You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

One of the Most Exasperating thing's in this Game ALMOST as Bad as the Hacker's or Cheater's

78 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,745 posts

Are the people who go AFK Camping on the Spawn Point  or pull back and let other people fight while they run or try to hide:Smile_sceptic::Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,136 posts
12,595 battles

As one of those who has stood, fought (or not, because he couldn't see out of smoke) and had his Fiji sunk while a friendly BB and CL hid behind a rock just behind me until I exploded (and THEN sailed out to do battle), I can speak to the infuriating nature of the latter.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,795 posts
9,426 battles
4 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

There are no hackers or cheaters.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Are the people who go AFK Camping on the Spawn Point  or pull back and let other people fight while they run or try to hide:Smile_sceptic::Smile_sad:

While the latter is annoying, the former could be connectivity issues. 

The other day I queued up in my Zao then was booted to the login screen. So I retyped my pw and got trapped at the briefing screen. I was able to cycle buttons, review the Mini map, everything except load in. So I alt-ctrl-del the game and logged back in again. 

Total downtime during connectivity issues: 8mins.

I was incredibly surprised my ship was still at full HP. And even more surprised I wasn't bottom of my team at the end screens. 

The connectivity thing has gotten so consistently inconsistent I've stopped reporting people for "afk" as I have in the past. If their connections are as up and down mine are some days; they're at their keyboard, the game is just simply not allowing them to play. 

auto pilot to a map corner and do nothing is a different matter though. I'm just addressing the "afk in spawn" thing

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
5 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

The other day I queued up in my Zao then was booted to the login screen. So I retyped my pw and got trapped at the briefing screen. I was able to cycle buttons, review the Mini map, everything except load in. So I alt-ctrl-del the game and logged back in again. 

I was incredibly surprised my ship was still at full HP. And even more surprised I wasn't bottom of my team at the end screens. 

The connectivity thing has gotten so consistently inconsistent I've stopped reporting people for "afk" as I have in the past. If their connections are as up and down mine are some days; they're at their keyboard, the game is just simply not allowing them to play. 

auto pilot to a map corner and do nothing is a different matter though. I'm just addressing the "afk in spawn" thing

When you get booted, don't try to log back in from the login screen it takes you to.

Exit out of that screen, then reload and login. 

Something about logging back in to that screen always causes a hangup.

It'll shave 6 or 7 mins off your login time that you've stated.

It should also automatically log you back into the current match.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
18,136 posts
12,595 battles

IIRC there is a way to tell disconnected from AFK based on turret orientation, but I can't remember what it is.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Had an Aigle yesterday pull forward about 5-6 km, pop smoke, and then sat there the entire battle. He/she never fired or moved. I would have given the "disconnected" benefit of the doubt but the smoke was popped way too far back to be useful and they stopped perfectly in it. It was a really close battle too and he/she almost cost the win. 

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC there is a way to tell disconnected from AFK based on turret orientation, but I can't remember what it is.

Turret rotation.

If they're pointing at the bow and stern, they haven't logged in.

If they're pointing anywhere else, they've logged in.

Ultimately, if you see the turrents actively moving,  they're live.

It would be nice if there was an icon above each ship letting you know if they are logged in.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The check is if the aft turrets are rotated. If they are they're "in-game". If not and they're perfectly straight then they've not connected. 

At least that's what I've gathered inspecting other ships once I've sunk. 

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
26 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

90% of accusations in WoWS random battles do not come under this.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,745 posts
16 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

Ahhhh but about when there's a collection of them all camped/grouped on the spawn point?   And when the red team goes after the Cap there off they go running till sunk?

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

The trend that I'm noticing as of late are BBs who immediately back up of follow the team never entering weapon range with the enemy. I am noticing this most with Bismarcks. If any ship enters weapon range, they either back up or do a U turn and retreat... Until 12 minutes into the game. When there's 8 minutes left in the game, they "come alive" and engage the wounded enemy ships usually getting 1 or 2 kills and surviving to the end of the match (which is usually a loss because we played one (or more) ships down for so long). They usually score dead last (or near it) because they did so little damage, had no spotting, no caps, etc..

Saw it the other day in a Yamato. He followed 4 of us to the C flag, but VERY far behind. Never fired a shot. When our team was down to just 2 ships, he suddenly finds his W key, charges forward and gets 3 kills. He responds in chat that "it worked didn't it", proud of his 3 kills.

The other day a Des Moines did something similar. He was one of two divisions of 3 of the same clan on the same team. He announced at the start of the battle that he didn't have radar equipped, then sailed to the map edge. He was the last ship to be alive on our team, at full health and only fired when an enemy DD finally found him to end the match.

There have always been potatoes in every multiplayer game that want everyone else to do the work while they leach the rewards, but it is getting more and more common here. I play mostly Tier 9 and 10, and I'm seeing this now in roughly 30% of all games I play.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,847 battles
44 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

A few weeks ago I was AFK a number of times after the last update... it just crashed not my fault

as far as letting others do the fighting... some do ...most don’t 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
7 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Ahhhh but about when there's a collection of them all camped/grouped on the spawn point?   And when the red team goes after the Cap there off they go running till sunk?

