graphics by now. 

I think they're gradually finding ways to do more with the graphics engine they're using. Ship by ship I think higher def features are being introduced- transparent bridge windows... uh... and... 

well im out of ideas. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,827 posts
4,361 battles

About the only thing a new engine would do for WoWs is provide a better UI, expand on some of the near-cinematic like battle visuals, and allow more flexibility with other features like storms, weather patterns, or dynamic day/night settings.

Which to be fair, would be great, but is currently something they don't need yet. They're still pushing their BigWorld engine in the hopes of maximizing what they've spent on it, and the game itself still hasn't been pushed to its limits that would warrant a new engine.

I feel that if there will be an Engine change, it'd be around 1.0, if they simply cannot push WoWs any further with the current one. Otherwise, I don't expect it until the big 2.0 release, or until it actually becomes a negative in game reviews.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
5 minutes ago, Xlap said:

WoWs engine is not going to change in a near future. The current engine works fine for the game, is it the best? no, but it does what the game needs.

Many games intentionally use older game engines because its a way to maximize the player base. 

Not to mention an older game engine has most of the bugs either worked out or at least known (with known workarounds). A new game engine comes with new bugs that require fixing. It is often cheaper (and less work) to simply design a new game (WoWS II for example) instead of taking an existing game and rewriting it to work with a new engine.