I had one match a few weeks ago where there was 4x ships "afk" at spawn. My ship was one of them. It was also the only one not to meet its demise once a DD lit them up. None of them moved an inch or fired a gun. 

Occasionally the free damage Piñatas, are beneficial to the time. Some Reds get so focused on "afkers" that they forget there actual players playing and attacking them. 

If red pushes spawn and the "afk" green runs away I tag them as "bots" when I report them. Someone having login issues can potentially be beneficial when the Reds lose focus and only attack that one ship. A Bot that runs and hides is nothing but a hindrance and %Survivability stat booster. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,795 posts
9,426 battles
18 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

I would like to see the proof of that statement please.  Or are you just maybe talking out of your butt?

I mean, you wouldn't just make up a statistic like "90% of accusations" without having so actual data to back it up, right?   Because if you did you would look like an idiot, and I am sure you aren't an idiot, right?

So, let's have a look at the underlying data that lead to that statement about "90%..."

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 2

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
57 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

ALthough it is true that the vast majority of cheating accusations in multiplay are just a good player getting the drop on someone, saying that there is no cheating is also not accurate. Years ago it used to be called "hacking", now it is called "modding". Yes, there are harmless mods that are purely visual in nature. Yes, there are mods that WG has decided to allow.

But there's also mods that violate WGs rules that give clear advantages (years ago we would have called that hacking or using hacks). They remove some of these every so often. But this has lent plausible deniability to those that are cheating. They don't see themselves as cheating, they see themselves as just "using mods". Any "mod" that isn't applied to everyone on the server is in fact a "hack" of the game. Now we can argue over whether a particular "hack" provides an unfair advantage or not, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a "hack".

Anyone (including WG, and WG has tried to say this) that claims that a game is "immune to hacking/cheating" - is either lying or naive. Even in a game like WoWS where all calculations are done server side, still has to send and receive info from each computer playing the game. Those calculations are based upon what info the server receives from the individual computer. Your computer is receiving more info than it is displaying on your screen. Some cheats (others may call them mods) will use this information to show you where to aim, or show you where incoming shells/torpedoes will strike allowing you to steer around their destination before they arrive, others allow you to send info to the server faster than you could if you manually controlled a ship. This could be used to auto-steer around incoming threats using something similar to the waypoint system, but automating it.

I assure you cheating is alive and well in EVERY multiplayer game. Some games more than others, but saying a game is immune to it (as WG staff has recently tried to claim in an interview) is just false information.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
233 posts
6,562 battles
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I believe that if the turrents  are in a  "neutral" position meaning completely lined up on the fore and aft line of the ship, then it's not connected.  Once it connects, the turrents will rotate out.   In my Graf Spee as soon as I connect the torpedo launchers swing out as well. 

[-VT-]
Members
776 posts
8,887 battles

Yesterday in a match had a Hipper that for the last 5 minutes of the match, stayed in on spot out in the open, his stern to the enemy, and periodically shot.  He got 33 base xp for his efforts in the loss....

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,304 posts
17,477 battles

One of the most exasperating things about this game is the amount of people confusing good play and good aim for hacks and cheats.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[--K--]
Members
6,593 posts
14,347 battles

Rule #1 of warships, never trust your team mates to do what you think they should do.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

There are no hackers or cheaters.

Someone accused me of using a hack on the Corgi account when I was undetected at 5.8 km and torpedoed his ship at 6.3 km with a Shenyang. He didn't think that ships should be able to torpedo you undetected. What I am saying there is that the majority of hackusations stem from ignorance of the game, if not just frustration at someone who plays better than you doing something you either can't do or don't like.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,745 posts

On quite a few occasions I've been right on top of a Battleship or Carrier firing at it and seeing it disappear in front of me(the Battleship)only to see it fire back from thin air right in front of me No Smoke and in case of the Carrier have it send up a flight planes that came after me.....................Explain that please?

Edited by shadowsrmine

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

When you get back in, it's always good to say that you were booted, or it took forever to login. Then at least let's everyone know and it'll help your karma.

A few months back, I had problems logging into matches. The countdown timer would run, but I some times wouldn't get the button to enter battle.

I figured out (for me) I should see that button with (at the very least) 15 secs left of the clock. If I got down to 15, I'd kill WOWS in task manager, and reload. It would save me some extra seconds getting into the battle. 

That hasn't happened in a good while, but some might have that issue.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[--K--]
Members
6,593 posts
14,347 battles
20 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

On quite a few occasions I've been right on top of a Battleship or Carrier firing at it and seeing it (the Battleship)only to see it fire back from thin air right in front of me No Smoke and in case of the Carrier have it send up a flight planes that came after me.....................Explain that please?

I think you need to explain your issue better yourself please... I can't make heads or tails what you re talking about. You are right on top of it shooting at it and then it magically appears and shoots at you? How weere you shooting at it if you couldn't see it.